Elvis & The Imposters play 'Beaver Creek Hike to the Mic', Avon, CO, Sept. 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play 'Beaver Creek Hike to the Mic', Avon, CO, Sept. 2017

Postby johnfoyle » Sun May 28, 2017 2:19 am

http://www.beavercreek.com/events-and-a ... l#/Tickets

2017 marks the inaugural Beaver Creek Hike to the Mic – a one-of-a-kind music destination, perched high atop Beaver Creek's Centennial Express Chairlift, complete with a sweeping panorama of the surrounding mountain ranges.

Hike to the Mic is truly about the journey, as well as the destination. For Saturday’s concert, explore the mountain as you make your way by 4x4 tour, bike, foot, or Centennial Express Gondola up to the mountaintop concert on the Spruce Saddle lawn. Along the way, discover uniquely created art pieces and photo opportunities, along with glorious views of the mountain’s fall colors.

Once at the venue, be rewarded with a spacious lawn to rejuvenate, grab food and drinks, and enjoy live music at 10,000 feet. The afternoon's lineup features Grammy Award winner, Elvis Costello & the Imposters with opening quintet Elephant Revival. Upon return to the Village, you will be greeted with a Village-wide celebration of more music, art, and food – the ultimate after party. All weekend long, Hike to the Mic creates new experiences and showcases the stunning beauty of fall in the Rocky Mountains.

The journey continues all weekend long with evening art exhibitions, restaurant specials, live music, free outdoor yoga, shopping and more!

Come for the music, stay for the journey – Hike to the Mic 2017.

Brodsky

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play 'Beaver Creek Hike to the Mic', Avon, CO, Sept. 2017

Postby Brodsky » Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm

I was thinking of driving from Denver to see the Kansas City show, but this is practically in my backyard. The top of Centennial lift sounds like an awesome place to see a show (and, I assume, an afternoon one at that, given the 10,000 feet plus elevation).

Dr. Luther

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play 'Beaver Creek Hike to the Mic', Avon, CO, Sept. 2017

Postby Dr. Luther » Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

I wouldn't bank on Costello's vocals at 10,000 feet.

(I believe Gillian Welch performed "White Rabbit" somewhere at high-altitude in Colorado a few years back -- and thought better of it, after the fact.)

Hate to possibly curse him and all, but he's never really been one to back down from a challenge...

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Tue May 30, 2017 11:46 pm

This is also an Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers concert: http://www.vaildaily.com/entertainment/ ... r-concert/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:01 am

Dr. Luther wrote:I wouldn't bank on Costello's vocals at 10,000 feet.

I understand the point. What is the highest venue Elvis has played previously, and how did he perform on that occasion?

MOOT

krm

Postby krm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 am

Man out of Time wrote:
I understand the point. What is the highest venue Elvis has played previously, and how did he perform on that occasion?

MOOT

First guess: Aspen, Colorado

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:47 am

Backing singer Kitten Kuroi has posted details of her upcoming tour dates with Elvis and (separately!) Englebert Humperdinck. The schedule indicates , obviously, when she wouldn't be available for further Imperial Bedroom shows. There is , however, a gap in October,before a show with Englebert in London in November, which bodes well for 'Bedroom shows in Europe.

Kitten includes the show with Elvis in Beaver Creek in September in her listing , indicating it will be more than a 'Greatest Hits' show.

http://kitten-kuroi.squarespace.com/tour/

Brodsky

Postby Brodsky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 am

As John would say, "who's going" :D ?

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

Preview article by Chryss Cada in the Travel section of the Denver Post.

"Earning your Elvis Costello tunes at Hike to the Mic at Beaver Creek

It’s always farther to the top than you think.

Standing at the bottom of a ski hill during the summer, grass and wildflowers brushing your ankles, the summit seems just a couple of switchbacks away. And if you’re a skier, used to getting a lift to the top in mere minutes, your perspective is further skewed.

During the middle months of the year, the elevation of a ski hill is working against you. But the effort will be richly rewarded.

Warm weather reveals a whole other world waiting under the snow. It’s a miniature world just the right size for my daughters’ 6-inch dolls; a world where tiny rivulets of water become rushing streams, patches of moss are ideal for tiny picnics and alpine harebell hang from their stems like lavender lanterns.

But not all things on the summer slopes are in miniature. Under the gondola on Aspen Mountain there is a scree field so steep and slippery I wasn’t the only one carrying my mountain bike down it — and in the winter you don’t even know it’s there. Summer at Mary Jane reveals that some of those giant moguls are actually massive boulders with a thick layer of snow frosting on top. And at Crested Butte, hikers negotiate tiny trails through a sloping sea of shoulder-high fireweed in July.

Those who make the 4-mile hike up Beaver Creek’s main mountain on Sept. 16 (and buy tickets) will find legendary musician Elvis Costello performing live outside of the Spruce Saddle Lodge. The resort’s inaugural year of Hike to the Mic will include other concerts and activities throughout the village during the weekend.

The hike to the venue gains 2,000 feet in elevation and takes about two hours, including those much-needed photo breaks. Concertgoers can also take a Jeep tour up the mountain, ride a mountain bike, ride a horse or simply jump in the Centennial Gondola.

For those familiar with Beaver Creek, the stage will be set on the east side of Spruce Saddle before you head down into the Rose Bowl. Seated stadium-style around the stage, spectators will have a view of the Gore Range.

Bonnie Paine of Elephant Revival, the Nederland-based folk quintet opening for Costello, is looking forward to playing in the new venue.

“When playing outdoors, because there are no walls for the sounds to bounce back from, there can be a naked but neat feeling of the songs continuing to ring out from and meld into our surroundings,” Paine said. “I usually prefer the expansive feeling of being outside together with the potentials of the music getting to interact with the shifting of the wind or some other-than-human spontaneity.”

Paine cites her first concert, seeing Pink Floyd in Dallas when she was 10, as the inspiration for becoming a professional musician.

“I remember feeling like every time the drummer pulsed the bass drum, I could feel my heart with all of the thousands of people in the stadium’s heart beats synching up with it,” she said.

I’m hoping there will be magic up at Spruce Saddle for my daughters’ first big concert — whether the musicians find it on stage or in the beauty of nature surrounding it.

Hike to the Mic with Elvis Costello and the Impostors, and Elephant Revival. Sept. 16, Beaver Creek. Tickets start at $65 plus $4.57 fee. "

MOOT

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 am

as i was unfamiliar with Imposters opening act this day, i wikied them. EC next collaborators????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Revival

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”