New Elvis song in "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool", on Oscar longlist

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: New Elvis song in "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool", on Oscar longlist

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/elvis- ... 201916873/

When Elvis Costello Wrote a Song For ‘Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool,’ He Understood ‘Avoiding Your Own Reflection’

Elvis Costello has a long relationship with movie songs and one Oscar nomination behind him -- this could be his second.

Pop stars write closing credit songs all the time. But the story behind Elvis Costello’s moving song “You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way,” about an older woman’s complicated allure, is crazy. Producer Barbara Broccoli and Peter Turner went to see his show at the London Palladium and were shocked to see a photo of Gloria Grahame on the stage. When they went backstage, they asked Costello to write a song for “Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool,” starring Annette Bening as the aging Hollywood actress who has an affair with younger actor Peter Turner (Jamie Bell).

Costello had hung out with Alan Bleasdale, the playwright of one of the plays Turner starred in during that period. But while Costello is a film buff who adores Grahame in Fritz Lang’s “Human Desire,” he had no idea about this true story. The song is inspired by a moment in the movie.

“There’s a wonderful gesture that Annette does when they’re in her room after the date,” he said, “when she takes her sweater off in one movement, during a conversation about age and her audition for the RSC [Royal Shakespeare Company]. In that moment she recognizes how he sees her, she puts it back on seamlessly. She doesn’t do it in any way seductively, yet she does in that moment start to disrobe in front of that young man. I saw how she’s seducing and in one moment her vanity is offended and she covered herself up again. That’s the whole the song right there.”

Costello, who is 63 and married to glam jazz performer Diana Krall, saw himself in Grahame. “I am an older character,” he said. “I identify with avoiding your own reflection. I went to see Diana after we became friends and she came out for an encore afterwards and played my song. So that was the look right there–she planted the seed of doubt, and hope. And here we are now sitting there with our boys, there’s that story.”

Since Costello wrote the song, the phrase “you shouldn’t look at me that way” has “taken on different meanings by recent events,” he said. “Do people assume the song is making a statement? I couldn’t have known. I’ve always known that was happening, and will continue to happen as people’s gaze goes away from these particularly lurid revelations. People will still keep their secret counsel and manipulate and not feel they can come and speak for themselves.”

Costello’s songwriting changed during the era of “Imperial Bedroom” after he improved his piano playing, and he worked hard on the piano in this song. “I had to execute the opening motif credibly enough to send them the demo,” he said. “I had to practice that a long time. The song didn’t take long, once I had the way the title resonated and echoes and stresses the shifting and deceptive gaze of the lovers’ desire and vanity.”

People have caught up with Costello’s “Imperial Bedroom” since its controversial debut 35 years ago. “Some people wanted the angry fast thing going on,” he said, “so I got myself in trouble with ‘Almost Blue’ and ‘Long Honeymoon,’ people didn’t want to hear it. Now with hindsight a lot of people have shared the experiences–‘that’s life–I was a bit ahead with my tragic romantic stage.” When he learned Joni Mitchell was a fan of that song, he said, “I knew I’d done something.”

Costello assembled an entire album of his movie songs, from Charles Aznavour’s “She” in “Notting Hill” to “Godfather III” and “E.T.,” called “In Motion Pictures.” And he’s prepping a Broadway stage musical version of Elia Kazan’s “A Face in the Crowd,” with Sara Ruhl, complete with 19 songs.

When Costello was nominated for an Oscar in 2004 for the song “Scarlet Tide” (with T Bone Burnett) for “Cold Mountain,” he said, “I didn’t know we were eligible.” An Academy member himself, his vote for this year’s Best Original Song goes to “Remember This” from “Coco.” “A song like that one shouldn’t be disqualified because it’s in a successful movie,” he said. “It’s a wonderful piece of music that pays off really well.”

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sadly no Oscar nom for our man. Boo hoo! The film's been overlooked in other categories too. Shame.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Bunch of cloth-eared reprobates. They are pretty bad judges of films, even worse of songs.
Annette Bening should also have been nominated, although Frances McDormand should win.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, agree about Bening - she was superb. Streep is yet again amazing in The Post - turns out she can play basic goodness and meekness, but still make it interesting and massively watchable.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/film-star ... from-sony/

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool’ Due on Disc and Digital April 24 from Sony

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, starring Annette Bening as aging 1950s-era movie star Gloria Grahame, will hit digital and DVD April 24 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The film, based on a true story by Peter Turner, follows the 1978 romance that sparked in Liverpool, England, between a young actor (Jamie Bell) and Grahame. It also stars Julie Walters and Vanessa Redgrave.

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool received three BAFTA Film Award nominations, including Best Leading Actress (Bening), Best Leading Actor (Bell) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Matt Greenhalgh), in addition to four British Independent Film Award nominations, including Best Actor (Bell) and Best Supporting Actress (Walters). The San Francisco Film Critics Circle and London Critics Circle Film Awards each nominated Annette Bening’s performance, with her winning Best Actress at the AARP Movies for Grownups Awards.

The DVD release includes the music video for “You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way” by Elvis Costello; film commentary with director Paul McGuigan, producer Barbara Broccoli and Turner; and four featurettes: “Elvis Costello Performance & Conversation,” “Making of the Music Video: ‘You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way,’” “In Conversation with Annette Bening, Jamie Bell, Paul McGuigan & Peter Turner,” and “Annette Bening on Gloria.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.mediaplaynews.com/film-star ... from-sony/

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool’ Due on Disc and Digital April 24 from Sony
(...)
The DVD release includes the music video for “You Shouldn’t Look at Me That Way” by Elvis Costello; film commentary with director Paul McGuigan, producer Barbara Broccoli and Turner; and four featurettes: “Elvis Costello Performance & Conversation,” “Making of the Music Video: ‘You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way,’” “In Conversation with Annette Bening, Jamie Bell, Paul McGuigan & Peter Turner,” and “Annette Bening on Gloria.
I bought the Blu-Ray. The three Elvis extra’s aren’t included in this release. :(
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I passed this cinema in Bilbao at the weekend. It is showing " Las Estrellas De Cine No Mueren En Liverpool".
Poster outside Bilbao cinema
Poster outside Bilbao cinema
Las Estrellas.jpg (207.32 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
MOOT