Elvis Costello & The Imposters 7” Look Now vinyl box set - reduced to $11.99

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Elvis Costello & The Imposters 7” Look Now vinyl box set - reduced to $11.99

Post by bronxapostle »

As per AMAZON anyway. do we really need this one? I SURE hope those four MIA song selections once purported to be part of vinyl deluxe L.P. do NOT surface HERE and now AND EXCLUSIVELY!! gee wiz. :? :?
jardine

Re: LOOK NOW on 8 7" 45's box set coming 2/22

Post by jardine »

hmm. l.n. plus bonus cd = 16 therefore could = eight two sided 45s. I get it, though. We don't need this, so hopefully it is either a waste of money and just ignorable or a beautiful thing...thinking of two sides of 45 sleeves with lots more space for himself's art...
Last edited by jardine on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Well, a $79 price tag. Maybe major art picture sleeves indeed jardine.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is there a box set release of the hat, t shirt, pin badges etc as well? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6RW3PZ/re ... s+costello

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28931283/el ... et-8-discs

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Elvis-Costel ... P00875-45/

Elvis Costello & The Imposters Look Now 45rpm 7" Vinyl 8 Disc Box Set (Color Vinyl)-Elusive Disc
Coming February 22, 2019 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

45rpm 7" Color Vinyl 8 Disc Box Set!

This special box set features 16 tracks on 8 colored vinyl 7" 45rpm singles from Elvis Costello's deluxe version of Look Now, his first studio album with The Imposters in ten years.

Features:
• 8x 7" Vinyl Singles Box Set
• 45rpm
• Color Vinyl
• 16 tracks

Selections:
Disc 1
A: Don't Look Now
B: Under Lime
Disc 2
A: Stripping Paper
B: Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Disc 3
A: I Let The Sun Go Down
B: Unwanted Number
Disc 4
A: Photographs Can Lie
B: Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Disc 5
A: Suspect My Tears
B: Dishonor The Stars
Disc 6
A: He's Given Me Things
B: Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
Disc 7
A: Adieu Paris (L'Envie Des Etoiles)
B: Isabelle In Tears
Disc 8
A: You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way
B: The Final Mrs. Curtain
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

i've got to admit that as someone raised on 'singles' and flip sides (she's a woman!), that list looks utterly delicious (look now! i'm the sort of sucker this is for I guess??). some old memory trace of two songs back to back. getting very very brief memory rushes of waiting for the 'next' single on AM radio. "You think that was great? wait til you hear his next single, Suspect My Tears b/w Dishonor The Stars." 77 bucks, eh???? hmmmmmmm. that's a hundred Canadian
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Is it my imagination or do the A and B sides as listed here do the INVERSE of the original l.p. running order???
jardine

Post by jardine »

yep, one and two switched, three and four switched, etc
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hmmm...prices , including postage to Europe, ranging from €95 to €130....no, thanks.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John Foyle wrote
Hmmm...prices , including postage to Europe, ranging from €95 to €130....no, thanks.
I was put off buying the green vinyl double LP because of the stupid import and postage costs still we'll all be better off here in the U.K. after Brexit for imports :roll:
Seems like the U.S. collectable market is aimed for here. I wonder how many purchasers actually have a decent turntable to play these on ?
jardine

Post by jardine »

to tell the truth, i just bought a new one because i found the l.n. cd so harsh to listen to and, well, 'flat' -- no depth of field so to speak (on earphones it was okay, on the $8000 system, brash and loud, and if i turned it down, too quiet...very strange) and i kept reading about technical stuff regarding look now that was slightly (well, more that 'slightly') beyond me (hoffman board).

"I wonder how the sq is
Is it "jacked up" and "in the red?"
The FLAC download is at a DR 6 average."

??

"DR6 -0.30 dB -7.05 dB 01-01-Elvis_Costello-Under_Lime-SMR.flac
DR7 -0.30 dB -10.08 dB 01-02-Elvis_Costello-Don_t_Look_Now-SMR.flac
DR5 -0.20 dB -6.80 dB 01-03-Elvis_Costello-Burnt_Sugar_Is_So_Bitter-SMR.flac
DR6 -0.30 dB -7.69 dB 01-04-Elvis_Costello-Stripping_Paper-SMR.flac
DR6 -0.30 dB -7.18 dB 01-05-Elvis_Costello-Unwanted_Number-SMR.flac
DR5 -0.30 dB -6.95 dB 01-06-Elvis_Costello-I_Let_The_Sun_Go_Down-SMR.flac" etc. etc.
(if your interested, https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 91/page-11)

gulp!!!

But then this:

"I seem very susceptible to finding crushed music with no dynamic range quite irritating and soulless."

Crushed music. Okay, that I can hear. Not just imagining it. To put this gingerly, my wife doesn't not have a well-tuned ear, and she could tell the difference immediately. The vinyl was warm and deep sounding.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

My only copy of Look Now is the 12 track vinyl which I then recorded onto an audio only CD-R and it sounds great on both formats - I have always come back to vinyl as my primary source (except for a certain number of live recordings - gulp) and the reissues on mobile fidelity have been mind-boggling improved - such as all of Painted From Memory, the muted trumpets now sounding like they're in the same room and the cymbal shots on "New Lace Sleeves from Trust sound intense and sharp. My best copy of Get Happy! is the promo set of 2 x 45 rpm records which pummel every other version to pieces, only matched by the Mobile Fidelity imitation.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

sulky lad wrote:My only copy of Look Now is the 12 track vinyl which I then recorded onto an audio only CD-R and it sounds great on both formats - I have always come back to vinyl as my primary source (except for a certain number of live recordings - gulp) and the reissues on mobile fidelity have been mind-boggling improved - such as all of Painted From Memory, the muted trumpets now sounding like they're in the same room and the cymbal shots on "New Lace Sleeves from Trust sound intense and sharp. My best copy of Get Happy! is the promo set of 2 x 45 rpm records which pummel every other version to pieces, only matched by the Mobile Fidelity imitation.
Sulky, I've got both Painted From Memory and the 45X2 Get Happy!! LPs from Mobile Fidelity and enjoy them very much. Have all the old 70s and 80s albums on original vinyl - but opinion seems to vary as to whether the Mobile Fidelity remasters are any better than original UK vinyl. Is the version of Trust you mention any better than the original F-Beat recording, for instance?

This 8 single Look Now sounds like a gimmick, though - the 2 LP version is great anyway.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger King wrote
Sulky, I've got both Painted From Memory and the 45X2 Get Happy!! LPs from Mobile Fidelity and enjoy them very much. Have all the old 70s and 80s albums on original vinyl - but opinion seems to vary as to whether the Mobile Fidelity remasters are any better than original UK vinyl. Is the version of Trust you mention any better than the original F-Beat recording, for instance?

This 8 single Look Now sounds like a gimmick, though - the 2 LP version is great anyway.
Hi, my experience is that the rematers get better as the albums become more recent, I didn't think MAIT or TYM were much different but from PTC onwards, i was suitable impressed. I still play my B&C on a German white vinyl pressing but otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend the Mobile Fidelity versions. Trust, I thought, was amazing particularly from Strict Time to Shot With His Own Gun - and it's nice to have them on sturdy plastic rather than the flimsy vinyl that passed for hi-fidelity recordings om the 80s.
millaa

Post by millaa »

I have to say, this seems a bit of an after thought and also what's the point. So many versions of this album already. The collector in me gets excited but then I think, would I even play this. #dustgathererontheshelf
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like this is cancelled: all the links to the webshops are dead.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's back, now scheduled for March 1.

https://elviscostello.com/#!/news/298148

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS TO RELEASE THEIR HIGHLY ACCLAIMED ALBUM LOOK NOW AS A SPECIAL EDITION BOX SET OF 8 SEPARATE 7” VINYL RECORDS

Elvis Costello & The Imposters are releasing their highly acclaimed
album Look Now as a special edition box set comprised of 8 separate 7”
vinyl records. Inside you will find 2 tracks per record, on colored vinyl,
4 postcards, and a 16 page booklet of lyrics and artwork.

The box set will be available on Friday, March 1st (Concord Records).
For Elvis fans and record collectors alike, this special box set of his
latest release is a must-have.

Available Friday, March 1st

Pre-order now at:
Elvis Costello Store: https://found.ee/ElvisCostello_LookNowStore
Amazon: https://found.ee/LookNow_BoxSetAmazon
Indie Record Stores: https://found.ee/LookNow_BoxSetIndies

Look Now was released October 12th, 2018 to widespread acclaim. Rolling
Stone called the record "sharp, sophisticated...effortlessly
tuneful...the kind of well-observed pop classicism that's been the
hallmark of his genius", and Pitchfork writes that the album is "a
triumph for Costello, a showcase for how he can enliven a mastery of
form with a dramatist's eye."

Look Now 7'' Box Set Track Listing

Disc 1
A. Don’t Look Now
B. Under Lime

Disc 2
A. Stripping Paper
B. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter

Disc 3
A. I Let The Sun Go Down
B. Unwanted Number

Disc 4
A. Photographs Can Lie
B. Mr. & Mrs. Hush

Disc 5
A. Suspect My Tears
B. Dishonor The Stars

Disc 6
A. He’s Given Me Things
B. Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?

Disc 7
A. Adieu Paris (L’Envie Des Étoiles)
B. Isabelle In Tears

Disc 8
A. You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way
B. The Final Mrs. Curtain
At the Elvis Costello Store link, there's a deluxe edition (and a deluxe edition with coaster set and an even more deluxe edition with test pressings, pocket journal, and bottle opener) with four new songs. The song titles are not revealed, and the question marks on the artwork suggest they are meant to be a mystery. The singles with the new songs "will be mailed separately, in late May."

Back in September a couple of websites listed a vinyl edition of Look Now with "Everyone's Playing House," "The Lovers That Never Were," "If You Love Me," and "Down On The Bottom" as bonus tracks. Are these the four new songs?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Dammit that's nice. Ordered.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
krm

Post by krm »

New songs, yes!!!!
jardine

Post by jardine »

yep. ordered.
jardine

Post by jardine »

i wonder if the four songs are those that were mentioned in the CD thread a while back -- was it a Japanese pressing or something...can't quite recall? (sorry, don't know how to search except scroll through too many pages in that thread...)

found it

Everyone’s Playing House
The Lovers That Never Were
If You Love Me
Down On The Bottom

[sorry, just noticed that anct already suggested this]
Last edited by jardine on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I've been a fan since 1978, and have avidly collected Elvis' music since then. I'm primarily interested in the music, although occasionally (resources allowing) I might splash out on a fancy bit of packaging or something that looks nice. I think I have collected every track Elvis has written or released, 1978-2019. Sadly I can't run to £90 for four new tracks. I feel a bit sad that Elvis is going down this road, but if that's the only way you can make income from your music, so be it.
jardine

Post by jardine »

I agree, Hawksmoor. Different formats, etc., is one thing. But making music out of reach is another. And it may have come to this in order to survive in the weirdly scattered world of music making. Luckily (but unfortunately also) there will be "other" ways once the new stuff is released. But that, in itself, puts me/you/us in yet another awkward position. I really don't like "taking" what an artist produces any more than I like missing out on new music. If I "find" something on line and download it to listen to and end up liking it, I make sure I then buy it from the artist/label and delete the download. Strange times. Perhaps just sell the two new singles as singles? But that then deflates the lure of the expensive box.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I also agree, hence my facetious comment about releasing a box set of the hat, t shirt, pin badges etc as well to bring all of the items into one place.

The new tracks will probably show up somewhere anyway - Record Store Day or a limited vinyl 10" on Lupe-O-Tone or a download EP or a 7" vinyl single/double single or something. There'll be other ways you can legitimately get these. Elvis will realise that demand will outstrip supply. And, of course, completists will want a separate release to the box set.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

There is also nothing here to indicate that these new tracks won't also show up on all the usual streaming sites. American Tune/Lucky Dog was a pricey 10" vinyl collectible but also popped up on Spotify roughly the same time.