New EC track "I'll Still Love You" on "Johnny Cash: Forever Words"

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

New EC track "I'll Still Love You" on "Johnny Cash: Forever Words"

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news ... 1015127104

Legacy Recordings to Release Johnny Cash: Forever Words, an Album of Cash's Unknown Poems & Other Writings Transformed into New Songs by Contemporary Artists

NEW YORK, Feb. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Johnny Cash: Forever Words--a collaborative album consisting of songs created from Johnny Cash's unknown poetry, lyrics, and letters set to music by an astounding array of contemporary artists--on Friday, April 6.

Johnny Cash: Forever Words will be available on CD, 2LP Vinyl and Digital formats. Pre-order the album now at: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/Foreverwords_AlbumPR

Watch a video trailer for Johnny Cash: Forever Words here: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/Foreverwords_trailerPR

When Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash passed, they left behind what John Carter Cash, their son and Johnny Cash: Forever Words co-producer, describes as a "monstrous amassment" of things, including a treasure trove of undiscovered material that includes Johnny Cash's handwritten letters, poems and documents, penned across the entirety of his life.

Over the past two years, album producers John Carter Cash and Steve Berkowitz invited a stellar cast of musicians to create new music to accompany these newly discovered Cash writings.

Recorded primarily at The Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee, Johnny Cash: Forever Words is also the musical companion to the best-selling "Forever Words: The Unknown Poems," a volume of Cash's unpublished writing edited by Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Paul Muldoon and curated by John Carter Cash and Steve Berkowitz.

Many of the songs on Johnny Cash: Forever Words were directly inspired by material in the book while others are drawn from different sources of Cash's unpublished writings. The tone of the album is established with the opening track "Forever/I Still Miss Someone" featuring Kris Kristofferson reciting the last poem Cash ever wrote alongside guitar accompaniment from Willie Nelson, both lifelong friends of Johnny. Continuing the close-to-home theme, the music then transitions to the deeply personal "To June This Morning," a letter Johnny wrote to his wife, June Carter Cash, now interpreted by real-life couple Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves.

Twenty-one years after Johnny Cash recorded his cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" for his Grammy Award winning album, Unchained, Chris Cornell continues this special relationship with "You Never Knew My Mind," setting some of Cash's own poignant and introspective words to original music on one of Cornell's last solo recordings.

The album also showcases Rosanne Cash, Johnny Cash's eldest daughter, who interpreted her father's "The Walking Wounded," marking just the second time that she has collaborated on a record with her half-brother John Carter Cash.

John Carter Cash also collaborated here with his half-sister Carlene, his mother June's first daughter, on "June's Sundown." Carlene Carter was just twelve years old when her mother June Carter married Johnny Cash, but bonded immediately with her stepfather who she referred to as "Big John."

The Grammy Award winning bluegrass super-group Alison Krauss & Union Station made a rare recording together on "The Captain's Daughter," the group's first new studio recording in six years.

"Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart," said John Carter Cash. "I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted."

When making the Johnny Cash: Forever Words album, producers John Carter Cash and Steve Berkowitz tapped into a spirit of musical collaboration between the musicians and the words of Johnny Cash. The goal of Johnny Cash: Forever Words was not to create a "lost" Johnny Cash album, but rather for musicians to connect with these poems and allow them to flourish in a new musical world.

Johnny Cash: Forever Words
1. Forever/I Still Miss Someone - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. To June This Morning - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. Gold All Over the Ground - Brad Paisley
4. You Never Knew My Mind - Chris Cornell
5. The Captain's Daughter - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Jellico Coal Man - T. Bone Burnett
7. The Walking Wounded - Rosanne Cash
8. Them Double Blues - John Mellencamp
9. Body on Body - Jewel
10. I'll Still Love You - Elvis Costello
11. June's Sundown - Carlene Carter
12. He Bore It All - Daily and Vincent
13. Chinky Pin Hill - I'm With Her
14. Goin', Goin', Gone - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. What Would I Dreamer Do? - The Jayhawks
16. Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson

JohnnyCashForeverWords.com
JohnnyCashOnLine.com
LegacyRecordings.com
Johnny Cash: Forever Words is available to pre-order now.
CD: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/ForeverWords_CDPR
2LP: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/Foreverwords_LPPR
Digital: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/Foreverwords_DigitalPR

For future Johnny Cash and Johnny Cash: Forever Words news:

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/johnnycash/
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/JohnnyCash
NEWSLETTER: http://johnnycashonline.com/newsletter-signup/
And No Coffee Table

Re: New EC track "I'll Still Love You" on "Johnny Cash: Forever Words"

The "Johnny Cash: Forever Words" book appeared in this recent photo (at the very top, above Bob Dylan and El Greco):

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis's version of I Still Love You was played on BBC radio , March 20 2018

an extract can be heard here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8a3 ... a09bc840ba

The show should be on 'play again' after it finishes at 9.30 -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p2d9w

- I'll be at work so maybe someone here can check it out.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis's version of I Still Love You was played on BBC radio , March 20 2018

an extract can be heard here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8a3 ... a09bc840ba

The show should be on 'play again' after it finishes at 9.30 -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p2d9w

- I'll be at work so maybe someone here can check it out.
There was also an interview with John Carter Cash with a lot of Elvis mentions.at about 08.15. The Elvis track is released this week -digital I assume.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Neat little project. EC seems to enjoy putting together these interesting orchestrations. Burt's influence?

The 1978 Less Than Zero clip is a bit random though.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sweet song. Burt B + North. Loving this tune. It goes really well with the late night rain drops in SF right now. Lyrics match the release title. Will be buying this one. PAX on, peace out, and shine on.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Preview on BBC R2 (preferably FM) yesterday sounds great/paid-for d'load today doesn't sound so good!!!!
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Sounds good. I'll be buying for sure.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

charliestumpy wrote:Preview on BBC R2 (preferably FM) yesterday sounds great/paid-for d'load today doesn't sound so good!!!!
Happens to me a lot - hear stuff on the radio, sounds brilliant, download it, listen to the download on the PC in the study, not great.

I've found the solution is to burn it to a CD, stick it on the stereo in the lounge and turn up the volume to neighbour-annoying level. Then it sounds great again. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hawksmoor wrote:I've found the solution is to burn it to a CD, stick it on the stereo in the lounge and turn up the volume to neighbour-annoying level. Then it sounds great again. :D
8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/enterta ... 425198002/

Elvis Costello setting Johnny Cash's poetry to music plus more songs you need to hear right now

You don't need to hear that Drake song. It's been No. 1 for seven weeks. At this point, we can all assume it was God's plan for Drake to have this massive hit with "God's Plan."

This playlist is more about drawing attention to songs that haven't had that kind of impact on the culture. They're the best new releases we've heard so far this month, from local rockers Jared & the Mill to Elvis Costello setting Johnny Cash's words to music and "Weird" Al Yancovic giving Portugal. the Man's big hit a "Weird Al" remix.

Elvis Costello has always shown a true affinity for country music.

He recorded his own early foray into country territory, “Stranger in the House,” as a duet with country legend George Jones in the punk-rock summer of ’78, the year that also gave the world Costello’s ferocious album, “This Year’s Model.”

Three years later, his love of the genre was even more evident when he recorded “Almost Blue” in Nashville, taking on material by Jones, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard and Gram Parson, among others, with producer Billy Sherrill.

It makes sense that Costello would be on the shortlist of non-country artists a person might turn to when putting together an album as intriguing as “Forever Words,” in which an assortment of Cash’s unpublished song lyrics, poems and letters were set to music.

But it’s doubtful anyone expected Costello to take Cash’s unpublished poem and turn it into something that’s closer to an old jazz vocal standard than a country song.

And it’s to Costello’s credit that he asks us to hear Cash’s artistry in such a bold new light on the richly orchestrated, expressively sung “I’ll Still Love You.”

As Costello explains That particular lyric was there on the page, and the next thing, I could hear it in a very unusual way. There was no boom or chick-a in it anywhere.

In a lot of lyrics and poems he found in the folio, it was easy to hear Cash's musical voice as you read the lyrics on the page.

"But not this one," Costello says. "Not to me, anyway. I heard something completely different.”

What he heard was a breathtaking ballad with dramatic strings and a gorgeous sense of melody, sung with a vulnerability that suits the lyrics as Cash poetically reflects on mortality.

“One of these mornings,” Costello begins, “I’m gonna rise up flying / One of these mornings, I’ll sail away / Beyond the blue, I’ve gotta promise there’s a better world ahead / I want you to know that when I go, I’ll still love you.”
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Hawksmoor wrote:
charliestumpy wrote:Preview on BBC R2 (preferably FM) yesterday sounds great/paid-for d'load today doesn't sound so good!!!!
Happens to me a lot - hear stuff on the radio, sounds brilliant, download it, listen to the download on the PC in the study, not great.

I've found the solution is to burn it to a CD, stick it on the stereo in the lounge and turn up the volume to neighbour-annoying level. Then it sounds great again. :D
... I know what you mean/have done just that since my first CD burner (of many!!!) since 1998 - oddity is that this time - VIA SAME REPLAY PCs etc - the Beeb FM recording outperforms paid-for d'load!!!
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 74721.html

(...)
Steve Berkowitz [co-producer on Forever Words] was there when Elvis Costello wrote "I'll Still Love You" sitting at the piano, again looking at those words for the first time. And some people took longer and were very careful about it. Chris Cornell took a few weeks to sit back and come up with "You Never Knew My Mind".
(...)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From that NYT link -
A similarly inventive approach guided Elvis Costello in his jazz-inflected reimagining of the poem, “I’ll Still Love You.” “I looked at the lyric and, before I could stifle the thought, the melody appeared in my head,” Mr. Costello wrote in an email. “I left Steve Berkowitz sitting at our kitchen table and went downstairs to the piano and had most of the tune completed in about 10 minutes.”
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:From that NYT link -
A similarly inventive approach guided Elvis Costello in his jazz-inflected reimagining of the poem, “I’ll Still Love You.” “I looked at the lyric and, before I could stifle the thought, the melody appeared in my head,” Mr. Costello wrote in an email. “I left Steve Berkowitz sitting at our kitchen table and went downstairs to the piano and had most of the tune completed in about 10 minutes.”
That reminds me of the story Questlove told of being just blown away by Elvis' ability to write songs seemingly effortlessly. I think it was "Puppet" which he wrote in minutes and Quest and Steve Mandel were in awe.
And No Coffee Table

20180407_172632.jpg
20180407_172632.jpg (116.43 KiB) Viewed 36724 times
The musicians on this track are just about identical to "You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way" (the only difference is Steve Nieve and Davey Faragher are on "You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way" but not "I'll Still Love You"), so my guess is they were recorded at the same time.

Thanks to John Foyle for the pic.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have listened to this numerous times on Spotify and I cannot warm to his vocal effort on the song. When he does these types of ballads he too often strains for effect, weakening his voice, as happens with regularity in this song. Not in his range; not a memorable effort.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://elviscostello.com/#!/news/298446

Where The Secrets Are Kept

The arrival of the “Purse” E.P. and the long-delayed delivery of the 45 RPM, 7” vinyl edition of “Look Now” concludes the release of material from these sessions.

(…)

“If You Love Me” was the second of two texts from the “Forever Words” collection of Johnny Cash poems and lyrics that I set to music. Knowing the range of musical styles of the artists who were to contribute to the Columbia Records collection of those Cash words, I elected to record a ballad unlike any other contribution, as the text put me in mind of the philosophical verses of Willard Robison - writer of “I Guess I’ll Go Back Home Next Summer” and “Cottage For Sale”. Consequently, I put aside my guitar to arrange a small chamber orchestra around my own piano, mandolin and Pete Thomas’ drums for the poem, “I’ll Still Love You”.

However, when we were in the final days of recording on Sunset Boulevard, I suggested that we do one live-on-the-floor performance (all of “Look Now” until then had demanded a more considered approach to each instrumental part in order to allow for orchestration and vocal arrangements without clutter) but The Imposters remain a band for whom you only have to count off a good song to get a great spontaneous performance.

I remembered my other Johnny Cash setting, “If You Love Me” and we cut the song in a single take, adding only Steve Nieve’s Hammond organ and the electric guitar and background vocal parts which I dubbed in a small studio on Sullivan Street, NYC.

(...)
jardine

Post by jardine »

"I remembered my other Johnny Cash setting, 'If You Love Me' and we cut the song in a single take, adding only Steve Nieve’s Hammond organ and the electric guitar and background vocal parts which I dubbed in a small studio on Sullivan Street, NYC. "

listening to this again this morning from Purse. First, the fact that it is a "just follow me" first take is amazing. Second, echoes of Blood and Chocolate? I think? Maybe "next time round"-ish?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://news.yahoo.com/johnny-cash-fore ... 32927.html

Johnny Cash’s ‘Forever Words’ Compilation Receives Deluxe Edition

Legacy Records has announced an expanded edition of Forever Words, the 2018 collaborative album that found artists like Chris Cornell and Elvis Costello setting poems and lyrics of Johnny Cash to music for the first time.

The deluxe version of Forever Words will be released to streaming services in four “waves,” pairing a total of 18 new songs with the album’s original 16 tracks. The first wave arrives today (Friday, October 23rd) with the songs “Big Hearted Girl” by Hard Working Americans and “I’m Comin’ Honey” by Shawn Camp, alongside the previously released “Brand New Pair of Shoes” by Ana Cristina Cash and “If You Love Me” by Elvis Costello & the Imposters, all featuring words by Johnny Cash.

Wave 2 will be released December 11th, featuring five new performances: “I’ve Been Around” by Marty Stuart, “Who’s Gonna Grease My Skillet?” by John Popper, “California Poem” by Jamey Johnson featuring Jerry Douglas and Sam Bush, “Little Patch of Grass” by Brandon Robert Young and Clare Bowen, and “The Dogs Are in the Woods” by John McEuen.

The third wave of releases comes February 5th, 2021, and includes “Does Anybody Out There Love Me?” by Jewel, “Autumn” by the Watkins Family Hour, “Let It Be Tonight” by Ira Dean, and “Pretty Pictures in My Mind” by the Lumineers.

The final wave of songs will be released on April 2nd, 2021, with “Outta Site Tonite” by Ronnie Dunn and the Brad Paisley Band, “My Song” by Runaway June, “Dark and Bloody Ground” by Ruston Kelly, “The Third Degree” by Aaron Lewis, and “Tecemseh” by Bill Miller.

The 16-song original version of Johnny Cash – Forever Words was released in April 2018 and includes performances by Ruston Kelly & Kacey Musgraves, Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss & Union Station, and Kris Kristofferson & Willie Nelson. All of the album’s tracks were produced by John Carter Cash, with the majority recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

“My father touched the world of music in ways still evolving. The original body of work in Forever Words held some of Dad’s best unreleased writings, put to music by some of the most prolific artists alive today,” John Carter Cash says. “But there was more: poetry and lyrics that no one had ever seen, whose depth demanded the continuance of the project. And, with true artists who found melody and beauty in these unseen words, the recordings continued. Looking back now, I feel Dad would be proud to know his voice and spirit carry on here, in these Forever Words.”

Johnny Cash: Forever Words – Original Album Tracklist
1. Forever/I Still Miss Someone – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. To June This Morning – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. Gold All Over the Ground – Brad Paisley
4. You Never Knew My Mind – Chris Cornell
5. The Captain’s Daughter – Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Jellico Coal Man – T. Bone Burnett
7. The Walking Wounded – Rosanne Cash
8. Them Double Blues – John Mellencamp
9. Body on Body – Jewel
10. I’ll Still Love You – Elvis Costello
11. June’s Sundown – Carlene Carter
12. He Bore It All – Dailey & Vincent
13. Chinky Pin Hill – I’m With Her
14. Goin’, Goin’, Gone – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. What Would I Dreamer Do? – The Jayhawks
16. Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson

Johnny Cash – Forever Words (Expanded Edition) New Tracks

October 23, 2020
Big Hearted Girl – Hard Working Americans
I’m Comin’ Honey – Shawn Camp
Brand New Pair of Shoes – Ana Cristina Cash
If You Love Me – Elvis Costello & The Imposters

December 11, 2020
I’ve Been Around – Marty Stuart
Who’s Gonna Grease My Skillet? – John Popper
California Poem – Jamey Johnson (Featuring Jerry Douglas and Sam Bush)
Little Patch of Grass – Brandon Robert Young and Clare Bowen
The Dogs Are In The Woods – John McEuen

February 5, 2021
Does Anybody Out There Love Me? – Jewel
Autumn – The Watkins Family Hour
Let it be Tonight – Ira Dean
Pretty Pictures in My Mind – The Lumineers

April 2, 2021
Outta Site Tonite – Ronnie Dunn and The Brad Paisley Band
My Song – Runaway June
Dark and Bloody Ground – Ruston Kelly
The Third Degree – Aaron Lewis
Tecemseh – Bill Miller
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Is this going to be the same version that is on the "Purse " ep?