Tribute to Elvis Costello by Bandhouse Gigs , 2017 - recording released August 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Tribute to Elvis Costello by Bandhouse Gigs , 2017 - recording released August 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/bandhousegigs3

'This tribute CD was recorded live at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Virginia on March 11, 2017. BandHouse Gigs is the area's premier producer of tribute concerts and collaborated with over 40 of the DC area's finest musicians to create this CD. This sold out show is energetic and thoughtful, exploring Elvis Costello's entire repertoire.'

https://open.spotify.com/track/6ZCyS7M3 ... a157xnQE2A

1. Pump It Up (Live)

2. You Belong to Me (Live)

3. New Lace Sleeves (Live)

4. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (Live)

5. Pony Street (Live)

6. Lipstick Vogue (Live)

7. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes [Live]

8. Alison (Live)

9. Spooky Girlfriend (Live)

10. Veronica (Live)

11. The Greatest Thing (Live)

12. The Other End of the Telescope (Live)

13. Everyday I Write the Book (Live)

14. Clubland (Live)

15. Man out of Time (Live)

16. Beyond Belief (Live)

17. Girls Talk (Live)

18. Watching the Detectives (Live)
verbal gymnastics

Re: Tribute to Elvis Costello by Bandhouse Gigs , 2017 - recording released August 2018

Post by verbal gymnastics »

8)

That’s a setlist I wouldn’t mind seeing Elvis do!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Re: Tribute to Elvis Costello by Bandhouse Gigs , 2017 - recording released August 2018

Post by sulky lad »

What, even track 4 :roll: ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Edward O'Connell for the copy that reached me today. I look forward to hearing it.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm really enjoying this album. A really tight band , with a muscular full on sound. Highlights are songs from somewhat later in Elvis's career, all the more unique for being so rarely covered. Brian Simm's vocal on Pony Street is brilliant, redefining the song, sounding eerily like peak period Billy Joel. Ditto Tommy Lepson's go at Spooky Girlfriend, giving the song a brashness that the original lacks. The opening of his version of Alison is interesting, incorporating the choral motif from the opening of The Miracle's Tracks Of My Tears, a perhaps knowing nod to the original's reference to another Soul classic, the Spinner's Ghetto Child. Edward O'Connell 's take on New Lace Sleeves is a joy to behold , adding a air of bravado to the calculated air of the original. All in all a hugely enjoyable romp through Elvis's work.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This gets better with every listen. Spooky Girlfriend popped up on random play today on my 'phone - a real blast of a version.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Also available on Apple Music.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Sounds interesting!.............I’ll try and find time to have a listen!