Footage of Flip City, featuring Elvis, in London in 1974

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Footage of Flip City, featuring Elvis, in London in 1974

Post by johnfoyle »

C. 43 minutes into this , footage of Flip City , featuring Elvis , playing at a festival in London in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNgdRc0Hzus
Neil.

Re: Footage of Flip City, featuring Elvis, in London in 1974

Post by Neil. »

Ha ha - that's great! God, that's my early childhood. Everyone looked like Paul Rogers out of Free - men and women!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A few screengrabs-

Thanks to this tweet for highlighting Elvis's appearance -

https://twitter.com/Wankerpedia/status/ ... 88512?s=19
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Wow, amazing though frustratingly shot footage. Declan's dungarees, seen in photos only before, should surely make a comeback.

Thanks for posting John. When was this discovered?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Dungarees were quite a fashion in London around 1974. I remember lots of kids wearing purple ones held up with black and white straps. (me included)
krm

Post by krm »

Fantastic!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

If you look closely, several members of the forum appear to be in the crowd, - i can definitely see So LackLustre and Man Out Of Time in earlier incarnations and maybe a pre-pubescent JF as well :wink:
The only doubt is - did Neil have long hair in 1974 though ??!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Dungarees were quite a fashion in London around 1974. I remember lots of kids wearing purple ones held up with black and white straps. (me included)
:shock:

Pictures?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Anyone we know?

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Paul posts on Facebook-

I've shared this with the guitarist in Flip City, Steve Hazlehurst. He didn’t know there was film of it, so he’s made up!!
One of the tracks is apparently called “Hog For You Baby” (!)
After this they rushed off to play a gig at Newlands Tavern in Peckham Rye.
krm

Post by krm »

two songs can be heard here:
I´m a hog for you baby (The Coasters), later included on the first Dr Feelgood album Down by the Jetty
and
This old heart of mine (Isley brothers), that is well known for the version by Rod Stewart on his Atlantic Crossing LP
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Dungarees were quite a fashion in London around 1974. I remember lots of kids wearing purple ones held up with black and white straps. (me included)
:shock:

Pictures?
If only mate, sadly we didn't have a camera back then and there are next to no photos of me in the early 70's
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Wow nice find indeed. I wonder what else is still out there to be found.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/elvis-cost ... ideo-1974/

Watch the first known recording of Elvis Costello performing live, 1974

Delving back into the Far Out Vault, we have unearthed some rare footage of Elvis Costello’s first-ever recorded performance which dates back to the summer of 1974. See the music man churn out a host of reasons he was set to be a star.

Costello began his career as part of London’s pub rock scene in the early 1970s and started to build momentum. He was soon swept up as part of the punk and new wave movement in the mid-to-late ’70s, despite being stylistically very unique.

A few years building a cult following resulted in Costello releasing his debut album, My Aim Is True, to critical acclaim. While the record only achieved moderate commercial success, Costello’s style and approach to music had earned him a cult following and his esteem began to grow evermore healthily. Following the success of his debut record, Costello followed it up with his second album, This Year’s Model, which was released a year later and is widely credited as being of the best record’s of that particular era.

Rock and roll acts of rebellion on mainstream American TV would follow, as would majestic performances for the President of the United States amid music royalty at the White House, but Costello always remained grounded after his struggles to reach the top.

For a number of years, Costello worked a few different office jobs to support himself, most famously at Elizabeth Arden, where he worked as a data entry clerk and would later describe it as the “vanity factory” in the lyrics of his song ‘I’m Not Angry’. Just one example of the singer’s ability to turn mundane modernity into something inspirational.

After forming a couple of bands and playing regularly around London, Costello would finally be given his big break when he was signed to the independent record label, Stiff Records, on the basis of a demo tape in 1976. It was at this moment label manager Jake Riviera suggested Costello changes his name and, not holding back, he adopted the name ‘Elvis’.

Two years prior to that moment, Costello had been booked to perform at a free event at the E1 Festival in Stepney, London. A cameraman, filming the community event on an early video camera which only shot in black and white, records the face painting, jazz bands, Indian bands, prize games and more before panning over to the main stage. There, above the warm festival atmosphere, he finds a fresh-faced 19-year-old Elvis Costello.

Costello, fronting his second band Flip City, on a warm Sunday on July 21, 1974. was already taking a liking to the spotlight. The band, made up of Steve Hazlehurst on guitar, Mich Kent on bass and Dickie Faulkner on percussion, were playing what was only their third official gig to date.

The Flip City set at E1 Festival would include renditions of ‘I’m A Hog For You’ and ‘This Old Heart Of Mine’ and their performance can be seen below, starting at around the 42:20 mark. It’s a glimpse of a legend before he’d made his name.

https://youtu.be/kNgdRc0Hzus
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Elvis appears on the vid at this point:

https://youtu.be/kNgdRc0Hzus?t=2618

Although the audio comes in a little earlier