Elvis and The Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 29 & 30 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 29 & 30 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters return to the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY for another two nights at the end of October. That will make it eight shows at this theatre since the first appearance there in 2013. For comparison, in the same period, since the start of 2013, Elvis has played exactly one show in the whole of France, six shows in Eire, eight shows in Spain and ten shows in Germany. So the good people of Port Chester are doing pretty well.
The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
Port Chester Poster.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 30934 times
Anyway, here is what the venue website (or possibly a well-crafted press release written in 2009) has to say about these shows:

"Elvis Costello has followed his musical curiosity in a career spanning more than 30 years. He is perhaps best known for his performances with The Attractions, The Imposters and for concert appearances with pianist Steve Nieve. However, he has also entered into acclaimed collaborations with Burt Bacharach, The Brodsky Quartet, Paul McCartney, Swedish mezzo-soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, guitarist Bill Frisell, composer Roy Nathanson, The Charles Mingus Orchestra, record producer and songwriter T Bone Burnett and Allen Toussaint.

Costello’s songs have been recorded by a great number of artists. The list of performers reflects his interest in a wide range of musical styles: George Jones, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Robert Wyatt, Charles Brown, No Doubt, Solomon Burke, June Tabor, Howard Tate, the gospel vocal group The Fairfield Four and the viol consort Fretwork with the countertenor Michael Chance. In 2003, he began a songwriting partnership with his wife, the jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall, resulting in six songs included in her highly successful album ‘The Girl In The Other Room’.

During his career Costello has received several prestigious honors, including two Ivor Novello Awards for songwriting, a Dutch Edison Award with The Brodsky Quartet for ‘The Juliet Letters’, the Nordoff-Robbins Silver Clef Award, a BAFTA for the music written with Richard Harvey for Alan Bleasdale’s television drama series ‘G.B.H.’ and a Grammy for “I Still Have That Other Girl” from his 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, ‘Painted From Memory’.

Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. During the same year he was awarded ASCAP’s prestigious Founder’s Award. There have also been a number of Grammy nominations for his recent albums ‘When I Was Cruel’ and ‘The Delivery Man’.

The late-2003 Deutsche Grammophon release ‘North’ – an album of piano ballads composed, orchestrated and conducted by Costello – retained the number one position on the Billboard Traditional Jazz Chart for five weeks.

In 2004 Costello was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song – “The Scarlet Tide,” sung by Alison Krauss in the motion picture “Cold Mountain.” The song was co-written with T Bone Burnett.

The summer of 2004 saw Costello presenting a series of concerts as part of the Lincoln Center Festival in New York City. Following concerts with the Metropole Orkest and The Imposters, The Brooklyn Philharmonic, conducted by Brad Lubman, gave the premiere concert performance of ‘Il Sogno’, Costello’s first full-length orchestral work.

The music was originally commissioned in 2000 by the Italian Dance Company, Aterballetto, for their adaptation of Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. Following performances in Bologna with the Orchestra del Teatro Communale, the ballet was staged throughout Italy, Germany, France and Russia.

‘Il Sogno’ was subsequently recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Tilson-Thomas. The recording was released in the late 2004 by Deutsche Grammophon and stayed at the top of Billboard’s Contemporary Classical Charts for 14 weeks.

Elvis Costello was commissioned by The Royal Danish Opera to compose an opera based on the life of Hans Christian Andersen. “The Secret Songs,” a “work-in-progress” cycle extracted from the opera, was given its first performance in Copenhagen in October 2005 to an appreciative audience response and enthusiastic reviews. Costello sang both of the leading male roles, Andersen and that of the showman P.T. Barnum, while the leading female role of Jenny Lind was taken by Swedish soprano Gisela Stille.

In January 2006, Elvis Costello was a featured artist at the Sydney Festival in Australia, presenting a series of contrasting concerts. The first reunited Costello with the Brodsky Quartet for excerpts from ‘The Juliet Letters’, while in the second half, Steve Nieve, double-bassist Greg Cohen and soprano Antoinette Halloran joined Costello and the Brodsky Quartet for several newly arranged excerpts from “The Secret Songs.” Costello and Nieve then gave a second concert, in which they drew on some of Costello’s rarely performed compositions.

The festival appearances concluded with two concerts with the Sydney Symphony conducted by Alan Broadbent at the Opera House. The program consisted of a suite from ‘Il Sogno’, followed by a number of Costello’s songs arranged for orchestra by Costello, Sy Johnson, Bill Frisell, Vince Mendoza and Steve Nieve. The program also included compositions by Charles Mingus and Billy Strayhorn with Costello’s lyrics and songs written by Costello and Burt Bacharach for the album ‘Painted from Memory’.

Many of these compositions are also featured on ‘My Flame Burns Blue’, the live recording of Costello’s performance with the Metropole Orkest at the 2004 North Sea Jazz Festival that was released in March of 2006 by Deutsche Grammophon coupled with the suite of ‘Il Sogno’ highlights.

Later that spring, Costello, Nieve and conductor Alan Broadbent presented a program similar to their Australian tour throughout the U.S., including appearances with San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Austin and Baltimore’s symphony orchestras.

2007 saw Costello tour extensively with The Imposters and also with Allen Toussaint throughout the USA and Europe. In autumn 2007 he undertook a highly successful tour, performing solo on “The Bob Dylan Show.”

In late 2007, Costello completed his work on a commission from The Miami City Ballet when he collaborated with world-famous choreographer Twyla Tharp. The work, entitled “NIGHTSPOT,” was premiered in Miami to great critical acclaim in March 2008. A new album with The Imposters entitled ‘Momofuku’ had already been recorded in secrecy in a period of just seven days and was released on April 22, 2008.

In December 2008, Costello launched the inaugural season of his internationally acclaimed music television series Spectacle: Elvis Costello with…. Spectacle is a compelling blend of the best of talk and music television that offers a fly-on-the-wall perspective on the creative process with an extraordinary and eclectic array of guests joining host Elvis Costello to chat, perform and share their passion for all kinds of music. The program's eclecticism and depth reflect its uniquely qualified host, a songwriter and performer comfortable in almost every genre imaginable; a musicologist of formidable breadth and knowledge; a contributor to Vanity Fair; and a noted wit whose stint as guest host on “The Late Show with David Letterman” won rave reviews.

First season’s guests included: Sir Elton John, Tony Bennett, Lou Reed, Julian Schnabel, Smokey Robinson, The Police (Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers), James Taylor, Herbie Hancock, Rufus Wainwright, Rosanne Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Diana Krall, John Mellencamp, Jakob Dylan, She & Him (Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward), Norah Jones, Jenny Lewis, Renée Fleming and President Bill Clinton.

The second season of Spectacle will begin airing in late 2009 and feature guests including Bono & The Edge, Neko Case, Sheryl Crow, Levon Helm, Ray Lamontagne, Lyle Lovett, Nick Lowe, John Prine, Ron Sexsmith, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Allen Toussaint and Jesse Winchester.

On June 2, 2009 Hear Music released Costello’s ‘Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.’ Produced by T Bone Burnett and recorded by Mike Piersante during a three-day session at Nashville's Sound Emporium Studio, ‘Secret, Profane & Sugarcane’ debuted at #13 on the Billboard 200, Costello's highest album chart position since 1980's Get Happy. Following its release, Costello toured extensively with the featured musicians on the album dubbed the Sugarcanes – Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, Mike Compton, Jeff Taylor and Dennis Crouch.

Venue Information:
The Capitol Theatre
149 Westchester Avenue
Port Chester, NY, 10573
http://thecapitoltheatre.com/"

Who's going? (Doc? BA?)

MOOT
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 29 & 30 2019

Post by docinwestchester »

Of course ba and I will represent! The Cap is a 20 minute drive from my house. I've been to dozens of shows there, including all of Elvis'.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:Of course ba and I will represent! The Cap is a 20 minute drive from my house. I've been to dozens of shows there, including all of Elvis'.

My math has these two upcoming as his 7th and 8th there. He does like the place a lot it seems. Me too.... better than the Beacon any old day.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

You know - this is very tempting but then who needs another recording of the same show ??!!! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:You know - this is very tempting but then who needs another recording of the same show ??!!! :wink:
HEY, this ain't the Eagles!!! :lol: :lol:
jmm

Post by jmm »

Mrs and I are planning on the 29th

See you there!!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:Mrs and I are planning on the 29th

See you there!!!
If only one show for me, it's the 29th. Can't wait to see you both there J and M. :D :D
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Hi, all...

I can't say for sure, but it's possible that I'll have an extra tic for 10/30 in Port Chester. Row F, right orch. At price. I'll update on this page as the date approaches.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I'll be there both nights!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
rockcat

Post by rockcat »

bronxapostle wrote: He does like the place a lot it seems.
Considering that this is the only stop on this tour with 2 shows, I would tend to agree. Great venue. I only wish it was closer to my house.
EcfanNY

Post by EcfanNY »

I have an extra lodge ticket for Tuesday night. Too late now! I hope all who went had a great time!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

What a show.... got more than i could have hoped. FANTASTIC
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:What a show.... got more than i could have hoped. FANTASTIC
So glad EC pulled out the stops for you BA>
I bet he knew you were going to be there and made it worth your while!
Looking forward to a full report :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:What a show.... got more than i could have hoped. FANTASTIC
So glad EC pulled out the stops for you BA>
I bet he knew you were going to be there and made it worth your while!
Looking forward to a full report :wink:

More tomorrow...thank you sulky!

STRICT
CLUBLAND
GREEN S
HIDING
ACCIDENTS
SUSPECT
WATCH STEP
WHY CANT
SUIT OF LIGHTS
MAN OUT
TRIGGERS
DETECTIVES
DIFFERENT FINGER
GAMES PEOPLE PLAY
FACE IN CROWD.....these 3 ec piano with girls near
UNWANTED NUMBER
with 99 1/2 Won't Do
PARTY GIRL
HI FI
PLU
STATIONS OF CROSS
CRAWLING TO USA
PUMP
ALISON
w/ you've been cheatin'

8:15 to 10:05

NO HIDING PLACE video

https://youtu.be/VqgDDAeFugU
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

You just gotta luv this guy and band and the girls now in the band. NO SHOW EVER THE SAME.... even if the set were to be the same, THE TAKES WOULD NEVER RESEMBLE! so, my premature retirement from attending lasted a mere 2 days. :oops: :oops: got 5 i had not ever seen before and a helluva performance ALL AROUND. his falsetto was immense, even on a song or two where he began against the ropes, he rose above it AND KNOCKED THE SONG OUT by its end!! NO acoustic guitar all night, the 3 at the piano and MAN STAND with no guitar. I might have heard an additional snippet out of Alison before Cheatin'...tape will tell. And i think Steve was throwing something else in at some jammy ending. Again, I'll investigate. Just FANTASTIC....and my guys: BEST RHYTHM SECTION EVER! naturally, E inquired who might be attending the second show here, and he assured us "We'll be playing all different songs." Surely, a handful will remain, but i imagine easily fifteen not played last night! And, i wouldn't be shocked to get a different opener. Good to be alive and a Costello fanatic.
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote: my premature retirement from attending lasted a mere 2 days.
There is always room for a bad day or two! Good to have you back :-)
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

“Different Finger!”
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Elvis at the Cap, always a treat. Some observations:

1. I really like the current arrangement of Strict Time, the opener. Much more than the standard album version I heard live in 2011. He slows it down and adds the female vocals for a really beautiful effect. I believe that Davey does the vocal arrangements, so kudos to to him for a great job.

2. The transition from PLU to Stations of the Cross was really awkward sounding. I love the album version of Stations, but I didn't like this live version at all, until the very end when Elvis saved the day with one of his trademark spacey/psychedelic guitar jams. Upon wiki review, I saw them do this song in 2011, but don't recall the arrangement. I'll have to review the archives and compare.

3. It seems that Different Finger was an audible. Kitten and Briana had that look of mild confusion when he started, a look we've seen before when EC drops a surprise song on them. At the end of the song he said "I didn't even know I was gonna do that."

4. EC's vocals on the ballads - Why Can't A Man Stand Alone?, Little Triggers, Party Girl - were top notch. Elvis Is King.

5. When introducing the band members during Pump It Up, Elvis called Briana "Kitten Kuroi".

6. Crawling to the USA is a good live song! I think we all knew that it would be. Anyone else think that the lyric about the Russians and the Chinese may have inspired his resurrection of this classic?

7. I like that he's not leaving the stage before the encore. Just keep playing and don't waste time.

8. The merch is limited to 4 different t-shirts and Look Now vinyl. That's it. No poster? C'mon Elvis, take more of my money!

Agree with ba. Tonight will be different, including the opener. 15 different songs would be amazing so let's hope that our resident numerologist is correct. Can't wait to find out.

EDIT: Fixed the spelling of Briana.
Last edited by docinwestchester on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

docinwestchester wrote:3. It seems that Different Finger was an audible. Kitten and Brianna had that look of mild confusion when he started, a look we've seen before when EC drops a surprise song on them. At the end of the song he said "I didn't even know I was gonna do that."
The Wiki shows that this was only the fifth ever live performance of "Different Finger" and the first ever performance with The Imposters (and Kitten and Briana). Of the other four performances, one was a solo show and one with The Sugarcanes, so it is nearly 40 years since Steve or Pete performed it (in 1981). You would think that it might have been a song that the band (and singers) have rehearsed - given it appears on Trust and this is the "Just Trust" tour. But you have to love an artist who can surprise even himself with his song choices.

For those of us who have seen a lot of shows, it does add spice and interest - that "WTF" moment as your brain scrambles to remember the song and decide whether it is a rarity live, or a real rarity.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Hey MOOT....NOT 100% but the song went like this:
FINGER at piano SOLO, girls nearby watching, into
GAMES with girls adding a little bvox then back into
FINGER with JUST PETE coming in to end song.

I could be wrong.... maybe the girls did the bvov for 99 and a Half?? Let's see, video will answer these questions.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I should think they’ve rehearsed most (if not all) the songs from Trust but the shout out caught them off guard.

But that’s me sitting here 1000s of miles away.

And I bet there’s loads of different stuff tonight.

You lucky lucky devils. :mrgreen:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

You are gonna get some great shows too i bet vg. Enjoy when you do.... AND LOOK FOR VIDEOS FROM HERE. :P
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/elvis-cost ... n-tonight/

Elvis Costello & The Imposters played Capitol Theatre (pics, setlist), do it again tonight

Elvis Costello‘s “Just Trust” tour hit the NYC-area on Tuesday night for the first of two nights at Port Chester’s Capitol Theatre. While and he and The Imposters (which includes Attractions members Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas) did play a few songs from 1981’s Trust, the name of the tour is more of a promise to fans that they can expect a great show packed with classics. Flanked by backup singers for some songs, Costello delivered and Night 1 at the Cap included “Accidents Will Happen,” “Clubland,” “High Fidelity,” “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” “Pump it Up,” “Why Can’t a Man Stand Alone?,” Strict Time,” and more.

For “Watching the Detectives,” he did a slowed down version with projections of old noir films behind him, and he also played the title track from the musical version of the 1957 film A Face in the Crowd that he’s working on and said would be out next year. Check out pics from the show in the gallery above, and setlist and video of “Different Finger” and “Games People Play,” below.

Elvis and The Imposters do it again at Capitol Theatre tonight and tickets are still available.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

sweetest punch wrote:http://www.brooklynvegan.com/elvis-cost ... n-tonight/

Elvis Costello & The Imposters played Capitol Theatre (pics, setlist), do it again tonight
Those photos and video are great. Looks like a good show!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/10/30/e ... sonal-life

Elvis Costello Offers Phenomenal Show in Port Chester, Playing Old, New Hits and “Games People Play” First Time Ever

Elvis Costello’s first of two shows in Port Chester, New York (second is tonight, don’t miss it) was a phenomenal outing, combining old songs that hadn’t been heard in a while, and newer ones from his terrific current album, “Look Now.”

But Elvis threw everyone a curve ball, including his band, when he segued from a 1981 song “Different Finger” to the famous Joe South classic 60s hit, “Games People Play.” He’s never played the latter before anywhere, and didn’t tell the band in advance that he was going to do it. When he finished the song, he got up from the piano, walked around the bench, and said, “I didn’t even know I was going do that.”

What does it mean? “Different Finger,” from Costello’s 1981 “Trust” album, is about cheating spouses. Costello hadn’t played it live until last night since 2013, and then only a couple of times. The medley of these two songs might raise questions about Costello’s home life, but he’s also a pretty good fiction writer so maybe he saw a juxtaposition. (He’s been married to singer Diana Krall for a long time.)

Otherwise, Elvis wasn’t terribly talkative during the show, but he and the Imposters– Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, Davey Farragher– were on fire. This foursome makes a huge, beautiful noise, ferocious at times, gorgeously melodic at others. Together for well one 40 years, give or take, they are as supple as ever. These shows highlight songs from “Trust,” so including “Different Finger” wasn’t completely out of left field. But I– having been there in 1981– reveled in “Clubland,” “Watch Your Step,” and “Strict Time” and even wanted more. Those songs hold up, and EC and the Imposters play them with the same urgency as they did in ’81.

There were also a couple of songs– not enough — from “Look Now”: the Philly soul catchy “Suspect My Tears,” the angry “Unwanted Number,” and the lovely “Photographs Don’t Lie.” The “Look Now” album was released after Grammy eligibility last year so it’s eligible this year. It should be nominated in rock album, or traditional rock or pop, but I’m sure it won’t be. That’s the way it goes.

Of Costello’s older songs, there’s a really dramatic presentation of “Watching the Detectives” with a cool video of pulp paperback novels. Elvis is playing the title song from his upcoming Broadway show, “A Face in the Crowd,” based on the movie, which he says we’ll be seeing on stage next year. I was especially thrilled to hear “Crawling to the USA,” a favorite from his early career that has never lost its punch.

Elvis Costello is 65 years old, which is hard to believe since we knew him when he was 25. (I am three years younger, the whole thing is maddening.) He remains the great artist of my age group, the survivor, a force to be reckoned with, a unique, remarkable gift to popular music. And he was in a good mood last night, which is always nice.

Don’t miss this tour.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.