Look Now , October 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
Harry Lime

Re: Look Now: new album announced!

Post by Harry Lime »

jardine wrote:I remember quite clearly how painful it was back in 2010 for National Ransom to seem to disappear without hardly a trace of recognition and how that disappearance, I'm embarrassed to say, slowly eroded some of my own love of it (it really is time I pulled NR out again). I recall some speculation here on the board of the effect of all that on e.c. himself back then. Now I'm in full bask again and therefore, of course, very glad of the reviews (except, as per usual, so many of them are not especially insightful). I even love the gnarls of key changes that i can never quite anticipate in DTStars, and a melody winding up and around and eating its own tail.

Not sure if i understand any more exactly what might be a side project for e.c.
Do take another listen to National Ransom--it still packs a punch. I had a long drive this past summer and played Momofuku and National Ransom back to back. I was surprised at how well they complemented each other.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Sugar Mouse

Post by Sugar Mouse »

I'm really enjoying the new album Look Now. Not sure I love the song order though ... has anyone else come up with their own playing order? I played around with the song order and came up with an order I really like. I excluded the song Adieu Paris from my playlist.

My Look Now Deluxe Album playlist is ...

1. Under Lime
2. Don't Look Now
3. Unwanted Number
4. Stripping Paper
5. Dishonor The Stars
6. Suspect My Tears
7. Mr. and Mrs. Hush
8. Photographs Can Lie
9. Why Won't Heaven Help Me?
10. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
11. You Shouldn't Look at Me That Way
12. Isabelle In Tears
13. The Final Mrs. Curtain
14. He's Given Me Things
15. I Let The Sun Go Down
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Late to the party because I've had trouble for months logging into my account... anyway...

I was at the McCartney gigs (Liverpool and London). Not only did I have the unreal experience of witnessing the two living Beatles perform on stage together (and saw Paul's soundcheck show), but in Liverpool I noticed Elvis in the audience and weaved my way through the crowds at the end of the show and got to meet him for the second time.

I just shook his hand and he seemed happy that I described Look Now as "fantastic". Very happy bunny here! :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Nice one Frankie!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bes ... 55187.html

Chris Willman, Variety Editor/Veteran Yahoo Freelancer

1. Elvis Costello & the Imposters — Look Now
2. Lucius — Nudes
3. Brandi Carlile — By the Way, I Forgive You
4. Father John Misty — God’s Favorite Customer
5. Pistol Annies — Interstate Gospel
6. Kacey Musgraves — Golden Hour
7. Jack White — Boarding House Reach
8. Ariana Grande — Sweetener
9. Lily Allen — No Shame
10. Cecile McLoran Salvant — The Window

Costello and most of the band who made “Pump It Up” have spent 40 years learning how to dial it down, and they masterfully augment some of the most sophisticated and empathetic writing they’ve ever done on a record that combines swinging, Dionne Warwick-esque ‘60s pop; sophisticated musical theater; and just the tiniest bit of residual rock swagger. — CW
cwr

Post by cwr »

I do think Look Now is a masterpiece, but then again I have essentially been waiting for this album ever since Brutal Youth (my first "new" EC album once I became a fan).

When Geoff Emerick was announced as co-producer for ATUB, I thought, "this will be the sophisticated flip side to Brutal Youth." And it kind of was, but I never got over the missed opportunity of that record-- I liked everything about it except what it left off, a 48-minute LP that couldn't find room for the likes of "God Give Me Strength" and "Almost Ideal Eyes", let alone "Tommy's Coming Home." To me, ATUB remains a very good album that feels like if IbMePdErRoIoAmL left off "Beyond Belief" and "Almost Blue"-- a hobbled masterpiece.

PFM I loved everything about except I wished it didn't lean quite so hard towards Burt's production aesthetic. It felt like after his collaboration with McCartney stalled over clashes in their production styles, EC was making the effort not to let that happen again. Still, I wished for a PFM album that felt more like what those kinds of songs would feel like as played by The Attractions, or later, The Imposters. It's all I wanted.

"Burnt Sugar" and "Suspect My Tears" showed up in concert soon after, and if felt like I might soon have what I was wishing for-- an album of sophisticated pop ballads! WIWC was not that, nor was North, but he had a band again, and he was writing his own full string orchestrations.

The Delivery Man wasn't the place for these kinds of songs, either, though "Burnt Sugar" was in the running, I think, based on concerts around that time. And then for the next few years, it always felt like he was on the verge or quitting making records, or he was making records that had no place for those kinds of songs.

Look Now is an album I have specifically been waiting for him to make for nearly two and a half decades, and it still surprised me while also living up to my expectations, which seems like an impossible task. However, it also isn't the kind of record that is everybody's cup of tea, which is fine! Not every Costello record can please everybody, which has been clear nearly from the start.

I also think that the longer gap between records and the health scare stories (in the wake of the shocking loss of artists like Bowie and Prince and Tom Petty, etc) helped a lot of critics stop taking EC for granted the way it felt a lot of them were around the time of National Ransom (which seemed to be instantly forgotten and not on very many "best of" lists a mere few months after its release).

FWIW, I also think National Ransom is a late period EC masterpiece, and I think that if you hold up LN & NR together they are two arguments for the strength of 21st Century Costello's artistic output.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Stephen Averill , who designed sleeves for Elvis when Elvis was based here in Dublin, made an interesting point about the sleeve of Look Now. Chatting with me before a recent gig by his band Trouble Pilgrims, he said he likes the lettering and the painting but thinks they don't look good together. It's still an arresting image , in view as I type this , looking over at my shelves, alongside another eye-catching sleeve from this year.

ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I used my Amazon gift cards that I got for Kwanza to get Elvis' Look Now and the remastered White Album. Look Now is comparable with PFM, but is edgier. Of course, the Beatles have never sounded so crisp and clean.

Do you think Elvis woke up one day and thought to himself, 'I think I'll write a song in French?' Is this his homage to Charles Aznavour?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

cwr wrote:
FWIW, I also think National Ransom is a late period EC masterpiece, and I think that if you hold up LN & NR together they are two arguments for the strength of 21st Century Costello's artistic output.

Well said.

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.taz.de/!5561612/

Nicht einfach alles rauslassen!
Der Brite Elvis Costello ist ein begnadeter Komponist und Textschmied, das beweist seine Platte „Look Now“. Warum bleibt seine Renaissance bislang aus?

„Wird es mir das Herz brechen, wenn mir keiner mehr zuhört?“, fragt Elvis Costello. „Wahrscheinlich nicht. Nach all der Zeit muss man davon ausgehen. Einige Leute meinen, dass Alben keine Bedeutung mehr haben. Das ist Quatsch! Sie bedeuten als kulturelles Format nach wie vor eine ganze Menge. Zumindest sind sie Aufzeichnungen davon, wie wir uns fühlen. Wie Kritzeleien an Höhlenwänden oder Graffiti in einer Gefängniszelle.“

Seinem neuen, insgesamt 39. Album „Look Now“ stellt der britische Künstler, der bürgerlich Declan MacManus heißt, solche Zeilen voran; die Liner Notes haben insgesamt die Länge einer Novelle. Neben einer Analyse des Aufnahmeprozesses und Charakterisierungen seiner Kollaborateure finden sich dort Reflexionen und Betrachtungen des eigenen Werks. Einmal spottet Costello, dass die Plattenfirma, die seinen Marktwert genau kalkuliert habe, nur noch auf sein Ableben warte, um mit posthumen Käufen noch einmal Kasse zu machen. An diesem Punkt in seiner Karriere sähe er sich jedoch keineswegs.

Es scheint naheliegend, dass diese Grübeleien, im Sommer niedergeschrieben, von Costellos damals diagnostizierter und mittlerweile gut behandelter Krebserkrankung ausgelöst wurden. Im Gespräch rudert er nämlich, wieder genesen, ein wenig zurück und setzt seine Äußerungen in den Kontext eines Strukturwandels der Musikindustrie.

„Ich lebe nicht in einer Traumwelt, in der Millionen von Menschen mein neues Album hören werden“, sagt er. „Das werden sie nicht. Ständig passiert so viel, und es gibt so viel zu tun und zu hören, dass es den Leuten schwer fällt, den Wert einer Sache zu sehen. Als meine ersten Alben in den Siebzigern draußen waren, wurde ich jede Woche angerufen, und sie haben mir die Verkaufszahlen mitgeteilt. Ein paar Hundert verkaufte Exemplare, dann ein paar Tausend, dann Zehntausend, Hunderttausend. Ab einem gewissen Punkt ging es nicht mehr weiter.“

Wie der andere Elvis

1977 veröffentlichte Costello sein Debütalbum, „My Aim Is True“, zwölf dicht arrangierte, sauber komponierte Power-Pop-Nummern, charakterisiert vor allem durch seine heisere Stimme, der man die Jahre auf kleinen Bühnen und Pubs deutlich anhört. Während er für viele 40- bis 60-Jährige darum eine Ikone ist – Costello steht im Zusammenhang mit Punk und New Wave –, haben die Kinder und Kindeskinder seinen Namen bestenfalls mal gehört. Wieso bleibt die Costello-Renaissance aus? An den tollen Liedern liegt es nicht. Entspricht Costello als weißer, notorisch schlecht gelaunter, heterosexueller Künstler einem gerade unerwünschtem Profil?

Vielleicht ist ja auch die Umtriebigkeit das Problem. Er hat fast drei Dutzend Alben in vier Jahrzehnten veröffentlicht, probiert sich in völlig verschiedenen Stilrichtungen aus, zuletzt vor allem in unsexy Genres wie „Adult Contemporary“, da ist der Zugang schwer und der Überblick auch. Die Diskografie David Bowies zum Beispiel erscheint ähnlich unübersichtlich, aber den kennt jede 20-Jährige. Weil Bowie flamboyanter, fluider ist. Und verstorben. An dem Punkt seiner Karriere, wie gesagt, ist Costello noch nicht.

Costello spielt üppig orchestrierte Songs, wie sie der andere Elvis gut in Las Vegas hätte singen können

„Look Now“, sein neues Album – das erste seit fünf Jahren –, ist ziemlich gut geworden. Musikalisch sind die zwölf Lieder pianistisch grundiert, üppig orchestriert, es sind Songs, wie sie der andere Elvis gut in Las Vegas hätte singen können. Mal klingt es nach Motown-Soul mit mächtigem Backbeat, zum Beispiel die exzellente Single „Unwanted Number“, in deren Strophe Costello in der für ihn typischen Art eine Menge Silben pro Zeile unterkriegt und jeder eine eigene Note gibt.

Die Schichten freilegen

„Look Now“ besteht aus zwölf Storysongs, Liedern, in denen Costello eindeutig die Perspektive einer Erzählfigur einnimmt, die mit seiner Person auf den ersten Blick wenig gemein hat. In der schönen Ballade „Stripping Paper“ singt er zum Beispiel aus Sicht einer unglücklich verheirateten Frau, die in einer manischen Episode die Tapeten in ihrem Haus herunterreißt und sich mit jeder freigelegten Schicht gedanklich tiefer in ihre Vergangenheit bewegt.

„Die Lieder sind autobiografisch, absolut“, erklärt Costello. „In dem Sinne, dass sie aus mir herausgekommen sind und Gedanken von mir beinhalten, selbst wenn diese durch eine erfundene Figur ausgedrückt werden. Nichts ist persönlicher als ein Gedanke. Es gibt ja eine Menge Songwriter, die meinen, Ehrlichkeit wäre das Alibi für mangelhafte Qualität. Als würde ein schlechtes Lied dadurch besser, dass das, was da besungen wird, wirklich passiert ist. So läuft es nicht. Es braucht schon Technik, sonst wird nur heiße Luft transportiert. Andernfalls ist es schlicht Inkontinenz. Man lässt einfach etwas heraus.“

Elvis Costello & The Imposters: „Look Now“ (Concord/Universal)

Es war nicht leicht, „Look Now“ finanziert zu bekommen, zumal Costello ja ein Album mit anständigen Produktionswerten vorschwebte, ein richtiges Studiowerk mit aufwendigen Arrangements. „Ich kümmere mich nicht um den kommerziellen Aspekt, dafür sind andere zuständig“, sagt er leicht säuerlich. „Ich will denen nicht ihre Arbeit wegnehmen, und die sollen mir nicht meine Arbeit wegnehmen.“ Seine künstlerischen Entscheidungen haben schon häufig Leute irritiert. „Ich bin Anfang der Achtziger nach Nashville gegangen und habe ein Country-Album aufgenommen, und mein Publikum war entsetzt“, sagt er.

Wenn heute die Nostalgie seiner Zuhörerschaft nicht einfach Wertschätzung sei, sondern der Imperativ, nicht zu experimentieren, verliere er die Geduld. „Wer daran nicht interessiert ist, hat ja das Recht, wegzuhören“, sagt er. „So wie ich das Recht habe, das zu machen, was ich will. Und irgendwer wird mir schon zuhören!“

—————————
Do not just let everything out!
The Briton Elvis Costello is a gifted composer and text maker, as evidenced by his record "Look Now". Why is his renaissance so far?

"Will my heart break if no one listens to me anymore?" Asks Elvis Costello. "Probably not. After all this time you have to assume. Some people think that albums have no meaning anymore. That's nonsense! As a cultural format they still mean a lot. At least they are records of how we feel. Like scribbles on cave walls or graffiti in a prison cell. "

His new, altogether 39th album "Look Now" is preceded by such lines by the British artist, whose name is Declan MacManus. the liner notes have the length of a novella. In addition to an analysis of the recording process and characterizations of his collaborators, there are reflections and reflections of his own work. Once Costello scoffs that the record company, which has accurately calculated its market value, just waiting for his demise to make with posthumous purchases again checkout. At this point in his career, however, he would not see himself.

It seems obvious that these musings, written down in the summer, were triggered by Costello's then diagnosed and now well-treated cancer. In conversation, he rowed, recovered, a little back and puts his comments in the context of a structural change in the music industry.

"I do not live in a dream world where millions of people will be listening to my new album," he says. "They will not. There's always so much happening, and there's so much to do and hear that people find it hard to see the value of a thing. When my first albums were out in the seventies, I was called every week and they told me the sales figures. A few hundred copies sold, then a few thousand, then ten thousand, one hundred thousand. At some point it did not go on. "

Like the other Elvis

In 1977, Costello released his debut album, "My Aim Is True," twelve tightly arranged, neatly composed power pop numbers, characterized above all by his hoarse voice, which sounds obvious on small stages and pubs. While for many 40- to 60-year-olds it is an icon - Costello is related to punk and new wave - the children and grandchildren have heard his name at best. Why is the Costello renaissance? The great songs are not. Does Costello, as a white, notoriously bad-tempered, heterosexual artist, have an undesirable profile?

Maybe the maneuverability is the problem. He's released almost three dozen albums over four decades, trying out completely different styles, most recently in unsexy genres like Adult Contemporary, where access is difficult and an overview too. The discography David Bowies, for example, appears similarly confusing, but every 20-year-old knows that. Because Bowie is flamboyant, fluid. And died. At the point of his career, as I said, Costello is not yet.

Costello plays sumptuously orchestrated songs that the other Elvis could have sung well in Las Vegas

Look Now, his new album - the first in five years - has become pretty good. Musically, the twelve songs are primed pianistically, lushly orchestrated, they are songs that the other Elvis could have sung well in Las Vegas. Sometimes it sounds like Motown-Soul with mighty backbeat, for example the excellent single "Unwanted Number", in whose verse Costello gets in the typical way for him a lot of syllables per line and each gives their own note.

Expose the layers

"Look Now" consists of twelve story songs, songs in which Costello clearly takes the perspective of a narrative figure that has little in common with his person at first glance. In the beautiful ballad "Stripping Paper", for example, he sings from the perspective of an unfortunate married woman who, in a maniacal episode, tears down the wallpaper in her house and mentally delves deeper into her past with each exposed layer.

"The songs are autobiographical, absolutely," explains Costello. "In the sense that they have come out of me and contain thoughts of me, even if they are expressed by a fictional character. Nothing is more personal than a thought. There are a lot of songwriters who think honesty is the alibi for poor quality. As if a bad song were better because what was sung there really happened. That's not how it works. It needs technology, otherwise only hot air is transported. Otherwise, it is simply incontinence. You just leave something out. "

Elvis Costello & The Imposters: "Look Now" (Concord / Universal)

It was not easy to get "Look Now" funded, especially since Costello had in mind an album with decent production values, a real studio piece with elaborate arrangements. "I do not care about the commercial aspect, others are responsible," he says slightly sourly. "I do not want to take their jobs away from them, and they should not take away my work." His artistic decisions have often irritated people. "I went to Nashville in the early eighties and recorded a country album and my audience was horrified," he says.

If today's nostalgia is not simply appreciation to his audience, but the imperative of not experimenting, he loses his patience. "Anyone who is not interested in this has the right to go away," he says. "Just as I have the right to do what I want. And someone will listen to me! "
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

At #21 in Soundwaves (WFIT-FM) Top 25 Albums of 2018: http://www.wfit.org/post/sound-waves-to ... 8#stream/0
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Sugar Mouse

Post by Sugar Mouse »

The more I listen to Look Now, the more amazed I am. It is a staggeringly great album. If it were released by a new artist, that artist would be up for a dozen Grammy nominations and be on the cover of ever music website and magazine.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/featu ... s-of-2018/

SDE’s favourite albums of 2018

Elvis Costello & The Imposters / Look Now

With all Elvis Costello‘s various projects and collaborations it’s surprising that Look Now was his first ‘proper’ studio album since 2010’s National Ransom. The new record is a shorter more focussed effort than that eight-year old long-player and benefits from sounding a bit more like a ‘classic’ straight off the bat, thanks to a trio of songs written with Burt Bacharach (‘Photographs Can Lie’ is as good as virtually anything on 1998’s Painted From Memory) and the brilliant ‘Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter’ (written with Carole King). Not that Costello needs ‘helpers’ particularly. Eight of the 12 tracks are solo efforts with ‘Unwanted Numbers’, ‘Under Lime’ and ‘Why Won’t Heaven Help Me’ all from the top drawer. A wonderful album.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.allmusic.com/year-in-review ... orite-rock

Elvis Costello & the Imposters
Look Now
4 stars (out of 5)
A beautifully crafted exercise in mature, sophisticated popcraft that shows the tunesmith's muse is still delivering the goods.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

cwr wrote:I also think that the longer gap between records and the health scare stories (in the wake of the shocking loss of artists like Bowie and Prince and Tom Petty, etc) helped a lot of critics stop taking EC for granted the way it felt a lot of them were around the time of National Ransom (which seemed to be instantly forgotten and not on very many "best of" lists a mere few months after its release).

I totally agree - National Ransom was astoundingly vibrant and rich for someone who's been round the block so long. You can tell he still gets great joy from writing (even if writing darker stuff!). Lots of National Ransom should be standards covered by loads of people.

And yes, the way it was pretty much ignored at the time was galling when you consider this is the album that has 'Jimmie', 'Josephine', 'Church Underground', 'All These Strangers', 'A Voice in the Dark' etc. I think you're right that the health scare helped remind critics to take notice of a giant in their midst who's still at the top of his game.

Here's to the next studio album - sooner rather than later, I hope!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

johnfoyle wrote:Stephen Averill , who designed sleeves for Elvis when Elvis was based here in Dublin, made an interesting point about the sleeve of Look Now. Chatting with me before a recent gig by his band Trouble Pilgrims, he said he likes the lettering and the painting but thinks they don't look good together. It's still an arresting image , in view as I type this , looking over at my shelves, alongside another eye-catching sleeve from this year.

This reminds me that at the last EC London meetup, we were saying how hideous we think the new album sleeve is. I guess I've become a bit more used to it now - the fab music has made me more forgiving! Someone said that only Blood & Chocolate is more hideous, but I've just remembered this monstrosity (that said, it's not technically an album, just a collection of B-sides)
idiot.jpeg
idiot.jpeg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 59327 times
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Look Now sleeve is worse!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Sugar Mouse

Post by Sugar Mouse »

Neil. wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Stephen Averill , who designed sleeves for Elvis when Elvis was based here in Dublin, made an interesting point about the sleeve of Look Now. Chatting with me before a recent gig by his band Trouble Pilgrims, he said he likes the lettering and the painting but thinks they don't look good together. It's still an arresting image , in view as I type this , looking over at my shelves, alongside another eye-catching sleeve from this year.

This reminds me that at the last EC London meetup, we were saying how hideous we think the new album sleeve is. I guess I've become a bit more used to it now - the fab music has made me more forgiving! Someone said that only Blood & Chocolate is more hideous, but I've just remembered this monstrosity (that said, it's not technically an album, just a collection of B-sides)

idiot.jpeg
For me, the image is interesting. It's the lettering that messes it up. Looks like something I would come up with with a free image design program. Would have looked better with just the image and much smaller lettering. Look at covers for Brandi Carlile's recent album or The Avett Brothers' "I and Love and You" album covers for how a cover can look great with just an image.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Sugar Mouse wrote:Look at covers for Brandi Carlile's recent album or The Avett Brothers' "I and Love and You" album covers for how a cover can look great with just an image.
Scott?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I love both the B&C cover and the Look Now sleeve.

OOOI is bad but I think it is so deliberately bad and is intended to be part of the joke of it being a Various Artists release. I respect how deeply Costello committed to the gag, to the point where it undoubtedly cost him record sales.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

He should have used a picture of a surly Elvis from 78 and a current one with a question mark after the Now ?
But there again, I'm a scientist so what do I know about art -" I don't know much about art but I know what I like" ( a la John Cleese as the pope in Monty Python) :wink:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Sugar Mouse wrote:Look at covers for Brandi Carlile's recent album or The Avett Brothers' "I and Love and You" album covers for how a cover can look great with just an image.
Scott?
Haha that's good. Scott Avett is an excellent artist though, isn't he?
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

When are we going to hear about some UK dates then, hmm? I don't know why, but I still have my Southend ticket. No use to me now. The setlist for the US dates sounded so delicious. I'd love to hear it. *tumbleweed*
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

FrankieJ wrote:When are we going to hear about some UK dates then, hmm? I don't know why, but I still have my Southend ticket. No use to me now. The setlist for the US dates sounded so delicious. I'd love to hear it. *tumbleweed*
Surely there'll be some dates in the summer, as last year.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Who cares about the UK? Where are the New York dates??