johnfoyle

Elvis playing Vegas, Feb/March 2018 - cancelled

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... e-theater/

Elvis Costello is Wynn’s man at Encore Theater

By John Katsilometes
Las Vegas Review-Journal
October 15, 2017 - 7:23 pm

Chalk it up to destiny: Elvis is playing an extended engagement on the Strip.

Elvis Costello, king of the new-wave phenomenon in the late 1970s and an artist who spans generations, is set for a half-dozen shows at Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas.

Dubbed “Not Now/Not Now,” the production’s dates are Feb. 28, March 2-3, 7, 9 and 10. Tickets range from $59.50 to $225 and are on sale at 10 a.m. Friday at Wynn Las Vegas box office or on the Wynn website.

The theater’s comparative intimacy at 1,800 seats, and exclusivity — the six shows are Costello’s only booked dates for all of 2018 — should boost demand from Costello’s worldwide following. Backed by The Imposters, Costello will pluck songs over his entire 40-year career, so expect a sampling from the albums, including those noted in the hotel’s upcoming official announcement: “Blood & Chocolate” and “My Aim is True.”
Individual songs promised include “I Want You” and “Alison,” along with more recent selections. Unique to “Now/Not Now” is a new song will be swapped into the set list each night. Thus, no two shows will be totally alike.

Costello most recently played the Strip in March 2014, backed by the Roots for a two-night, sold-out engagement opening Brooklyn Bowl. Costello has previously played Pearl at the Palms in 2011, opened for the Police on their reunion tour stop at MGM Grand Garden Arena in 2008, and also headlined the old Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel in 2005.

Encore Theater has shifted to a star-policy strategy since “Steve Wynn’s Showstoppers” closed in December. John Fogerty and Diana Ross have headlined the theater (Ross is currently performing her extended run), with Tony Bennett, Harry Connick Jr. and the Moody Blues in the mix.
Costello’s backing band, The Imposters, is largely unchanged from his breakthrough period with The Attractions in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Bassist Davey Faragher is the newcomer, along with original members of The Attractions drummer Peter Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve. Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee are the show’s backing vocalists.

In July, Costello and The Impostors finished his North American summer tour, which was centered on his triumphant 1982 album, “Imperial Bedroom,” though the album was re-imagined and played out of sequence. As he told Rolling Stone magazine, “It’s not any use to me to just come out and just do a recitation of it from cover to cover. Because what I want it to do is open the door to the other rooms, the other chambers that are mentioned in the playbill.”

Through the reason why the man born as Declan Patrick MacManus adopted Elvis Costello as a stage name has faded over time, a six-show Strip engagement bears reminding: He opted for Costello as a tribute to his trumpet-playing father. His manager in the mid-1970s, Jake Riviera, suggested combining Costello with Elvis’s first name, and the new moniker was a hit.
Neil.

Re: Elvis playing Vegas, Feb/March 2018 -'only shows of 2018' !?!

Post by Neil. »

I think it's safe to say that this means they're the only dates so far announced for 2018.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder what new songs will be dropped in every night. They'll probably be old new songs for us aficionados!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yikes...is this the big announcement Chris toast was alluding to for Monday??? wish i was still the kind to jump on a plane for a weekend in Vegas. but, that was a younger ba. for now, i will NOT get to see him in 2018... :lol: :lol: SURELY he will play elsewhere. that wording is most definitely in error. but, for anyone going, please do enjoy. and i would imagine he will very easily live up to the announced NEW song nightly verbal. Lord knows he has six tunes stashed away we have not yet heard or seen. so glad to see it is a six show IMPOSTERS residency of sorts.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The announcement on EC's official site says "these shows are currently Costello’s only scheduled dates for 2018." I don't think it's intended to mean anything more than that.

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -vegas/919

Elvis Costello Announces "NOW/NOT NOW" - A Six-Night Las Vegas Stand At Wynn Las Vegas

Elvis Costello has announced a brand new show entitled "NOW/NOT NOW" which will play a six-night stand at the intimate Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas beginning Feb. 28th.

Elvis Costello and The Imposters new show "NOW/NOT NOW" will see the live debut of new songs but also a return to what Costello has called the "Hits & Headlines/Waifs & Strays", in other words the very finest and the most familiar songs from his remarkable repertoire.

There will be timeless pop melodies, dramatic piano ballads and solo narrative interludes, all framed by The Imposters renowned rock and soul rave-ups.

For those who want to take a longer vacation, it is thought that a proportion of the set will change from night to night with the first appearance of different new songs, as well as featuring selections from albums such as "My Aim Is True" or "Blood & Chocolate" and many more recent titles.

These shows are currently Costello’s only scheduled dates for 2018.

The performances will be on:

Wed., Feb 28th
Fri., March 2nd
Sat., March 3rd
Wed., March 7th
Fri., March 9th
Sat., March 10th

This year saw Elvis Costello conclude his highly acclaimed solo show, "Detour" with a final European run before being joined by The Imposters for “Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers", a tour which played across North America during the summer of 2017.

Reviews ranged from a "masterpiece of a show” (OC Register) to “Inspired and energized” (Portland Press Herald) to “Live, he [treats his] songs as organic, dynamic vehicles, and shown himself unafraid to rearrange, reorchestrate and reimagine even his most popular hits.” (The Baltimore Sun)

Costello has also set a slate of special appearances for the rest of 2017: October 18, NYC - Little Kids Rock Benefit, Honoring Elvis Costello; October 22, Austin, TX - Solo! For the Benefit of The Musician Treatment Foundation; November 6, Montreal, Quebec, Canada — “Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen”.

A brand new Elvis Costello composition, "You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way" will be heard in the motion picture, "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool", starring Annette Bening and Jamie Bell, which will be released later in 2017.

Elvis Costello: “NOW/NOT NOW"

Dates: Wednesday, Feb 28th / Fri, March 2nd / Sat, March 3rd / Wed, March 7th / Fri, March 9th / Sat, March 10th

Where: Las Vegas, NV

Venue: Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas, 3131 S Las Vegas Blvd, 89109

Public on-sale begins Friday, Oct. 20 at 10am PT / 1pm ET. For tickets, call 702 770 9966 or visit wynnlasvegas.com

The Imposters are bassist Davey Faragher along with original Attractions members, drummer Pete Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve. The ensemble will be completed by vocalists, Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee.

jmm

Post by jmm »

New songs, new show. It’ll eventually hit the road but might need to see it fresh in Vegas!!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

As a Vegas resident, this is very tempting. Not sure how thrilled my wife would be if I propose seeing Costello six nights in a row.
verbal gymnastics

Fortunately they aren't 6 consecutive nights so there are nights in between to get back in her good books/for her to decide what she wants to do (and for you to suffer along with).
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:New songs, new show. It’ll eventually hit the road but might need to see it fresh in Vegas!!!

don't forget me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Chris Toast categorically says "First" bit of touring announced (although we all knew that would be the case). No doubt the UK will miss out on this one like we did with the Imperial Bedroom shows...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaUFVtNhIN8 ... b3IDErZU0/
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The article in the Las Vegas review-journal has a second part: https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... e-theater/

The shared name is referenced on the Strip from such an unexpected star as Bill Medley of The Righteous Brothers, who says during the duo’s shows at Harrah’s, “I knew Elvis. Not really … But I was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Elvis … Costello.”

Which is true. Costello, the Righteous Brothers and the Police were all in the 2003 Rock Hall induction class.

In an e-mail exchange, I sent Costello a list of veteran rock superstars who have performed similar short-run residencies in Las Vegas, including The Who, Ringo Starr, Fogerty, Santana and Billy Idol. I asked if the success of those artists prompted him to consider a longer stay on the Strip.

“There is a reason why you would buy a ticket to see any of those artists, but I think of first time I visited Las Vegas was in 1980. I was a member of the audience, not performing here,” Costello answered. “I saw Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, playing at either end of the Strip on the same evening. Prior to that, my view of the city was based entirely on two live albums: ‘Sinatra At The Sands’ and ‘Noel Coward – Live In Las Vegas’.

“Put all that together, and you realize anything is possible.”

I also asked about his view of Las Vegas as an international entertainment destination. He is a fan of theatrical staging, along with straight rock ’n’ roll concert presentation.

“I spent a few days in Las Vegas this summer with my family. We took in three big shows in as many nights,” Costello said. “There was dancing, music and fantasy; fire jugglers, ballet dancers, singers, illusionists and during the daylight hour, kids playing together in the sun. It was in a joyful scene, a brief respite.

“For myself, the gaming tables and machines were the sideshow, even though I know they are many people’s ideal thrill. You can have the night and day you want. We will put on a show that other artists don’t offer.”

Costello finished with a nudge: “You’ll get something here that you can’t get anywhere else with ‘Now/Not Now.’ “
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Coco Shinomiya designed the poster , which is very reminiscent of Barney Bubbles' work.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/coco-sh ... 0001641339
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Chris Toast categorically says "First" bit of touring announced (although we all knew that would be the case). No doubt the UK will miss out on this one like we did with the Imperial Bedroom shows...

I'm really surprised he didn't take the IB shows to your neck of the woods. I'm sure he could have sold quite a few tickets on your side of the pond.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Well, at least 2 guaranteed ones for every different venue (Mrs. Sulky and VG permitting !) :oops:
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Chris Toast categorically says "First" bit of touring announced (although we all knew that would be the case). No doubt the UK will miss out on this one like we did with the Imperial Bedroom shows...

I'm really surprised he didn't take the IB shows to your neck of the woods. I'm sure he could have sold quite a few tickets on your side of the pond.
I agree! But Elvis didn't seem to think so. It would be a really bad move if this is another US only tour idea. It feels kind of crappy when a musician is very selective about who can watch their shows. I do feel though this could be an attempt to "generalise" elements of the Imperial Bedroom tour in a way where it looks more "sellable" to a wider audience, and so I think, if we go by the silly "won't sell in Europe" rhetoric, this new tour concept would sell a lot better over here and may be an opportunity for us unworthy Europeans to hear some already rehearsed IB songs (maybe... hint hint). :wink:

Anyway, please please please bring this tour to the UK and Europe, Elvis!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I am so there! I love Vegas and the Wynn/Encore in particular, and now with EC to boot! See ya in Vegas Elvis.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Okay...so we've had Spinning Songbook, then Imperial Bedroom, now another gimmicky repackaging of the repertoire...with a tossed-off come-on about "new songs" to give it a sense of freshness and get the true believers on board. Far be it from me to sniff at EC/Imposters remaining an active live band, but this just smacks of a cynical cash-in, a way to "replenish the coffers" without having to record an actual album.

Boo.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Vegas - ugh. not my scene at all. I've always hated Vegas and the only reason why I've ever gone was for a work conference/trade show.... Oh, and the Brooklyn Bowl show... which was great, but I was so ready to leave the next day, I had an extra pep in my step just to get the "bleep" out of that town.

The town actually depresses me. I don't gamble, plus I have ADD so all the lights and general chaos with the flashy carpets, the expansive walk a mile to get nowhere thing makes me a bit dizzy and out of it (over stimulated). I've heard there are some cool nuggets, like old school lounge singers off strip ala 70s Vegas, and that would be cool to check out, along with an Elvis show, but the thought of dealing with the doucheyness that is Vegas, plus paying $10-20 for a cocktail with a half shot in it, is just not drawing me in to book a flight. I guess if they had an express plane from SF to Vegas that would let you fly-in/out for a 24 hour trip, I would consider seeing this show...
Last edited by MOJO on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Agreed, MO...Vegas = touristy hellhole.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hey, i love BOTH Las Vegas and Atlantic City...and as someone living 150 minutes from A.C. ELVIS can not have a show there with me staying home that night! In other words, GET TO THE SHOW IF YOU ARE NEARBY and split as soon as the show ends, if you need. ENJOY!!!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Got presale tickets. Website was glitchy. Had to switch credit cards and to print at home to get it to process
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Got tickets for March 3 too. The website was glitchy for me too. I also had to use an alternate credit card
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Also got tickets for March 10. The credit card I unsuccessfully tried to use when I tried to by my ticket for March 3 the first time worked this time. Weird.

I think two shows is my limit. I think my wife might be ok with that.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

FYI

For those who have been to the Wynn/Encore in LV before (they share the same parking garage), they recently started charging for parking.

Also, the theater is pretty small. Pretty sure the capacity is less than 2,000 seats.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Tickets just went on sale to the public today and the best tickets sold out fast. As of the time that I type this, the date on which there are still tickets available for the premium bundles or Price Level 1 ($150) is Wednesday, March 7. Glad I moved quickly.