Elvis and The Imposters, Riot Fest (Chicago), Sept 15, 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Riot Fest (Chicago), Sept 15, 2018

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And Miracle Man 8)

This looks like a set that Elvis could do in his sleep, and a nice easy one to do as his first comeback show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimryan1/2 ... 5fe76f4315

(...)
“I’m doing fine, thanks!” came the introduction from Elvis Costello to the festival crowd in his first Riot Fest appearance since 2012.

This was particularly great news from the English singer who canceled a run of summer dates following a cancer scare. Costello was yet another subject of online Riot Fest speculation in the weeks leading up to the festival as fans wondered aloud whether he’d actually be performing. But over the course of an hour on stage Saturday night, Costello let his music do the talking, dispelling any and all rumors.

Costello, who turned 64 last month, and his four-piece backing band The Imposters, set the pace early with a rollicking take on their 1978 classic “Pump it Up.” Most artists would be content to have an energetic call to arms like “Pump it Up” waiting as their closing number. Elvis Costello, however, uses it to set the pace and then builds on it throughout.

What followed was a murderer’s row of classics from the Costello pop and punk canon: “Miracle Man,” “Clubland,” “Radio Radio” and “(I Don’t Want to go to) Chelsea” opened the show.

As always, Costello’s secret weapon is the playing of Steve Nieve on the Vox Continental organ which anchors the Imposters and has provided Costello with invaluable interplay since 1977.

Elvis changed it up with a solo intro to “Radio Radio,” while his guitar work on “Lipstick Vogue” was an early highlight to a set that ultimately ended with the timely words of Nick Lowe on a drawn out take on “(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

What, no recording ?? :shock:
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters, Riot Fest, sept 2018

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle wrote:Heck, ELVIS AND IMPOSTERS + BLONDIE would be a nice summer USA amphitheatre double bill any old day.
Hmmm.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Bronx Apostle.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters, Riot Fest, sept 2018

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:Heck, ELVIS AND IMPOSTERS + BLONDIE would be a nice summer USA amphitheatre double bill any old day.
Hmmm.
THAT ba guy knows his shizzzzz. :D :D
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Brief review by Ted Chase extracted from a longer QRO Magazine review of the second day of Riot Fest, published on September 23, 2018.

" Less expected was the more relaxed, even introspective Elvis Costello. The living legend can pretty much do whatever he wants (looks how he’s managed to pull off his adopted name…), but on the Riot Stage at Riot Fest, one was hoping for more of his classic late seventies/early eighties rock hits. There was “(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea” and iconic Nick Lowe cover “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding”, but no “Oliver’s Army”, your correspondent’s favorite (he would have to work around him using the n-word in it…)."

MOOT