New Tony Bennett & Diana Krall album

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New Tony Bennett & Diana Krall album

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/diana-kral ... 1535375922

Diana Krall on Tony Bennett: ‘You Can’t Step Into His Dream’

The pair will release a new duet album, ‘Love Is Here to Stay,’ on Sept. 14

While on tour in Vancouver, British Columbia, recently, jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall took a break to speak with The Wall Street Journal about “Love Is Here to Stay” (Verve/Columbia), her new duet album with Tony Bennett, due Sept. 14. Here are excerpts from the interview:

How did you feel, emotionally, about recording with Tony Bennett?

Tony’s voice made me feel like Cher in “Moonstruck.” He’s evocative, cinematic, elegant, professional and knows what he wants. He also has a good sense of humor, which put me at ease.

What was different this time from past duets with him?

Tony and I recorded individual songs for his duet albums in 2001 and 2006. Recording an entire album gave me a chance to really listen to him work. On songs, I’d let his vibe happen and then I’d put my vibe on there.

In places, you appear to sing notes while exhaling. Is that hard to do?

I don’t know. I think I still sound like the same 16-year-old kid (laughs). It’s a conversational approach, for sure. I don’t hold notes for very long. I typically sing and play piano, which requires a different vocal approach. I wish I had a voice like Rosemary Clooney or Nancy Wilson or Dinah Washington. They could hold notes.

What was the biggest challenge on this album?

To avoid being self-involved or trying to do what the icon was doing. My goal was to be myself and let Tony be himself. You can’t step into his dream, so I just listened to him sing and enjoyed what he was doing. I tried to keep it all swinging and feeling good.

What surprised you most about Mr. Bennett?

His high notes. He hits them perfectly and hangs on them. His phrasing also is perfect. His voice is so powerful, it’s scary. He cares so deeply about a song and sings it as if it’s the first time.

Who were you thinking of while singing?

Rosemary Clooney. She was a mentor and one of my biggest influences. When Tony and I were recording, I felt Rosemary around me more than any time in life. She was a major force for me, musically and personally. I loved her singing. I miss her.

What did you learn about yourself?

That less is more. Instead of trying to match Tony line for line, I’d take a step back. For example, at the very end of “I’ve Got a Crush on You,” I made an intuitive, artistic choice to let Tony finish the song. While we both sang the last line in unison—“I have got a crush, my baby…” Then I stepped back and let Tony sing the last two words—“on you.” No one closes a song like Tony. At the end, you can hear him laugh.

What does your family think about the new album?

I sat down at home with my husband Elvis [Costello] a week ago to listen to it for the first time. Elvis is my biggest cheerleader. We listened and both of us cried. It’s overwhelming to hear Tony’s voice sing, followed by your own. Everything he’s lived is in that voice.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Re: New Tony Bennett & Diana Krall album

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4154561536

"Watching @DianaKrall & @itstonybennett perform ‘S Wonderful off their album #LoveIsHereToStay on @FallonTonight and meeting @IAMQUEENLATIFAH and @questlove #FallonTonight."

(Although posted today, I believe the photo is from September 18.)