Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Postby Neil. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:47 am

Just to say that some of the tracks from this concert are available to listen to for the next 29 days (from 2.22.49):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000h4g

x

rightbrain

Re: Elvis & Attractions, Hope and Anchor 1980

Postby rightbrain » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am

Assuming this is the May 14, 1980 show with Martin Belmont on guitar sitting in for Steve Nieve. They made a hash of the original running order of the setlist, but man are these songs played FAST.

Not to open an old can of worms, but Bruce Thomas was absolutely brilliant on every song. I especially liked the surprises in store on Girls Talk - quite different from the recorded version. Thanks for posting!

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Rightbrain wrote
Not to open an old can of worms, but Bruce Thomas was absolutely brilliant on every song. I especially liked the surprises in store on Girls Talk - quite different from the recorded version. Thanks for posting!

Spot on - he almost seems to react to martin Belmont's presence by outstripping him on every song. The ascending bass line on WFTEOTW in particular takes it to a whole new dimension as well as his playing on You Belong To Me and High Fidelity. Absolutely awesome.
I bought a cassette called Elvis - Lyceum 1979 back in the day and thought I was getting an absolute rarity but when I got it home I found it was this BBC broadcast ( also recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour, I believe) I had originally intended to go to this show - I was in my final year exams at Uni and my landlady was on holiday and I'd got a brief respite from exams but the Trades Union Congress organised a day of action as a protest against Margaret Thatcher's government and all public service transport was on strike and I couldn't afford a taxi to take me across North London to the Hope And Anchor !

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am

For the sake of posterity, the live tracks from May 1980 played on the Gideon Coe show last week were:

Girls Talk
High Fidelity
Lipstick Vogue
I Stand Accused
Lipstick Vogue.
Little Sister

All very fast. The live stuff from Elvis starts at 2hours and 20 minutes into Gideon's three hour show.

MOOT

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”