New website

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New website

Post by sweetest punch »

EC’s website has a new design: https://www.elviscostello.com/#/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: New website

Post by sweetest punch »

There seem to be some changes going on: new website, new album, new label?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I just noticed the new website myself.

I'm not a fan. Of the new website. (I am fan of EC).
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I’m not a fan either - I’m assuming it’s a work in progress.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I like the new site. Wonderful Union - all their artist sites sort of look the same (template driven UI). It has to be easier to manage and a whole lot cheaper to maintain / host, etc. I just want to see more live shows posted - especially in NorCal.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, it's not about what's nice-looking - it has to be about what works for all platforms - PC, tablet, Mac, mobile etc. - particularly mobile.

And people want instant info that throws up results on search engines. The main titles of pages rank highly in Google.

So for example, on the old website, no human being would ever search for 'Elvis Costello Yellow Press' but they might search for 'Elvis Costello news'. But back then, he didn't have a page called 'News'. So people searching 'Elvis Costello News' might not have been thrown up the Yellow Press page (because it was called 'Yellow Press', not 'News'.)

Similarly, people would never search for 'Elvis Costello Dance Card', but they might for 'Elvis Costello Events' (though I suspect a better title for that page would be 'concerts' or 'shows' or 'live' - his team can find out using Google Trends. Personally, I can't imagine myself searching for 'Elvis Costello events')
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Agree with Neil.. It's much more conventional and accessible than the old site.
edney

Post by edney »

I don't like it.

The fact that it looks like all of their other websites is the problem. It's not personalised enough. It's just the same tired old template, concentrating on ticket sales and merchandise.

If it's a work in progress, fine. If EC gets involved with it, as he did the other one, using it as a tool to post comments about things that he felt needed to be said, also fine. But I'm not convinced.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yeah...the banality of this site BLOWS. should NOT fix what ain't broke...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Okay, according to Google Trends, they should really call the 'Events' section 'Tour' - that's what people search for most. See the results (green is 'tour')

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... o%20events
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

If you do a Google search " Elvis Costello tour", the tour dates show up on the Google search results page. Sweet. You don't even have to go to EC's page to find out where he is playing. So changing events to tour on the website makes sense, it doesn't necessarily cause any problems with finding the next EC gig. Wish I was on the east coast right now despite the weather issues. Out to the foggy GG Park I go. Enjoy tonight's show east coasters. Peace.
Charles

Post by Charles »

I’m not digging it at all! Where’s all of the previous info? I loved the album info, songs, appearances, concert reviews, pictures, “Yellow Press”, “Dance Card”, and all of the jazz. This new website is a slow drag...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hard though it is to understand as fans, Elvis's people are doing the right thing. It's providing the bare minimum in austere times for the industry - austerity that is not going to go away. All that needs to be updated is concert dates and news.

Elvis's website will not have high traffic - that is not an insult to his worth - most offical websites won't. His funds are better spent on organising tours, which is the only place he can make a living in this new age where nobody buys CDS or even downloads, really.

I will be buying Elvis's next album as a download out of loyalty (I presume there'll be no CD), but for convenience I'll probably actually listen to it streaming on Spotify.

Very cannily, the only things he offers for sale on his site are very 'analogue' things - vinyl copies and T-shirts - things people would actively need to order, that can't be streamed online.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Colour me unimpressed. Definitely a site intended to sell peripherals to the casual browser rather than one intended to be interesting to long-term fans. Hell, even Bruce Springsteen's website has a discography.

Having said that (and until the surprise news of the last few weeks) Elvis did seem to have decided that making and selling records was a blind alley, and that the future lies in playing gigs and selling t-shirts. And the website does seem to reflect that mentality, so...fine.
krm

Post by krm »

The old page was a nightmare when accessing it via the phone. If there is a need for a discography, he/they might as well link to the wiki :-)