It's official..."brilliant new album", incl. new interview , April 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: It's official..."brilliant new album"

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Saturday parking lot update:

The signs reserving parking spaces for EC, Steve Nieve, and Sebastian Krys are gone. The signs for T Bone, Mike Piersante, and Rocket Fuel Records are still up.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:They are in United?
https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 49376?s=20
EC posted that picture Friday afternoon, but I wonder if it may have been taken Wednesday, when Steve mentioned being at United.

I hope they weren't dividing their time between Village and United yesterday, because they would have wasted a lot of time stuck in traffic caused by the rain.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Great news, made my day. I'm curious as to what the direction or sound will be. Will it be a continuation of SP&S/ National Ransom ? Or will it be like Momofuku? In any event, I have to pinch myself. I'll actually be listening to a new Elvis Costello & the Imposters album hopefully this year.
And No Coffee Table

They must have left Los Angeles, because Briana Lee says rehearsals in New York begin today.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:They must have left Los Angeles, because Briana Lee says rehearsals in New York begin today.
Yes, Kitten Kuroi is bathing in an nyc hotel bathtub at twitter.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

chickendinna wrote:I'll actually be listening to a new Elvis Costello & the Imposters album hopefully this year.
Surely it'll be this side of summer, cos they're touring in June.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It could be The Other Side of Summer... :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

or even After the Fall.....
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

You chortlesome chaps! :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I refuse to comment on the two previous posts from gentlemen who really should know better just as long as it happens before
"I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came" :roll:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

I just hope it doesn't drag on coz we might end up "Waiting For The End Of The World". :oops:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

April 5th?
migdd

Post by migdd »

EC has a new single being released on Record Store Day on Yep Roc Records. Wondering if Yep Roc will release the new album, as well. It's a good label and they have had a pretty successful relationship with Nick Lowe for several years now.

*** edited out the Imposters reference.
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

May 17th?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

MOOT, I love your forensic analysis of the evidence. But part of me expects an unheralded splurge (bad choice of words) of new songs unrelated to other projects. Apart from maybe 'You Shouldn't Look at Me', which I think will be on the new album.

That said, do albums even exist anymore? 'You Shouldn't Look at Me' is already out there digitally, so people wouldn't buy it on the strength of that song, as they prob already have it. There may not even be a CD release this time - poss just vinyl and download.
Last edited by Neil. on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I would say it's also possible that we could be looking at Kojak Variety Vol. 2, but that's just me maybe reading too much into his tweets of various LP covers (Sinatra, Beach Boys, Butterfield Blues Band, etc) amidst all his cryptic photos from the recording studio...

If I had a wish beyond "just a new collection of songs for The Imposters unrelated to any unproduced or yet-to-be-completed stage projects" it would be to finally mop up all the many unrecorded songs he has built up over decades, like his Carole King co-write, "Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter" or "Suspect My Tears", etc.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Well, I had that though when I saw those Hollywood star tweets. Lots of songwriters. But then there was Cybil Shepherd and other non-songwriters.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Neil. wrote:MOOT, I love your forensic analysis of the evidence. But part of me expects an unheralded splurge (bad choice of words) of new songs unrelated to other projects. Apart from maybe 'You Shouldn't Look at Me', which I think will be on the new album.

That said, do albums even exist anymore? 'You Shouldn't Look at Me' is already out there digitally, so people wouldn't buy it on the strength of that song, as they prob already have it. There may not even be a CD release this time - poss just vinyl and download.
I've tried, so far, to make sure that if I find some music 'on line' that i really like, that i will then purchase the cd -- e.g., lately, Richard Dawson's Peasant. It is a rather pitiful attempt to say to an artist, "Yes, i'm not just going to take this from you. I'm going to at least try to support you continuing to create."

But if I can't find a way to buy it, I usually end up deleting it. I understand. It is a creepy, out-of-date habit of mine formed over long years. If YSLAMTW is out there 'digitally', i don't really 'have' it, because I wasn't given it. I stole it.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

jardine wrote: But if I can't find a way to buy it, I usually end up deleting it. I understand. It is a creepy, out-of-date habit of mine formed over long years. If YSLAMTW is out there 'digitally', i don't really 'have' it, because I wasn't given it. I stole it.
Crikey, that's interesting. I always buy every album physically - as a CD for the past 2 decades or so. But now I'm wondering if there will even be a physical copy.

I never play CDs any more cos it's awkward - I tend to listen to streamed radio.

I've bought Elvis albums and singles on vinyl, then bog-standard CD, then excellent Ryko reissue CD, then AMAZING Rhino double CD reissues.

But if there's no physical album this time, I'll buy the download package on principle, as a loyal fan since sort of 1979 (but properly 1983).

That said, I haven't bought 'YSLAMTW' as a single download yet, just like I would presume the 45-inch single would be on the album I would later buy.

That said, Elvis always made buying the 45 interesting by having something that wouldn't be on the forthcoming album.

(I've forgotten what I was trying to say) x
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Pete Thomas told a fan at a stage door after one the recent shows in New York that the new album is coming out in September.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I'm hoping a new album will be available in 24-bit on hdtracks.com; YSLAMTW is.

This vinyl craze lately doesn't make much sense to me since they are using the 24-bit digital master to make the LP. Why not just buy the 24-bit master and not have to deal with the pops and scratches? Also, since they are using super thick vinyl, there are 2-3 songs per side. I don't want to listen to three songs and have to get up and flip an album. What's next, getting rid of TV remotes?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Perhaps the use of the word album shouldn't be taken too literally - it could simply be generic.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hmmm - if the album's out in September, that suggests another tour this autumn. I wonder whether therefore we'll be treated to any of the new songs in the summer tour. I hope he plays loads of 'em.
erey

Post by erey »

Neil. wrote:Hmmm - if the album's out in September, that suggests another tour this autumn. I wonder whether therefore we'll be treated to any of the new songs in the summer tour. I hope he plays loads of 'em.
I wouldn't bank on (m)any new songs in the summer tour. During the late-winter tourlette, EC specifically said he wasn't going to play any because the album wasn't out yet.

He also said that the original plan was to have the new album out by early March, but plans got changed around.