"Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Pretty self-explanatory
bobbydriver

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Post by bobbydriver »

£97.50 for a front row seat in Nottingham
First reaction - "whaaaat - you're having my pants down there"

<remembers it's Elvis Costello>

"HAVE MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS!"

*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bobbydriver wrote:*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!
That’s the point I made earlier. The addition of the two
ladies has pushed the prices up by over £40 :?

It’s obviously a simplistic comment but it does rankle somewhat.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

FrankieJ wrote:Tried my luck today and got front row for Oxford, so I have a row E centre stalls ticket available if anyone is interested?
Sorry, gone now. Managed to get a refund.
bobbydriver

Post by bobbydriver »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!

Actually no - because the June 2018 Notts show was already with the two female backing singers...
It was shortly before he cancelled the rest of the tour due to his health issues

It would nonetheless be interesting to know what has actually caused the sharp increase. Nottingham venue has changed the seat pricing plans so the tickets get cheaper the further back you sit. Even so, the cheapest (at the back) is £68 so still quite a difference

At the end of the day I'd pay whatever they charge, so it's not a moan - just curiousity as it's such a difference
verbal gymnastics

True - I forgot the ladies were there last year. I haven’t seen them yet.

Maybe the band (as self-employed musicians) have set new rates of pay and the permanent staff have had huge pay increases.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

bobbydriver wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:

Actually no - because the June 2018 Notts show was already with the two female backing singers...
It was shortly before he cancelled the rest of the tour due to his health issues

It would nonetheless be interesting to know what has actually caused the sharp increase. Nottingham venue has changed the seat pricing plans so the tickets get cheaper the further back you sit. Even so, the cheapest (at the back) is £68 so still quite a difference

At the end of the day I'd pay whatever they charge, so it's not a moan - just curiousity as it's such a difference
Dare I say this... I think it’s because of his recent health problem. Whoever decided the ticket prices may have seen it as a realisation of Elvis’s mortality and hoped the market would feel the same.

The standing tickets for £52 at Hammersmith were sold out at the presale. I’d pay any price to see him, but doubling the ticket price over night is a bit much for some.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

FrankieJ wrote:
The standing tickets for £52 at Hammersmith were sold out at the presale. I’d pay any price to see him, but doubling the ticket price over night is a bit much for some.
As far as I could see it was all seated at Hammersmith??
I got confused too at one presale confusing Eventim Olympia (Liverpool) and Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith).
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

I saw general standing tickets for Hammersmith but these are at the back of the venue.

I had the same thought about the ticket prices because of Elvis' health scare. One of the justifications to a very unhappy Mrs VG is that this could be his last tour. We have to be realistic - Elvis is a travelling musician and is getting older. I also think that the increasing prices and my age (to be driving back 100+ miles on the travelling shows) make it something to think about the next time he tours.

If he does solely a week in London then that'll be ok!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I too wondered about how many more treks around the UK Elvis ( and I ) could sustain. You could understand him maybe doing a series of nights in the RAH in London and then a night in Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow or Edinburgh in future - I just hope his health holds up and that this isn't a step too far !
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

Top balcony wrote:
See you in Sheffield, I expect I'll be looking down on you!

Colin
Having battled with the Sheffield City Hall booking site, using my phone from a car park in Aquitaine, I was disappointed to see that the “possible restricted view” seats no longer exist.

My inner Yorkshireman kicked in at that point, and I’m in the circle as well. £55 for front row circle seats isn’t so bad.

Nottingham and Manchester can wait until I’m home with a proper computer.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi John

Our world has turned upside down - I plumped for the £65 seats (that cost £74.51) and find myself in the side stalls Q row - Davy and the singers' side - so you'll be looking down on me!

All the best

Colin
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

bobbydriver wrote:£97.50 for a front row seat in Nottingham
First reaction - "whaaaat - you're having my pants down there"

<remembers it's Elvis Costello>

"HAVE MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS!"

*but for the record the same venue and the same seat in 2018 was £55...he better play twice as long!

Two things.

Thing one. The Nottingham show last year was the worst Elv gig I’ve ever seen. We all know why by now, but I’d happily pay more to see better.

Thing two. And this is the important thing. The musicians will want paying in US dollars. The pound has tanked in the intervening months. That will account for about £20 of the price hike. Welcome to Brexit Britain.
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

Top balcony wrote:Hi John

Our world has turned upside down - I plumped for the £65 seats (that cost £74.51) and find myself in the side stalls Q row - Davy and the singers' side - so you'll be looking down on me!

All the best

Colin
I will wave royally from above, left.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Ian Prowse announced as support:
@IanProwse: Probably the most excited I’ve been in 28 years of releasing records.
Taking our 3 piece line up on the road with the legendary @ElvisCostello
Gonna kick the UK’s arse!
Tickets on sale now: https://tour.elviscostello.com/ https://twitter.com/IanProwse/status/11 ... 57/photo/1
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Having failed to score decent seats at a couple of shows via the Pre-sale site, I've now scored much better ones ( ie 5 -8 rows closer ) on the Ticketmaster or ATG sites - which is rubbish isn't it ? :shock: for example London still available for Row H admittedly a bit pricey but ...............
bobbydriver

Post by bobbydriver »

johnanderson wrote: Two things.

Thing one. The Nottingham show last year was the worst Elv gig I’ve ever seen. We all know why by now, but I’d happily pay more to see better.

Thing two. And this is the important thing. The musicians will want paying in US dollars. The pound has tanked in the intervening months. That will account for about £20 of the price hike. Welcome to Brexit Britain.
Thing one - well, it was certainly quite a bit shorter and lacking in energy than the previous full band Nottingham gig for the spinning songbook tour (for the record those 2012 tickets were £43), and it was also a fairly safe setlist. As you say, we now know why that was - and also the sound seemed really bad from memory - but I don't think any of these things would have affected ticket price in advance...

Thing two - good point.

Also - Trust is one of my all-time favourite albums, so I'd pay a premium just to see a Trust-heavy setlist!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I took my son to the Nottingham show and he thought the show was OK ( it was his fourth or fifth Elvis show - gradual indoctrination on my pat) but his clearest recollection was the awful sound - I think that's where I said to Pete all i could hear was bass and drums and he replied "What's wrong with that! " and grinned.
I think I've already commented on what the £ will be worth versu the $ by March next year :(
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

We did our best to unpick the clues that EC posted on Twitter to promote this tour. Now that the dates and venues are published, he has also published this "crib sheet" matching the clues to the venues.
JustTrust UK 2020 answer sheet
JustTrust UK 2020 answer sheet
crib sheet.jpeg (198.06 KiB) Viewed 30384 times
Some clues were straightforward - e.g. Sir Ken Dodd - others less so. Full marks to whoever correctly guessed Sheffield from a photo of the FA Cup FInal at Wembley. Some clues were simply misdirection. It was too much of a stretch to get from "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" on a Belgian cinema poster, to Birmingham. The 39 Steps would have been an obvious clue for the London Palladium, but apparently pointed to the Palace Theatre Manchester. A poster for Goldfinger, starring Edinburgh-born Sir Sean Connery looked obvious too, except that it was a clue for Cardiff, birthplace of Dame Shirley Bassey.

A number of clues remain unsolved. This one for instance... unless there is still a Wigan date to be added to the tour. Any ideas what it was supposed to signify?
The Road To Wigan Pier
The Road To Wigan Pier
17.jpeg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 30384 times
MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Wigan would be too obvious.

There’s probably a venue on the road to Wigan Pier but as I got bored with it all I’ll leave it to others to do the work :lol:

I never saw this clue. Were there many others then? Could this mean there are other dates to follow? Will the tickets be really cheap?

Tune in for the next instalment!
verbal gymnastics

Looking at the US tour reviews there are a lot of concerns about his voice, which to me is also related to the lengths of the set.
ExtremeHoney

Post by ExtremeHoney »

It looks like there are ‘Black Friday’ cut price tickets on offer for some shows. I’ve already got my tour tickets and haven’t looked in detail so can’t confirm if the deal is as good as it claims to be, but might be worth a look.

Check out all the Black Friday deals by clicking the link: https://www.ents24.com/offer/BlackFriday/3115

I’ve still got a front row ticket for Blackpool going spare if anyone wants to treat themselves to a premium seat :lol:
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Picked up a Glasgow stalls ticket for £36.

Bit worried if they are discounting this much this early whether some of the shows will actually go ahead. The prices will have put many off, as we said before.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just a bit galling to find this amount of discount being offered ! :x
ExtremeHoney

Post by ExtremeHoney »

Agreed! That’s why I didn’t look too closely at the deals on offer :wink: :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Fortunately the 50% off tickets aren’t for any of the good shows :lol: