Look Now , October 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Look Now: new album announced!

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://elviscostello.com/#!/news/297596

JUL 26, 2018
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS NEW ALBUM ‘LOOK NOW’ RELEASED OCTOBER 12TH ON CONCORD

Elvis Costello and The Imposters – Steve Nieve (keyboards), Davey Faragher (bass), Pete Thomas (drums) – have made a sensational new album that ranks alongside the best work this singularly great artist has ever produced.

Recorded in Hollywood, New York City and Vancouver, British Columbia, ‘Look Now’ is beautiful in its simplicity, reflective in its lyrical vision, surrounded by melodies and orchestrations that are nothing short of heavenly. It’s the first album Costello has made with The Imposters since the 2008 release of ‘Momofuku’ and his first new album since the acclaimed 2013 Roots collaboration, ‘Wise Up Ghost’.

Anyone anywhere in the world who has seen Elvis Costello and The Imposters live can testify to their unmitigated swagger. Costello’s suspicion that it was time to return to the studio was confirmed while on the ‘Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers’ tour of the USA, last summer and he realized the power and sheer musicality of The Imposters had never really been fully captured on one record.

“I knew if we could make an album with the scope of ‘Imperial Bedroom’ and some of the beauty and emotion of ‘Painted From Memory’, we would really have something”, said Costello.

‘Look Now’ is an outstanding 12-strong addition to his song catalogue.
Most of the titles were written solely by Elvis Costello although, ‘Don’t Look Now’ and ‘Photographs Can Lie’ were co-written with Burt Bacharach, who makes a guest appearance, leading The Imposters from the piano for those two ballads.

Another song to which Bacharach contributed, ‘He’s Given Me Things’ features some of the best singing Elvis has ever recorded, while ‘Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter’ was written with Carole King and closes with a serpentine horn line winding around Steve Nieve’s atmospheric keyboard parts.

The album was co-produced by Elvis and Sebastian Krys - the Latin Grammy Producer of the Year for 2007 and 2015, whose love and understanding of music spans both hemispheres.

Sebastian had worked extensively with Pete and Davey in the Los Angeles studios, so it’s no surprise that this dynamic rhythm section was incredibly well-prepared for the recording sessions. “When Pete and Davey are in this kind of rare form, it’s wise to get on the back-beat with your Telecaster and stay out of their way”, said Costello.

Speaking of his own role as co-producer, Costello said, “I had all of the orchestrations and vocal parts in my head or on the page before we played a note, so it was essential that I worked closely with Steve Nieve to maintain the light and space in the arrangements and allow him to shine.”

Costello completed the picture by adding both guitar and his own vibraphone or celesta parts to his orchestrations but remarked, “Sebastian was there to make sure only the essential notes got onto the record, whether it was a fuzz-tone guitar or jazz bassoon.”

“In the final mixing, Sebastian did a beautiful job of keeping everything present but always lead by emotion or narrative, although when balancing the band, my voice and the quartet of woodwinds and horns that I’d written for ‘Stripping Paper’, I told him to “Just trust the blur.”

From today, fans who pre-order the 12-track standard or the 16-song deluxe album from digital retailers will instantly receive a download of two of the album’s standout tracks ‘Under Lime’ and ‘Unwanted Number’.

Asked for a further comment on the “Instant Gratification” phenomenon, Costello said, “That’s just the latest record business gimmick-speak for something you can get right away. I have to be straight with you; that sounds like a personal service that you might be offered in a dubious massage parlour.”

“I’d prefer to say that “The Elvis Costello Record Shop” is open for business again and when you pre-order the album, ‘Look Now’ you can get a couple of songs, RIGHT NOW”

Look out for more of these RIGHT NOW songs from ‘Look Now’ dropping in the weeks prior to the album’s release.

‘LOOK NOW’ Full Track-listing:

1. Under Lime
2. Don’t Look Now
3. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
4. Stripping Paper
5. Unwanted Number
6. I Let The Sun Go Down
7. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
8. Photographs Can Lie
9. Dishonor The Stars
10. Suspect My Tears
11. Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?
12. He’s Given Me Things

Deluxe Special Edition Tracks:
13. Isabelle In Tears
14. Adieu Paris (L’Envie Des Étoiles)
15. The Final Mrs. Curtain
16. You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way

Signed & Exclusive Bundles for 'Look Now'...

Additional Pre-order for 'Look Now'...

Listen to 'Unwanted Number'...

Listen to 'Under Lime'...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Wow, these two tracks sound amazing!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

seems like the songs been out on youtube for a week!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Yk26ms8Q8
Skärmklipp2.JPG
Skärmklipp2.JPG (44.35 KiB) Viewed 123663 times
or am I just bonkers from the heatwave here???
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

verbal gymnastics wrote:http://looknow.elviscostello.com/
That one's for the American market ...

Import duties are going to make these way too expensive for me :|
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:Wow, these two tracks sound amazing!
Seconded. I get Elvis' point about 'rock' in his tweets, but that really has little to do with this LP and more to do with his longstanding chip-on-the-shoulder about the definition of 'rock' music (and how he, according to his own definition, sits outside it). So that's fine. As you wish, Mr Costello.

The reality is that this is shaping up to be a straight-down-the-line rock/pop LP of fifteen/sixteen (mostly) new songs by Elvis Costello and the Imposters. Like many of us, I feared that era was in the past, so this is really firing me up. The two tracks released so far make this LP sound like Imperial Bedroom come back to life. Happy days, colleagues.
verbal gymnastics

From Elvis' website page, we need to appreciate not only this

“When Pete and Davey are in this kind of rare form, it’s wise to get on the back-beat with your Telecaster and stay out of their way”

but this

“I had all of the orchestrations and vocal parts in my head or on the page before we played a note, so it was essential that I worked closely with Steve Nieve to maintain the light and space in the arrangements and allow him to shine.”
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Hawksmoor wrote:. The two tracks released so far make this LP sound like Imperial Bedroom come back to life. Happy days, colleagues.
I agree - the most "British" he's sounded in ages and certainly back in Imperial Bedroom teritory, particularly in Under Lime - echoes of And In Every Home I think. Unwanted Number is very good but not essential - perhaps could have been a bonus track as it's so well known. Only problem now is waiting two and a half months till the whole album is out. Seems an age.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Well, if you preorder on looknow.elviscostello.com , you do get a September 7th download of "Suspect My Tears".

I'm really loving "Under Lime". It definitely hearkens back to Imperial Bedroom, but sounds so fresh at the same time.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I see Sebastian Krys was the producer on the Vega album (Non ho l'eta) last year that EC appeared on. Perhaps that's how they came to work together on the new record.

Dave
Shellacandvinyl

Post by Shellacandvinyl »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I see Sebastian Krys was the producer on the Vega album (Non ho l'eta) last year that EC appeared on. Perhaps that's how they came to work together on the new record.

Dave

Sebastian Krys also produced multiple albums for La Santa Cecilia, including Treinta Dias where EC guested on a track.

I'm pretty excited about the collaboration and love the fact that a Latin American producer is involved.
And you try so hard
To be like the big boys, oh
https://twitter.com/shellacandvinyl
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:From Elvis' website page: "it was essential that I worked closely with Steve Nieve to maintain the light and space in the arrangements and allow him to shine.”
Definitely excited about this new album, but the above Elvis quote isn't apparent in the mix of the two new preview tracks. Steve's always glorious fills are massively, puzzlingly low in the mix, when they could shine and enhance the vocal, without undermining it.

I hope Elvis isn't somehow in awe or itimidated by Steve's genius - he has nothing to fear, as his own genius for melodies and trenchant lyrics can only be enhanced by Steve's piano, not deflected by it (e.g. Oliver's Army or Black Sails in the Sunset)

The same thing seemed to happen on Brutal Youth, too - London's Brilliant Parade and You Tripped At Every Step has Steve's glorious piano noticeably lower than Elvis's vocal in the mix, but it was unneccessary - Elvis's expressive voice will never be threatened even by Steve.

But I haven't heard the rest of the new album, so of course I could be talking through my arse!! (And it could be something to do with my cheap headphones!)

Looking forward to it - October, bring it on!! X
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Shellacandvinyl wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:I see Sebastian Krys was the producer on the Vega album (Non ho l'eta) last year that EC appeared on. Perhaps that's how they came to work together on the new record.

Dave

Sebastian Krys also produced multiple albums for La Santa Cecilia, including Treinta Dias where EC guested on a track.

I'm pretty excited about the collaboration and love the fact that a Latin American producer is involved.
That's right, of course! Thanks for reminding me.
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Maybe I am alone on this one but...

Under Lime feels incredibly bloated musically and has way too over done of a track, similarly to 'Life Shrinks'.

Love that he finally did a studio of Unwanted Number, super excited for the other unreleased songs that made it on and the whole album !
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:EC tweeted criticism at some guy who called Look Now "his first rock album in ten years" and confirmed that the preview tracks are coming Friday.
Elvis Costello wrote:@trackXtrack
It has nothing to do with rock...
Unless you mean Edinburgh rock Which is delicious.
If you’d had a little patience
You could have waited until Friday For a song or two.
Instead you’re just plain wrong...
It’s easy to be quick. It’s not so easy to be smart
The YouTuber responds. And he's flattered that EC even noticed his comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e9SRYVu_fU
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Definitely excited about this new album, but the above Elvis quote isn't apparent in the mix of the two new preview tracks. Steve's always glorious fills are massively, puzzlingly low in the mix, when they could shine and enhance the vocal, without undermining it.
Agree 100%.
Neil. wrote:I hope Elvis isn't somehow in awe or itimidated by Steve's genius - he has nothing to fear, as his own genius for melodies and trenchant lyrics can only be enhanced by Steve's piano, not deflected by it (e.g. Oliver's Army or Black Sails in the Sunset)
Agree 100%.
Neil. wrote:The same thing seemed to happen on Brutal Youth, too - London's Brilliant Parade and You Tripped At Every Step has Steve's glorious piano noticeably lower than Elvis's vocal in the mix, but it was unneccessary - Elvis's expressive voice will never be threatened even by Steve.
Disagree entirely. To my ears, the piano on 'London's Brilliant Parade' and 'You Tripped at Every Step' is way up in the mix, much higher than in 'Under Lime' or 'Unwanted Number', and quite right too.
Neil. wrote:Looking forward to it - October, bring it on!! X
Agree 100%.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hawksmoor wrote:Disagree entirely. To my ears, the piano on 'London's Brilliant Parade' and 'You Tripped at Every Step' is way up in the mix, much higher than in 'Under Lime' or 'Unwanted Number', and quite right too.
You're right, it is higher in the mix than the two new songs. But I still feel it's noticeable lower than the vocal. The lovely opening chimes of 'Tripped' could come in much louder at the start - they're still quite muted. Whereas on the 'Useless Beauty' album, Steve's piano is right at the front of the mix, as gloriously featured on 'The Other End of the Telescope'.

But anyway, maybe it's just these two new tracks - there's the mouthwatering prospect of 14 other new tracks to choose from on the rest of the album - am sure Steve will be heavily featured.
John

Post by John »

Jeremy Vine, a big fan, plays Unwanted Number here from 32:41. Sounds great here. Probably better quality than Spotify etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbsg4n
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Wow, there's quite the collection of merch for this album. He's really cashing in on this! :lol: I wish there was a "despatcher" based in the UK/Europe somewhere. Not paying the crazy shipping prices. I hope there might be the chance to purchase some on a Look Now-esque tour that will come this way at some point, fingers crossed.

Under Lime is brilliant, but I agree I think the Steve Nieve touch feels muted. But yes, we haven't heard the rest of the album and I'm sure he will be more prominent in lots of other songs. There's no album where he's obvious on every single song.

Is anyone else slightly creeped out by the album cover? It's really vivid and memorable, but I wouldn't necessarily want a t-shirt with that face on it. *hides behind the sofa* :shock:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

docinwestchester wrote:
The YouTuber responds. And he's flattered that EC even noticed his comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e9SRYVu_fU
Think this is evidence writ large that EC - and/or his people - read EVERYTHING which appears on the internet iro the 'brand' Elvis Costello. And why not it's his livelihood which is at issue.
FrankieJ wrote:Wow, there's quite the collection of merch for this album.
Absobloominglootly - but am I right that the green double LP cannot be bought without eg a matching and expensive pair of custom socks or the black vinyl without eg a "patch" ?

Since my sock drawer is already sufficiently furnished and my patch collection is already complete, I was kinda hoping just to get the vinyl ( to go with the delux CD obviously).

Are you reading this Elvis? Please send me a tweet :D :D :D .
jardine

Post by jardine »

with these lyrics on Under Lime: "Once every crime was confessed," especially the last three words, it is strange voice he's using that I've not heard before...a Bowie sort of something or other? i find it slightly startling when it arrives. I like the effect.

around 3:46 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qxd0IBHqcE
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

jardine wrote:with these lyrics on Under Lime: "Once every crime was confessed," especially the last three words, it is strange voice he's using that I've not heard before...a Bowie sort of something or other? i find it slightly startling when it arrives. I like the effect.

around 3:46 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qxd0IBHqcE
I definitely did not notice that. Indeed sounds like the Starman. Good pickup!
jardine

Post by jardine »

there's a smaller whiff of that voice on the line "She thought "I can't believe" @ 2:34
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

According to this breakdown of options for buying the various formats of the new album , Amazon Canada has some of the most competitive prices.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-142307
verbal gymnastics

From reading the comments, the cover art has certainly drawn some interesting views... :lol:

Incidentally have the test pressings sold out at $290 a pop? I looked on the website and couldn’t see the Add to cart option. Normally a web page would say sold out or this item is no longer available. Anyone bought one?

The packages don’t really hold any interest - I can’t say I’m bothered about a patch or socks or hat. And I wonder why the CDs are only signed by Elvis. Other more recent releases have been credited to Elvis Costello so that’s fair enough but this is also The Imposters. Plenty of other bands have all members sign the CD - I have signed CDs of The Fratellis, Kasabian and Haim for example.