Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers -Milwaukee, WI, Riverside Theatre , July 16 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers -Milwaukee, WI, Riverside Theatre , July 16 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
FAVEHOUR

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers -Milwaukee, WI, Riverside Theatre , July 16 2017

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'm going!
johnfoyle

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers -Milwaukee, WI, Riverside Theatre , July 16 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

According to his Facebook page , Steve Nieve's flight from Paris today has been delayed. Let's hope for the best!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve just posted to Facebook-

Derailed but not defeated, managed to hop onto the last flight of the evening, NYC, back of the plane, but at least I'm over the ocean. Of course plenty of 24 hour temptations to resist.... Now in the waiting lounge at La Guardia... what a trip...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I'm going!

WOW Dave...all the way to Wisconsin for you??? GREAT! ENJOY! looking forward to your setlist and recap. best, ba
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Milwaukee

01. The Loved Ones
02. ...And In Every Home - including Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. You'll Never Be A Man
05. Tears Before Bedtime
06. Moods For Moderns
07. Shabby Doll
08. Human Hands
09. Green Shirt
10. Poor Napoleon
11. Watching The Detectives
12. The Long Honeymoon
13. This House Is Empty Now
14. King Horse
15. You Little Fool
16. Pidgin English
Encore 1
17. Alison
18. A Face In The Crowd
19. This Year's Girl
20. All Grown Up
21. Stripping Paper
22. Almost Blue
23. Kid About It
24. Beyond Belief
25. Man Out Of Time
Encore 2
26. Town Cryer
27. Everyday I Write The Book
28. Pump It Up
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

was there the continued sale of BRIGHT BLUE TIMES vinyl and more importantly, ANY Lupe-o-Tone AMERICAN TUNE/LUCKY DOG 10" available last night Dave or anyone else who attended please?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes they were selling both Lupe O Tone singles at the show.

Pretty good show, marred by endless stream of people coming down the aisle to take pictures and then keep standing in the aisle if they could. Security made a half hearted effort for a while to keep the aisle clear but then gave up. Eventually made the aisle seat I picked out for my wife rather pointless.

Cool to see This Years Girl done with Steve, the US premiere (I think) of Stripping Paper, and Poor Napoleon, one of my all time faves.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Yes they were selling both Lupe O Tone singles at the show.

Pretty good show, marred by endless stream of people coming down the aisle to take pictures and then keep standing in the aisle if they could. Security made a half hearted effort for a while to keep the aisle clear but then gave up. Eventually made the aisle seat I picked out for my wife rather pointless.

Cool to see This Years Girl done with Steve, the US premiere (I think) of Stripping Paper, and Poor Napoleon, one of my all time faves.
thanks for all that good news (EXCEPT FOR THE ANNOYING CROWD report!!) yes, would love to hear a band NAPOLEON once again and the duet TYGIRL sounds intriguing. are you going to any more shows this month Dave?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Hope to go to Providence
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

BTW I thought the sound was improved
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://shepherdexpress.com/article-3007 ... rside.html

Elvis Costello Took a Return Trip through ‘Imperial Bedroom’ at the Riverside

While most artists in Elvis Costello’s shoes by now would have whittled their set lists down to a knockout 95 minutes of hits and fan favorites, coasting on easy paychecks and even easier applause, Costello has taken the harder route. Always one to shake things up, for his latest tour he’s celebrating the 35th anniversary of Imperial Bedroom, the critically adored record that broke from his usual rock ’n’ roll and revealed the scope of his compositional ambitions, luxuriating instead in the soft tones and slow tempos of jazz and orchestral pop.  

It’s an odd album to tour behind since, loved as it is, it’s not exactly a party starter—even its biggest defenders would admit that it has a tendency to drag. He had a workaround for that, though. Instead of playing the album in its entirety Sunday night at the Riverside Theater, he put it on shuffle, alongside numbers from his songbook both expected (“Alison” and “Watching The Detectives”) and not (most of the set, really). At times it felt less like the “Imperial Bedroom Tour” and more like the “Mellower Songs I Don’t Usually Get To Play Live Tour,” detouring frequently for deep cuts like “Poor Napoleon,” leisure jams like “Every Day I Write The Book,” and Bacharachian ballads (including one he actually wrote with Burt Bacharach, “This House is Empty Now.”)

For most of the show, Costello and his backing band, the Imposters, were joined by two powerhouse backing soul singers who injected some extra energy into the songs but sometimes had a tendency to overpower an already often very busy mix (did anybody expect an Imperial Bedroom-heavy show to be this loud?) Some of the set’s most memorable moments offered relief from that volume, scaling the stage down to just Costello and his longtime pianist Steve Nieve, who accompanied him on a couple of torchy new songs—“A Face in the Crowd” and “Stripping Paper.”

At nearly two-and-a-half hours long, the show was almost too generous, and some of Imperial Bedroom’s lesser numbers began to bleed together (there’s a reason “Pidgin English” and “Town Cryer” never became staples of his live shows). At the end of the night, after 26 songs and two encores, Costello ended the night with the two big crowd-pleasers it seemed as if he might skip: “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding”—a little tease of the livelier, safer show he could have performed instead.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

sweetest punch wrote:http://shepherdexpress.com/article-3007 ... rside.html

At nearly two-and-a-half hours long, the show was almost too generous, and some of Imperial Bedroom’s lesser numbers began to bleed together (there’s a reason “Pidgin English” and “Town Cryer” never became staples of his live shows). At the end of the night, after 26 songs and two encores, Costello ended the night with the two big crowd-pleasers it seemed as if he might skip: “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding”—a little tease of the livelier, safer show he could have performed instead.

Those are two of my favorite songs on the album, and when I saw Town Cryer performed at the Spinning Songbook show in NYC,I thought that Elvis really should keep that in his permanent performing repertoire. And I thought Pidgin English was such a great main set closer to this tour. Really, lots of energy and momentum. To each his own, I guess...
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photo by Steven Hanna
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

PLEASE tell me someone's got video on that Elvis-and-Steve-only version of "This Year's Girl"!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Someone posted a clip of the song on the FB group. Short but sweet.

Arbogast wrote:PLEASE tell me someone's got video on that Elvis-and-Steve-only version of "This Year's Girl"!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Nice video. Fun watching Steve on this one.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Really love that. shows the melancholy (sadness? sympathy?) of the song that can get hidden under the bluster of the way it is often performed. he's not ironically mocking this year's girl but almost pleading with her to wake up.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Thanks, FaveHour! That was great.

I've long wondered: I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the live videos on this forum are, at least mostly, uploaded by members. But maybe not....cuz it always seems it's the same old greatest hits (Alison, Detectives, PIU, PLU, etc.) that get featured. I'd think that people like "us" (i.e., people who are registered here) would choose rarer, more interesting tracks (say, from this tour: Poor Napoleon, Still Have That Other Girl, All Grown Up, Stripping Paper, Talking in the Dark, Sneaky Feelings, You'll Never Be a Man....) to upload.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Oh I know...I didn't upload this one either, just flagging it for everyone. Too bad when most of the videos are the same old ones....