Elvis and The Imposters , Port Chester , March 11 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters , Port Chester , March 11 2018

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:Again, if we see a video, we might know a bit more certainly.
Upon review, it sounds like the same guy who screamed "Two Little Hitlers" about 1 second prior to the start of Almost Blue. Wildly inappropriate and not a plant IMO.
Thanks doc. I always trust my instinct. I knew it was split second decision that he started to play it.
I say all those dorks should shut the heck up and enjoy what gets played.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I don't mind the requests, but sometimes the timing is awful, like the Two Little Hitlers moment.

Here's a truly lovely moment, when So Like Candy was requested at Carnegie Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9pjDqaquk#t=5s
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:I don't mind the requests, but sometimes the timing is awful, like the Two Little Hitlers moment.

Here's a truly lovely moment, when So Like Candy was requested at Carnegie Hall:

Yeah, well, NOTHING went wrong that night. A superb top ten show....for the ages, night two Carnegie!!
erey

Post by erey »

Upon review, it sounds like the same guy who screamed "Two Little Hitlers" about 1 second prior to the start of Almost Blue. Wildly inappropriate and not a plant IMO.
The "Two Little Hitlers" guy was the balcony, or maybe way in the back on the floor. The "Welcome to the Working Week" was in row CC, maybe seat 110. I saw him. I could probably pick him out of a line-up. :)

I wasn't suggesting the guy was plant. Just that his convoluted shout-out wasn't the first or only way his request was communicated to EC. He actually said something like, "It's Sunday, Elvis, so welcome us to the working week." I didn't really understand what he'd said until EC started playing the song. I can't believe EC would have been able to parse it, cold, from 20 feet away, over the rest of the crowd noise. But he went right into the song without so much as a "Huh?"
docinwestchester

erey wrote:
The "Two Little Hitlers" guy was the balcony, or maybe way in the back on the floor. The "Welcome to the Working Week" was in row CC, maybe seat 110. I saw him. I could probably pick him out of a line-up. :)

I wasn't suggesting the guy was plant. Just that his convoluted shout-out wasn't the first or only way his request was communicated to EC. He actually said something like, "It's Sunday, Elvis, so welcome us to the working week." I didn't really understand what he'd said until EC started playing the song. I can't believe EC would have been able to parse it, cold, from 20 feet away, over the rest of the crowd noise. But he went right into the song without so much as a "Huh?"
Interesting. You were definitely closer to the source than me.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

docinwestchester wrote:I don't mind the requests, but sometimes the timing is awful, like the Two Little Hitlers moment.

Lisa's face lit up just now when I played this, with goose bumps ensuing. Good times.
docinwestchester

Eugene wrote:

Lisa's face lit up just now when I played this, with goose bumps ensuing. Good times.
Was she the requester? If so, that's awesome. The look on his face, and the audience reaction, when he said "Yes?" is classic. Here's a much better sounding version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8fI-nteFMw
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.centerline.news/single-post ... oncert-run

Elvis Costello tames the elements during New York concert run

March 14, 2018

Jim Bessman

Paraphrasing W.C. Fields in A Fatal Glass of Beer, last Wednesday night (March 7) in Brooklyn and much of the nor’easter-wracked Eastern seaboard wasn’t a fit night out for man or beast. But Elvis Costello & The Imposters rose to the occasion for the many hearty souls who still braved the elements for the first of four New York area shows (Port Chester’s Capitol Theatre hosted the next three, last Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights).

Taking the stage to the perfect choice of Rosemary Clooney’s “Snow,” Elvis & Co.. were on fire from the get-go, rattling off an initial volley of front-loaded favorites (“Wonder Woman,” “Girls Talk,” “Big Tears,” “Miracle Man,” Radio Radio” and “This is Hell”) with such blazing abandon that drummer Pete Thomas seemed on the verge of spontaneously combusting at any moment.

Maybe the audience needed a breather when the pace finally did slow down a bit for ballads like “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” and “Motel Matches” (the latter always a Costello vocal tour de force), but the band didn’t: They kicked it right back up again with rockers like “(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea” and “Waiting for the End of the World.”

But it wasn’t just the band that was scorching. For his last few tours Costello has brought along two terrific backup vocalists in Briana Lee and Kitten Kuroi, and in these shows he’s really integrated them into the set masterfully, particularly the second half, following the band’s departure after “I Want You.” The gals stayed on and stepped over with Costello to a single microphone set up at the front of the stage, crowding him from both sides as they all sang “Alison” to his acoustic guitar accompaniment, the inspired trio turning into a three-way love fest by song’s end.

From there they followed Costello to keyboardist Steve “The Professor” Nieve’s vacant grand piano, maestro himself tickling the ivories as he sang “A Face in the Crowd,” Lee and Kuroi backing him on the title song of his hoped-for Broadway musical based on Elia Kazan’s 1957 film classic starring Andy Griffith and Patricia Neal.

Nieve resumed his rightful position when he returned for “the part of the show,” per Costello, “where we should put on our smoking jackets and sing the songs of the new wave” that Costello helped launch in the late 1970s”—the entries here being “Accidents Will Happen” and “Talking In the Dark.”

Thomas and bassist/vocalist Davey Faragher came back to close out the show with the others on songs including Costello’s great Burt Bacharach collaboration “God Give Me Strength” (another vocal stunner), his “You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way” soundtrack single from Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, and a second set of encores capped, as ever, by “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”

But there was something special and moving this time. Clearly having the time of their lives, Lee and Kuroi acted out each repetition of the “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” title line by first gesturing “What’s so funny?” and then flashing peace signs in answering “peace, love and understanding.”

Rather than coming off corny, it was truly affecting, so much so that a good many in the crowd responded in kind. And to top it all off, Costello announced that despite the declining consumer interest in the album format, he and The Imposters have in fact completed a new one for release later this year.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

docinwestchester wrote:
Eugene wrote:

Was she the requester? If so, that's awesome. The look on his face, and the audience reaction, when he said "Yes?" is classic. Here's a much better sounding version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8fI-nteFMw
That reminds me of the Brodsky Quartet show at Town Hall in New York back in 93. Elvis announced the last number and my buddy yelled out "Jacksons Monk and Rowe" really loudly and they played the song again. So much fun.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?