Girls Talk - live

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Girls Talk - live

Postby Neil. » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:00 pm

I don't think I've ever heard Elvis sing 'Girls Talk' live. Seems it's been a mainstay of the recent (sadly neccessarily abandoned) tour. Has anyone heard him sing it live, and if so, does he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version?

sulky lad
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby sulky lad » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes , Neil ! :roll:

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: In a very fashionable hovel

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby verbal gymnastics » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Neil. - I’ve seen him sing it a few times and, as you’d expect, he has sung it in a number of different arrangements.

On one version, the intro to me sounded a bit like Hanging Around by The Stranglers. But it’s probably just me :lol:
Look at me now
My how things have changed

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby Goon Squad » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm

verbal gymnastics wrote:Neil. - I’ve seen him sing it a few times and, as you’d expect, he has sung it in a number of different arrangements.

On one version, the intro to me sounded a bit like Hanging Around by The Stranglers. But it’s probably just me :lol:


I’ve also heard it, but not sure about VG’s interpretation !
.............VG , it is just you ! :wink:

:lol:

User avatar
docinwestchester
Posts: 2163
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby docinwestchester » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4YGV_7gIs
2011-05-22

Definitely propulsive. Great vocals!

sulky lad
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby sulky lad » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:28 pm

I've seen him do it a few times in Cardiff and Swansea- I think and he's often dedicated it to Dave Edmunds - it's always been a bit faster than the B-side but maybe not quite as fast as the Dave version - this probably doesn't help much does it ? First performed on the Wake Up Canada tour of November 1978 and at Cardiff at least 6 times as solo, with the Imposters and with Steve Nieve - each is different in pacing . The definitive band version is probably best demonstrated by the Sophia Gardens soundboard recording from 1979 - pm me your address and I'll snail mail you a copy if you want Neil !

bronxapostle
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby bronxapostle » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Ive seen it a few times solo as well as by the Imposters. Not sure if i ever saw Attractions play it. Gotta check...i guess it is ALWAYS played more like the EC released take than the Dave version.

Okay...i checked. Seen it about ten times. Solo, Imposters, Attractions...even with Steve duo and Rude 5 too.

jmm
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby jmm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:18 pm

It’s one my favs every time they play it

BA is the recording from njpac from the when I was cruel tour yours? That’s the definitive version for me
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man

WindUpWorld
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby WindUpWorld » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 am

I remember it coming up a fair bit on the Attractions reunion tours - along with a joke about the career ending Curse of Costello (the original cover being pretty much Dave Edmunds sole hit) followed by a sheepish 'no that's not true'!

bronxapostle
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby bronxapostle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 am

jmm wrote:It’s one my favs every time they play it

BA is the recording from njpac from the when I was cruel tour yours? That’s the definitive version for me


you know jmm, i think initially mine was the only recording from this GREAT GREAT show. then, another surfaced a few months later if i recall correctly. naturally, i liked mine better. :lol: :lol:


WindUpWorld wrote:I remember it coming up a fair bit on the Attractions reunion tours - along with a joke about the career ending Curse of Costello (the original cover being pretty much Dave Edmunds sole hit) followed by a sheepish 'no that's not true'!


& funnily enough, despite, i believe lucky thirteen Attractions shows for me from 1994-96, i never caught it. think my only A's take was 8-16-1984 Radio City,
Last edited by bronxapostle on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby Neil. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 am

Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: In a very fashionable hovel

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby verbal gymnastics » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:28 am

Neil. wrote:Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.


So did he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds' arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version or was there alcohol involved...?! :lol:

By the way I can't believe you omitted the apostrophe :wink: :lol:
Look at me now
My how things have changed

jmm
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby jmm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am

BA, it’s beyond my powers but a link here to the njpac version would probably go over BIG!!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man

bronxapostle
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby bronxapostle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:13 am

i'll need doc assist myself. will work on it

you know J...from this artwork link,

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/imag ... _front.jpg


i see this is NOT my recording. i might have even had a mishap losing some music that night for a bad tape flip...ill check.
perhaps doc can locate THIS recording. he loves sharing things like this at fans request, i bet he gets to it if he can find it!

Neil.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby Neil. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:57 pm

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Neil. wrote:Great stuff - thanks, all. I have a funny feeling I might have seen it in the Cardiff 'Return of the Spinning Songbook'.


So did he go with the propulsive Dave Edmunds' arrangement or the more laid-back Elvis B-side version or was there alcohol involved...?! :lol:

By the way I can't believe you omitted the apostrophe :wink: :lol:


There would definitely have been alcohol involved! And you're quite right, it should totally be Girls' Talk!!

Neil.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby Neil. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

And he did play it that night:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9846#p7705810

Neil.
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:14 am
Location: London

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby Neil. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

sulky lad wrote:I've seen him do it a few times in Cardiff and Swansea- I think and he's often dedicated it to Dave Edmunds - it's always been a bit faster than the B-side but maybe not quite as fast as the Dave version - this probably doesn't help much does it ? First performed on the Wake Up Canada tour of November 1978 and at Cardiff at least 6 times as solo, with the Imposters and with Steve Nieve - each is different in pacing . The definitive band version is probably best demonstrated by the Sophia Gardens soundboard recording from 1979 - pm me your address and I'll snail mail you a copy if you want Neil !


Thanks, Sulky! OMG, Sofia Gardens! I saw my first 'proper' gig there - Saxon, Denim & Leather tour, I think it was. Awful band! The roof collapsed a few years later after heavy snow, and they condemned the place. In its place stands a National Express information kiosk. (Sorry, this is very far off the EC heritage trail... it's barely even on the Saxon heritage trail...)

sulky lad
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby sulky lad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Ssssh Neil, don't tell JF else I'll be taking a shovel to Cardiff to check the foundations !!! :shock:

johnfoyle
Posts: 14405
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Dublin , Ireland

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby johnfoyle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am

Booking a jcb right now.... :D

User avatar
verbal gymnastics
Posts: 10805
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:44 am
Location: In a very fashionable hovel

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby verbal gymnastics » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 am

Is that the modern day equivalent of "If you really want to bury my act..."? :lol:
Look at me now
My how things have changed

sulky lad
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby sulky lad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jmm
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby jmm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 am

BA I never had any artwork. There is a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed
Last edited by jmm on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man

bronxapostle
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby bronxapostle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:23 am

jmm wrote:BA I never had any artwork. There is one song with a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed


Seeing doc Saturday....if nothing else ill get the audio to doc to share here

User avatar
docinwestchester
Posts: 2163
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby docinwestchester » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm

bronxapostle wrote:
jmm wrote:BA I never had any artwork. There is one song with a guy yelling in mine, would have to check. Also could probably get the file of the version I have to you or doc if needed


Seeing doc Saturday....if nothing else ill get the audio to doc to share here


I already have the other recording from that night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bstsyh0WOzk

jmm
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Girls Talk - live

Postby jmm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks doc and BA. Seems like the one (albeit a little tinny on my phone)

Hard to believe that great night was 16 yrs ago

Get well soon EC, hoping to we all get to have a night like that again soon!!

Looking forward to seeing you there guys
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jardine and 25 guests