Elvis and The Imposters, Nottingham (England), June 15, 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Imposters, Nottingham (England), June 15, 2018

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Pars

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nottingham (England), June 15, 2018

Post by Pars »

Secured 3 tickets in the Pre-Sale, stalls, 4th row.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Me and Sulky Lad Junior, now dwarfing his Dad at his 4th Costello gig - just proves nurture over nature !!
Cocktail Murderess

Post by Cocktail Murderess »

:D Spirit of Curiosity and myself are en route as I type. See you there Sulky :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I keep my lipstick twisted tight.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tom , on Facebook, reports -

Elvis is in town! Just in the foyer nicking all the flyers and I got to hear an aborted attempt at Girls Talk in the soundcheck...

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Enjoy all my friends...can't wait for setlists and hard ticket stubs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rachael is stage front -

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Conspiracy theory anyone??? First night of tour and BOTH the fan forum & the wiki down and out for twelve hours, the horror!! I probably only checked in about ten times looking for the setlist. :lol: how about you? And please do not say those two silly words...Elvis jinx. ANYWAY, okay y'all let us see it now PLEASE. Enjoy your shows, ba
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

johnfoyle wrote:Rachael is stage front -

You managed to get my best side. That’s me leaning on the stage in the background.

It was an odd gig. Took a while to get going, the sound was lousy. The Elvis and Steve bit was fantastic though. All in all, a good night, but I’ve seen better.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

OK, the jinx is going strong !
I drove from Plymouth to Birmingham and picked up Sulky Lad Junior who was tied up slightly with his thesis and I began to get the panics about leaving for Nottingham in time. We had to cross Birmingham in the rush hour but arrived with ages to spare. had to get something to eat before meeting up with AndrewM, MikeH, Mr And Mrs. Bradwell Boy, Cocktail Murderess And Spirit Of Curiosity and Neil from Tamworh !! We were all unsure as to what we'd hear,would it be lots of new songs, a re-run of the IB and Other Chambers gigs or concerts like the U.K. 2016 which were just a career overview ?
I was impressed by the number of attendees, the show looked to be pretty much sold out in the auditorium though I couldn't see the balcony.Elvis followed out the Imposters and the girls "san chapeau" and to the sound of the theme to the TV series Robin Hood from the 1950s and 60s,drawing ironic cheers from the locals, sung by Dick James, more famous for becoming the publisher for all the early and famous Lennon-McCartney songs.
All bets were off as to the starting song as they blasted into Wonder Woman and my hopes of a soul revue were raised briefly. In the end we got a sort of greatest hits setlist with the only unusual song being one dedicated to Johnny Halliday who's birthday it was. This followed She and Elvis joked about singing She in the original French before singing the song in french which I haven't yet identified. The backing singers and Davey were especially superb and the version of Tears Before Bedtime with its final acapella ending brought shivers and goosebumps simultaneously ( how versatile am I ?). Because of the sound issues I coudln't really pick out Steve's contributiosn but Pete was amazing and drove lots of classics on, especially the nonstop run of Chelsea,WFTEOTW,Beyond belief ( his piece de resistance) and Mystery Dance.
Elvis' voice seemed fine until, he came to ballads were suddenly there seemed a lack of power but as he performed Alison with just Kitten and Briana, it sounded much stronger. However, nearly everyone we talked to afterwards complained about the muddiness of the mix. Neil a musician from some well known Birmingham bands was especially critical about the sound. However, a recording that I may or may not have heard partially sounds great. My complaint was how hard it was to hear the keyboards and I wondered if it was because we were sitting stage right. Highlights for me were the Costello/Nieve segment, including Talking In The Dark and the band version of Waiting For The End Of the World ( listen to Davey come in early after he was motioning to his sound man !) and Mystery Dance and the lowlights were almost certainly She, especially with the crooner next to me singing along awfully and the french song - I refuse in principle to clap She and and if I ever meet Richard Curtis ....... (I'll probably let him off just because of Blackadder !)
Oliver's Army was performed by just Elvis and Steve and included two new lines removing the now controversial lines about itchy trigger/white n***** lines and substituting about a boy who's nearly a man to do the killing and the dying . It also referred to the "boys from the Mersey and the TRENT and the Tyne".
Most of us congregated by the stage door after the show and we all saw the band come out. Pete and Davey snook into a people carrier but I got to speak to them both. I said the mix seemed bad from where I was and that i could only hear the bass and drums and Pete replied "That's all you need to hear !". Steve appeared after that and also said hullo and when I said I couldn't hear him, he asked if my hearing was going! After that, Elvis came out and posed for photos and signatures with Chris Toast trying to hurry him away.
So, no new songs and Davey said he couldn't say anything about the new album except that it was finished and was gracious and friendly but decidedly aware of the need not to disclose any "scoops" regarding the album.
An intriguing prospect for a gig, I guess this is not the promotional tour to support a new album but that will follow in the U.S. in the autumn ( gnashing of teeth) :twisted:
The gig started relatively early before 8:30 and was over by 10 pm and I got to Birmingham by midnight and back to Devon at 3:40 am up at 7:40 to see Mrs. Sulky off to work and then back for sleep stage 2 !
Full setlist will follow once I've finished my re-listening !
Last edited by sulky lad on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:Conspiracy theory anyone??? First night of tour and BOTH the fan forum & the wiki down and out for twelve hours, the horror!! I probably only checked in about ten times looking for the setlist. :lol: how about you? And please do not say those two silly words...Elvis jinx. ANYWAY, okay y'all let us see it now PLEASE. Enjoy your shows, ba
I did the same things. Continously trying to get some kind of info....but nada! Not funny at all! Where can I get a life?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Continuing to be amazed by the sound of this concert !!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Great to meet up with Sulky and Sulky jr. How that young man resisted the Elvis tea towel is beyond me. Great show and the backing singers were thrilling. Funnily enough, She was a highlight for me along with Clubland and Tears.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Nottingham

01. Wonder Woman
02. Girls Talk
03. Clubland
04. Tears Before Bedtime
05. Come The Meantimes
06. Green Shirt
07. Watching The Detectives
08. Good Year For The Roses
09. Motel Matches
10. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
11. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
12. Waiting For The End Of The World
13. Beyond Belief
14. Mystery Dance
15. Alison
16. Accidents Will Happen
17. Talking In The Dark
18. Oliver's Army
19. She
20. Adieu Paris
21. You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way
22. Shipbuilding
23. Pump It Up
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Yeah....

1) WTF was up with this site last night?

2) Set list looks about identical to the NY shows in March. Meh.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis reveiled that the famous French artist for whom he wrote Adieu Paris,was Johnny Hallyday.
Sadly, Johnny died on December 5, 2017.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Muddy sound and a short set - I’m not unhappy to have missed this one!

Hope everything’s better for Oxford.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Arbogast wrote:Yeah....

1) WTF was up with this site last night?

2) Set list looks about identical to the NY shows in March. Meh.
We don't get "She" in the USA very often...in fact, I've never heard it live. I'll let BA fill me in on the performances as I'm too lazy to do the research. Otherwise, your comment is pretty much spot on.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

We don't get "She" in the USA very often...in fact, I've never heard it live.
Well lucky USA!!! Continuing to play it in every UK concert is a complete mystery to me when he has so many of his own ballads that would much improve the setlist. Could do without Adieu Paris as well - all in all the French interlude at Nottingham was most unwelcome.
As was the boomy sound early on, which seemed to get a bit better as the gig went on.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on ... ew-1686438

'If this was the World Cup, you might say the team wasn't fully match-fit' - Elvis Costello in Nottingham

'Maybe it was just fatigue'

Maybe it was a rushed rehearsal period. Maybe it was just fatigue. But Elvis Costello certainly took a long time to get going on the opening night of his European tour. If this was the World Cup, God forbid, you might even say the team wasn't fully match-fit. Yet, frustratingly, there were also blinding shafts of such shining potential I just know they'll be on brilliant form wherever they're playing as you read this.

Don't get me wrong. The Imposters (basically The Attractions with bassist Davey Faragher replacing Bruce Thomas) didn't miss a chance to prove their impeccable musicianship, with Steve Nieve's keyboards a consistently surprising delight and the thunderous drums of Pete Thomas knitting with Faragher's basslines as powerfully as a kick in the chest.

Likewise, backing vocalists Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee were superb, soulfully and wittily icing the musical cake every time they were called upon. The setlist - a magnificent stream of songs plucked from the breadth of Costello's lengthy career - was a triumph, studded with both hits and fan-favourite obscurities.

But the pieces struggled to truly fit together, especially in the opening stretches.

They came on to the old Robin Hood TV theme music (ho ho). Costello - in his bulging shades, looking disturbingly reminiscent of Bono (and later, sporting a scarlet trilby, even more disturbingly like Bono's dad on a heavy night out) - screeched out plenty of joyfully extreme guitar feedback and hit some vocal high notes. But just as often he seemed to be slightly off-tempo. A boomy sound mix hardly helped.

Even so, there was some early magic. It's always great to hear Costello tear through the bracing Girls' Talk and a complete re-arrangement of Imperial Bedroom's Tears Before Bedtime (to reflect "not how I wrote it but how I feel now") was a beautiful, bluesy marvel, significantly improving on the record. And they did Green Shirt, which is never a bad thing.

But there were longeurs. A Good Year For The Roses was a bit of a strain and even Watching The Detective was under-powered, lacking the scathing drama of yore.

It took a cracking (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea to really get things rocking. And, as time rolled on, the band seemed to start enjoying themselves. Costello made a fine job of Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and Motel Matches and blew out all the stops for Beyond Belief and Mystery Dance.

The main set came to a sudden stop after just an hour but the night leapt up to a still higher level with around 50 minutes of encores, starting with just Costello, Kuroi and Lee singing a lovely Alison.

Nieve joined Elvis for rearranged versions of Accident Will Happen and Talking In The Dark before a spellbinding Shipbuilding. Then he nearly ruined everything with Charles Aznavour's She but luckily followed that with an atmospheric song in French and English written for the late "French Elvis" Johnny Hallyday (and performed here on what would have been Hallyday's birthday) to save the day.

They ended - as tradition demands - with rousing blasts of Pump It Up and Nick Lowe's (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding, rowdy crowd-pleasers which brought everybody to their feet for the final lap. Trouble is, I remember him doing that at the other end of the show. But not every night can be a classic.

Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Surprisingly for a local paper, a very fair and accurate review!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

An enjoyable review. My favourite line is "looking...later, ...like Bono's dad on a heavy night out" :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The reviewer seemed very knowledgeable and more or less said what forum members had said in here.

Lets hope this was a 'pre season friendly' for Southend next week' :D