Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
User avatar
Man out of Time
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: just off the coast of Europe
Contact:

Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby Man out of Time » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:18 am

The "Just Trust" tour of the US kicks off with an outdoor show at the Sprint Pavilion in Charlottesville, NC on Wednesday October 23, 2019. The Imposters have never played Charlottesville. Elvis has played two solo shows there in 1984 and 2007. With another Virginia show indoors in Norfolk the following week, it will be interesting to see if this one sells out.

The venue website has this to say about the show:

Elvis_660x360-2f5cd5e051.jpg
Charlottesville Sprint Pavilion
Elvis_660x360-2f5cd5e051.jpg (200.18 KiB) Viewed 7926 times


AN EVENING WITH ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE IMPOSTERS
Elvis Costello and The Imposters will hit the road again in October, as sole headliner after their summer excursion with Blondie.

The tour is entitled, “Just Trust” in answer to the musical questions: “Will they play my favourite song?," or, “Are they going to frighten the horses with a lot of excellent songs that are rarely performed?,” not to mention, “Can I expect the hits of yesteryear and those of tomorrow?"

To which we say: Just Trust Elvis Costello and The Imposters.

This superlative ensemble - Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums, and bass and vocalist Davey Faragher - are once again augmented by singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, all of whom were heard on the acclaimed 2018 Concord Records release, 'Look Now,' numbers from which will surely find their rightful place among the highlights from one of the most formidable song catalogues in popular music.

Despite his recent anomalous inclusion in the Queen’s Birthday Honour’s List, Elvis Costello O.B.E. will not be putting on the airs, but putting on the style for this unique evening of song and mischief.

Get it while you can.

Just Trust Elvis Costello and The Imposters.

Ticket prices:

$45 General Admission Lawn,
$55 Upper Reserved,
$79 Lower Reserved,
$99 Gold Circle "

Who's going to be sitting on the lawn?

MOOT

johnfoyle
Posts: 14606
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Dublin , Ireland

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby johnfoyle » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 am

Who's going?

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 am

Wow...outdoors in late October? I forget. Is it still kinda warm down Virginy way??? Wish i was there.


Weather update: 50 degrees at 9 p.m. tonight, yikes.... KEEP WARM ALL YOU IMPOSTERS!

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 12028
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby verbal gymnastics » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:00 am

So who wants to hazard a guess as to what the first song of the tour is going to be?
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm

I'll take a wild guess with.... LOVER'S WALK

User avatar
GCM
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby GCM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Luxembourg

sulky lad
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sulky lad » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Just to remind Pete of his role -
Strict Time :wink:

Harry Lime
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: West of the Hudson

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby Harry Lime » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 pm

From a Whisper to a Scream.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?

User avatar
And No Coffee Table
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby And No Coffee Table » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Eisenhower Blues.

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 pm

ANCT going outside the box with the first NON TRUST track. I'd love Eisenhower Blues as it is the only KOA song i have never seen live AND i did see each of these TRUST selections. Now, if you offer up PRETTY WORDS, DIFFERENT FINGER or FISH N CHIP PAPER....please, count me In. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
And No Coffee Table
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby And No Coffee Table » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

https://twitter.com/jonwurster/status/1 ... 7243952129

Loitering outside venue for first show of new Elvis Costello tour and he’s soundchecked 3 of my fave deep cuts. No spoilers, you bastards!

User avatar
And No Coffee Table
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby And No Coffee Table » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

sulky lad wrote:Just to remind Pete of his role -
Strict Time :wink:

Congratulations!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ottesville

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Little Triggers
04. Tears Before Bedtime
05. Green Shirt
06. You Little Fool
07. Accidents Will Happen
08. Why Can't A Man Stand Alone?
09. Unwanted Number
10. Less Than Zero
11. 13 Steps Lead Down
12. Watching The Detectives
13. A Face In The Crowd
14. This Year's Girl
15. Radio, Radio
16. High Fidelity
17. Pump It Up
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
19. Stations Of The Cross
20. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
21. Alison - including The Wind Cries Mary and Somewhere
Encore 1
22. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff

User avatar
And No Coffee Table
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby And No Coffee Table » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 pm

I knew from the tour announcement that EC wasn't promising a Trust tour, but I figured confusion over the tour name could lead him to play several Trust songs anyway. Opening with two songs from Trust but not playing any others is not something I expected.

I'm also a little surprised to see only one song from Look Now.

The Gentleman
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:40 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 pm

I gotta confess I’m a bit underwhelmed by the setlist. But perhaps he’ll add more adventurous selections as the tour goes on?

sulky lad
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sulky lad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 am

And No Coffee Table wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Just to remind Pete of his role -
Strict Time :wink:

Congratulations!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ottesville

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Little Triggers
04. Tears Before Bedtime
05. Green Shirt
06. You Little Fool
07. Accidents Will Happen
08. Why Can't A Man Stand Alone?
09. Unwanted Number
10. Less Than Zero
11. 13 Steps Lead Down
12. Watching The Detectives
13. A Face In The Crowd
14. This Year's Girl
15. Radio, Radio
16. High Fidelity
17. Pump It Up
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
19. Stations Of The Cross
20. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
21. Alison - including The Wind Cries Mary and Somewhere
Encore 1
22. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff



:oops: :D

If Elvis wants any extra help for the U.K. tour, I've decided to retire at the end of February to allow me to be available for the whole of March :wink:

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 12028
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 am

The Gentleman wrote:I gotta confess I’m a bit underwhelmed by the setlist. But perhaps he’ll add more adventurous selections as the tour goes on?


I agree but the tours always seem to start like this. There’s a few rarities but I expect a few more one offs as the tour progresses as well as longer sets.
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

sweetest punch
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sweetest punch » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am

Strict Time, Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone, 13 Steps Lead Down and Stations Of The Cross haven’t been played for years.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

sulky lad
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sulky lad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

And when was the last time we had Little Triggers ?

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 12028
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: here at Traitors Gate

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby verbal gymnastics » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 pm

The difficulty is that many of us will never be satisfied with whatever set list is played.

Granted, a lot of the songs haven’t been sung for a long time and I’d love to see them but personally I’d love to see a set where some of the staples have been dropped eg Alison, PLU and Detectives and they just go for it!

But that’s just a geeky fan view. I want sets with *proper* obscurities!
It’s such a shame you had to break the heart you could have counted on

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:23 pm

verbal gymnastics wrote:The difficulty is that many of us will never be satisfied with whatever set list is played.

Granted, a lot of the songs haven’t been sung for a long time and I’d love to see them but personally I’d love to see a set where some of the staples have been dropped eg Alison, PLU and Detectives and they just go for it!

But that’s just a geeky fan view. I want sets with *proper* obscurities!


Understood. But is it fair that anyone takes a first timer friend, cousin or grandchild AND NONE OF THE 3 YOU MENTION ARE PLAYED??? of course not, VG and you know that. Noone is a geekier, ocd stat boy than your ba right here. Nothing played last night would have been a first for me. And i accept that.....maybe, JUST MAYBE, i will not get a debut for my archives next week. Just trying to adopt the contented old fart approach AND ENJOY WHATEVER I AM LUCKY TO SEE. Who knows when it is my last? :D :D :D Get Happy!! Stay Happy!!

sulky lad
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sulky lad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 pm

bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:The difficulty is that many of us will never be satisfied with whatever set list is played.

Granted, a lot of the songs haven’t been sung for a long time and I’d love to see them but personally I’d love to see a set where some of the staples have been dropped eg Alison, PLU and Detectives and they just go for it!

But that’s just a geeky fan view. I want sets with *proper* obscurities!


Understood. But is it fair that anyone takes a first timer friend, cousin or grandchild AND NONE OF THE 3 YOU MENTION ARE PLAYED??? of course not, VG and you know that. Noone is a geekier, ocd stat boy than your ba right here. Nothing played last night would have been a first for me. And i accept that.....maybe, JUST MAYBE, i will not get a debut for my archives next week. Just trying to adopt the contented old fart approach AND ENJOY WHATEVER I AM LUCKY TO SEE. Who knows when it is my last? :D :D :D Get Happy!! Stay Happy!!


It's true from both points of view - memorable gigs for me have been the aforementioned Amsterdam with VG when Elvis and Larkin Poe played "I Turn Around" or Oxford 2010 when Elvis pulled "Point Of No Return" out of a hat ( both times VG and I stared at each in disbelief and delight) but I also recall grinning at Davey from the front of the stage in Bristol in 2005 during "High Fidelity" and the whole joyous nature of that gig. What makes any gig great, to me, isn't necessarily the content rather than the rapport and the joy of both performer and audience and the mutual empathy .

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:57 am

Well, to 2 of my longest and bestest friends here. Mssrs. Gymastics and Lad, pass me my crow to be eaten NOW!
I do declare: NOT ONE, BUT TWO i have not yet seen. So, let me get both NO HIDING and CRAWLING at the Cap. this week, and I'll be well pleased. EC, always THE BEST!!!

sulky lad
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby sulky lad » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:21 am

bronxapostle wrote:Well, to 2 of my longest and bestest friends here. Mssrs. Gymastics and Lad, pass me my crow to be eaten NOW!
I do declare: NOT ONE, BUT TWO i have not yet seen. So, let me get both NO HIDING and CRAWLING at the Cap. this week, and I'll be well pleased. EC, always THE BEST!!!


I'm not sure what eating my crow means - is it a trip to KFC before a gig ! :wink:
I hope you get some super rarities BA, as I said to Favehour, knowing you're there is almost as good as being there myself because I know how much you guys will appreciate it
Have a great time - and maybe next year a trip to NY for me and mrs Sulky !!

bronxapostle
Posts: 4242
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Charlottesville, VA, October 23, 2019

Postby bronxapostle » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:00 am

Wow.... you and the Mrs. to USA. guess i would need to implore MY bride to end her non attendance streak!!! Nah, all i meant by eating crow was that with the appearance of TWO i have never seen last eve, that there is indeed hope i get some added to my list. Best to all, ba


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 53 guests