Look Now , October 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
jardine

Re: Look Now: new album announced!

Post by jardine »

just got the october mojo magazine and it seems they'll be reviewing the new album in their next issue
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Q , October 2018

Ghastly headline.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This detail is kind of new. 'Various Broadway musicals'. I presume that excludes Face In The Crowd', but draws from other similar projects. Off the top of my head I can think of the Austin Powers one, the Memphis radio one and , perhaps, the mooted Painted From Memory one. Given how protective producers can be of the exclusivity of numbers - the take down of 'Crowd songs from YouTube etc - it can be assumed that means those projects are now unlikely to ever happen.

This profile, the first of many I daresay, indicates the way this project will be spun. It's interesting to see that one aspect isn't mentioned . Going into 2018 it seemed that the Vegas shows were going to be Elvis's only 'live' appearances of the year, a lucrative outing, financing a focus for the rest of the year on developing A Face In The Crowd. The Vegas shows didn't , for whatever reason, happen. Elvis was, possibly, left with The Imposters booked/contracted for a few weeks. Something had to be done with them. The quickly scheduled shows on the east coast were one option, along with recording an album and making up the income deficit with a European tour. Maybe that happenstance is a bit convoluted for a narrative for media, and it would require discussing Vegas etc. Whatever. The two songs that have been trailing it indicate it will be worth all the effort.
jardine

Post by jardine »

"A masterpiece salvaged from cancer's jaw" is one of the most horrible pieces of writing I have ever read, let alone a horrible sentiment/idea. Wow. Very impressive.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I really, really hope and pray this album is judged on its musical merits and not on -any response to Elvis' health. These comments about the cancer are melodramatic and sentimental - which Elvis has always managed to avoid in his writing with aplomb, wit and honesty.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:I really, really hope and pray this album is judged on its musical merits and not on -any response to Elvis' health. These comments about the cancer are melodramatic and sentimental - which Elvis has always managed to avoid in his writing with aplomb, wit and honesty.
Me too, but I honestly don't think that will be an issue. The comments already emerging (and of course, more reviews will follow in the next few weeks) are as much about Bacharach's contribution and 'Imperial Bedroom Mk II' as they are about Elvis' health.

I also believe (already) that this LP is going to be something remarkable, so, for me, the tone of the reviews is irrelevant. I'd even go as far to say that, in terms of 'coming back from significant illness with an astonishing new LP which ushers in a wonderful twilight career', Look Now may well turn out to be Elvis' Time Out of Mind.

And, y'know, you listen to Time Out of Mind now, and it is what it is, along with all the memories of Dylan's illness around that time. Who remembers a single line from any of the contemporary reviews?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The original post was lost, so I'll repost "Suspect My Tears."

EC tweeted that a music video is "coming soon."

Elvis Costello's New Song "Suspect My Tears" Out Now
The song was recorded by Latin Grammy winning producer, Sebastian Krys in Los Angeles with The Imposters; Steve Nieve (keyboards), Davey Faragher (bass) and Pete Thomas (drums) augmented by jazz-bassoonist Michael Rabinowitz and vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee.

Speaking of the “Suspect My Tears” string session at Electric Lady, NYC, Costello added, "Not always having a reason to put music on the page, I’m always delighted when a recording session comes out as I’ve heard it in my head. I could not have asked more from our New York players, the string section sounding as rich and full as twice their number. When I was a kid listening to Tamla and Philly recordings, like those produced by Thom Bell, I always imagined they were played by massive symphony orchestras in a cathedral-like space. I realize now that is what reverb is for."
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So melodic! Well done, Elv! Loving those strings!
jardine

Post by jardine »

and the oboe! shades of Smokey Robinson, as is the song itself. overall, these songs feel sonically 'similar'...hard for me to describe -- arrangements, background vocals, that oboe (it's in under lime, too...it is an oboe, yes?). over 50+ years of listening, sometimes songs on albums used to sound "all the same" and it took me time to sort things out. this was often a sign of a lovely coherence i'd eventually suss out, that all these songs belonged together, that on the album as a whole, it was as if each song supported and strengthened the others. i'm finding this w. the released songs here, so far. VERY good sign, i think.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I don't know...I HAVE NEVER BEEN A FAN OF RECEIVING AN LP IN DRIBS AND DRABS!!! i can't take to this internet age of two songs here, one song there, and then, BOOM....OUT COMES THE L.P. i usually find i barely listen to the tracks this way and rarer still, ENJOY THEM this way. :oops: WHEN THE RECORD IS OUT, I WILL LISTEN COMPLETELY. i will come to know the ebb and flow of the record he has given us as an entire piece. Then i will begin to think of how i feel about it all. Right now, it's all too very scattered...FOR ME at least. :shock:
jardine

Post by jardine »

back in the day when FM radio actually existed, songs -- i'm thinking of first hearing Tokyo Storm Warning or radio radio, or, in fact, hearing Elvis at the El Mocambo live on CHUM-FM in early 1978 -- would 'come out' before the full album and could, sometimes, even be found by rummaging in -- what were they called? record stores? on 'singles.' certainly a different form of hearing individual songs, so to speak, 'ahead of time' and not in the context of a full album. I do understand that hit of getting the full thing all at once, however, instead of dribs and drabs. and if McCartney's current deluge is any indication, stretching out these releases isn't necessarily a good idea.

I can even recall (aging myself) hearing it's only love and i've just seen a face on American radio in the early Fall of 1965 (i grew up in southern Ontario and we'd get American stations in the late evening only, WBZ Boston, and a Cincinnati station) after their release on the British help l.p. (but not on the north American releases until the butchered rubber soul in December). i still have dreams about this, of hearing Beatles songs on distant stations fading in and out, never to be heard again.
jardine

Post by jardine »

it was actually a Cleveland station, and they had a British Top Ten countdown every evening, which, in the fall of 1965, included a yet-to-be-released Well Respected Man
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I’m still not seeing the Imperial Bedroom connection - I’d say Suspect My Tears is more akin to the sound on Painted From Memory.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another epic production !

I played it back to back with a recording of the version done with Steve in Nashville in October 1999.
The changes in lyric are noted in brackets, as in those words were used in '99 instead of what's before .

Suspect My Tears

Do you remember how to say please?
You've had your own way for such a long time
Your lashes sweep down, I dry your cheek
You think I'm powerless when you speak
You may have something, I don't deny
You look so (TOO) beautiful when you cry
If I seem unconcerned
Perhaps it's time you learned

I'll cry until you suspect my tears
You're not the only one who can turn it on
Where and when you need it (TOO)

Do you remember how bad it felt?
Big eyes would fill up
Your (THAT) lip would tremble
You want to hurt me
But then you melt (MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY)
You always promise to lose control
I learned a trick that you used to play
I'm tired of you having it your own way
With the power to persuade
Beginning to cascade

Where and when you need it (TOO)

BELOW NOT IN 1999 VERSION

If you hear me weeping
I may be cheating or just laughing inside
If you're suspicious that I'm sly and vicious
Here's your chance to decide
Two hypocrites collide

THIS INSTEAD

YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING I DON'T DENY
YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL WHEN YOU CRY
WITH THE POWER TO PERSUADE
BEGINNING TO CASCADE

PARTS OF BELOW IN '99 VERSION

Where and when you need it
When you need it

Where and when you need it
When you need it

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

BA wrote
I don't know...I HAVE NEVER BEEN A FAN OF RECEIVING AN LP IN DRIBS AND DRABS!!!
Absolutely, BA - the joy and anticipation of taking the album out of the sleeve and hearing the first track - I'll never forget the sense of surprise hearing Elvis' low pitched voice starting Beyond Belief on IB or Steve's ascending Farfisa on Love For Tender ( the 1st track on Get Happy, Otis !!!)I've only listened to under Lime twice and ignored all the other releases - I genuinely will not attempt to listen to any more tracks until I have the thick vinyl in my hot sweaty little hands !!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

the dribs and drabs are new singles
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The first review: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/e ... -new-album

Elvis Costello & The Imposters' new album demands to be taken seriously

The new record, Look Now, will bring smiles to Costello loyalists everywhere

Punk’s scarecrow singer-songwriter became a televisual pop star, a conceptual band-leader (The Attractions, The Confederates, The Imposters etc), and apparently innately turned his short stories – lacerating tales of romantic frustrations, political expediency, hapless social climbing and all the rest – into any form he wanted to. His first half-a-dozen records are almost concept albums, with Costello moving through genres as though they were time zones. Confident of his instincts and virtuosity, he has continued in this vein for more than 40 years, happy to dip in and out of styles and collaborate at will (notably with Burt Bacharach on 1998’s Painted From Memory and Allen Toussaint on 2006’s The River In Reverse).

He’s been quiet of late, not helped by a recent cancer scare, which was an unnecessary interruption to his almost relentless touring schedule. Next month sees the release of a brand-new album, however, which will bring smiles to Costello loyalists everywhere, principally because it demands to be taken seriously. Called Look Now (probably because you should), it’s his first record he’s made with The Imposters since 2008 and his first new album since the well-reviewed 2013 Roots collaboration, Wise Up Ghost.

Costello says that he decided to make the record while touring last summer with the band, largely playing songs from his Imperial Bedroom album, and having spent a weekend with Look Now it’s easy to see the connection. The songs here are dense but ornate, complex but forthright, and every one of the 12 songs has a melody that you won’t be able to slip. Costello has been criticised in the last decade or so for failing to address his audience and by trying to distance himself from his past. And whether you subscribe to that or not, this new record is good enough to appeal to any Costello fan, regardless of when they joined his train.

There are co-writes with Bacharach, while one song – “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter”, written with Carole King – sounds like the best thing that Steely Dan have written since Katy Lied.

Pre-order the album now (the deluxe version has an additional four songs) and you’ll be rewarded with instant downloads of two of the album’s very best songs, “Under Lime” and “Unwanted Number”.

As the man says himself, the Elvis Costello Record Shop is open for business again.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

strangely bland review. sounds like a grade six kid who didn't read much of the book.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Does this even count as a review?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Dylan Jones - A UK journalist? Did he loan his name to a middle school youngster? With such a scrappy review, one would think it was the standard spiel of a US journalist. Surprise surprise. (Signed a disgruntled American)
millaa

Post by millaa »

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but a couple of UK retailers are listing the double vinyl version with 4 different tracks. It's probably an error because the way they have been labelled are the same, but anyone know anything?

Everyone’s Playing House
The Lovers That Never Were
If You Love Me
Down On The Bottom

https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordsto ... WYO0000000
https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/Pre-Order ... WYO0ASN000
And No Coffee Table

That's weird.

If it's real, then the official site has been listing the wrong bonus tracks on the vinyl edition for the last six weeks.

If it's not real, then where did that list of bonus tracks come from? It's an intriguing list, all co-writes with well-known songwriters ("Everyone's Playing House" with Burt Bacharach, "The Lovers That Never Were" with Paul McCartney, "If You Love Me" with Johnny Cash, and "Down on the Bottom" with Bob Dylan).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It seems that side C + D are an EP!!
Isn’t this fantastic news?
It reminds me of the National Ransack-EP.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I must say, if an album is to be released on vinyl, then I much prefer it to be over 2 sides rather than over 4 ( including Get Happy) and it's a real shame that albums like Momofuku and The River In Reverse where all put out over 4 sids rather than over 2 - so in some respect I'll be glad if Look Now has the "official" album tracks on one album and just bonus tracks on an E.P. (whatever those tracks may turn out to be !)
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:Isn’t this fantastic news?
I think so! I'm just confused. Are there two different track listings for the "deluxe" vinyl sets, or is this the correct one?