ice nine

Re: 5 Favorite Elvis Albums

Post by ice nine »

Juliet Letters
Wise Up Ghost
Blood & Chocolate
My Aim Is True
Get Happy!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
jardine

Post by jardine »

this is waaaaay harder to do that i thought i was going to be (I'm going to hate myself in the morning)

look now
north
painted from memory
get happy

and one more...stay tuned
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Get Happy!
Get Happy!
Get Happy!
Blood And Chocolate
Blood And Chocolate

Seriously though -
Get Happy!
Blood And Chocolate
Trust
Brutal Youth
Mighty Like A Rose/North/Painted From Memory
the latter really really close depending on mood/circumstances etc
Last edited by sulky lad on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

King of America
My Aim is True
The Delivery Man
National Ransom
Look Now
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Get Happy!!
King of America
Kojak Variety
The Delivery Man
Look Now (with Deluxe tracks)
OnesNamedAlfie

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

jeramsey1184 wrote:Get Happy!
King of America
This Year’s Model
My Aim is True
Imperial Bedroom
Agreed. Well, almost; I’d add one exclamation mark...
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Y'all got some strange taste.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

1. Get Happy!! By a country mile, and clearly the greatest long-player of popular music ever recorded. Most of Elvis' other LPs are still miles better than anybody else's, but there is clear blue water between this and the rest. An astonishing achievement that thrills me to this day, and probably the only LP I don't need to own (although I do), because every note is seared on to my brain and I can hear it in my head whenever I want to.

2. Imperial Bedroom
3. This Year's Model
4. Blood and Chocolate
5. Brutal Youth

And already I feel ashamed that I don't have room in my Top Five for King of America, The Delivery Man, Trust, Armed Forces, When I Was Cruel or Momofuku. I mean, how can you have an artist who recorded King of America, but King of America doesn't make his Top Five? How do you have an artists who's recorded Mighty Like a Rose, Spike and Look Now, but none of them make his Top Ten? Ridiculous. A timely reminder, on New Year's Eve, of just how amazing this singer/songwriter is, and why we follow his work so closely.
jardine

Post by jardine »

"I mean, how can you have an artist who recorded King of America, but King of America doesn't make his Top Five? How do you have an artists who's recorded Mighty Like a Rose, Spike and Look Now, but none of them make his Top Ten? Ridiculous. A timely reminder, on New Year's Eve, of just how amazing this singer/songwriter is, and why we follow his work so closely."

yesyesyesyesyes. I also think that this is exactly the reason why the attempt to do a top five is a good idea. Not to end up with a top five, but to end up with exactly this reminder. Ain't it great? Aren't we blessed to have happened here? Yep! Happy new year to all.

And how about a new-year's wish? A small, quick, quiet recording of those left-over Burt songs as a gift to him and us and as a way to disburden e.c. of them as well? And another big noisy mess of a record that Pete can bash through to his heart's content? (Man oh man fans can be greedy, eh?)

But in the end, joy. I hope you know how very much you and your work mean to us and how great this ride has been and still is...Happy new year to you, Diana and the (not so) small fry.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Get Happy
Trust
Imperial Bedroom
King Of America
Blood & Chocolate

2nd tier:
This Year's Model
Armed Forces
Mighty Like A Rose
The Juliet Letters
North

hanging on:
My Aim Is True
Almost Blue
All This Useless Beauty
Painted From Memory
The Delivery Man

read more at https://everybodysdummy.blogspot.com/se ... 20costello
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Get Happy!!
This Year's Model
King of America
Blood & Chocolate
Imperial Bedroom

Not very original, but what I feel. Look Now is extremely good but not sure it even makes nos. 6-10 with the competition available!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Get Happy!!
Blood & Chocolate
Trust
This Year's Model
Brutal Youth

(Too difficult to say which is my favourite, so they're in no particular order).
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hawksmoor wrote
. Get Happy!! By a country mile, and clearly the greatest long-player of popular music ever recorded. Most of Elvis' other LPs are still miles better than anybody else's, but there is clear blue water between this and the rest. An astonishing achievement that thrills me to this day, and probably the only LP I don't need to own (although I do), because every note is seared on to my brain and I can hear it in my head whenever I want to.

2. Imperial Bedroom
3. This Year's Model
4. Blood and Chocolate
5. Brutal Youth

And already I feel ashamed that I don't have room in my Top Five for King of America, The Delivery Man, Trust, Armed Forces, When I Was Cruel or Momofuku. I mean, how can you have an artist who recorded King of America, but King of America doesn't make his Top Five? How do you have an artists who's recorded Mighty Like a Rose, Spike and Look Now, but none of them make his Top Ten? Ridiculous. A timely reminder, on New Year's Eve, of just how amazing this singer/songwriter is, and why we follow his work so closely.
And now I agree with every word written - too many touches of genius to ever completely be listed within a top ten or twenty or fifty since there are rare and beautiful musical moments in every album !
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Punch the Clock
The Delivery Man
My Flame Burns Blue
Momofuku
Secret, Profane & Sugarcane

In that order, which oddly seems to be chronological.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Imperial Bedroom
King of America
Trust
Momofuku
The Delivery Man
jeramsey1184

Post by jeramsey1184 »

OnesNamedAlfie wrote:
jeramsey1184 wrote:Get Happy!
King of America
This Year’s Model
My Aim is True
Imperial Bedroom
Agreed. Well, almost; I’d add one exclamation mark...
Shoot, you’re right. I’m so ashamed
Sugar Mouse

Post by Sugar Mouse »

So interesting how many different albums are appearing on the lists. That being said, Get Happy! has appeared on just about everyone's top 5 list.
cwr

Post by cwr »

1. Mighty Like A Rose
2. Brutal Youth

These two sometimes switch places. Admittedly, BY being my first "new" EC album after I became a fan, it imprinted on me deeply in ways that make it hard to compete with. MLAR is a top 2 pick I arrive at honestly-- I got to know that record at the same time I was absorbing his entire 1977-1993 output. I just think it is a perfectly sequenced album that shows off every kind of song EC does well.

3. Get Happy!!
4. Trust

These two are sort of locked in these slots.

5. Look Now

Admittedly, my #5 slot is fickle and changes a lot. It is hard for any record to get higher than 4 and supplant any of those titles. But right now that is where Look Now lives, and it likely will for a while. Any EC rankings below #5 are so fluid as to be nearly meaningless.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Get Happy!!
The Juliet Letters
Imperial Bedroom
King of America
This Year's Model

Dave
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I have trouble with favorite lists, but it occurs to me that there are Elvis records that mean more to me than others.

1. This Years Model...my fave of the first two and a half years. I used to be so young and angry.

2. King of America...after Elvis fell off the radio with Almost Blue, this is the record that put me back in touch with him. Saw the LP in a used record shop back in Suisun City. Fell in love with him again.

3. When I was Cruel...a good time in my life, and the best rock and roll show I've ever seen. When I grasp at the past, this record is there, taunting.

4. Momofuku...I love this record. It jammed me through some pretty tough existence issues. National Ransom is also a contender, but Momofuku is my bud.

5. Wise Up Ghost...I can't believe it makes the list, but there it is. Elvis clarified the anger of his career in a tight little disguise, got it all out, and grieved in a very cool way. It was hard at first, but then I got it. You have to pack it up and toss it.

I could probably write up something similar for 5ive other Elvis records.

I'm enjoying Look Now, but I think it's going to wind up being a love/hate thing like Painted from Memory.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Trust
Imperial Bedroom
Mighty Like A Rose
Brutal Youth
All This Useless Beauty
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Get Happy!
Imperial Bedroom
King of America
Painted From Memory
All This Useless Beauty

Look Now, National Ransom, and This Year's Model could all easily have made this list also. And Delivery Man and Brutal Youth and Juliet Letters. Very tough to choose.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

I like the way "A Rope Leash" described the list as albums that mean the most . . . as a fan from the beginning, it's interesting to look back at what meant so much as a High-School teen-ager, vs. a young man, vs. a "middle-aged" man (assuming I live to be 100).

As of today, the 5 that "mean the most"

Imperial Bedroom (the 1982 soundtrack to my first "Summer of Love")
North (the 2003 soundtrack to understanding everything that's bitter and sweet about love . . . and Autumn)
The Juliet Letters (one of my favorite EC concerts of all time - UCLA's Royce Hall, March 14, 1993 - proved how great it is)
All This Useless Beauty (the 1996 soundtrack to the end of 1982's "Summer of Love")
Painted From Memory (1998's songs for grown-ups)