Elvis and The Imposters, Edinburgh (Scotland), June 24, 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Edinburgh (Scotland), June 24, 2018

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Juliette Jones published in Scottish cultural and listings magazine The Skinny on 27 June 2018.

"Elvis Costello and the Imposters @ Playhouse, Edinburgh, 24 Jun

Fans of all ages unite at the Edinburgh Playhouse for a satisfying mix of old and new songs played masterfully by Elvis Costello and the Imposters

4 stars
Elvis Costello by Bernadette Mcallister
Elvis Costello by Bernadette Mcallister
132899_widescreen.1.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 12168 times

Despite Elvis Costello’s wild claim in 1977 that he’s not angry, it’s the stamping and shouting that still drives his live shows, including tonight’s at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Amongst the audience’s anticipation of faithful versions of the punk-era classics, there’s a kind of reverence: anyone who checks their phone in the middle of Watching the Detectives, or, God forbid, Pump It Up will be, rightly, moaned at by their gig partner. Things are kicked off with a powerful version of Wonder Woman from Costello's 2006 collaborative album with Allan Toussaint, The River in Reverse.

The Imposters are brilliant: the two amazing backing singers raise the roof on their own, and Pills and Soap just wouldn’t be the same without Steve Nieve’s keyboard tinkling. When he plays two keyboards at right angles to each other, he channels an odd version of Rick Wakeman who you’d happily talk to at a party. Some of it almost falls prey to the ace musicianship, though – the mysterious, compelling crossways current of Beyond Belief gets drummed a bit too hard, and it’s not clear how many people really want to hear another slowed down, jazzy version of Oliver’s Army. Still, for all the musical showing off it’s the punky energy that powers the gig, although there’s more enjoyment than indulgence of Costello when he gets the piano out and plays Shot With His Own Gun and Adieu Paris.

Costello’s stage presence and appearance are powerful, too. He’s gone from looking like the kid at school who didn’t dare take any cool subjects to a hip college lecturer who gets his guitar out in class when things get quiet. It’s compelling if you’re into that sort of thing, and a reminder that everything his music is about is shot through with sex. Elvis the Pelvis lives. He’s funny, stepping nicely into the role of gap-toothed Scouser in cod stand-up bits between songs. There are several reminders throughout the gig of how ace his lyrics are. 'It’s the stupid details that my heart is breaking for / It’s the way your shoulders shake and what they’re shaking for' for instance, in a theatrical version of I Want You, does what certain Van Morrison couplets do: they are at once obscure and painfully clear.

Sadly, there’s still no good answer to the question 'What’s so funny about peace, love and understanding?' particularly in these troubled times. The whole gig is a brilliant, satisfying 20th meets 21st century affair, younger and older fans enjoying the show and perhaps taking different things from it, though as the post-concert crowd spill out onto the street, there are more primitive fan renditions of the original version of Oliver’s Army than the one played tonight.

http://www.elviscostellouk.com/"

I like the description of Steve as "an odd version of Rick Wakeman who you’d happily talk to at a party." And I write as someone with his own vinyl copy of "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table".

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote:I like the description of Steve as "an odd version of Rick Wakeman who you’d happily talk to at a party." And I write as someone with his own vinyl copy of "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table".

MOOT
Rick's not cool at parties?
Man out of Time

On YouTube there is a good audience video recording of "Oliver's Army" from this show. You can see it here:

Several things are interesting. Firstly, to my ears, how shot Elvis' voice was and (I think) in order to give it some respite, he takes the song at about two thirds of normal pace. In deference to the venue, The Thames becomes The Forth in the chorus. Also, from 1:14 in the recording, he adds an extra verse to the song. It comes after the verse starting "There was a checkpoint charlie" and ending "When you've been on the murder mile". The new verse appears to be :

"He took the Kaiser's Mark and
The old King's Shilling.
They sent a boy back crying Mam,
to do the dying and the killing."

The third line above may not be accurate and I would welcome any other suggestions. Clearly the phrase "King's Shilling" is familar, and the reference to the Kaiser, points to this bring WWI rather than WWII.

This verse takes the place of the usual couplet beginning:

"Only takes one itchy trigger" - therefore the addition of this verse allows the omission of the following line which finishes with the controversial "N" word. Has anyone come across this exra verse elsewhere? Any other recent examples of Elvis avoiding the N word when singing this song?

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Man out of Time wrote:The new verse appears to be :

"He took the Kaiser's Mark and
The old King's Shilling.
They sent a boy back crying Mam,
to do the dying and the killing."

The third line above may not be accurate and I would welcome any other suggestions. Clearly the phrase "King's Shilling" is familar, and the reference to the Kaiser, points to this bring WWI rather than WWII.

This verse takes the place of the usual couplet beginning:

"Only takes one itchy trigger" - therefore the addition of this verse allows the omission of the following line which finishes with the controversial "N" word. Has anyone come across this exra verse elsewhere? Any other recent examples of Elvis avoiding the N word when singing this song?
The original verse seems to have been retired. He was still singing it at the last 2017 performance of "Oliver's Army" (March 20 in Sheffield) but sang the new verse at the first 2018 performance (June 15 in Nottingham).

I hear the third line as "they sent a boy not quite a man."
Man out of Time

Elvis performed "Oliver's Army" with The Imposters in Southampton last night (1 March 2020).

I was listening out for this new verse (in lieu of the Checkpoint Charlie) verse. However, there now seems to be another new verse, not the one about The Kaiser's Mark.

I could not catch all the new verse, but to my ears I heard a reference to Enniskillen and also the BBC.

Enniskillen has some links to regiments of the British army, but also several events during The Troubles. I would be interested if anyone can catch the new verse and confirm (or refute) my hearing of it.

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Nothing wrong with your hearing MooT. In Liverpool I also heard Enniskillern and BBC, but not much else from the new verse.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It's hard to make out the words, but the new verse can be heard in a video from Liverpool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLEDESUOlA