Elvis opening for Neil Young, Vancouver, May 14 & 15, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis opening for Neil Young, Vancouver, May 14 & 15, 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil_yo ... s_costello

Neil Young Announces Vancouver Concert with Elvis Costello

Neil Young has announced he will be returning to Vancouver for a concert with Elvis Costello next month.

This morning, the legendary Canadian songwriter made the announcement, revealing he will play Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Theatre on May 15. Opening the show will be Elvis Costello, and both the artists will be playing solo sets.

Amazingly enough, Queen Elizabeth Theatre is the location of Neil Young's very first solo live performance in Vancouver in 1971.

Tickets for the concert go on sale to the public on Saturday (April 6) at 10 a.m. local time. There is also a pre-sale available via the Neil Young Archives.

As previously reported, Neil Young will play a pair of overseas dates with Bob Dylan this summer. Young also has a series of West Coast dates scheduled for the U.S., and you can see the full schedule here.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis opening for Neil Young, Vancouver, May 15, 2019

Post by verbal gymnastics »

A solo show 8)

And there must be a duet or two!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:A solo show 8)

And there must be a duet or two!
SWEET!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://neilyoungarchives.com/#/news/3/ ... s-Costello

My old friend Elvis Costello will be playing a special guest set at the upcoming NYA Vancouver solo show. This will be a wonderful night!

Elvis is a such a gifted artist and I am happy that he is joining me in for this special show Vancouver! It will be a wonderful gift to see him again and hear his amazing songs live!

This show has been on NYA presale and is now going to general sale.

A second show may be announced. It would initially will be presale and then go on general sale a short time later, just like we always do with NYA shows.
NYA
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Just saw this little surprise gem and was able to scoop up a rather pricey seat on the floor. Should be well worth it!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Re: Elvis opening for Neil Young, Vancouver, May 14 & 15, 2019

Post by bronxapostle »

I'd pay $300 for this in NYC area
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis on Facebook : https://nl-nl.facebook.com/ElvisCostello/

Young At Heart

“For someone who, at seventeen, spent many fruitless hours trying to work out the correct fingering for "Tell Me Why", it was quite a shock to read Neil Young's message regarding my opening set at his upcoming Vancouver shows.

I had been looking for a low-key way to return to the stage after a brief vocational retreat and had imagined that my appearance might come as a complete surprise to the audience. It seems that Neil had different ideas.

I want to thank him for his kind remarks, which I might echo ten-fold and I will look forward to seeing everyone at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, knowing that we will have a fine old time.”
migdd

Post by migdd »

"Vocational retreat"???
Charles

Post by Charles »

The concert gods have been very good to me as I just scored a front row seat for Elvis and Neil Young for the 2nd added show!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

migdd wrote:"Vocational retreat"???
Contemplating the priesthood???
verbal gymnastics

It’s a little holiday in Liverpool seeing his mum.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG wrote [quote][It’s a little holiday in Liverpool seeing his mum./quote]
But NOT visiting Colin TB apparently :shock:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Yes he was in Liverpool. Snapped in 81 Renshaw St a v.small indie record store.
I assume he was also checking on progress of Face in the Crowd at the Royal Court.
Sulky, he did come to mine, but I was out on the allotment. It's a plot :oops:
Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone ?

Charles , Ken & Susan - fans I know in other forums - are going so I hope to be able to pass on details.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Looks like a short opening set.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Vancouver

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Either Side Of The Same Town
03. Monkey To Man
04. Veronica
05. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
06. A Face In The Crowd

And No Coffee Table

https://vancouversun.com/entertainment/ ... -vancouver

Review: Neil Young and Elvis Costello in Vancouver
By Stuart Derdeyn

Eight acoustic guitars, one electric, one banjo, two amps, three pianos and an organ. The stage set-up at the first of Neil Young’s two night solo stand at the Queen Elizabeth theatre was certainly full.

Young played his first solo show in Vancouver at the venue in 1971 and said as much before he broke into Buffalo Springfield’s On the Way Home.

That song was old in 1971, but it still sounds great and so decidedly Neil. So is Cinnamon Girl, but without Crazy Horse or Promise of the Real behind him on it, there were elements of campfire singalong to the classic rock standard. But one suspects that the version coming off the stage probably was how it sounded being previewed at the Trobadour before it was first recorded.

No doubt about it, Young is a master of the solo performance.

His acoustic guitar playing is dramatic, with perfectly placed percussive slaps, reverberant picking and a fluidity that flows right along with his lyrical hooks. The pauses and muted chording in Old Man were riveting. And the audience singalong was pretty happening too.

Thanks to the sound crew for the impeccable mix which gave that quavering, high-pitched unique voice all the oomph it needed to fill the room as he pulled out a set that featured show-stopping tales of lesser know tunes such as Green is Blue and Eternity. He took a pause in the latter number to berate the crowd for its spontaneous off-tempo clapping which was pretty hilarious.

“If anybody comes back tomorrow, you better know it better than that.”

Then he had more water — an ongoing joke about nectar of the Gods — before proving that After the Goldrush is an enduring work of songwriting genius whose lyrics still resonate.

That holds true for so much of the songwriter’s finest moments. He is one-of-a-kind for sure; sometimes maddening and often mediocre. But when he is on and the set list is this well chosen, as in the version of Mother Earth played on the pipe organ, Neil Young is at his best.

Free from endless guitar solos, you can really appreciate the melodies, the lyrical intelligence and genuine emotion he pours into his art. The comic relief of watching him prowl the stage deciding which instrument to play was funny and his dry wit paints a curmudgeonly picture. It works.

The cigar store Indian on stage certainly didn’t. Why is it there?

Elvis Costello was an added bonus as the opening act.

“It’s my first show in six months and a special one because my boys are here tonight.”

Elvis Costello solo isn’t something that his fans see too often and it was a good gig for the kids to come to as daddy got a standing ovation.

He certainly worked for it.

Known for the driving backing of the Imposters and his own slashing guitar style more than his strumming side, Costello is most certainly a writer in the English folk tradition drawing out narratives of working class lives and old families. Even his grandfather entered into his banter as he recounted how his relative losing his job as an ocean liner entertainer inspired the moving Jimmie Standing in the Rain. By the time he sat behind the piano to croon the new A Face in the Crowd, he was in fine voice and full control of the material.

The same can’t be said for those big pop choruses in classics from his career such as the opener Accidents Will Happen or Veronica.

Stripped of the bouncy backing band, Costello jumbled the choruses and, at times, seemed at odds with the timing of the tunes.

Truth is, he has a huge catalogue and based upon past set lists has been playing around with what works or doesn’t.

That’s what you have to do when you translate your material to just one musician and a guitar. Personally, it would be great if he did more piano playing as he seemed right at home with the instrument and its full sound behind him.

At least he hasn’t strapped on a harmonica.
verbal gymnastics

"...Costello jumbled the choruses and, at times, seemed at odds with the timing of the tunes"

Diplomatic.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil_y ... _bc_may_14

Neil Young / Elvis Costello
Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver BC, May 14

(...)
Elvis Costello solo and acoustic is a rarity and a treat for that reason alone. Unfortunately, Costello's solo arrangement drained a vital classic like "Veronica" of life and he clunked through a tepid start with "Accidents Will Happen" and "Either Side of the Same Town." He gained his footing when he showed his cheeky side, though. On "Monkey to Man," he roasted loudmouth malcontents who occupy political office. He voiced similar commentary on a new piano number, "A Face in the Crowd." After only six songs, the audience rose in applause, proving how little an artist of such renown requires to get a standing ovation.
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Vancouver

01. Mystery Dance
02. Brilliant Mistake - including Tangled Up In Blue
03. Just Like A Jukebox
04. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
05. Everyday I Write The Book
06. A Face In The Crowd - on piano
07. Alison - off-mic

Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

And No Coffee Table wrote:< ...03. Just Like A Jukebox... >
:shock:

Oh shit.
I love that song...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I forget where it comes from.... early days???

Ahhh, good old THE WIKI....
I see it was performed at the MAIT 30th anniversary show as i thought was it's era. BUT, NEVER OFFICIALLY RELEASED? cool, oddball selection in an opening slot. But, that is our boy's strong suit. 8) 8)