Help needed securing coverage of Elvis from 1990s/'00s.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Help needed securing coverage of Elvis from 1990s/'00s.

Post by johnfoyle »

The wiki site that a few of us contribute too is , we like to think , the most comprehensive collection of information about Elvis.

Before it there was a similar database , featuring posts up to 2007.

http://www.elviscostello.info/whatsnew.php

I imagine there are still images and text that are still exclusive to the 'old site'. I wish I had the time to cross check. Ironically the older information - 1970s/80s- that gets added more recently to wiki is probably more comprehensive (and safe) than the 1990s/2000s , that is fragmented across defunct urls and out of date formats. In many ways it's the least vital, in that it's a period of Elvis life and work that was and is chronicled at length in many accessible databases.

It has, however, been compromised. Some kind of malware has infected it. Dr Spooky , who kindly runs the server that hosts this forum , wiki and the 'old site' has received a notification to that effect from Google. It's near impossible, apparently, to eliminate the fault. He is in the process of transferring the content to a safe, text only format.

The next task is to figure out what content still needs to be transferred to wiki. One proposal is to 'Have a master list
in a spreadsheet from Google docs., Track the URL, who reviewed it, corresponding page in Wiki, and comments.'

Maybe we can figure out a way of portioning it out and sharing the work.

As I said earlier , a lot of the content consists of profiles of Elvis , retrospectives on his work etc. In other words , rehashes of material which is , essentially , already related first hand on the site. It's interesting , all the same, to track how Elvis becomes more forthcoming in sharing information. Similarly , its interesting to see him revising and changing emphasis etc.

More when things become clearer.
Hawksmoor

Re: Help needed securing coverage of Elvis from 1990s/'00s.

Post by Hawksmoor »

John, at the moment, both the (presumably archived) site you've linked to, and the EC Wiki itself, are both being blocked for me by McAfee who are deeming them both to be 'VERY RISKY'. Is that a common issue across both sites at the moment?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks. Both link fine for me. I'll pass on your comment. I've had a busy time of it lately and have let this slide, sorry.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

johnfoyle wrote:Thanks. Both link fine for me. I'll pass on your comment. I've had a busy time of it lately and have let this slide, sorry.
No worries. When I click on the 'more details' tab, McAfee says (of the Wiki) 'We scanned this site and found that it’s not as secure as it should be. Please click with caution'. So, not a massive red flag, but I guess it's more of an 'amber warning'.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

John, just to update: I was still getting dire warnings from McAfee about the site until a couple of days ago, but as of yesterday it seems to be fixed and working OK.