Elvis and The Imposters play Hershey, PA October 24, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters play Hershey, PA October 24, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters arrive in "Chocolate Town" - Hershey, PA to play the Hershey Theatre on Thursday October 24, 2019. The same theatre is hosting performances of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in September.

The venue website has this to say by way of encouragement to potential audience members:

" Elvis Costello and The Imposters will hit the road again in October, as sole headliner after their summer excursion with Blondie.

The tour is entitled, “Just Trust” in answer to the musical questions: “Will they play my favourite song?," or, “Are they going to frighten the horses with a lot of excellent songs that are rarely performed?,” not to mention, “Can I expect the hits of yesteryear and those of tomorrow?" To which we say: Just Trust Elvis Costello and The Imposters.

This superlative ensemble - Steve Nieve on keyboards, Pete Thomas on drums, and bass and vocalist Davey Faragher - are once again augmented by singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, all of whom were heard on the acclaimed 2018 Concord Records release, 'Look Now,' numbers from which will surely find their rightful place among the highlights from one of the most formidable song catalogues in popular music.

Despite his recent anomalous inclusion in the Queen’s Birthday Honour’s List, Elvis Costello O.B.E. will not be putting on airs, but putting on the style for this unique evening of song and mischief."

Glad to see at least one venue has managed to mention EC's OBE in their write-up, albeit in a way that almost shrugs it off.

Are there trains in Hershey, and are they all painted brown? Will Elvis play "Little Palaces" or "Uncomplicated"?
Who's going to find out for us?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters play Hershey, PA October 24, 2019

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I am!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Enjoy !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stricttime81 wrote:I am!
Tell us when you can Mike
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 24_Hershey

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Green Shirt
04. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love
05. No Hiding Place
06. Accidents Will Happen - including Be Real
07. New Lace Sleeves
08. Why Can't A Man Stand Alone?
09. Unwanted Number
10. Charm School
11. Little Triggers
12. Under Lime
13. Watching The Detectives
14. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
15. A Face In The Crowd
16. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
17. Beyond Belief
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
19. Stations Of The Cross
20. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
21. Pump It Up
Encore 1
22. Crawling To The USA
23. I Hope You're Happy Now
24. Alison - including You've Been Cheatin' and Move On Up
And No Coffee Table

First "Crawling to the USA" since 1977!

Thanks to sulky lad for requesting it! http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 6#p7739923
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

And No Coffee Table wrote:First "Crawling to the USA" since 1977!

Thanks to sulky lad for requesting it! http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 6#p7739923
This is a bit scary - perhaps I've taken over Elvis' mind - first Strict Time and now this :shock:
I suggest Elvis and the boys use the Christmas break to come over to Devon and stay with me to rehearse in my garden and peruse my Elvis collection :wink:

Wonderful to see Charm School also make a rare appearance - hope someone recorded this !
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

OK -- Charm School and Crawling to the USA.

This is developing some intrigue.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

What a gas to hear Crawling to the USA!

Also happy to hear No Hiding Place, Charm School.

Elvis was in much better vocal form tonight, probably the best I’ve heard him sing since 2016.

Sound was pretty good too, still thunderous bass but pretty well balanced.

A very enjoyable evening

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/10/e ... ncert.html

Elvis Costello at Hershey Theatre: 10 takeaways from Thursday’s high-energy concert

Are you feeling run down? A bit listless? Need some pep in your step?

I have a solution: Go see Elvis Costello perform.

The acclaimed singer-songwriter, backed by his band The Imposters, performed a stellar, high-energy set at the Hershey Theatre on Oct. 26 that had the crowd on its feet by the evening’s end. I walked into the theater feeling tired and wondering how I was going to make it to the end of the show. Within the first few bars of the opening song, however, all that was forgotten.

Full confession: I am an unabashed Costello fan and have been since high school, when “Veronica” was hitting the radio (yes, I am old). But even with objectivity thrown out the window (yes, I might have bought a t-shirt, why do you ask?) I feel comfortable in declaring to you, dear reader, that this was a heckuva concert.

Here are a few things I came away with after watching Thursday’s performance from the ongoing “Just Trust” tour:

1. Costello looked great

Elvis Costello (birth name Declan Patrick MacManus) had a rather bad health scare not too long ago, having to cancel some 2018 tour dates in order to recoup from being treated for prostate cancer. Yet if there were any lingering effects from that illness, they were not visible on stage. Resplendent in his wide-brimmed white hat, orange shirt and black-blue suit (only keyboardist Steve Nieve outdid him with a gold-colored jacket), and guitar strap that boasted an “E.C.” on it, Costello commanded the stage, telling stories and jokes, walking up to the edge of the stage as if this verse was just for you dear audience member and conducting the ensemble with a few meager hand gestures. Costello seemed healthy and utterly happy to be on stage making music.

2. He is an incredible crooner

Costello is primarily known for his songwriting skills, which are considerable, but his talents as a singer are worth noting as well. His voice has gotten richer and fuller as he’s aged, making him able to pull off Curtis Mayfield-like falsettos, as he did during the finale of “Allison” or go from a whisper to a full-throated holler on “Unwanted Number” (from his most recent album “Look Now”). Thursday’s concert just underscored what a really powerful singer he’s become over the years.

3. He’s not too shabby on the guitar either

Costello has never been much of a show-off on his instrument of choice, preferring to stick to the melody and drive the song forward. But with a deep red, then green spotlight on him, he delivered a stunning guitar solo on “Watching the Detectives” that ranged from tense, sharp bursts to carefully controlled noise and back again. I hadn’t thought of Costello purely as a guitarist before then, but that rendition made me wonder if I shouldn’t reassess things.

4. Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas are rock gods

Are there any sidemen in history as great as this pair? Probably, but keyboardist Nieve and drummer Thomas deserve places in the hall of fame nevertheless. They’ve been with Costello since nearly the very beginning, as members of The Attractions, and have had notable careers apart from him as well (Nieve has written an opera and worked with David Bowie. Thomas has played with Sheryl Crow, Los Lobos and the Arctic Monkeys.) On Thursday night, the deeply focused Thomas delivered killer fills and licks, while Nieve ran from grand piano to all manner of keyboard and electronic instruments, offering inflections of jazz, soul and new wave as needed. They have proven to be an essential element of Costello’s music and time has not dimmed their talents one iota.

5. The rest of the band isn’t shabby either

Bassist Davey Faragher, a founding member of the band Cracker, and backup vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee offered some wonderful call-and-response and supporting moments during the evening, as well as giving a decided I haven’t been to every show at the Hershey Theatre this year, but it’s tough to imagine a tighter band than The Imposters taking the stage.

6. Costello isn’t afraid to mix things up.

If you’re an Elvis Costello concert, you know that while you’ll likely hear the songs you know and love, it might not be in the manner they were recorded. The most notable, memorable example of this was his cover of “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” (from the album “Get Happy”). Originally delivered at twice the speed, here he slowed it down, drawing out the syllables and bringing it closer to the original Sam and Dave version, bringing out the soulful heart of the song.

7. “Accidents Will Happen” was about an almost-fling he had with a cab driver

Who knew? Introducing the signature song, Costello told the story of how late one night in (one presumes) a haze he found himself being driven to the Mexican border and completely smitten with his taxi driver. Things seemed to be getting serious until she made the mistake of arguing with him about what to play on the radio (she was a Pink Floyd fan). She then drove him awkwardly back to his hotel, where he wrote the song with Nieve at 3 a.m.

8. We got to hear a new song.

Costello has reportedly been working on a musical adaptation of the 1957 film “A Face in the Crowd” for some time now and played the title song from that in-progress show. Introducing the tune, he seemed to suggest that it was going to being taking the stage sometime soon. So that’s something we can look forward to.

9. The youngs don’t seem to love the Costello

Maybe it’s because it was a Thursday night or maybe it’s because it was at the Hershey Theatre and not, say The Chameleon Club, but the bulk of the audience for this show was -- perhaps unsurprisingly -- filled mostly with middle age men and women, all comfy in their sweater vests and fleece jackets. I think the only person under 40 was the LancasterOnline reporter sitting next to me. It seems a shame to me that Costello’s appeal should be limited to the generation that came of age when he first made the scene, but such are the vagaries of show biz. Maybe all the kids had to go to bed early for school.

10. The crowd loved him regardless

Hershey Theatre seemed the perfect venue for Costello and The Imposters, an ornate stage, fraught with history, where the band could dive into Costello’s considerable backlog of material -- delivering classics like “(What’s So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” along with deeper cuts like “Strict Time” and “I Hope You’re Happy Now” (yay, they played my favorite song!) and material off of “Now Look” while making it all seem of a piece, as though the years really weren’t that far apart.

And the crowd seemed to love every minute of it, nodding and clapping along, and getting to their feet for the finale 20 minutes or so of the show, as Costello belted out one great tune after another. Clearly, a concert like this is the cure for what ails you, or at least it was for me (until I left the theater and remembered I was on deadline that is).

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Top 10 show for me! No Hiding Place, Why Can't a Man Stand Alone, Charm School, Little Triggers, Crawling to the USA, Stations of the Cross!
Definitely worth the 6 hours driving roundtrip.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

stricttime81 wrote:No Hiding Place, Why Can't a Man Stand Alone, Charm School, Little Triggers, Crawling to the USA, Stations of the Cross!
Woah, some great stuff for the fans who have heard Detectives and Alison a gazillion times.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

That's a setlist!

"In Elvis We Trust"
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Note that I Can't Stand Up was the slow "bonus disc" version, and was fantastic.

Also, there really were no "encores" because they never left the stage.
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

So envious of these setlists! I hope they come to our coast next year!! Y'all are so lucky. Davey looks great!

Jillbeast
rockcat

Post by rockcat »

The video of "Accidents Will Happen" posted in the gigography is most definitely NOT from this show.
NapoleonDynamie1968

Post by NapoleonDynamie1968 »

This set list was incredible. I was hoping that he was going to do a show that features Trust, but I will take this!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:Unavailable in Europe: https://lancasteronline.com/features/re ... 85e39.html
Review: Elvis Costello's 'Just Trust' tour stops in Hershey
JENELLE JANCI | Staff Writer Oct 25, 2019

Last year, Elvis Costello was forced to cancel six concert dates after a surgery for a “small but aggressive cancerous malignancy.”

Fortunately, the growth was small enough to remove in a single surgery, and Costello recovered after a few weeks. But after something as serious as a cancer scare, it would have been understandable if the 65-year-old singer-songwriter wanted to take a year off.

But that’s just not the type of guy he is.

In fact, he did quite the opposite. In October 2018, he released “Look Now,” his 30th studio album. This past summer, he hit the road for a dual headlining tour with Blondie, and barely caught his breath before embarking on his own fall tour with his backing band, the Imposters.

That jaunt, “The Just Trust” tour, stopped at Hershey Theatre Thursday night. The title is in response to the frequent question preceding a show: “Will the band play my favorite song?”

And Costello proved himself pretty trustworthy. He provided a generous 24-song setlist, chock full of classic hits like “Everyday I Write the Book” and “Watching the Detectives” alongside “Look Now” tracks like “Unwanted Number” and “Under Lime”.

There were a few surprises for hardcore Costello fans, too, like rare live performances of “Charm School,” from his 1983 album “Punch the Clock,” and “Crawling to the USA,” from 1978’s “This Year’s Model.”

Like Costello’s catalog itself, the sound throughout the night was quite dynamic. The infectious adrenaline of “Pump It Up” was nicely balanced with quieter moments, like when Costello started the tender “Allison” with just his voice and guitar.

No man’s an island though, and Costello knows this. He’s surrounded himself with first-class musicians: his longtime collaborators, keyboardist Steve Nieve and Attractions drummer Pete Thomas, esteemed session bassist Davey Faragher, and out-of-this-world fabulous background vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee.

These players helped to fill out the grandness of so many of Costello’s recognizable hits, like his take on Brinsley Schwarz’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”

The Hershey date was just the second date on Costello’s fall U.S. run, and the night wasn’t without a few growing pains. At certain moments, it seemed as though Costello had a hard time hearing his bandmates in his in-ear monitors, as his vocals would lag a bit behind the instrumentals. It never lasted for a full song though, and he always rebounded without fanfare, like a true showman.

For the most part, Costello’s vocals were impressive given the decades between his most popular recordings and present-day. Some higher notes were softer or breathy, but as the set went on, his falsetto only grew sweeter. The magic, though, has always been in his distinct phrasing, which was a treat to hear live.

Another treat: Costello’s well-documented sense of humor, best on display in the anecdotes that accompanied some songs. Before “Accidents will Happen,” he recalled a night in Tucson, Arizona, in 1978 when he briefly fell in love with an attractive taxi cab driver. The enchantment evaporated, he said, when they couldn’t agree on a radio station.

“It was the end of a beautiful romance,” Costello said.

He found a longer lasting love in his audience, though. The attendees at Hershey Theatre spent the last few songs on their feet, grooving as the songs demanded.

“All that screaming and cheering brings back fond memories,” Costello said.

On Thursday night in Hershey, it’s likely Costello made a few more.