Girls Talk - live

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Girls Talk - live

Post by Neil. »

I don't think I've ever heard Elvis sing 'Girls Talk' live. Seems it's been a mainstay of the recent (sadly neccessarily abandoned) tour. Has anyone heard him sing it live, and if so, does he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version?
sulky lad

Re: Girls Talk - live

Post by sulky lad »

Yes , Neil ! :roll:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Neil. - I’ve seen him sing it a few times and, as you’d expect, he has sung it in a number of different arrangements.

On one version, the intro to me sounded a bit like Hanging Around by The Stranglers. But it’s probably just me :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Neil. - I’ve seen him sing it a few times and, as you’d expect, he has sung it in a number of different arrangements.

On one version, the intro to me sounded a bit like Hanging Around by The Stranglers. But it’s probably just me :lol:
I’ve also heard it, but not sure about VG’s interpretation !
.............VG , it is just you ! :wink:

:lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4YGV_7gIs
2011-05-22

Definitely propulsive. Great vocals!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've seen him do it a few times in Cardiff and Swansea- I think and he's often dedicated it to Dave Edmunds - it's always been a bit faster than the B-side but maybe not quite as fast as the Dave version - this probably doesn't help much does it ? First performed on the Wake Up Canada tour of November 1978 and at Cardiff at least 6 times as solo, with the Imposters and with Steve Nieve - each is different in pacing . The definitive band version is probably best demonstrated by the Sophia Gardens soundboard recording from 1979 - pm me your address and I'll snail mail you a copy if you want Neil !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ive seen it a few times solo as well as by the Imposters. Not sure if i ever saw Attractions play it. Gotta check...i guess it is ALWAYS played more like the EC released take than the Dave version.

Okay...i checked. Seen it about ten times. Solo, Imposters, Attractions...even with Steve duo and Rude 5 too.
jmm

Post by jmm »

It’s one my favs every time they play it

BA is the recording from njpac from the when I was cruel tour yours? That’s the definitive version for me
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

I remember it coming up a fair bit on the Attractions reunion tours - along with a joke about the career ending Curse of Costello (the original cover being pretty much Dave Edmunds sole hit) followed by a sheepish 'no that's not true'!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:It’s one my favs every time they play it

BA is the recording from njpac from the when I was cruel tour yours? That’s the definitive version for me
you know jmm, i think initially mine was the only recording from this GREAT GREAT show. then, another surfaced a few months later if i recall correctly. naturally, i liked mine better. :lol: :lol:

WindUpWorld wrote:I remember it coming up a fair bit on the Attractions reunion tours - along with a joke about the career ending Curse of Costello (the original cover being pretty much Dave Edmunds sole hit) followed by a sheepish 'no that's not true'!
& funnily enough, despite, i believe lucky thirteen Attractions shows for me from 1994-96, i never caught it. think my only A's take was 8-16-1984 Radio City,
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.
So did he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds' arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version or was there alcohol involved...?! :lol:

By the way I can't believe you omitted the apostrophe :wink: :lol:
jmm

Post by jmm »

BA, it’s beyond my powers but a link here to the njpac version would probably go over BIG!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'll need doc assist myself. will work on it

you know J...from this artwork link,

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/imag ... _front.jpg

i see this is NOT my recording. i might have even had a mishap losing some music that night for a bad tape flip...ill check.
perhaps doc can locate THIS recording. he loves sharing things like this at fans request, i bet he gets to it if he can find it!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Neil. wrote:Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.
So did he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds' arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version or was there alcohol involved...?! :lol:

By the way I can't believe you omitted the apostrophe :wink: :lol:
There would definitely have been alcohol involved! And you're quite right, it should totally be Girls' Talk!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:I've seen him do it a few times in Cardiff and Swansea- I think and he's often dedicated it to Dave Edmunds - it's always been a bit faster than the B-side but maybe not quite as fast as the Dave version - this probably doesn't help much does it ? First performed on the Wake Up Canada tour of November 1978 and at Cardiff at least 6 times as solo, with the Imposters and with Steve Nieve - each is different in pacing . The definitive band version is probably best demonstrated by the Sophia Gardens soundboard recording from 1979 - pm me your address and I'll snail mail you a copy if you want Neil !
Thanks, Sulky! OMG, Sofia Gardens! I saw my first 'proper' gig there - Saxon, Denim & Leather tour, I think it was. Awful band! The roof collapsed a few years later after heavy snow, and they condemned the place. In its place stands a National Express information kiosk. (Sorry, this is very far off the EC heritage trail... it's barely even on the Saxon heritage trail...)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ssssh Neil, don't tell JF else I'll be taking a shovel to Cardiff to check the foundations !!! :shock:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Booking a jcb right now.... :D
verbal gymnastics

Is that the modern day equivalent of "If you really want to bury my act..."? :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jmm

Post by jmm »

BA I never had any artwork. There is a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed
Last edited by jmm on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:BA I never had any artwork. There is one song with a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed
Seeing doc Saturday....if nothing else ill get the audio to doc to share here
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
jmm wrote:BA I never had any artwork. There is one song with a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed
Seeing doc Saturday....if nothing else ill get the audio to doc to share here
I already have the other recording from that night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bstsyh0WOzk
jmm

Post by jmm »

Thanks doc and BA. Seems like the one (albeit a little tinny on my phone)

Hard to believe that great night was 16 yrs ago

Get well soon EC, hoping to we all get to have a night like that again soon!!

Looking forward to seeing you there guys