Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle
Posts: 14526
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Dublin , Ireland

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby johnfoyle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/leisure/mus ... he_palace/


Elvis Costello, right, is an icon of British pub-rock, scoring hits in the 70s and 80s with such tunes as Oliver’s Army, I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down, Good Year for the Roses and Radio, Radio.

He also had a hit with a cover of Herbert Kretzmer and Charles Aznavour’s song She from the soundtrack to the film Notting Hill.

He said: “It’s great to find ourselves in English summertime as part of the season of concerts alongside our old acquaintance, Nile Rodgers.”

JONPD
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby JONPD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I'll be on my way to this one tomorrow

User avatar
And No Coffee Table
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby And No Coffee Table » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Setlist from Nick:

1. Wonder Woman
2. Girls Talk
3. Clubland
4. Radio Radio
5. Tears Before Bedtime (slow version)
6. Come The Meantimes
7. Green Shirt
8. Watching The Detectives
9. You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way
10. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
11. Every Day I Write The Book
12. Pump It Up
---
13. Alison (with Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee)
14. Accidents Will Happen (EC + SN)
15. Little Palaces (EC + SN)
16. She (EC + SN)
17. Oliver's Army (EC + SN)
18. Shipbuilding (with Imposters)
19. Waiting For The End Of The World (with Imposters + KK and BL)
20. Beyond Belief
21. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

Start time 21:10 Finished 22:45

johnfoyle
Posts: 14526
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Dublin , Ireland

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby johnfoyle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:29 am

Great to see everyone. Most satisfying show. I hope to get to another one in the tour, once I figure out work (new job) & holiday things. Right now I'm dashing to get to a train to the airport- I'll comment more later.

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Goon Squad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 am

johnfoyle wrote:Great to see everyone. Most satisfying show. I hope to get to another one in the tour, once I figure out work (new job) & holiday things. Right now I'm dashing to get to a train to the airport- I'll comment more later.


Agreed ! Good to see the gang and some new faces. Brilliant all round gig. Three great sets.
Been at work since 7a.m. after a 5 hour round trip and only 4 hours sleep, but well worth it ! Will post more later !

sweetest punch
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby sweetest punch » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 am

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

johnfoyle
Posts: 14526
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Location: Dublin , Ireland

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby johnfoyle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am

Back home and trying to gather thoughts on last nights show, and then this appears on Facebook and I really couldn't better it.


Keith Mcintyre

Blenheim Palace - how the hell did that happen?

I have never been to a less rock’n’roll venue than yesterday. It is the very epitome of politeness, privilege and pastoral English living. It really didn’t bode well for a down and dirty rock show.

All my fears seemed to be coming true during Nick Lowe’s set. I love Nick with a passion, but the start of his set was greeted by polite indifference as the polite clientele politely found their seats. You could even hear the stage gantry creaking in the wind during his set. To his eternal credit he won everyone over in the end with his understated magnificence. I want to adopt Nick as my dad (sorry real dad)

Then something magical happened - and I blame Mike Scott & the Waterboys. I confess that I’ve never been a huge fan. I have always been deeply suspicious of their quasi-mystical, spiritual, knit your own lentils, “Big Music” mumbo jumbo. Well, more fool me - They were magnificent. Pure unadulterated, raw, passionate rock’n’roll. Their energy, wit and songs got the crowd absolutely buzzing on a freezing cold night. I may have even danced...

I have no idea whether Elvis saw their set, I would love to think he did, and then said “f**k me, we better bring our A-game”, because that is exactly what he and the Imposters then did. As a veteran of 40 years of EC gigs, I had almost given up on expecting the visceral, full throttle attack that EC and his chosen band can deliver. Not anymore, the bar has now been set. Any vestiges of politeness went out of the window as the audience were on their feet from the start. The set list was a relentless run of hits and old favourites. I know some folk will be disappointed at the lack of new stuff, but this was a show all about that primal punch to the gut of old fashioned rock. Even the quiet stuff rocked - and we got Little Palaces, delivered with a sneer and a swagger that epitomised the whole show. The Imposters outsmoked the Attractions for my money, and what a difference Kitten and Brianna made, they added vim and vigour, fun and dancing as well as some mighty fine vocals.

What a great, great night. Blenheim Palace, you rocked like a sweaty old dive - and that’s a great thing

P.S. This may be heresy on an EC forum, but surely Peace Love & Understanding must be the greatest pop/rock song ever written

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Goon Squad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:04 pm

johnfoyle wrote:Back home and trying to gather thoughts on last nights show, and then this appears on Facebook and I really couldn't better it.


Keith Mcintyre

Blenheim Palace - how the hell did that happen?

I have never been to a less rock’n’roll venue than yesterday. It is the very epitome of politeness, privilege and pastoral English living. It really didn’t bode well for a down and dirty rock show.

All my fears seemed to be coming true during Nick Lowe’s set. I love Nick with a passion, but the start of his set was greeted by polite indifference as the polite clientele politely found their seats. You could even hear the stage gantry creaking in the wind during his set. To his eternal credit he won everyone over in the end with his understated magnificence. I want to adopt Nick as my dad (sorry real dad)

Then something magical happened - and I blame Mike Scott & the Waterboys. I confess that I’ve never been a huge fan. I have always been deeply suspicious of their quasi-mystical, spiritual, knit your own lentils, “Big Music” mumbo jumbo. Well, more fool me - They were magnificent. Pure unadulterated, raw, passionate rock’n’roll. Their energy, wit and songs got the crowd absolutely buzzing on a freezing cold night. I may have even danced...

I have no idea whether Elvis saw their set, I would love to think he did, and then said “f**k me, we better bring our A-game”, because that is exactly what he and the Imposters then did. As a veteran of 40 years of EC gigs, I had almost given up on expecting the visceral, full throttle attack that EC and his chosen band can deliver. Not anymore, the bar has now been set. Any vestiges of politeness went out of the window as the audience were on their feet from the start. The set list was a relentless run of hits and old favourites. I know some folk will be disappointed at the lack of new stuff, but this was a show all about that primal punch to the gut of old fashioned rock. Even the quiet stuff rocked - and we got Little Palaces, delivered with a sneer and a swagger that epitomised the whole show. The Imposters outsmoked the Attractions for my money, and what a difference Kitten and Brianna made, they added vim and vigour, fun and dancing as well as some mighty fine vocals.

What a great, great night. Blenheim Palace, you rocked like a sweaty old dive - and that’s a great thing

P.S. This may be heresy on an EC forum, but surely Peace Love & Understanding must be the greatest pop/rock song ever written


Agree 100% ! 8)

sweetest punch
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby sweetest punch » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

User avatar
Fishfinger king
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:41 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Fishfinger king » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Happy to agree with the assessment of Nick Lowe and the headline artiste but I really have to be a dissenting voice about the Waterboys. I liked their organist and the violinist was fine but the songs were uniformly poor. Predictable music and absolutely dreadfully prosaic lyrics. Each to their own but I just can't see what provoked the previous comments - sorry.
To my mind Elvis and co played well in spite of the poor support act.
Shame there weren't any Nick/Elvis duets.
And thankfully the sound was a lot better than in Nottingham.
Is that so surprising nowadays?

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Goon Squad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am

Fishfinger king wrote:Happy to agree with the assessment of Nick Lowe and the headline artiste but I really have to be a dissenting voice about the Waterboys. I liked their organist and the violinist was fine but the songs were uniformly poor. Predictable music and absolutely dreadfully prosaic lyrics. Each to their own but I just can't see what provoked the previous comments - sorry.
To my mind Elvis and co played well in spite of the poor support act.
Shame there weren't any Nick/Elvis duets.
And thankfully the sound was a lot better than in Nottingham.


Yeah, I must say FfK I was amazed that Nick didn't come back on even if it had only been to join in with PLU. I thought Nick was the consummate "old pro" with his set. Dry sense of humour, no frills just got on with it and certainly banged out some good songs.
I'm amazed you didn't like The Waterboys because I must have spoken to about a dozen people in our gang during the interval and everyone loved them. I thought they did a great set, a real performance, seemed to have great fun, and really got the crowd involved. They were a proper good old fashioned rock'n'roll band and I would even say they nearly stole the show. Mind you , as you said, each to their own, and that is the great thing that makes the world go round. We're all different !
As for Elvis, I thought it was a really good set. I wasn't sure to start with about the backing girls, but it really grew on me as the gig went on, culminating in Alison which was quite mesmerising. He did some different versions of some songs, some slower ones, and some obviously re-arranged around the girls, but all in all it really worked. Yes, his voice was croaking a bit towards the end but we're used to that, and he isn't getting any younger..............like all of us !
To sum up, it was great to catch up with loads of the gang, Moot and John to name but two,I'm so pleased I pushed out the boat and got a front row seat as it was a great gig and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I also managed to help one of our gang join me in the front row as there was a spare next to me so he upgraded from his seat back in the depths, and it was nice to have a chat with a like minded person. Sorry I forgot your poster name but I'm sure you'll respond !
Anyway, I'm now looking forward to Southend with eager anticipation and hope to see more of the gang there !
EC.jpg
EC.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 2753 times



...........now if only I was clever enough to rotate the photo..............but I'm not ..........sorry ! :roll:

Happiness_Stan1968
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Happiness_Stan1968 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm

At last I can get back into this forum, Having been locked out for the last 2 weeks! Thank you Goon Squad for sorting out my upgrade to front row dead centre for this terrific show. I am eternally grateful. Enjoy Southend! I'm guessing you might get a longer set but no support. Would have loved a longer set but was so glad to see Nick and the Waterboys and Elvis in a (sort of) triple bill.

Happiness_Stan1968
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Happiness_Stan1968 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:41 pm

[img]EC Blen.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
EC Blen.jpg
EC Blen.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 2642 times

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Goon Squad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 am

Happiness_Stan1968 wrote:At last I can get back into this forum, Having been locked out for the last 2 weeks! Thank you Goon Squad for sorting out my upgrade to front row dead centre for this terrific show. I am eternally grateful. Enjoy Southend! I'm guessing you might get a longer set but no support. Would have loved a longer set but was so glad to see Nick and the Waterboys and Elvis in a (sort of) triple bill.


You're more than welcome mate! Hope to see you at another gig or meet-up very soon ! 8)

User avatar
Man out of Time
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Man out of Time » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:52 am

The advance party for Donald Trump's visit to Blenheim Palace is shown here with various members of the Forum, ahead of the Nocturne Live show...

059 crop and comp.jpg
2018-06-16 Blenheim
059 crop and comp.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 2474 times


I'm the one in the Red Shoes.

MOOT

sulky lad
Posts: 1676
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Out of the kitchen,she's gone with the wind

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby sulky lad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm

And not one of you looking out of place in front of one of the great stately homes of England !! :wink:

User avatar
Goon Squad
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am
Location: ......I'm here in the zoo.

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Goon Squad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:10 am

sulky lad wrote:And not one of you looking out of place in front of one of the great stately homes of England !! :wink:


8)

User avatar
Man out of Time
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Nocturne Live - Oxfordshire (UK), June 16, 2018

Postby Man out of Time » Fri May 10, 2019 11:14 am

Just came across this review dated 17 June 2018 by "Retropath2" at theafterword.co.uk.

According to their FAQs "The Afterword is the new home of The Word magazine readers’ community (aka The Word Massive or The Word Blog). The Word sadly folded in July 2012. However we are keeping the spirit of the magazine and the old online community alive."

"A Night Out with Elvis Costello again

Venue: Blenheim Palace
Date: 16/06/2018

O, I just don’t know where to begin…… The positives? Well it didn’t rain and the support acts were great. Pete Thomas gets better and better and I quite took to Davey Faragher, who winced beautifully at every duff note.

To the beginning. With it threatening to rain all day, and the forecasters expecting it, there were only occasional spatters on the windscreen as I drove down, a surprisingly simple park and wander into the grounds. Not too packed and the arena made good use of the available architecture, with the outside lawn, if you will, as it spread down to the lake, pleasantly thronging with geese and humans in seemingly equal numbers. Food, beer and toilets a semi-circle of convenience, all looked promising.

Nick Lowe, on prompt at 6, clearly knew the demographic, opening with ‘People Change’, the first of several acerbic tales of middle aged disappointment. Dapper in pressed white shirt and slacks, his quiff a thing of wonder to behold, white as his shirt. A fabulous version of the Dionne/BeeGees ‘Heartbreaker’ then led into a selection of old Rockpilers, you know, ‘Cruel to be Kind’, ‘Heart’, all just sung with precision to his simple acoustic guitar. Lovely stuff, even throwing in ‘Peace, Love and Understanding’, saying he hoped it might not be it’s last airing that day. A chugging ‘I Knew the Bride’ and he was off.No ‘Breaking Glass’ as not allowed in the arena.

45 minutes and the longest queues ever, besignalling the PSA generation present. More alarmingly, they had already run out of the only decent ale, Laganitas budget IPA, 5.5%, meaning a dry day now onward for me.

“We’re the Waterboys and we’re a rock and roll band”, shouted Mike Scott and he was true to his word. Quite the loudest version of his band I have seen, the sound was crunchingly precise, kicking off with ‘Medicine Bow’ and ‘All the Things She Gave Me’. Indeed the set predominated big music over folky fare, Steve Wickham now more comfortable flailing his fiddle in fusion-lite solos than I have seen before. And enjoying it. As, clearly, was Brother Paul, a grinning troll on epic hammond, all hair and teeth. I hadn’t expected girly singers, normally less than impressed by the need, but these two were good. You know the ones that Dave Gilmour touts for his shows? That good. New bassist, (a wandering) Aenghus, meant that, sadly, David Hood is back home in Muscle Shoals, a solid counter to the the ever more impressive now quite longterm drummer. A couple of the new songs meant we got a handle on Scott’s slightly chopey lyrical direction, he looking a bit too slack jawed and drool these days to carry it quite off, but they sounded great musically, his guitar kerranging away with almost Neil Young intensity. After a brief choral singalong to Shithole, it was a Scott on piano led ‘Whole of the Moon’. The audience went apeshit, me apart, it being a song I loathe and always have. Thankfully he remembered this and, rather the finishing then, gave an epic ‘Fisherman’s Blues’ to close. “Give Costello my regards” his parting shot. As in follow that.

Another 45 minute loo break and the stage lights came on for the first time, as the band lurched on, Nieve in an odd red (army?) peaked hat, Costello in obligatory pinstripe and stubble, looking no where near as buffed as in the promo pictures. And two more girly singers. WTF? Stage right on a platform, all shimmer, satin and sway, it soon became apparent as to why. Sorry, guys, it’s official. He can’t sing. Flatter than Paul Whitehouse’s fishmonger, he kicked off seemingly listening to a different version of nearly every song played. The balance was slightly off as well, meaning keyboards were largely muted, revealing only the more annoying plinky plinky motifs that are so prevalent. Opener was ‘Wonder Woman’ from his Toussaint collaboration, a bit of a google, needing his voice in better nick, it was largely a greatest hits nostalgia fest, albeit often the less obvious songs, a fair few from the ’10 Hail Marys’ early collection. ‘Radio Radio’ was the first to really wake up the heavily partisan audience. It was not only Faragher wincing as Costello hit everything but the notes required. Beginning the weigh up the money spent and the long drive home, as they launched into an OK ‘Detectives’ I joined a slow trickle and left. What I could hear of ‘Chelsea’ and Pump It Up’ could not draw me back.
Setlist tell me what I missed. A solo ‘Alison’ with the girls could have been good but I suspect would have curdled my ears. I would like to have heard ‘Little Palaces’. And ‘Shipbuilding’. I would not like to have heard ‘She’.

Home by midnight. No regrets.

The audience:

Oblivious, by and large. A mix of hardcore Costello fanbase message-boarders in old Ts and porkpie hats, with garden centre weekend couples remembering better days. As said, a trickle of frowning saddos like me, rushing back to play old recordings and relive old memories.

It made me think..


I wish I wasn’t so darn picky. I love Costello and, yes, identify with and admire his voice as it was, or as the studio delivers. A novice compared to @steveT and @dogfacedboy , I have only seen him six or seven times. Only twice was he brilliant, Glasto early 90s and at Symphony Hall with Steve Nieve as a duo. Twice he was awful, last year as it happens, and way back when, at the old Bingley Hall in Brum. I ain’t going to risk it anymore."


There are 81 comments on the review itself, which you can read for yourselves if you follow the link above.

"A mix of hardcore Costello fanbase message-boarders in old Ts and porkpie hats," Who can he mean?

MOOT


Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests