Elvis and The Imposters, Royal Park Live (Holland), July 5, 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Imposters, Royal Park Live (Holland), July 5, 2018

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FrankieJ

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Royal Park Live (Holland), July 5, 2018

Post by FrankieJ »

My girlfriend lives in Holland at the moment and I was researching this recently but decided it probably wouldn't be a good idea (plus she isn't exactly a fan like me). So I spent the week thoroughly depressed about the UK dates so far just being outdoorsy festival style gigs. Not being able to drive and having a disability, there are far too many things to stop me from attending those, so I was a little down about that...

Then she asks me today "Are you free 5th July?" and said she booked me a birthday surprise. Looking on the forum today and noticing the Dutch gig date I suddenly realised... I WILL GET TO SEE EC! So excited! Will be nice to go with someone else for a change. VERY HAPPY! :D :D :D

Anyone been to Royal Park Live before? All the info on their website doesn't translate to English.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I daresay 'De Dijk' is another act , not a description. :D :D

https://oogopblaricum.blog/2018/05/24/in-de-agenda-124/

supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

i cannot make my 40th anniversary return to the city hall in newcastle but hope to make this one, anyone know how easy it is to get there from Amsterdam via public transport?
Ron

Post by Ron »

De Dijk are one of the biggest R&B bands in Holland with a repertoire in Dutch. We know Costello played his part in the comeback of the late Solomon Burke. A little known fact perhaps is the collaboration of Burke with De Dijk on their album 'Hold on tight' from 2010. They even planned a gig together in Amsterdam on October 12, 2010, but Burke unfortunately died shortly after his arrival at Amsterdam Airport on October 10.

Album review: 'Hold on tight' by De Dijk feat Solomon Burke. http://www.allmusic.com/album/hold-on-t ... 0002071217

The journey from Amsterdam, Central Station to Paleis Soestdijk in Baarn will take you 45 minutes by train and bus.
Details can be found here: https://9292.nl/

Enjoy the show!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... a6f74.html

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Wonder Woman
03. Radio Radio
04. Tears Before Bedtime
05. Girls Talk
06. (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
07. Green Shirt
08. Watching the Detectives
09. You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way
10. The Long Honeymoon
11. New Amsterdam / You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
12. Everyday I Write the Book

Encore:
13. Alison
14. I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
15. Shot With His Own Gun
16. Accidents Will Happen
17. She
18. Oliver's Army
19. Waiting for the End of the World
20. Beyond Belief
21. I Want You
22. (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
23. Pump It Up
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Brief review in Dutch by Iñaki Oñorbe Genovesi in De Volkskrant published on 6 July 2018:

"NIEUWS ELVIS COSTELLO

Elvis Costello staakt tournee wegens ziekte

Donderdagavond trad zanger Elvis Costello nog met zijn vaste begeleidingsband The Imposters op in de tuinen van Paleis Soestdijk. Zijn stem was vermoeid, zodat hij hoge tonen vaak niet haalde of ze probeerde te omzeilen. Fans van de 63-jarige Britse zanger leek het weinig te deren en genoten van hits als Oliver's Army, She en Good Year for the Roses. Vrijdag heeft Costello bekend gemaakt dat het optreden bij het paleis in Baarn voorlopig zijn laatste is geweest. Hij is niet in staat de rest van zijn Europese tournee af te maken wegens ziekte.

Costello onthulde vrijdag een succesvolle operatie wegens kanker te hebben ondergaan, maar dat zijn herstel minder spoedig verloopt dan gehoopt. In een verklaring stelt Costello, wiens echte naam Declan Patrick MacManus is, dat onlangs bij hem een minuscule tumor is verwijderd. Volgens de zanger heeft hij geluk gehad en raadde zijn arts hem aan in de Lotto te gaan spelen.

‘Hij had zelden zo’n kleine, maar zeer agressieve en kwaadaardige tumor gezien die door een eenmalige operatie kon worden verwijderd’, aldus Costello. De zanger liet weten dat hij aanvankelijk verheugd was dat zijn Europese tournee kon doorgaan, maar dat hij zich had verkeken op de inspanningen van de optredens. Zijn arts heeft hem geadviseerd rust te nemen.
Photo credit: Erica Oudgenoeg
Photo credit: Erica Oudgenoeg
2018-07-05 Utrecht.jpg (202.28 KiB) Viewed 10966 times
Er waren nog zes concerten gepland: in Manchester, Pula (Kroatië), Graz en Wenen (Oostenrijk), Tysnes (Noorwegen) en Rättvik (Zweden). Costello betreurt dat hij zijn fans daar moet teleurstellen, maar stelt ook dat hij zijn gezondheid niet in gevaar kan brengen. 'De geest wil wel, maar ik moet accepteren dat mijn herstel langer zal duren dan ik had gehoopt’, aldus de zanger.

Costello maakte tijdens zijn succesvolle carrière van ruim veertig jaar meer dan 32 studio-albums. In oktober hoopt de Brit een nieuw album uit te brengen. In november en december staat een tournee door de Verenigde Staten en Canada op de agenda."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"NEWS ELVIS COSTELLO

Elvis Costello ceases tour due to illness

Thursday evening vocalist Elvis Costello performed with his permanent accompaniment The Imposters in the gardens of Soestdijk Palace. His voice was tired, so he often did not get high tones or tried to bypass them. Fans of the 63-year-old British singer seemed to care less and enjoyed hits like Oliver's Army, She and Good Year for the Roses. Friday Costello announced that the performance at the palace in Baarn has been his last for the time being. He is unable to finish the rest of his European tour due to illness.

Costello revealed on Friday that he had undergone a successful surgery for cancer, but that his recovery is less rapid than hoped. In a statement, Costello, whose real name is Declan Patrick MacManus, states that a minuscule tumor has recently been removed. According to the singer he was lucky and advised his doctor to play in the Lotto.

'He had rarely seen such a small but very aggressive and malignant tumor that could be removed by a one-off operation', says Costello. The singer said that he was initially delighted that his European tour could continue, but that he had failed to appreciate the efforts of the performances. His doctor advised him to take a rest.

Six concerts were planned: in Manchester, Pula (Croatia), Graz and Vienna (Austria), Tysnes (Norway) and Rättvik (Sweden). Costello regrets that he must disappoint his fans there, but also states that he can not put his health at risk. "The spirit wants to, but I have to accept that my recovery will take longer than I had hoped," said the singer.

Costello made more than 32 studio albums during his successful career of more than forty years. In October the Brit hopes to release a new album. A tour through the United States and Canada is on the agenda in November and December. "

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Blogger Ronaldsays reviews the show at his blog here: http://www.ronaldsays.com/2018/07/on-st ... royal.html

"On Stage: Elvis Costello + De Dijk @ Royal Park Live

In the middle of the Netherlands there's a big palace Paleis Soestdijk that used to belong to the royal family. It was sold a few years ago and is now put to better use since they are throwing concerts in the summer on the big lawn of the palace. This year one of those nights had De Dijk and Elvis Costello lined up and I don't need a lot more reasons to visit the place.

We arrive at the palace about half an hour before De Dijk will play their set and explore the grounds a bit. The park in front of the palace has been transformed in a small festival site with some food stands and bars, including the big queues that seem to be normal these days. A quick burger and a beer is all we need to get ready for one of our favourite Dutch bands.

De Dijk

Of course after seeing them so many times De Dijk doesn't have a lot of surprises any more. But I usually see them play clubs where their most dedicated fans are visiting. Today they are working a crowd that aren't hard core fans but visitors that are coming for a fun night out or are here to see the main act Elvis Costello. It's nice to see though how the band can even get a crowd like this excited for their Dutch soul, blues and rock music. The band is having fun playing their biggest hits for an hour in the sun. These songs are hard to resist and songs that are over thirty years old now are still not outdated and sound wonderful. Great start of this royal night out I'd say.

Elvis Costello and The Imposters

I've always wanted to see Elvis Costello play, since I think he's a wonderful singer and musician. On stage he's an entertaining story teller that is linking short stories to the songs or is simply joking around a bit. The first part of the show has a couple of his hit songs although he's holding back a bit. His band is amazing and Costello's voice sounds wonderful. He's showcasing this when halfway he performs songs like 'Alison' and 'She' solo and lets his voice shine in slow melancholic songs.

At this point the show goes from entertaining to superb where Costello is totally in his element. When the band returns the show shifts into overdrive with his greatest hits like ''Pump It Up' and 'I Want You'. It's even stopping the part of the crowd that has been chatting the whole night, hardly paying attention what is happening on stage. After almost two hours the band closes the night with '(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding'. Costello played a strong show tonight with a set that was building up nicely. It's even more impressive when we hear later that he had to cancel the rest of his tour because his recovery from surgery a few months earlier is harder than he thought and he needs more rest.

It's been a fun night with beautiful music and weather although I didn't like the large part of the crowd that only came here to drink and chat with their friends and apparently didn't care too much about the music. I suggest they find a park that is free and bring some drinks instead of spending a lot of money on a concert night and annoy everyone with their boring stories."

A fine gallery of Ronald's photos is here.

MOOT