Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Providence, RI, Performing Arts Center, July 25 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Providence, RI, Performing Arts Center, July 25 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
FAVEHOUR

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Providence, RI, Performing Arts Center, July 25 2017

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Planning to be there....

Dave
bronxapostle

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Providence, RI, Performing Arts Center, July 25 2017

Post by bronxapostle »

excellent HR!! please scratch a setlist as we all love the archiving of it all. AND ENJOY THE NIGHT!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Here's hoping the last night is really memorable for you, Dave!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thanks, Sulky!
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I may have an extra...if anyone's interested at the last minute...............
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Until setlist is posted
2.5 hrs
Entire LP
Working week, Miracle, Sneaky
Go Tell

Good one
Charles

Post by Charles »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Until setlist is posted
2.5 hrs
Entire LP
Working week, Miracle, Sneaky
Go Tell

Good one
Awesome!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Best recollection

The Loved Ones
And in every home.../Lucy
Accidents
Working week
Miracle Man
Tears before Bedtime
Shabby doll
Human hands
Green shirt
Go tell
Watching the detectives
Long honeymoon
King horse
You little fool
Pidgin English

Alison
Little savage
A face in the crowd
Blood and hot sauce
Shot with his own gun
Boy with a problem
Almost blue
Kid about it
Sneaky feelings
Beyond belief
Man out of time
Town cryer/The Bells
Every day I write the book
Pump it up
PLU/The kids are alright

Start 7:36
End 10:05

Corrections welcome!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks, Dave. The setlist submitted to the wiki site adds "Moods for Moderns" and "This House Is Empty Now."

01. The Loved Ones
02. ...And In Every Home - including Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Welcome To The Working Week
05. Miracle Man
06. Tears Before Bedtime
07. Moods For Moderns
08. Shabby Doll
09. Human Hands
10. Green Shirt
11. Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)
12. Watching The Detectives
13. The Long Honeymoon
14. This House Is Empty Now
15. King Horse
16. You Little Fool
17. Pidgin English
Encore 1
18. Alison
19. Little Savage
20. A Face In The Crowd
21. Blood & Hot Sauce
22. Shot With His Own Gun
23. Boy With A Problem
24. Almost Blue
25. Sneaky Feelings
26. Kid About It
27. Beyond Belief
28. Man Out Of Time
29. Town Cryer - including The Bells
30. Everyday I Write The Book
31. Pump It Up
32. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - including The Kids Are Alright
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... ocky-start

Concert review: Elvis Costello gets his mojo after rocky start

The rocker came to the Providence Performing Arts Center Tuesday night with a tour built around 1982′s “Imperial Bedroom.”

There’s a mini trend among rock stars of a certain age to celebrate the anniversaries of favorite albums. Bruce Spingsteen did it with “The River.” U2 did it with “The Joshua Tree.” Now it’s Elvis Costello’s turn, coming to the Providence Performing Arts Center Tuesday night with a tour built around 1982′s “Imperial Bedroom.”

Costello didn’t play the entire album in order. The official title for the tour is “The Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers” which gives him leeway to include other work, including early classics such as “Alison” and “Watching the Detectives.”

But he performed almost all of “Imperial Bedroom,” while occasionally joking about the record’s relative lack of commercial success. He even did the rarely performed “Boy with a Problem,” using a lyric sheet to get the words right.

The show got off to a bit of a rocky start. I thought the sound was muddy and Costello occasionally had some difficulty finding the melodic line. “Accidents Will Happen” sounded oddly out of sync.

Costello used a pair of female backup singers, Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee, who seemed superfluous at times, but proved their worth on “Imperial” tunes such as “Tears Before Bedtime.”

The show got better as it progressed, with a long version of “Watching The Detectives” that saw Costello and his band illuminated by dim green lights while the screen behind the stage flashed posters from cheesy detective movies.

And Costello clearly had found his vocal mojo with stellar interpretations of “The Long Honeymoon” and “This House is Empty Now.”

But the concert really kicked into gear during its second half — technically an encore, but it took up nearly half the show. Costello put a new twist on “Alison,” performing a very slow version with just himself and his two backup singers harmonizing at a single microphone. Then Costello moved to piano, where the trio did “A Face in the Crowd” and a rousing faux-gospel take on “Blood and Hot Sauce.”

Long-time Costello accompianist Steve Nieve returned to the keyboard to help with moody performances of “Boy with a Problem” and “Almost Blue,” before Costello brought his full band back to the stage to do “Sneaky Feelings.”

The ending may have been predictable, but satisfying nonetheless. First came a long version of “Every Day I Write the Book” that had the audience up and dancing in the aisles, followed by “Pump It Up” and the big forward surge of ”(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Thanks, Dave. The setlist submitted to the wiki site adds "Moods for Moderns" and "This House Is Empty Now."

01. The Loved Ones
05. Miracle Man
06. Tears Before Bedtime
07. Moods For Moderns
08. Shabby Doll
09. Human Hands
10. Green Shirt
13. The Long Honeymoon
15. King Horse
16. You Little Fool
17. Pidgin English
Encore 1
18. Alison
19. Little Savage
20. A Face In The Crowd
21. Blood & Hot Sauce
23. Boy With A Problem
24. Almost Blue
25. Sneaky Feelings
26. Kid About It
27. Beyond Belief
28. Man Out Of Time
31. Pump It Up
32. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - including The Kids Are Alright
Yep, that's absolutely correct. Forgot those two!
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I will "second" that setlist....

Strong tour closer...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Thanks, Dave. The setlist submitted to the wiki site adds "Moods for Moderns" and "This House Is Empty Now."

01. The Loved Ones
05. Miracle Man
06. Tears Before Bedtime
07. Moods For Moderns
08. Shabby Doll
09. Human Hands
10. Green Shirt
13. The Long Honeymoon
15. King Horse
16. You Little Fool
17. Pidgin English
Encore 1
18. Alison
19. Little Savage
20. A Face In The Crowd
21. Blood & Hot Sauce
23. Boy With A Problem
24. Almost Blue
25. Sneaky Feelings
26. Kid About It
27. Beyond Belief
28. Man Out Of Time
31. Pump It Up
Yep, that's absolutely correct. Forgot those two!
is it a tour closer with that alleged IB&OC date coming in September???
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

He called it that last night, thanked the crew and everything, but they are slated for that mountain top gig... hard to believe they'd get it all back together for one show. Unless it's a very large check
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:He called it that last night, thanked the crew and everything, but they are slated for that mountain top gig... hard to believe they'd get it all back together for one show. Unless it's a very large check
right??? i still say either THAT show is NOT an IB&OC show and just a regular IMPOSTERS GH set (NOOOO, not GET HAPPY!!, but GREATEST HITS!!) or he will add a few other September shows. unless your guess of a BIG PAYDAY is indeed the scenario. that COULD BE; cheers Dave! best, benny
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.golocalprov.com/lifestyle/el ... -take-ppac

Elvis Costello & The Imposters Take PPAC

Elvis Costello & The Imposters brought The “Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers” Tour to The Providence Performing Arts Center last night. Costello and his band The Imposters, including original Attractions members Pete Thomas on Drums and Steve Nieve on keyboards, along with the accomplished Davey Faragher on bass, was backed by the beautiful harmonic vocals provided by the talented duo of Kitten Kuroi and Brianna Lee.

The band performed several songs from Costello’s 1982 album Imperial Bedroom.  Hailed in a review by Rolling Stone as “his masterpiece”, the album was somewhat under-appreciated by the masses  A few of the songs played from its track list included “Tears Before Bedtime”, “The Long Honeymoon”, “You Little Fool”, and “Pidgin English”. Of course no Elvis Costello show would be complete without stalwarts of his vast catalog such as “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes”, “Accidents Will Happen”, “Watching The Detectives”, “Green Shirt”, among many others.

The band played much more intensely than the quartet it was comprised of, delivering a broad selection of tunes ranging from Costello’s distinctive early angry young Brit sound to a more soothing set of love ballads. Costello and mates finished a solid 2 hour and 15 minute set with a loaded encore of “Alison”, “Every Day I Write The Book”, “Pump It Up”, and “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” to name a few of the extensive encore.

The ever beautiful venue that is PPAC, continues to draw big name acts and large audiences as it has forged itself as a bonafide concert venue in the greater Rhode Island area to catch a great show. GoLocalProv was there to seize this epic event for Elvis Costello fans.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.630wpro.com/2017/07/26/elvis ... r-at-ppac/

Elvis Costello closes marathon Imperial Bedroom tour at PPAC

Elvis Costello ended his “Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers” Tour with a marathon 32 song, 2 and a half hour set at the Providence Performing Arts Center on Tuesday night.

The tour, based around the 1982 “Imperial Bedroom” album, also featured material from throughout Costello’s career; almost everything from his 1977 debut My Aim Is True, to his work with Burt Bacharach in the late 90’s, to unreleased tracks from his planned musical “A Face in the Crowd” was represented.

Costello’s backing band, The Imposters, consists of Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums from the Attractions, as well as bass player Davey Faragher, who also contributed backing vocals along with Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee.

The show opened with “The Loved Ones” from Imperial Bedroom, and there were sound challenges early in the set with a somewhat murky mix that was slowly corrected as the evening progressed.

Providence was one of the only shows of the tour in which the entire Imperial Bedroom album was performed, although not in order.
Powerhouse keyboardist Steve Nieve was impressive as he (literally) hopped between grand piano, Vox organ, Hammond organ, and other various keyboards, sometimes mid-song.

Thomas and Faragher provided a solid rhythm section throughout, while Kuroi and Lee, at times slightly overused, provided strong vocals, particularly on the more lush “Imperial Bedroom” and later period tracks.

Highlights included an extended take on “Watching the Detectives” and “The Long Honeymoon,” which Costello described as somewhat of a sequel to the “Detectives,” featuring the same characters five years later.

After the initial 17 song set, which also featured an impressive rendition of the Bacharach co-write “This House is Empty Now,” Costello performed several songs on acoustic guitar and piano with just his backing singers, including “Alison,” and a few songs from his upcoming musical “A Face in the Crowd,” including the title cut and the humorous “Blood and Hot Sauce.”

Nieve rejoined Costello for several songs including “Shot with His Own Gun” and “Boy With A Problem,” before dedicating “Almost Blue” to “a girl who sings this for me from time to time, out in Bend, Oregon. (Costello’s wife Diana Krall, who performed the tune at PPAC last month, had a show that same evening in that city.)

The show wrapped with an extended “Everyday I Write The Book,” during which many in the crowd moved down to the front of the stage and each band member took a turn in the solo spotlight, followed by a muddy “Pump it Up” and the strong closer “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding,” to rapturous applause from the nearly sold out crowd.

Costello’s vocals remained strong throughout the long performance. It will certainly be interesting to see what his next move is, after a successful tour based on a 34 year old album that didn’t sell well to begin with.

Hopefully he continues to work on the “Face in the Crowd” concept, as it was among the strongest material of the evening.

SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

FAVEHOUR wrote:He called it that last night, thanked the crew and everything, but they are slated for that mountain top gig... hard to believe they'd get it all back together for one show. Unless it's a very large check
Seems like it will be an Imposters show as that is how the show has been advertised, and the fact that Kitten has indicated she will performing, I have to think it will be an IB show as well.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Oh I agree it seems to be that way, just thinking they would add a few more nearby if they're going to all that trouble
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Not sure how I feel about this upcoming performance. I saw the Imperial Bedroom tour in Boston last fall (when I was visiting my kids who are in college up there). Since the Beaver Creek show is near my home in Denver, I have tickets to this one, of course.

It's been awhile since I saw an Imposters show, so I'm up for a general type of setlist. Even better, how about a 40th Anniversary MAIT show :D ?
Tasty Travails

Post by Tasty Travails »

Funny, but I never found Kitten or Brianna "overused."

Actually, I think they keep the band on their toes, and have told them both that.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Surprising, isn't it, that in NONE of the IBAOC shows did he do "Imperial Bedroom"......
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Arbogast wrote:Surprising, isn't it, that in NONE of the IBAOC shows did he do "Imperial Bedroom"......

I know....I wanted him to open the show with it.

Dave