bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters , Port Chester , March 9 2018

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:Looking forward to it!!
Just Friday jmm???
jmm

Post by jmm »

Just the one, BA. Otherwise obligated the rest of the days. You?
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Lord willing, tomorrow and Friday. Feeling glad that i did not pull the trigger on tix for tonight, though feeling badly for those that will have trouble getting there. looking forward to seeing you and mrs. jmm Friday. should be great seeing new songs. i predict new l.p. will have NOTHING we have heard of before this week. like the good old days when he would give us loads of new songs LIVE before they were released to us.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Same feeling as you, BA, I think this will be a torrent of new material that has been welling up since the loss of Ross and I'm hoping for a real barnstorming, LOUD album . have a great couple of nights, looking forward to hearing all about the content and the huge increase in new songs for you :D
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I'm going! Scored a front row seat.

Edit: My front row seat is for Sunday night.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

docinportchester will attend
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

March 9 is sold out, according to EC’s website.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Hey, all...

It looks like I'll be selling either my Friday (3/9) or Sunday (3/11) tic. Terrific seats both:

Friday: Row BB, just left of center (hard tic, which I'll deliver)
Sunday, Row DD, just right of center, on aisle (e-ticket)

I'll sell whichever one (at cost: $175) I can and use the other myself.

Any interested parties, gimme a holler.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Stellar again...8 different from last night. A great Van Morrison track i did not know. Love when he fools the band doing his own thing. HE shocked the girls also with YOU WIN AGAIN...fun, fun, fun.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Such a better experience, and it's mostly due to just a couple of tweaks. The first was the sound, the bass notes were set just right, so the low end went right up to the edge of what's enjoyable, but didn't go over into distortion like last night. So the sound was galvanizing.
The second was my attitude. I spent last night expecting new material from the forthcoming album, and so didn't appreciate what was actually played. Tonight, not looking for new stuff, I just sat back and enjoyed a really comprehensive overview of an amazing body of work. Many differences from last night, one of my all time favorites--Poor Napoleon--, an actual new song (performed in Europe but getting an American premiere (Isabel in Tears), There Stands the Glass, what seemed to be an impromptu You Win Again, lots of great guitar shredding, ridiculous virtuosity by Steve, and amazing everything else. Such a good time!

Dave
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

FAVEHOUR:

I had the exact same experience tonight. Was a bit let down after the Bklyn show, mostly because I was expecting something different. But, like you, tonight I just decided to sit (also: sitting was nice) and enjoy, and boy, did I.

Very hot show. And, holy shit: Poor Napoleon!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist fm:

Wonder Woman
Girls Talk (with "A Love Supreme”)
Big Tears
High Fidelity
Radio Radio
This Is Hell
Come the Meantimes
Green Shirt
Watching the Detectives
Motel Matches
There Stands the Glass (Van Morrison cover) (a few verses)
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Waiting for the End of the World
Beyond Belief
Miracle Man
I Want You

Encore:
Alison
You Win Again
A Face in the Crowd
Blood & Hot Sauce
Accidents Will Happen
Shot With His Own Gun
Isabelle In Tears
Talking in the Dark
Brilliant Mistake
Blue Chair
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Poor Napoleon

Encore 2:
Everyday I Write the Book
Pump It Up
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Loved watching Steve watching Elvis during "Shot...". I felt too much attention on the women-just like EC's love of Larkin Poe. They don't provide much in the way of adding to the vocals IMHO. Girls Talk and Red Shoes slowed down too much for my taste.

My major gripe was the show starting 25 minutes past ticket time-not used to this with EC. For a "sold-out" show, there were plenty of empty seats in the front orchestra. We made the seat upgrade from row D to row B and still had seats empty to the left of us. Didn't have the stones to sit in the front row which seemed to be more than a few empty seats.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Steve has the wonderfully modest skill of being the most intuitive accompanist and will sublimate his skills just to serve the needs of any performance and then let rip when allowed the freedom - I could quote a thousands examples of this such as the whole of the 1999/2003 Costello/Nieve performances but two which will always stuck in my memory are the gentleness of the accompaniments in Talking In the Dark until he lets rip at the end of those with a majesty that's pretty much unsurpassed and Shot With His Own Gun, where Steve watches EC like a hawk to make sure his flourishes don't detract from the vocals. Beyond doubt, the greatest pianist accompanist in "rock'n'roll " ( for want of a better description), IMHO !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

At the wiki, someone entered YOU WN AGAIN as if it was just a snippet tacked on ending ALISON. yes, it was performed this way very often over the years. However, when he and the ladies walked over to the piano for A FACE IN THE CROWD, E sat down and began the song. To my eyes, Kitten and Briana were looking intently, trying to figure the deal. Firstly, I am pretty certain that he played the entire song. AND that the ladies did not know it was coming, yet they tried to add some flourishes to a song they perhaps had never heard before. Love when he does this... Maybe the video will verify.
docinwestchester

Another excellent night in Port Chester. Enough changes to prevent me from complaining about a static setlist. As expected, they changed it up after coming back for Alison, starting with an impromptu You Win Again which clearly left Kitten and Briana in a state of mildly amused confusion. Video does indeed verify, benny. The North American premiere of Isabelle in Tears was neat to hear as well. Talking In The Dark is an old favorite of mine and as sulky mentioned, showcases Steve Nieve at his absolute finest. "Lets rip at the end" - hell yeah!

So far, the acoustics upstairs have been superb. It's been a while since I said that about an EC and Imposters show.

There were some chatty guys behind me and they were especially annoying during the ballads. Trying to sing along with Elvis - ugh. Thanks to benny, who was sitting next to me, for giving them a touch of the Bronx "business". They didn't completely shut up, but thanks for the effort ba.

Finally, I want to complain once again about a seemingly trivial thing which bugs the hell out of me. Why can't this group stand together as one for a proper bow at the end of the show? Steve seems to be the most reluctant to get in the line, and he distracts Pete and Davey from doing so as well.

Will he pull out all the stops for night 3? Hope so.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

There Stands the Glass ought to be attributed to Webb Pierce, not Van. He popularized it first.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/elvis ... -2018.html

Elvis Costello and The Imposters
Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY
Friday March 9th, 2018

Written by Helen Bach | March 10, 2018

Mr Costello ran onto stage and fired off the tune “Wonder Woman” right out of the gate. I honestly thought he only performed this on the previous night in honor of International Woman’s Day, but nope- there it was. A lesser known tune from his collab with Allan Tousaint on the album The River In Reverse, has choked me up a million times and never did I think I would hear it live. But I did and it led in full throttle to “Girls Talk” wait.. is this chick tribute some sort of cosmic nod to why Costello’s Vegas residency hit the rail? hmm

Costello ended up in Port Chester after cancelling abruptly his residence at the famous Wynn resort in Las Vegas. Although not clearly stated (but implied) this pull out was in response to the alleged sexual misconduct by the innkeeper extraordinaire Steve Wynn. There were a boatload of pissed off baby boomers who secured time off, flights, sitters, dog walkers, etc etc to partake in the event only to have it yanked. But woo hoo lucky me cuz and thanks Mr Wynn, for due to your indiscretions us Northerners got the King back.

Seemingly happy Costello whipped through his first set like a man late for work. On top of ‘Girls Talk’ the crowd was treated to “Radio Radio”, “This is Hell”, “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” and my two favorite Costello songs of all time “Green Shirt’ and “Beyond Belief”. without so much as a pause for applause he wailed away like a man on a time budget- but still offering up a boatload of charisma.

The usher who walked me in informed me “he rocks out then he gets all mellow then he sorta rocks out again, its cool’ And he was right. After a brief pause there was the pseudo encore (remember when you had to cheer til your hands bled for a performer to return? No longer! Now its a pee break or something) and time to get your hat.

Second set was The Red Hat set. Slowed down with Costello on piano and his lovely back up singers sharing a silent joke now and then but belting out the tunes like no ones business. I had heard the stripped down “Allison” on the last go round and really wasn’t feeling it. I prefer the original, but hey that’s me- this second visit to the trio version also left me flat. That’s OK, The Red Hat set just wasn’t my scene, and it would be just fine if I never heard “Shot With His Own Gun”, ever again.

Time for another encore!

Enter The Blue Hat set! Now remember the usher said he would ‘sorta rock again’, and again he was right! A lovely version of “Everyday I Write the Book’ had guitar work a plenty. This made me realize how much I neglect Costello s guitar work. His voice is what draws me in but tonight (for the first time ever) I realize what a really talented guitarist he is.

He looks fab. His voice is stellar and age isnt touching it yet- Magic fingers

Ya get an A, son.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

EDIT - From March 8th , night one - posted here in error , sorry.

Photos by Melissa

https://twitter.com/melissa_wc/status/9 ... 5730492417

stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Great show, far surpassing the previous night, IMO.

And having sat Orchestra Right last night, I can say I officially have a crush on Briana Lee!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

johnfoyle wrote:
This is 100% NOT from last night...Kitten had on a silver top and silver boots...Brianna had on a maroonish outfit.
docinwestchester

Eugene wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:
This is 100% NOT from last night...Kitten had on a silver top and silver boots...Brianna had on a maroonish outfit.
Correct. That is from night one.