Elvis & The Imposters, St. Louis, MO, Peabody Opera House , November 21st 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, St. Louis, MO, Peabody Opera House , November 21st 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, St. Louis, MO, Peabody Opera House , November 21st 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone ?!
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, St. Louis, MO, Peabody Opera House , November 21st 2018

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 7d679.html

Setlist

This Year's Girl
Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?
Clubland
Don't Look Now
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
Green Shirt
Photographs Can Lie
Girls Talk
The Beat
Dishonor the Stars
So Like Candy
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Watching the Detectives
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
He's Given Me Things
Radio Radio
Alison
High Fidelity
Unwanted Number
Everyday I Write the Book
Under Lime/Jimmy Standing in the Rain
I Want You
Pump It Up
American Gangster Time
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
A Face in the Crowd
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's interesting that (assuming the setlist is in the correct order) that Face in the Crowd ended the show after PLU.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"When the audio system fails mid-show and Elvis Costello just carries on acoustic with “Radio Radio” in a giant opera house."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqd7SFiDgOw/
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

First ever solo acoustic Radio, Radio?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:It's interesting that (assuming the setlist is in the correct order) that Face in the Crowd ended the show after PLU.
I am falling more and more for this song the two years i know it. Show ending gem for certain...even if first time in that slot
jardine

Post by jardine »

sweetest punch wrote:Radio Radio: https://youtu.be/SM8WZMkn_w8
took the (very) long way home yesterday so i could hear all of Look Now loud in the car with sunlight and mountains to the west. now, after that, watching this video, I have to say it. I really love this guy and the work he's given us and still gives. Radio has become one of those unavoidable, memorable moments of music over the past 40 years and to hear it acoustic like this forty years on brings out some of its sadness and disappointment which I sort-of noticed before, but not quite. Not just a good move in a funny circumstance. Also, a great interpretation of his own song.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... c2f4b.html

(Unavailable in Europe)
Sound problems sink Elvis Costello & the Imposters concert at Stifel Theatre
By Daniel Durchholz | Special to the Post-Dispatch 3 hrs ago

Chronic problems with the sound mix and then a total — albeit temporary — outage in the house speakers threatened to turn Elvis Costello & the Imposters’ Wednesday night concert at Stifel Theatre into a Thanksgiving Eve turkey.

It wasn’t Costello’s fault, nor was it the Imposters’. But the sound was so poor on this particular occasion — at a venue where that is very seldom the case — concertgoers could rightly have thought they were being given the bird and told to stuff it.

For their part, Costello and his band battled the bad sound and carried on as best they could. At one point, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer tried to make light of it. “As you know, all elements of show business have a good dose of ritual humiliation involved in them,” he said. “Just look at us tonight.”

Noting that his current tour was titled “Look Now and Then,” he cracked, “I didn’t think the ‘then’ was before they made electricity.”

Give Costello credit for being onstage at all right now. In July he canceled a handful of dates after surgery for what he wrote on his website was “a small but very aggressive cancerous malignancy.” But he is back on the road and his two-and-a-quarter hour Stifel show featured a generous set of more than two dozen songs, seven of them from “Look Now,” his first album of new material in five years and his best in ages.

Much of the concert was given over to fan favorites from deep in Costello’s bountiful catalog. He came out swinging hard with three of those songs, “This Year’s Girl,” “Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?” and “Clubland.”

But even early on, the sound mix was off and Steve Nieve’s keyboards — an essential component of Costello’s sound — were nowhere near as loud as they should have been.

Costello continued with “Don’t Look Now” and “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” collaborations with songwriting deities Burt Bacharach and Carole King, respectively. Perhaps acknowledging that he might need to explain to some fans who Bacharach is (though he has memorably worked with him before), Costello sang a line from “The Look of Love” at the outset of another new song by the pair, “Photographs Can Lie.”

His voice was a little road-worn and somewhat unwieldy on ballads where he reached for high notes. Occasionally, he sang behind the beat, an effective technique when it worked, but causing noticeable misfires — as on “Girls Talk” — when it didn’t.

Near the end of the first hour, the show reached its high watermark with a sequence that began with a dramatic take on “So Like Candy” that Costello paired with the Animals (via Nina Simone) classic, “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood.”

Costello followed that with his noir-ish rocker, “Watching the Detectives.”

But then, near the finale of “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” things went sideways. The house sound cut out completely. The stage monitors continued to work, so Costello didn’t know the audience couldn’t hear him. He tried to carry on with the new song “He’s Given Me Things,” but abandoned it when audience unrest let him know something was awry.

Ever the trouper, Costello grabbed an acoustic guitar and tested the acoustics of the old Opera House, singing “Radio, Radio” without amplification. The audience joined in, then gave him a standing ovation.

When things still weren’t fixed, the musicians left the stage for a few minutes. When they returned, the house speakers were back, but the sound was a mess. Some microphones worked, some didn’t, and Nieve’s keyboards were missing in action for the remainder of the night.

The band powered through “Alison,” “High Fidelity” (unintentionally ironic lyric: “Can you hear me?”), “Everyday I Write the Book” and other favorites. But the show’s subpar sonics couldn’t be overcome.

Still, give Costello points for dropping some choice song references into his own material. “Everyday” swung momentarily into Jean Knight’s soul chestnut “Mr. Big Stuff”; “I Want You” included another Bacharach reference, “I Say a Little Prayer,” as well as the Beatles’ “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”; and the new song “Unwanted Number” transformed into a full version of bluesman Otis Rush’s “It Takes Time.”

Costello also gave a glimpse into his songwriting process, revisiting the character from “Jimmie Standing in the Rain” years later on the new song, “Under Lime.”

After a more or less satisfying encore that included “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” Costello sat down at Nieve’s piano to sing one more: “A Face in the Crowd” from his musical in progress. It should have been a treat, but once again, the microphone wasn’t patched into the house speakers.

Somehow, the situation righted itself by song’s end, but the damage was done.

Costello has had a checkered relationship with St. Louis over the years, once studiously avoiding the city for more than a decade and a half. When he returned, so did his audience, and most (but not all) of the faithful stuck with him through this unfortunate show.

This relationship can’t end like this. Costello’s music deserves a fair hearing and his St. Louis fans deserved better than they got Wednesday night.

Elvis Costello set list:

“This Year’s Girl”

“Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?

“Clubland”

“Don’t Look Now”

“Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter”

“Green Shirt”

“Photographs Can Lie”

“Girls Talk”

“The Beat”

“Dishonor the Stars”

“So Like Candy”/“Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”

“Watching the Detectives”

“Deep Dark Truthful Mirror”

“He’s Given Me Things”

“Radio, Radio”

“Alison”

“High Fidelity”

“Unwanted Number”/“It Takes Time”

“Everyday I Write the Book”

“Jimmie Standing in the Rain”/“Under Lime”

“I Want You”

Encore:

“Pump It Up”

“American Gangster Time”

“(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding”

“A Face in the Crowd”
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So sorry to hear about the sound - there's something up in the Costello camp.

Such a good setlist as well.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
editboy

Post by editboy »

This makes several shows in a row with sound problems. I told the mixer as such in Grand Rapids and he blew me off. EC should do something about this before his reputation becomes "the guy with crappy sound" and people stop coming. Get a new sound guy.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Someone who sees him after show must politely broach the subject. He must be hearing the rumblings by now. I never noticed anything horrible before first night Imperial Chambers 2016 Atlantic City....and i reiterate March 2018 was PERFECT in the three different spots i sat over three different nights. So, WHO or what was different in Port Chester?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:Someone who sees him after show must politely broach the subject. He must be hearing the rumblings by now. I never noticed anything horrible before first night Imperial Chambers 2016 Atlantic City....and i reiterate March 2018 was PERFECT in the three different spots i sat over three different nights. So, WHO or what was different in Port Chester?
Sorry but Port Chester had problems too
editboy

Post by editboy »

bronxapostle wrote:Someone who sees him after show must politely broach the subject. He must be hearing the rumblings by now. I never noticed anything horrible before first night Imperial Chambers 2016 Atlantic City....and i reiterate March 2018 was PERFECT in the three different spots i sat over three different nights. So, WHO or what was different in Port Chester?

"Sound problems sink Elvis Costello & the Imposters concert at Stifel Theatre"

That's a pretty big rumbling.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:

Ok, then there will be NO juxtaposition for the last 25 months of shows, saying ALL SHOWS SINCE BORGATA ARE PISS POOR SOUNDING favedave??? I do not think this the case and really feel Elvis needs to find the culprit. Might indeed be the sound man OR it could be someone wiring or connecting things right there upon the stage!! Right? No insult Dave, just want some resolve about this.
editboy

Post by editboy »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:

Ok, then there will be NO juxtaposition for the last 25 months of shows, saying ALL SHOWS SINCE BORGATA ARE PISS POOR SOUNDING favedave??? I do not think this the case and really feel Elvis needs to find the culprit. Might indeed be the sound man OR it could be someone wiring or connecting things right there upon the stage!! Right? No insult Dave, just want some resolve about this.
What I heard in Grand Rapids was not a "wiring problem," it was a choice by the mixer to present it that way. And if it was, shouldn't he try and fix it instead of sit there as if all is good? After the show, I told him that the bass was too heavy and people down from were complying. He blew me off and told to sit somewhere else. The next show so many people complained on twitter that the venue got involved. The guy is doing a bad job. Replace him.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

editboy wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:

What I heard in Grand Rapids was not a "wiring problem," it was a choice by the mixer to present it that way. And if it was, shouldn't he try and fix it instead of sit there as if all is good? After the show, I told him that the bass was too heavy and people down from were complying. He blew me off and told to sit somewhere else. The next show so many people complained on twitter that the venue got involved. The guy is doing a bad job. Replace him.
If so, JUST FOR TALKING TO YOU THAT WAY, axe him!!! Who is it....do you know?
editboy

Post by editboy »

bronxapostle wrote:
editboy wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:

He wasn't a total d*ck, but certainly acted like there could not be any truth to anything I was saying. A complete blow off. And considering the meltdown that happened at the next couple of shows, he didn't listen to me at all. Don't know who is (I probably could find out), but he definitely works for the EC camp, not the venue.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

editboy wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
editboy wrote:
He wasn't a total d*ck, but certainly acted like there could not be any truth to anything I was saying. A complete blow off. And considering the meltdown that happened at the next couple of shows, he didn't listen to me at all. Don't know who is (I probably could find out), but he definitely works for the EC camp, not the venue.
Listen...40 years later, i like to think 97% of his crew are respectful towards us. Yet, a dick is a dick. Stupid AND RUDE guys should get axed.