Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Pretty self-explanatory
Arbogast
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby Arbogast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 am

Anyone here who went to all four? Any thought on which was the best?

I only went to two, but I'd be surprised if 3/9 didn't emerge as the highest-rated....

sweetest punch
Posts: 3412
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby sweetest punch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 am

Has Elvis announced the Face In The Crowd songs as being from a new musical(as he used to) or just as new songs? Would this mean the musical will not happen?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

jardine
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby jardine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 am

From a distance, looking at the set lists etc., it seems that there is nothing much especially new with these shows. Is that true? Seems repetitive to a certain degree. No break-out venturing? Seems still kind-of 'stuck.'?

bronxapostle
Posts: 3776
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby bronxapostle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 am

jardine wrote:From a distance, looking at the set lists etc., it seems that there is nothing much especially new with these shows. Is that true? Seems repetitive to a certain degree. No break-out venturing? Seems still kind-of 'stuck.'?


not so jardine. with the volume of long unplayed songs, the eight or so changes nightly, the honing of the girls and their role, the small handful of new tunes, the joy and mastery with which the band is playing, and most importantly the surprise factor that EC even throws at his players returning to the show...STUNNING TO WATCH! it seems years since the shows had this element occuring. great work EC and the IMPOSTERS + ladies!

stricttime81
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby stricttime81 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

Arbogast wrote:Anyone here who went to all four? Any thought on which was the best?

I only went to two, but I'd be surprised if 3/9 didn't emerge as the highest-rated....


I went to all 4. I would say 3/7 and 3/9 were virtually a tie, with the slight edge to 3/7 only because it was fresh and the more energetic standing crowd.

Next for me would be 3/11, and 3/8 the "worst" (of course, they were all great) because of the annoying people around me.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer

Arbogast
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby Arbogast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 am

Here's the breakdown of the songs played only at particular shows:

3/7--30 SONGS
Big Tears
Miracle Man
Clubland
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Talking in the Dark
I Still Have That Other Girl
Next Time Around
Brilliant Mistake
God Give Me Strength

3/8--30 SONGS
Big Tears
Miracle Man
So Like Candy
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Shot With His Own Gun
Poor Fractured Atlas
This Year's Girl
God Give Me Strength
Less Than Zero

3/9--32 SONGS
Big Tears
High Fidelity
There Stands the Glass
Miracle Man
You Win Again
Shot With His Own Gun
Isabelle in Tears
Talking in the Dark
Brilliant Mistake
Red Shoes
Poor Napoleon

3/11--29 SONGS
You Belong to Me
Mystery Dance
Baby It's You
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Almost Blue
Veronica
Welcome to the Working Week
Tear...Doll Revolution
Man Out of Time

jardine
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Thoughts on the New York Shows...

Postby jardine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

bronxapostle wrote:
jardine wrote:From a distance, looking at the set lists etc., it seems that there is nothing much especially new with these shows. Is that true? Seems repetitive to a certain degree. No break-out venturing? Seems still kind-of 'stuck.'?


not so jardine. with the volume of long unplayed songs, the eight or so changes nightly, the honing of the girls and their role, the small handful of new tunes, the joy and mastery with which the band is playing, and most importantly the surprise factor that EC even throws at his players returning to the show...STUNNING TO WATCH! it seems years since the shows had this element occuring. great work EC and the IMPOSTERS + ladies!



Glad to hear this.


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 20 guests