Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, Memphis, TN, Orpheum Theatre , Nov. 19th 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Memphis, TN, Orpheum Theatre , Nov. 19th 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Kitten Kuroi & Chris 'Toast' have posted on social media about taking a private flight last night to New York for a 'private gig '. Tonight, I presume, before tomorrow's show in Memphis.
blureu

Post by blureu »

In route to the show. Hoping the gig last night was a short one so they got some rest before travelling back down south.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Several complaints about the sound on Twitter:
HOLY SHIT! @TheOrpheumTN @ElvisCostello is not heavy metal. Adjust these levels. WAAAAAAYYYYYY too loud.
Orpheum Theatre wrote:We’ve let the show know about the sound issues and they are working on it. Thanks for alerting us to the problem!
THANK YOU!! I just walked out to concessions to get a napkin to make ear plugs (and get drinks) and everyone out there was complaining. It’s distorting everything. Apparently several have complained to staff.
Thanks @TheOrpheumTN and @ElvisCostello incredibly disappointing. Instruments/melodies were completely drowned out by overdriven kick drum/low end rumble. I finally left. Will try and catch him next time (hopefully with a different sound crew). A shame.
This breaks my heart. They finally fixed the sound. Last portion of the show was traditional, stellar @ElvisCostello
Lang, who was also unhappy with the sound, had to leave early but posted a partial setlist on Facebook:

Memphis Orpheum. 8:15 start
This year’s girl
Honey are you straight or are you blind?
Clubland
Look at me now
Burnt sugar is so bitter
Green shirt
photographs can lie w “Look of Love” intro
Temptation
Tears before bedtime. Slow. Minor key
Moods for moderns
Why won’t heaven help me?
Either side of the same town
Detectives.
DDT mirror. (Sound fixed finally)
He’s given me things
Mystery dance
Waiting for end of the world
Beyond belief
Pump it up
(Break)
Alison
Everyday I write book w mr big shot
The judgement
I can’t stand up for falling down
High Fidelity
Unwanted number
Suspect my tears. Slow. Voice ragged
Chelsea
Mr and Mrs Hush
(Still playing as we had to leave at 10:15)
editboy

Post by editboy »

Grand Rapids sounded bad too. As did Chicago. In Grand Rapids the bass/subwoofer was so loud that it overpowered the vocals/guitar/keyboards. It sounded like a mistake. I complained to the sound guy afterwards. Kind of being a d*ck he told me it sounded fine to him and I shouldn’t sit so close to the subwoofer.

EC doesn’t need a big subwoofer. He is not Skrillex. And he doesn’t play dance clubs. The vocals are the lead instrument followed by keyboards and guitar playing the melody. What EC’s sound guy does is crank the bass way too loud and then has to fight get what really should be heard (vocals, guitar, and keyboards) above it, and it’s just a mess. Maybe is sounds ok where he sits 25 rows back, but if he got off is chair and checked out other parts of the venue he would realize that in other areas the mix sucks.

In Chicago, crowd members were yelling for the bass to be turned down saying they “couldn’t hear Elvis.” In Grand Rapids, Steve could have taken the night off. No one could hear him.

Elvis’ sound man needs to be shown the door.

Here’s an idea. Let’s ask for our money back at shows where the sound sucks. Maybe someone will listen.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I compared ASBURY PARK to all three March PORT CHESTER audience recordings. November 6th is nowhere near as enjoyable as these March recordings. Something was different back then; i forget what now. I think one crew member allegedly important WAS NOT ABOUT in March. Perhaps resulting in WORLDS better sound without?
editboy

Post by editboy »

Audience recordings can sound much better than actually being there. Too much bass/muddiness can be improved after the fact and levels can be smoothed out. Some mics just won't even pick up the super deep bass.

Sound at EC shows was great for decades. Things seemed to take a turn for the worst during the first Imperial Bedroom shows a few years ago. I seem to remember that on those shows sound was run by someone associated with the venue, not Elvis. I also seem to remember that Elvis had longtime great sound man that is not longer with him. Perhaps he retired a few years ago.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

There is a consistent problem with the bass and drums being way too loud. It depends on where you sit, people always say it's fine in the balcony or way back by the sound desk. But if you're in the first 10 rows, it's a problem. I found the mix better this tour than last, but two of my seats were basically front row, so I was hearing the stage monitors and the PA was going over my head. In Row 5, in Bethlehem, the bass and drums were just on the edge of too loud. Like Port Chester earlier this year. The first night in Port Chester, the subwoofer sounded like it would explode at any minute. On a ballad like You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way, every note Davey tried to play, in a delicate fashion, landed like an anvil. No fault of Davey or Pete, it's the mix. And then the guitar is a thin counterpart, and the keyboards have to fight to be heard.

I wish the band and the sound crew would pay attention to this and not dismiss complaints from the people who pay to see the shows. The sound can,and has, marred the presentation quite a few times lately.

Dave
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

This issue with sound has been rumbling ( see what i did there :wink: ) on for years - at Nottingham in June I said that the first half was spoiled by too much bass and drums to Pete after the show and he joked "What's wrong with that!" but there have been instances throughout the tours with The Imposters in the UK from 2012,13 and 16 where the sound has been muddied and bass heavy and it's not as if Davey pushing to be to the fore ! Having said that, the concert at Cardiff this year was sonic heaven with a perfect mix and my seating was no better than any of the other sows I've attended but it genuinely seems like there is be a problem with so many people complaining about the sound balance. I'm nearing the end of my NHS career Elvis, if you need a new pair of ears for the concerts coming up and a new sound man !!??!! :shock: :D
Incidentally in 2002 at Sheffield I bought Milo and a bald chap who seemed to be a sound person a pint ( each - let money be no object) and tried to get a backstage pass to no avail) but the bald chap was definitely a sound person and often was on stage doing the mixing on the extremis - i haven't seen him at any recent gigs for what it's worth. Also Dave the Welsh sound man doesn't seem to be around anymore , i think MOOT spoke to him a few times.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

As long as we are speaking of these no longer seen, no more ROBBY, right? Or my beloved archrival PADDY!!
editboy

Post by editboy »

I remember the sound at the early IB shows as just having no definition. Entire shows where you pretty much didn't hear EC's guitar. I complained then too. To the sound man, to the venue, and to the tour manager. Wasn't it Chicago where the newspaper review actually pointed it out?

Grand Rapids was different. Bass close to the stage was so loud that it sounded like a mistake. Like something was broken. A sound mixer that thinks that is good should be in another business.

If people complain on twitter that the sound at a concert is bad, it must be really awful.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:As long as we are speaking of these no longer seen, no more ROBBY, right? Or my beloved archrival PADDY!!
Saw Robbie at one of the shows.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:As long as we are speaking of these no longer seen, no more ROBBY, right? Or my beloved archrival PADDY!!
Good to hear....and is he guitar tech???
Shellacandvinyl

Post by Shellacandvinyl »

I was there in the orchestra level, several rows back on the left side, and while I did notice a few people leaving early I didn't think the sound was that bad. EC's voice sounded great - he was really hitting the high notes - especially on Either Side of the Same Town. The performance of He's Given Me Things was breathtaking. Also, that new version of Tears Before Bedtime was incredible, definitely one of the highlights.

Towards the end of the show, you could tell his voice was getting a bit rough but he kept on. There wasn't much after Mr. and Mrs Hush, I think it was just PLU. I was disappointed he didn't play "Under Lime" it's one of my favorites in the new album and I was looking forward to seeing it live.
And you try so hard
To be like the big boys, oh
https://twitter.com/shellacandvinyl
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:
Good to hear....and is he guitar tech???
No he is tour manager
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Whilst there was bad sound, you got The Judgement :shock: (although I appreciate it's not great if you can't hear it properly!).

And Either side of the same town.

It looks like a fairly lengthy set but worrying was his voice was getting a bit rough.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.