Elvis & The Imposters , San Francisco, CA, The Masonic , Dec. 1st 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters , San Francisco, CA, The Masonic , Dec. 1st 2018

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Francisco

01. This Year's Girl
02. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
03. Clubland
04. Green Shirt
05. Photographs Can Lie - including The Look Of Love intro
06. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
07. Tears Before Bedtime - including Heartbreak Hotel
08. The Beat
09. Sugar Won't Work
10. Under Lime - including Jimmie Standing In The Rain intro
11. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
12. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
13. High Fidelity
14. Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
15. Mystery Dance
16. It Must Have Been The Roses
17. Unwanted Number / It Takes Time
18. Alison
19. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
Encore 1
20. Accidents Will Happen
21. Don't Look Now
22. He's Given Me Things
23. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
24. Girls Talk
25. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
26. Pump It Up
Encore 2
27. A Face In The Crowd
28. American Gangster Time
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

55AA66F8-5CCB-4A4F-895B-3FDEE34EA5E7.jpeg
55AA66F8-5CCB-4A4F-895B-3FDEE34EA5E7.jpeg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 16408 times
Great show!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Still coming down from this show. Good times. Here’s hoping they play Jazz Fest this year. I’ll be there!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Odd response from a Twitter account associated with Elvis - https://twitter.com/LupeOTone/status/10 ... 88417?s=19
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I love the Lupe-o-Tone response. Shacker is a legend in his own mind who probably has averaged 2 live shows every year for the past 10 years.

Anyone read his blog bio? Any dude tinkering within a Django framework is probably contributing to a worthless code base that isn’t helping anyone or adding any real value to the co he works for. Shanker... or wait, sorry... shacker should retire from blogging.

(Side note: Not that I know anything... I’m really clueless, but at least I’m fully aware of my cluelessness. One thing I do know, EC/Imps delivered a killer show at the Masonic.)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.sfexaminer.com/elvis-costell ... w-panache/

Elvis Costello looks now and then with panache

On Saturday in concert at San Francisco’s Masonic, Elvis Costello didn’t look like someone who canceled tour dates this year due to health issues or someone who publicly pondered whether he ever would make more recordings.

With his 21st century band The Imposters (longtime cohorts Steve Nieve on piano, Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass and vocals) and soulful backup vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, Costello, 64, dynamically surveyed four decades of his music in a nearly three-hour show, the last California date on his “Look Now and Then” tour.

Music from “Look Now,” Costello’s well-received 2018 album with The Imposters, stood up well with songs from his 1977 angry rock debut: “Watching the Detectives,” “Mystery Dance” and “Alison” from “My Aim Is True.”

While the new tunes display Costello’s classic storytelling and complicated and evocative wordplay, their “uptown pop” musical style reflects appealing collaborations with Carole King (“Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter”) and Burt Bacharach (“Photographs Can’t Lie,” “Don’t Look Now,” “He’s Given Me Things” all were somewhat reminiscent of their material from the pair’s moody, masterful album “Painted From Memory”).

On the other hand, Costello really rocked too, taking uncharacteristically long guitar, showy solos on “Clubland” and “Watching the Detectives.” And he pulled out a 1952 Telecaster, as well.

Yet piano was emphasized in “Unwanted Number.” And on “Deep, Dark Truthful Mirror,” Elvis really pounded out the vocals.

The main set ended with the perennial “Alison” and a lengthy version of the radio-ready “Every Day I Write the Book,” with fun contributions from the ladies on backup vocals joining him front and center stage, behind old-fashioned, stand-up mics.

(The setup looked like something perhaps from the life of his late father, Ross MacManus; Costello goes into loving detail about his dad’s career as a dancehall musician and singer in his jam-packed 2015 autobiography “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink.”)

Nieve gave up his spot at the piano for Costello, who donned a hat after coming back to the stage for a long, 10-tune encore – if one could call it that – and sang a soulful “Accidents Will Happen.”

Things revved up again with a rousing “Pump It Up” and concluded with “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace Love and Understanding.”

Not unlike his amusing Spectacular Spinning Songbook concerts, which through the years have offered the chance hear most tunes from his extensive catalog, 2018’s “Look Now and Then” tour satisfyingly covers the rock elements of Costello’s varied career.

But the novelty of the randomness has been replaced with wisdom and composure that come with age, experience — and having a cancerous malignancy removed one’s body.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Charles

Post by Charles »

This show was absolutely spectacular! I have a ton of pics, that are too large to post here, if anyone is interested. Also, if anyone has the show, please Dropbox it to me. It was so great seeing Jean, Jill, Steve, Suzanne, Maria, Peter, Michael, and everyone else...
P.S. The new songs are amazing live!
jardine

Post by jardine »

MOJO wrote:I love the Lupe-o-Tone response.
yep. me too. . ..

. . . but this was odd or i missed something "Even if you knew the true circumstances"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

jardine wrote:. . . but this was odd or i missed something "Even if you knew the true circumstances"
I'm not sure, but the blogger is a bit presumptuous with the comment about EC's "recent prostate cancer surgery."

There was speculation about prostate cancer based on one line addressed to "gentlemen", but I don't think EC ever confirmed the type of cancer involved.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.sfexaminer.com/2018-best-arts/
2018: The best in arts

(...)
Elvis Costello at the Masonic (December)

Following health issues that caused him to cancel a few dates on his “Look Now and Then” tour, the English rocker, his band The Imposters (pianist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas, bassist-vocalist Davey Faragher) and soulful backup vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, played a dynamic, nearly three-hour show covering four decades of his music, including his excellent new “uptown pop” album “Look Now.” The veteran musician seemed nothing like a man who once said he’d never make another record.