'Under Lime'

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

'Under Lime'

Post by Neil. »

Thought it better to bring this into a separate thread, as it's not about the new album in general.

Having listened to 'Under Lime' a few times now, I'm massively impressed by the unclassifiable epic it's revealing itself to be: a sprawling diatribe that reaches joyous peaks but also plumbs very dark depths that I shudder to think about.

But am I wrong to think there's been some sort of mastering error here, re the piano? Five listens in, and I'm convinced there's been a glitch that has rendered Steve's piano accidentally far back in the mix.

Drums, bass and voice are where they should be, but Steve's piano, which sounds as though it was intended to be the crowning glory of the arrangement, sounds like it's being played five miles away.

I can't believe this is a producer's artistic choice - this piano track would not fight with the vocal, it would only enhance it and glorify it.

Full disclosure: I'm not Steve Nieve, nor anyone related to him. But I'm a human being with ears (though admittedly with a cheap pair of headphones and a blocked left ear that probably needs more than a few drops of Otex!)

Here's hoping that this is an accidental error on the preview release that isn't on the final mix of the album that I'm massively looking forward to!!
Last edited by Neil. on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docinwestchester

Re: 'Under Lime' piano

Post by docinwestchester »

Steve's part is buried, no doubt. It cannot be intentional.

Elvis and/or associates, please look into this.
Neil.

Re: 'Under Lime' piano accidentally quiet?

Post by Neil. »

The piano riff in the chorus of 'Unwanted Number' also sounds accidentally quiet - it feels like it should be as powerful and loud as the vocal, for the benefit of the whole thing. But I'm not a record producer, just a listener!
migdd

Post by migdd »

The piano is exactly where it should be.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

migdd wrote:The piano is exactly where it should be.
Really? Even at 4 mins 30 on 'Under Lime'? (But throughout, really.)

Anyway, maybe it's just me! A louder piano would set the whole thing off, be the cherry on the cake, etc - but it's still a fab, fascinating song!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I really like the track.

I think it’s weird hearing Elvis sing the modern day parlance of “he’s woke”. Additionally as pointed out in the other thread, Elvis definitely sings “confessed” in a David Bowie manner.

For the question in hand, most of you will know that I am no technical whizz, but does the sound depend upon which site you stream from? I’ve listened to it via YouTube and the mix sounds fine to me. Admitted I’ve also only listened to it on my iPhone.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

migdd wrote:The piano is exactly where it should be.

THANK YOU!!!! All the sudden, E has many assistant producers here ACTUALLY thinking they shall remix the track before official release. :roll:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I really like the track.

For the question in hand, most of you will know that I am no technical whizz, but does the sound depend upon which site you stream from? I’ve listened to it via YouTube and the mix sounds fine to me. Admitted I’ve also only listened to it on my iPhone.
THIS!!!

can it be the tiny device you are listening it played upon OR the service you are hearing it from? I would bet "YES."
I mean i have listened exactly ONCE from the youtube thingie and i would NEVER think...."oh, Elvis, you have made a serious sonic mistake here." :lol: :lol:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

bronxapostle wrote:All the sudden, E has many assistant producers here ACTUALLY thinking they shall remix the track before official release. :roll:
Ha ha - well, I've had my say. Despite the one misgiving, I think it's a fabulously weird and wonderful piece that you can't really classify in any of the traditional categories - in that regard it's a bit like 'Beyond Belief'.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I think it’s weird hearing Elvis sing the modern day parlance of “he’s woke”.
Ha! I thought the same thing until I checked our unofficial lyrics sheet (thanks Nunki/ANCT):

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Under_Lime

"We know that he's desperate and we know that he's broke"

Makes more sense.

P.S. I'm listening with Spotify on my desktop PC with very good Bose speakers and the piano is buried at 4:30.
verbal gymnastics

docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I think it’s weird hearing Elvis sing the modern day parlance of “he’s woke”.
Ha! I thought the same thing until I checked our unofficial lyrics sheet (thanks Nunki/ANCT):

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Under_Lime

"We know that he's desperate and we know that he's broke"

Makes more sense.
I listened with my phone up against my ear and you’re right, it is “broke”. Sadly :lol:
jardine

Post by jardine »

"And the last time we saw him he was out in the rain
Watching the train roll down the track
Now he's back in showbiz trying to make a comeback"

is this jimmie standing in the rain?!

oh yes, of course --my first time through looking at the lyrics, then this
"Jimmy is dreaming as she uncrossed her legs
He shuttered his eyes discreetly"
and it's the same sort of failed show biz life,
under limelight, and dead under lime. wow.

also a lovely tick tocking drum part under
"And the clock on the wall tick-tocked the time away" around 4:10. Gosh i'm loving this.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So we've got Neil not hearing the piano and VG mis-hearing the lyrics -
methinks too many concerts at the very front getting hearing impairment for these gentlemen!! :roll:
Incidentally, I think Elvis did a very passable Bowie impersonation on "It's Time" from ATUB didn't he ??
I shall reserve judgement on the new album's sonic qualities until I hold some seriously thick vinyl in my little hands and play it on a PROPER music format !!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:So we've got Neil not hearing the piano and VG mis-hearing the lyrics -
methinks too many concerts at the very front getting hearing impairment for these gentlemen!! :roll:
Incidentally, I think Elvis did a very passable Bowie impersonation on "It's Time" from ATUB didn't he ??
I shall reserve judgement on the new album's sonic qualities until I hold some seriously thick vinyl in my little hands and play it on a PROPER music format !!!

Me too.....i will judge when having spun the GREEN circles. Lol
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:So we've got Neil not hearing the piano and VG mis-hearing the lyrics -
Ha ha - yeah. I also have tinitus from far too much Elvis on my headphones since my long-ago youth. But it was worth it!!!
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

While I agree that the piano could be higher in the mix; it doesn’t get lost. Steve definely shines through. It could have been completely lost in this complicated mix. It reminds of Shabby Doll a little.
P.S. I love Davey’s very Bruce-like bass playing as well.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

MicLewis wrote
P.S. I love Davey’s very Bruce-like bass playing as well.
Couldn't agree more !

I think Davey's ability on bass has blossomed and flourished immensely in the last couple of years, the U.K. shows were fantastic for his playing and the Cardiff show particularly shone with very muscular and fluid bass lines and his own take on "classic" Bruce phrases which didn't seem either like pale imitations or cop-outs but were brilliantly realised and in total harmony in Attractions songs and wonderful improvisations in songs like Chelsea and Detectives - without even mentioning his work on the vocal harmonies and backing vocals -I'm truly really impressed !
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Miclewis wrote: this complicated mix. .
EC performed this @ Bridgewater Hall, Manchester last year. My memory ( which admittedly plays tricks on me ) is of a very simple arrangement, one man and his guitar, pretty sure he introduced it as what happened next to Jimmy.

Fast forward 12 months and I'm not yet in love with the new vocal styling a la Painted From Memory. Chuffed that he's given a nod to The Moptops tho ( When the band starts to play....... ). Imagine that this will be great in concert with the band and backing vocalists in full flow.

Fab to have a new album, can't wait to buy it.

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

With the first 4 words, does any other OLD guy or girl like me, think of ITS A LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY???
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote:With the first 4 words, does any other OLD guy or girl like me, think of ITS A LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY???
Hi BA

Sorry, this very 64 old certainly doesn't hear "TIPPERARY" in that intro!!!!

Best wishes

Colin
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Top balcony wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:With the first 4 words, does any other OLD guy or girl like me, think of ITS A LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY???
Hi BA

Sorry, this very 64 old certainly doesn't hear "TIPPERARY" in that intro!!!!

Best wishes

Colin
:D you will now!!! :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/XVM-tFAdADg

I bet this is Elvis' favorite version and that he has vinyl pictured.
verbal gymnastics

As a 55 year old I know the Tipperary song but can definitely say it didn’t (or since hasn’t even) come into my head.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote: :D you will now!!! :lol: :lol:
err, nope....

But towards the end can you hear EC's hometown pronunciation of " record " ie "RECKERRED" pure Scouse.

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Re: 'Under Lime'

Post by bronxapostle »

Okay, its only me. The phrasing of the few words got me to to that spot in my mindset...What can i say? NOT a bad thing. Like that group of people that hear BOWIE on the single word "confessed" on this same track.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote:Okay, its only me.... .What can i say? NOT a bad thing.
perhaps you have better hearing than the rest of us?

However I do confess I hear Bowie intonations....

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

bronxapostle wrote:Like that group of people that hear BOWIE on the single word "confessed" on this same track.
Top balcony wrote:However I do confess I hear Bowie intonations....

Colin Top Balcony
You can count me in on that group as well!