Elvis in new Uncut magazine

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis in new Uncut magazine

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.uncut.co.uk/uncut-editors-d ... ear-108178

Introducing the new Uncut… and our Review Of The Year!

Jack White, Paul Weller, Elvis Costello, Stephen Malkmus, Courtney Barnett and more join our celebratory look back over the last 12 months

One of them is a debut by a bunch of thirtysomething Australian coffee-addicts. The title of another is denoted entirely by symbols. A third, meanwhile, imagines an entirely new version of the monarchy… Welcome, then, to Uncut’s Best New Albums Of 2018. Over the last month or so, our team of writers has been busy scrupulously compiling their end of year lists and, after an instructive week or so buried in a spreadsheet, I’m delighted to be able to share the results with you as part of our legendary Review Of The Year which dominates the new issue of Uncut. Incidentally, the issue goes on sale this Thursday – but you can order a copy from us right now.

In these pages, you’ll find a comprehensive look back at our favourite albums, archive releases, films and books from the last 12 months. And to help us, we’ve invited some celebrated friends to offer their own thoughts on 2018 – including Jack White, Paul Weller, Courtney Barnett, Stephen Malkmus, Low and Mélissa Laveaux.

Meanwhile, our free, 15-track CD showcases the artists who have helped soundtrack our year – from Father John Misty to Ry Cooder, Cat Power to Rolling Blackouts, Ty Segall to Julia Holter. Elsewhere, we unearth the latest treasures from Neil Young’s archives, salute the return of Fleetwood Mac, preview some exclusive unseen Prince images and learn the ghoulish tale behind Bauhaus‘ “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”.

Oh, and I’d also like to introduce a new contributor – Elvis Costello, no less, who graciously offered to write his own Album By Album feature for us. Astonishingly, this piece also marks Elvis’ first major appearance in Uncut – a mere 260 issues down the line.

But I guess if I wanted to flam together some kind of positive concluding message about the year in music, I’d probably leave it instead to our cover star – Jack White. In an unusually frank and open interview with Peter Watts, White takes stock on his busy year. Along the way, he pauses to explain exactly what it is that keeps him going. “I’m not a pop star so I don’t have to come up with hits to stay alive,” he says. “I’m very glad I don’t have that sort of pressure, because that wouldn’t be interesting. I get to serve the song rather than any image. That’s something people might not know about me, but it’s always about the song. Whatever it takes to keep the song alive.”

Incidentally, do please do send us your own end of year charts. I’d like to publish a readers’ Albums Of The Year list to run in a future issue of Uncut. Email your entries to me at Michael.Bonner@ti-media.com.

The January 2019 issue of Uncut is now on sale in the UK – with Jack White on the cover. Inside, White heads up our Review Of The Year – which also features the best new albums, archive releases, films and books of the last 12 months. Aside from White, there are exclusive interviews with Paul Weller, Elvis Costello, Stephen Malkmus, Courtney Barnett, Low and Mélissa Laveaux. Our 15-track CD also showcases the best music of 2018.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis in new Uncut magazine

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.uncut.co.uk/publication/unc ... ary-2019-2

Jack White, Neil Young, Paul Weller, Elvis Costello, Courtney Barnett and our Review Of 2018 all feature in the new issue of Uncut, out on November 15.

White is on the cover, and inside we follow him through Europe to learn all about his experimental, thrilling and divisive year, from his Boarding House Reach LP to his growing Third Man empire.

“It’s about putting myself in uncomfortable places and seeing what happens,” Jack tells us.

This issue also features our Review Of 2018, including Uncut‘s top 75 albums of the year and top 30 archival releases, plus books and films. Included in our best new albums of 2018 is a debut by a bunch of Australian coffee addicts, a record whose title is denoted entirely by symbols and another that imagines an entirely new version of the monarchy.

We delve into the latest from Neil Young‘s Archives, Songs For Judy, and hear from photographer Joel Bernstein, who recorded the original tape, just what Young was like in the mid-’70s. “It was a very heady month!” he explains, recalling the tour captured on Songs For Judy.

Paul Weller takes us to his local cafe for a look back at another brilliant year, taking in his celebrated collaborators, his favourite new music and the enduring power of the Fabs: “I want to hear the greatness in things.”

Elvis Costello takes us through his finest work, from My Aim Is True to Look Now, in a self-penned Album By Album piece – “With stupefying arrogance, we set about showing our contemporaries what could be done with their winning formulas,” he says.

Elsewhere, Courtney Barnett answers your questions on gardening, Yorkshire puddings, walk-on music and hanging out with Kim and Kelley Deal. “They’re the coolest people!” she exclaims.

“Where can I get some kombucha on tap?” asks Stephen Malkmus, as Uncut takes a trip through Middle America with the guitarist and his band, the Jicks, discussing “scorching guitars and shit”, socks and the state of US indie-rock in 2018.

In our Instant Karma section, we hear from Ronnie Wood, Gazelle Twin, Hen Ogledd and The Attack, and hear the real story behind Prince‘s Graffiti Bridge, while Mélissa Laveaux reveals the records that have shaped her life. In our Live area, we catch Ry Cooder and Fleetwood Mac.

Our expansive reviews section includes new albums from Jeff Tweedy, Rosali, Willard Grant Conspiracy, The Good, The Bad & The Queen, Pistol Annies and more, and archival releases from Neil Young, Brian Eno, Kate Bush and the Art Ensemble Of Chicago.

Plus, the issue comes with a free Best Of 2018 CD, including stunning tracks from Ty Segall, Elvis Costello, Cat Power, Low, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Ry Cooder, Julia Holter, Kurt Vile, Gazelle Twin and more.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'First major appearance in Uncut'.

Ha!

Elvis was on the cover of the first issue of Uncut in 1997. A feature on the Columbus incident it, along with a alleged grudge against magazine founder Allan Jones, meant Elvis rarely gave it interviews. Allan no longer edits it so it seems things have changed.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _June_1997

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

How major is major? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:How major is major? :lol:
“Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Colin Off Topic
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Top balcony wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:How major is major? :lol:
“Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Colin Off Topic
I think that sums me up actually. There’s less to me than meets the eye!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A interesting , quirky feature. Bruce Thomas gets unqualified praise a few times.

The text will be on wiki in due course, after the magazine has a chance to sell a few copies.

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Squinting at John Foyle's first pic, I see "Dishonor The Stars" is the EC track on the CD.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On MOJO, January 2019 CD it is Stripping Paper
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/elvis-cost ... tch-108336

Elvis Costello: “I felt like driving the car into a ditch”
He looks back at the making of Trust – and nine of his other classics – in the current issue of Uncut

In new issue of Uncut – in shops now or available to buy online by clicking here – Elvis Costello writes exclusively about the making of some of his classic albums, from My Aim Is True to this year’s masterful Look Now.

Recorded at a troubled time, 1981’s Trust targeted Costello’s pop contemporaries. Read what the man himself says about it below:

“Every one of the 45rpm records that we issued between late 1977 and mid-1980 made some kind of showing on the UK hit parade. My face was suddenly on the cover of teen magazines, as unlikely as that may sound now. It’s a sad and predictable story that too much attention can turn a young man’s head. I thought myself above all temptations but wrote a lot of songs about the debris that surrounds them and anything else that flew by my window. That’s what filled Armed Forces and Get Happy!!.

“After some hits, some inexplicable catastrophes and producing The Specials under a laundromat in the Fulham Palace Road, I felt like driving the car into 
a ditch or at least to Sunderland, so, with stupefying arrogance, we set about showing our contemporaries what could be done with their winning formulas. “Clubland” was supposed to be “Message In A Bottle” with a middle eight, “You’ll Never Be A Man” was “Brass In Pocket” with more chords and some ideas hijacked from The “Detroit” Spinners, while “White Knuckles” was like hearing several XTC songs through a haze of scrumpy, gin and sherbet dabs. I doubt any of them were better songs than their models, but it was a lark.

“I wish I could say it kept us out of trouble. Somewhere along the way The Attractions managed to cut what I think of as their most original ensemble performance, “New Lace Sleeves”. Around this time, my publisher told me the song I’d just written on a newly purchased piano reminded him of something by Erik Satie, so 
I went to a music shop to find out what he was talking about and discovered that I could actually 
play the opening bars of a few of his deceptively simple piano pieces. However, I absolutely needed Steve Nieve’s fingers to make sense and music out of my sketch for “Shot With His Own Gun” and then I straightened up long enough to co-produce Squeeze’s East Side Story.”

You can read Elvis Costello’s complete Album By Album feature in the current issue of Uncut, out now.