40 Years Ago

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

40 Years Ago

Postby sulky lad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 pm

I think I might as well start this topic as I will be encouraging all well known posters on this site to keep on uploading their live recordings from this period.
Just a quick query as we approach October 21st. The recording that I'm aware of at this time is from Salford University as advertised in both the NME and MM of this period as part of the Live Stiffs Live package tour. However, the wiki states that a concert took place in the Apollo Theatre, Manchester on this night; they refer to a Manchester Music Archive which has a picture of part of a ticket but which definitely looks like it might be from Apollo Theatr "e, Manchester"
So which is true - the original cassette recording that was the source for my good friend was just a hand written paper cover. Did anyone attend the Manchester show, was Salford scrapped for a larger venue or did it take place on the 20th or 23rd between other shows ?!
Any revelations greatly appreciated !

Azmuda

Re: 40 Years Ago

Postby Azmuda » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 am

sulky lad wrote:I think I might as well start this topic as I will be encouraging all well known posters on this site to keep on uploading their live recordings from this period.
Just a quick query as we approach October 21st. The recording that I'm aware of at this time is from Salford University as advertised in both the NME and MM of this period as part of the Live Stiffs Live package tour. However, the wiki states that a concert took place in the Apollo Theatre, Manchester on this night; they refer to a Manchester Music Archive which has a picture of part of a ticket but which definitely looks like it might be from Apollo Theatr "e, Manchester"
So which is true - the original cassette recording that was the source for my good friend was just a hand written paper cover. Did anyone attend the Manchester show, was Salford scrapped for a larger venue or did it take place on the 20th or 23rd between other shows ?!
Any revelations greatly appreciated !

Some long-forgotten research is here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Talk:Concert_1977-10-21_Manchester

krm

Postby krm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am

Bruce Thomas old itenary that he published some months ago could be added here as a reference too. But I am sure you have that one on top of your desk already. This might or might not help out.
LiveStiffsTour.jpg
LiveStiffsTour.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 653 times

http://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?p=1961

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks, Kjell, I have it somewhere but I couldn't lay hands on it at the time,.
thanks also for Mojo form guiding me in the right direction !!

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Theresa Kereakes permits me to share her photo of Elvis on stage in Los Angeles on November 19 1977. 'Elvis is holding a broken glass. He broke his glass of water to shake it at a heckler', she comments. 'That photo is included in my exhibit at @gethiprecords Store’s Black Friday shindig.'

http://www.unguardedmoments.info/

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... os_Angeles

emotional_fascism076

Postby emotional_fascism076 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks for sharing that photo. Is there anything on what happened at this show out there?

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks for sharing that photo. Is there anything on what happened at this show out there.

This is how EC remembers it in UM&DI:

"...some boorish, drunken English bloke forced himself into the center of the crowd, his hands roaming uninvited over a girl who was pressed up against the front of the stage. Ever the gallant, I smashed a bottle that someone had conveniently left between my vocal monitors and made some kind of offer with the jagged end that I never really saw myself following up on. Mercifully, the lout was hustled out of the premises before anybody's blood was spilled."

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 0445472771

Feb. '77 ? More likely Nov. 77. Still , it's great to see Elvis's Twitter account getting in on this.

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:08 am

I wonder if he's listening to any of the old recordings that are doing the rounds in celebration ? :shock:

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”