bollocks
Goon Squad

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters Southend 27th June 2018

Post by Goon Squad »

Gutted ! :(
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Unfortunately due to doctor's advice, this concert has been postponed. Ticket holders should retain their tickets and await further details of the re-scheduled date."

https://southendtheatres.org.uk/Online/ ... thend-2018
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Postponed is better than cancelled so at least the show will go on at a later date.

The original email wording was more pessimistic:

“Elvis Costello CANCELLED

Wednesday 27th June

Elvis Costello CANCELLED
Dear [Default Title (Result Member)] [Default Last Name (Result Member)]

Unfortunately, due to ill health and on the advice of his doctors, Elvis Costello will be unable to perform at the Cliffs Pavilion tomorrow night (Wednesday 27th June). Following some surgery last month his doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest.

We are endeavouring to secure a replacement date for his concert and will be in touch with all ticket holders early next week with further details (including arrangements for any refunds if applicable). However in the meantime please retain your tickets but DO NOT turn up at the Cliffs Pavilion tomorrow.

Please accept our apologies on behalf of Elvis Costello for any disappointment that this cancellation may cause.

In order to assist us and to avoid us disturbing you with a follow-up telephone call please acknowledge receipt of this notification by clicking the button below.”

I had wondered if Elvis’ “non-threatening surgery” last month had anything to do with the shorter shows and I wonder if he’s two long shows have led to him overdoing it. It’s no coincidence that he was fine, did 2 much longer shows, and gas then fallen ill.

Also the original email doesn’t bode well for the other gigs as the Doctor’s advice is “to take a break from the current tour itinerary and rest”. Notwithstanding the update on the theatre website does not show any reference to that.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Postponed is better than cancelled so at least the show will go on at a later date.

The original email wording was more pessimistic:

“Elvis Costello CANCELLED

Wednesday 27th June

Elvis Costello CANCELLED
Dear [Default Title (Result Member)] [Default Last Name (Result Member)]

Unfortunately, due to ill health and on the advice of his doctors, Elvis Costello will be unable to perform at the Cliffs Pavilion tomorrow night (Wednesday 27th June). Following some surgery last month his doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest.

We are endeavouring to secure a replacement date for his concert and will be in touch with all ticket holders early next week with further details (including arrangements for any refunds if applicable). However in the meantime please retain your tickets but DO NOT turn up at the Cliffs Pavilion tomorrow.

Please accept our apologies on behalf of Elvis Costello for any disappointment that this cancellation may cause.

In order to assist us and to avoid us disturbing you with a follow-up telephone call please acknowledge receipt of this notification by clicking the button below.”

I had wondered if Elvis’ “non-threatening surgery” last month had anything to do with the shorter shows and I wonder if he’s two long shows have led to him overdoing it. It’s no coincidence that he was fine, did 2 much longer shows, and gas then fallen ill.

Also the original email doesn’t bode well for the other gigs as the Doctor’s advice is “to take a break from the current tour itinerary and rest”. Notwithstanding the update on the theatre website does not show any reference to that.
Yep ! Postponed certainly sounds better than cancelled.
Let's hope it's nothing serious and that he's soon on the mend.
Get well soon Elvis !
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Awwww bollocks! I made a lot of plans - hotels, train tickets, etc and spent a lot of money to go and see this and because it's last minute I'll lose all my money. Plus going to the Holland show - train tickets, Airbnb, etc. Big loss. Possibly another year of no EC shows for me. Depressing. Obviously he can't help it though, so I really hope more shows are announced this year to make up for it (and maybe a few cheeky new songs). Not sure it's really worth the 2.5 hour trek to Westcliff now just to stay at the hotel and listen to Elvis on Spotify! :(
verbal gymnastics

Has there been word about the Holland/European shows?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Aw, what a shame... get well soon, Elvis.

(Really hope he's not suffering from World Cup fever.)
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:Aw, what a shame... get well soon, Elvis.

(Really hope he's not suffering from World Cup fever.)
The lengths people will go to to watch the England game! :lol:
Eugene

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters Southend 27th June 2018 - postponed

Post by Eugene »

Elvis Costello Forced To Cancel Shows

Elvis Costello has been forced to cancel his next two performances on his current UK tour for medical reasons. Following some surgery last month his doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest.
He apologises to his fans for the inconvenience and looks forward to rescheduling the dates.
Ticket holders should go to point of purchase for refunds.

The two cancelled dates are as follows:

June
Wed 27th SOUTHEND, Cliffs Pavilion
Thu 28th PLYMOUTH, Pavilions
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Boo hoo! I am tempted to come to Southend anyway cos I've booked train tickets. Just for the sake of a beer by the sea.
verbal gymnastics

Sheeptotheslaughter will no doubt be available to join you.

Wish I could but if I come up I’d be driving and beer would be out of the question.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

By the way, great service from the Cliffs Pavilion re the postponement - prompt email yesterday and a phone call this morning to check that we had received it and weren't travelling. Top class venue.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

I received a phone call from the Cliffs Pavilion this morning and they said they are looking to reschedule the date within the next few weeks. Having checked to see when the Cliffs has dates available in July it could be the 22nd, 29th, 30th or 31st.
verbal gymnastics

Thanks sinatra57. If that is the case then both Elvis' and my schedules are clear on those days!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Awesome news that it gets rescheduled BEFORE he comes back HOME to North America. A++++
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote:Awesome news that it gets rescheduled BEFORE he comes back HOME to North America. A++++
I think you'll find he comes back HOME to Liverpool to see his ma after the show in Mudchester 6th July :D :D :D
Last edited by Top balcony on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I'm just back from Southend. Me and Mrs TB had pendolino'd down to overnight at our son's in Barking and then had an AirB'n'B in Westcliffe for Wednesday night which overlooked the clucking venue!!! Obviously, cost an arm and a leg but it was a bit of a birthday treat and we had a lovely time at the seaside. Not sure I'll be able to find the train fare down the side of the sofa to be able to make the re-arranged date. I am hoping that when the album is out he will tour again visiting Liverpool, plus Glasgow, London etc.

Very concerned to read Sulky's report that EC was looking 'worn and frail' in Newcastle, here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Colin Top Balcony
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Top balcony wrote:I'm just back from Southend. Me and Mrs TB had pendolino'd down to overnight at our son's in Barking and then had an AirB'n'B in Westcliffe for Wednesday night which overlooked the clucking venue!!! Obviously, cost an arm and a leg but it was a bit of a birthday treat and we had a lovely time at the seaside. Not sure I'll be able to find the train fare down the side of the sofa to be able to make the re-arranged date. I am hoping that when the album is out he will tour again visiting Liverpool, plus Glasgow, London etc.

Very concerned to read Sulky's report that EC was looking 'worn and frail' in Newcastle, here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Colin Top Balcony
Hear, hear !
That is, after all, the most important thing!
Get well soon Elvis !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Article in the Southend Echo, 26 June:

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1631542 ... -pavilion/

"Elvis Costello cancels concert at Cliffs Pavilion

Elvis Costello has been forced to postpone his concert at the Cliffs Pavilion scheduled for tomorrow night for medical reasons.

Following some surgery last month his doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest.

He apologises to his fans for the inconvenience and looks forward to rescheduling the date.

The Cliffs Pavilion is currently contacting ticket holders via email and telephone.

Ticket holders should retain their tickets and await further details of the re-scheduled date in the near future."

Still waiting to hear about a rescheduled date.

MOOT
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

sinatra57 wrote:I received a phone call from the Cliffs Pavilion this morning and they said they are looking to reschedule the date within the next few weeks. Having checked to see when the Cliffs has dates available in July it could be the 22nd, 29th, 30th or 31st.
the 29th would be nice as its my birthday
sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

I spoke to the Cliffs Pavilion box office this afternoon to see if there had been any progress regarding a rescheduled date and they said that it was "hoped" that arrangements would be concluded by the end of this week. Plus, they would prefer that new date to be within weeks rather than months. Ticket holders would be contacted by email/telephone as soon as they know the rearranged date.
sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

Email from the Cliffs Pavilion this afternoon.

"Further to our recent correspondence regarding the Elvis Costello show, which was unfortunately cancelled due to ill health, it has not been possible at the present time to secure a rescheduled date.

However, we hope he will be back with us in spring 2019 and will inform you if and when a date is confirmed.

We shall, of course, provide you with a full refund in accordance with your original method of payment. If you paid by cash for your tickets it will, of course, be necessary to call into the Cliffs Pavilion Box Office in order to receive your refund.

We apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience that this cancellation may cause."

What is much more important is that Elvis takes his time to recover his health and well being and returns to the fray undiminished by his travails.
verbal gymnastics

Spring 2019 - there will be a tour :D !