Elvis & The Imposters play Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA August 8, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA August 8, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

The penultimate night of EC and The Imposters' tour with Blondie brings them to the Concord Pavilion in Concord, CA. This is the third of three shows in California on the tour. Previously known as the Sleep Train Pavilion, the Concord Pavilion is "one of the premier outdoor music venues in California". It has a huge seating capacity of 12,500 and there appear to be tickets left at a variety of prices. This is the fifth time EC has played this venue. The most recent show was in July 2008 supporting The Police.
Concord 2019 poster
Concord 2019 poster
elvis-blondie-2019-concord.png (114.2 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
The venue website has this to say about the show:

"Two legendary acts of the 1970s new wave scene, Elvis Costello & Blondie, are bringing their perfectly paired co-headlining tour to Concord Pavilion on Thursday 8th August 2019! Dubbed "Blondie and the Beastly E.C.!", the tour sees the two punk rock-spirited, groundbreaking, chart-topping acts performing a full set headlining set each, and who knows…? There may even be plans for a very special collaboration… Whatever happens, it's sure to be an unforgettable show!

Pioneers of the American punk and new wave scenes in 1970s New York, Blondie was founded by singer Debbie Harry and guitarist Chris Stein in 1974. The group found success in the United Kingdom and Australia with their first two albums (Blondie (1976) and Plastic Letters (1977), but it was 1978's Parallel Lines that brought them mainstream popularity in the US. They followed with a string of hit singles, including "Heart of Glass", "Call Me", "Rapture" and "The Tide Is High", experimenting with a variety of musical genres, including disco, pop, reggae, and early rap music. After releasing their sixth studio album,The Hunter, in 1982, the group disbanded, before reforming in 1997 and returning to form with a number one single in the United Kingdom ("Maria") in 1999, exactly 20 years after their first UK number one single ("Heart of Glass"). The band continues to tour and record together, and they released their eleventh and most recent studio album, Pollinator, in 2017."

Nothing though about EC - whoever is doing his publicity for this tour is not doing a great job - the shows are not yet sold out, and there is a new album and a back catalogue to plug, surely?

Who's going?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA August 8, 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... fa571.html

Setlist

Pump It Up
Clubland
Accidents Will Happen
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie
Unwanted Number
Beyond Belief
Watching the Detectives
A Face in the Crowd
Come the Meantimes
This Year's Girl
Less Than Zero
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
Party Girl
High Fidelity
Alison

Encore:
Everyday I Write the Book
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I schlepped it out there. Great show. Sound was solid. They really sound awesome. Glad I made it. I almost didn’t.

The venue is the worst. There were more Live Nation employees than attendees. At least that was the scene in the lower level. Of course, I was pegged as some psycho stalker or something. I had a lower level seat, was in my section and a group of Live Nation employees with headsets came over to me and basically booted me out of the seat I was in. I had a valid ticket! I guess I must look totally nuts. I felt a Live Nation militant style all over that venue. They really need to loosen up.

At one point, Elvis commented on the energy of the crowd and said we must be all stoned. That wasn’t true. It was the policed state the staff created that made a good show feel miserable. At least for me. Plus, it’s major pain to get to this venue. 2 hrs by Public transport (one way) if you live in SF and probably close to 2 hr by car from anywhere in the area with the crazy Bay Area traffic.

The Live Nation employees have too much of nothing going on. I wager LN is loosing money on that venue or slim margins for sure. I would also wager that venue will close in 2 years. I hope it does and let the staff go with it.

Well, anyhow, great show. EC & band sound better than ever. I was happy to at least experience that.

Sunshine and lollipops - MOJO