"Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Pretty self-explanatory
bobbydriver
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby bobbydriver » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:10 am

£97.50 for a front row seat in Nottingham
First reaction - "whaaaat - you're having my pants down there"

<remembers it's Elvis Costello>

"HAVE MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS!"

*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:50 am

bobbydriver wrote:*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!


That’s the point I made earlier. The addition of the two
ladies has pushed the prices up by over £40 :?

It’s obviously a simplistic comment but it does rankle somewhat.
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

User avatar
FrankieJ
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby FrankieJ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:04 am

FrankieJ wrote:Tried my luck today and got front row for Oxford, so I have a row E centre stalls ticket available if anyone is interested?


Sorry, gone now. Managed to get a refund.

bobbydriver
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby bobbydriver » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am

verbal gymnastics wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!


That’s the point I made earlier. The addition of the two
ladies has pushed the prices up by over £40 :?

It’s obviously a simplistic comment but it does rankle somewhat.


Actually no - because the June 2018 Notts show was already with the two female backing singers...
It was shortly before he cancelled the rest of the tour due to his health issues

It would nonetheless be interesting to know what has actually caused the sharp increase. Nottingham venue has changed the seat pricing plans so the tickets get cheaper the further back you sit. Even so, the cheapest (at the back) is £68 so still quite a difference

At the end of the day I'd pay whatever they charge, so it's not a moan - just curiousity as it's such a difference

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 am

True - I forgot the ladies were there last year. I haven’t seen them yet.

Maybe the band (as self-employed musicians) have set new rates of pay and the permanent staff have had huge pay increases.
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

User avatar
FrankieJ
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby FrankieJ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 am

bobbydriver wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!


That’s the point I made earlier. The addition of the two
ladies has pushed the prices up by over £40 :?

It’s obviously a simplistic comment but it does rankle somewhat.


Actually no - because the June 2018 Notts show was already with the two female backing singers...
It was shortly before he cancelled the rest of the tour due to his health issues

It would nonetheless be interesting to know what has actually caused the sharp increase. Nottingham venue has changed the seat pricing plans so the tickets get cheaper the further back you sit. Even so, the cheapest (at the back) is £68 so still quite a difference

At the end of the day I'd pay whatever they charge, so it's not a moan - just curiousity as it's such a difference


Dare I say this... I think it’s because of his recent health problem. Whoever decided the ticket prices may have seen it as a realisation of Elvis’s mortality and hoped the market would feel the same.

The standing tickets for £52 at Hammersmith were sold out at the presale. I’d pay any price to see him, but doubling the ticket price over night is a bit much for some.

User avatar
Fishfinger king
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:41 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby Fishfinger king » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:44 am

FrankieJ wrote:
The standing tickets for £52 at Hammersmith were sold out at the presale. I’d pay any price to see him, but doubling the ticket price over night is a bit much for some.


As far as I could see it was all seated at Hammersmith??
I got confused too at one presale confusing Eventim Olympia (Liverpool) and Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith).
Is that so surprising nowadays?

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:02 am

I saw general standing tickets for Hammersmith but these are at the back of the venue.

I had the same thought about the ticket prices because of Elvis' health scare. One of the justifications to a very unhappy Mrs VG is that this could be his last tour. We have to be realistic - Elvis is a travelling musician and is getting older. I also think that the increasing prices and my age (to be driving back 100+ miles on the travelling shows) make it something to think about the next time he tours.

If he does solely a week in London then that'll be ok!
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

sulky lad
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby sulky lad » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 am

I too wondered about how many more treks around the UK Elvis ( and I ) could sustain. You could understand him maybe doing a series of nights in the RAH in London and then a night in Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow or Edinburgh in future - I just hope his health holds up and that this isn't a step too far !

johnanderson
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby johnanderson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Top balcony wrote:
See you in Sheffield, I expect I'll be looking down on you!

Colin


Having battled with the Sheffield City Hall booking site, using my phone from a car park in Aquitaine, I was disappointed to see that the “possible restricted view” seats no longer exist.

My inner Yorkshireman kicked in at that point, and I’m in the circle as well. £55 for front row circle seats isn’t so bad.

Nottingham and Manchester can wait until I’m home with a proper computer.

User avatar
Top balcony
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby Top balcony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi John

Our world has turned upside down - I plumped for the £65 seats (that cost £74.51) and find myself in the side stalls Q row - Davy and the singers' side - so you'll be looking down on me!

All the best

Colin

johnanderson
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby johnanderson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:08 pm

bobbydriver wrote:£97.50 for a front row seat in Nottingham
First reaction - "whaaaat - you're having my pants down there"

<remembers it's Elvis Costello>

"HAVE MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS!"

*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!



Two things.

Thing one. The Nottingham show last year was the worst Elv gig I’ve ever seen. We all know why by now, but I’d happily pay more to see better.

Thing two. And this is the important thing. The musicians will want paying in US dollars. The pound has tanked in the intervening months. That will account for about £20 of the price hike. Welcome to Brexit Britain.

johnanderson
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby johnanderson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Top balcony wrote:Hi John

Our world has turned upside down - I plumped for the £65 seats (that cost £74.51) and find myself in the side stalls Q row - Davy and the singers' side - so you'll be looking down on me!

All the best

Colin


I will wave royally from above, left.

User avatar
Harry Worth
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby Harry Worth » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:45 am

Ian Prowse announced as support:
@IanProwse: Probably the most excited I’ve been in 28 years of releasing records.
Taking our 3 piece line up on the road with the legendary @ElvisCostello
Gonna kick the UK’s arse!
Tickets on sale now: https://tour.elviscostello.com/ https://twitter.com/IanProwse/status/11 ... 57/photo/1

sulky lad
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby sulky lad » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:53 am

Having failed to score decent seats at a couple of shows via the Pre-sale site, I've now scored much better ones ( ie 5 -8 rows closer ) on the Ticketmaster or ATG sites - which is rubbish isn't it ? :shock: for example London still available for Row H admittedly a bit pricey but ...............

bobbydriver
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby bobbydriver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 am

johnanderson wrote:Two things.

Thing one. The Nottingham show last year was the worst Elv gig I’ve ever seen. We all know why by now, but I’d happily pay more to see better.

Thing two. And this is the important thing. The musicians will want paying in US dollars. The pound has tanked in the intervening months. That will account for about £20 of the price hike. Welcome to Brexit Britain.


Thing one - well, it was certainly quite a bit shorter and lacking in energy than the previous full band Nottingham gig for the spinning songbook tour (for the record those 2012 tickets were £43), and it was also a fairly safe setlist. As you say, we now know why that was - and also the sound seemed really bad from memory - but I don't think any of these things would have affected ticket price in advance...

Thing two - good point.

Also - Trust is one of my all-time favourite albums, so I'd pay a premium just to see a Trust-heavy setlist!

sulky lad
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby sulky lad » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 am

I took my son to the Nottingham show and he thought the show was OK ( it was his fourth or fifth Elvis show - gradual indoctrination on my pat) but his clearest recollection was the awful sound - I think that's where I said to Pete all i could hear was bass and drums and he replied "What's wrong with that! " and grinned.
I think I've already commented on what the £ will be worth versu the $ by March next year :(

User avatar
Man out of Time
Posts: 1272
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby Man out of Time » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:35 pm

We did our best to unpick the clues that EC posted on Twitter to promote this tour. Now that the dates and venues are published, he has also published this "crib sheet" matching the clues to the venues.

crib sheet.jpeg
JustTrust UK 2020 answer sheet
crib sheet.jpeg (198.06 KiB) Viewed 1250 times


Some clues were straightforward - e.g. Sir Ken Dodd - others less so. Full marks to whoever correctly guessed Sheffield from a photo of the FA Cup FInal at Wembley. Some clues were simply misdirection. It was too much of a stretch to get from "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" on a Belgian cinema poster, to Birmingham. The 39 Steps would have been an obvious clue for the London Palladium, but apparently pointed to the Palace Theatre Manchester. A poster for Goldfinger, starring Edinburgh-born Sir Sean Connery looked obvious too, except that it was a clue for Cardiff, birthplace of Dame Shirley Bassey.

A number of clues remain unsolved. This one for instance... unless there is still a Wigan date to be added to the tour. Any ideas what it was supposed to signify?

17.jpeg
The Road To Wigan Pier
17.jpeg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 1250 times


MOOT

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Postby verbal gymnastics » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Wigan would be too obvious.

There’s probably a venue on the road to Wigan Pier but as I got bored with it all I’ll leave it to others to do the work :lol:

I never saw this clue. Were there many others then? Could this mean there are other dates to follow? Will the tickets be really cheap?

Tune in for the next instalment!
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests