Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
Eugene

Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017

Post by Eugene »

Yes, I am going.
bronxapostle

Re: John Foyle-no love for Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017?

Post by bronxapostle »

King John musta forgotten...of course there is TOWER LOVE! one of the BEST EC shows i ever saw on the most magical of NEW YORK METS nights 10/27/1986. BEST ROAD TRIP EVER! enjoy tonight Eugene.
johnfoyle

Re: John Foyle-no love for Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017?

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks for the reminder - I'll add this now , with suitable edit!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:King John musta forgotten...of course there is TOWER LOVE! one of the BEST EC shows i ever saw on the most magical of NEW YORK METS nights 10/27/1986. BEST ROAD TRIP EVER! enjoy tonight Eugene.
Sorry, I am confused. Not tonight, enjoy Friday
And No Coffee Table

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... pper_Darby

01. The Loved Ones
02. On Your Way Down
03. ...And In Every Home - including Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. You'll Never Be A Man
06. Tears Before Bedtime
07. Moods For Moderns
08. Shabby Doll
09. Human Hands
10. Green Shirt
11. Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)
12. Watching The Detectives
13. The Long Honeymoon
14. I Wanna Be Loved
15. King Horse
16. You Little Fool
17. Pidgin English
Encore 1
18. Alison - EC, Kitten Kuroi & Briana Lee
19. A Face In The Crowd - EC, Kitten Kuroi & Briana Lee
20. Shot With His Own Gun - EC & Steve Nieve
21. Boy With A Problem - EC & Steve Nieve
22. Almost Blue - EC & Steve Nieve
23. Kid About It
24. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun
25. Beyond Belief
26. Man Out Of Time
27. Everyday I Write The Book - including band intro
28. Pump It Up
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
johnfoyle

Re: Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers - Philadelphia PA Tower Theater June 16 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Vinyl was readily available before the show. Sound had its issues-very bottom heavy, thus leading to indistinct vocals and loss of Steve's more subtle moments. Very enthusiastic crowd; one loud person was told off by EC: "I'm speaking, thank you very much".

Camera policeman was very active. LOL
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... er+Account

Elvis Costello's aim is true with 'Imperial Bedroom' at the Tower
JUNE 17, 2017

by Dan DeLuca, Music Critic

ddeluca@phillynews.com

Revisiting classic albums on anniversary years is a tempting career strategy for any artist with a decade or more under their belt. Records used to sell more than they do now, and more tickets can be moved to fans wishing to revisit the glories of their youth than those willing to buy into the idea that the new stuff could be as good as the old.

Elvis Costello is willing to play along, but only if he can do it in his own unpredictable way. (As opposed to U2, who will embrace the obvious by playing the 30 year old Joshua Tree from start to finish on Sunday.)

It’s 2017, right? So the easy money Costello play would be to commemorate the 40th anniversary of My Aim Is True, his 1977 angry young man debut.

He did touch on that album during his show with the Imposters at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby on Saturday night, with an “Alison” performed on acoustic guitar with vocal accompaniment from singers Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee, plus the blue mood of “Watching the Detectives,” with entertaining visuals featuring vintage film noir movie posters on the big screen behind him.

Instead of Aim, Costello built his show around Imperial Bedroom, his 1982 album also celebrating a round number anniversary. He didn’t do every song, nor perform them in order. But he had excellent musical reasons for taking on the album, which marked a move away from the direct hit intensity of his punk and pub rock inspired previous work. Instead, working with Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick, he embraced using the studio as an aide in creating layered complicated arrangements that flowed into one another as individual pop songs that presented themselves as an extended suite.

The difficulty has been in bringing those songs and their multi-tracked vocals to life on stage. At the Tower, Costello met the challenge with the help of Imposters bassist Davey Faragher, who reimagined the parts played by Bruce Thomas on the original record and has added vocal dimension to the band every since joining Costello in 2001. But mostly it put to use the talents of Kuroi and Lee in freeing up the 62 year old Costello to sing in a more relaxed manner, rather than cram too many syllables into an individual vocal line.

The show stretched to close to 2 1/2 hours, with lots of singular treats, from a snippets of “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” (perhaps in honor of Emerick, who worked on Sgt. Pepper) to “Shot With His Own Gun” from 1981’s Trust, a showcase for the pianissimo of longtime sideman Steve Nieve.

Costello, who wore a red Fedora cocked to one side of his head for much of the show – but did not perform “Red Shoes” – played the piano himself for “A Face In The Crowd,” a new song inspired by the 1963 Elia Kazan movie starring Andy Griffith about populism run amok that many observers have pointed to as predicting the rise of Donald Trump.

Over the course of the evening, Costello brought the seated audience to its feet on several occasions. The tour is officially called Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers, as he mixed closing crowd pleasers like “Pump It Up” and “(What’s So Funny Bout) Peace Love and Understanding” with deep cuts like “Green Shirt” (from 1978’s This Year’s Model) and “King Horse” (from 1980’s Get Happy.)

Costello was charming and chatty throughout the well paced show, and he had patter ready for the venue, which he first played in 1979. Early on, he said he knew that Philadelphia “is often referred to as the City of Brotherly Love, but we all know it’s the city of heartbreak and torment.” That served as an introduction to the tender, open hearted “Human Hands,” by way of informing the crowd that he had no intention of being a sourpuss though the evening. “I hate to break it to you,” he said. “But not all the songs are going to be miserable.”