Green Shirt- extended mix from 1985

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Green Shirt- extended mix from 1985

Post by johnfoyle »

Not reissued digitally since it came out on 12" green vinyl to promote a 'Best of.

https://youtu.be/GEhHcENngCA
bronxapostle

Re: Green Shirt- extended mix from 1985

Post by bronxapostle »

HOW THE HECK???? i can't BELIEVE that larryrulz has the 12" vinyl in house OR the turntable to play it; though he assuredly does have the know how to transfer it and most definitely the prowess to upload it at youtube. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:HOW THE HECK???? i can't BELIEVE that larryrulz has the 12" vinyl in house OR the turntable to play it; though he assuredly does have the know how to transfer it and most definitely the prowess to upload it at youtube. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry knows important people.

(Also, he has a turntable at home!)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

EXCELLENT!!! i'll have to sell him some extra records...or gift him some if he is a good boy. :P :P
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm not sure that the few extra beats will make it worth his while but there's always the extnded Pump It up on the Only Flame In town.
BTW, is there a difference between the UK dance mix on this and the "Monster Mix " on the US 12 " version ? - I may have to dig out and see if I've got the US version which might cause a mad scramble and huge profiteering on eBay !! :oops:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:I'm not sure that the few extra beats will make it worth his while but there's always the extnded Pump It up on the Only Flame In town.
That's in Volume 3 of the 'Singles Box', isn't it?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

wasn't LET THEM ALL TALK and/or I WANNA BE LOVED given remix 12" treatments also??? I KNOW i have 12" versions of each. and A TOWN CALLED BIG NOTHING also had four versions i think.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

According to Discogs, the US Columbia 12 " of Only Flame has a Monster Mix of PIU that it 4 seconds longer than the UK promo - I shall investigate :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bronxapostle wrote:wasn't LET THEM ALL TALK and/or I WANNA BE LOVED given remix 12" treatments also??? I KNOW i have 12" versions of each. and A TOWN CALLED BIG NOTHING also had four versions i think.
As was Everyday I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

bronxapostle wrote:wasn't LET THEM ALL TALK and/or I WANNA BE LOVED given remix 12" treatments also??? I KNOW I have 12" versions of each. and A TOWN CALLED BIG NOTHING also had four versions I think.
verbal gymnastics wrote:As was Everyday I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town.
As above, these have all been made commercially available in the 'Singles Box Volume 3', which is an absolute goldmine for otherwise unavailable 1980s B-side and remix versions. I appreciate that it may be currently OOP, but copies are showing up on Amazon used'n'new at around £25-£30.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Hawksmoor wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:wasn't LET THEM ALL TALK and/or I WANNA BE LOVED given remix 12" treatments also??? I KNOW I have 12" versions of each. and A TOWN CALLED BIG NOTHING also had four versions I think.
verbal gymnastics wrote:As was Everyday I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town.
As above, these have all been made commercially available in the 'Singles Box Volume 3', which is an absolute goldmine for otherwise unavailable 1980s B-side and remix versions. I appreciate that it may be currently OOP, but copies are showing up on Amazon used'n'new at around £25-£30.
hi hawksmoor...with all the second, third and sixth copies on vinyl and or cd, the reissue upon reissues and just the general multitudes of copies in my home, i stayed away ENTIRELY from that release series. i recall it was three different boxes of 8 or 10 singles each. however, i thought it was strictly a replication of the U.K. 7 " released vinyl 45s. are you saying that the 12" versions were also included there??? even if they were exclusive to the USA released 12" 45s like i believe was the case with the EVERYDAY USA copy??? thanks, ba
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

bronxapostle wrote:hi hawksmoor...with all the second, third and sixth copies on vinyl and or cd, the reissue upon reissues and just the general multitudes of copies in my home, i stayed away ENTIRELY from that release series. i recall it was three different boxes of 8 or 10 singles each. however, i thought it was strictly a replication of the U.K. 7 " released vinyl 45s. are you saying that the 12" versions were also included there??? even if they were exclusive to the USA released 12" 45s like i believe was the case with the EVERYDAY USA copy??? thanks, ba
Yeah, being honest, you missed a trick there - the 'Singles Boxes' are a really useful mop-up of B-sides and bonus tracks from all over the place, and in some cases are the only known digital (commercial) releases of certain tracks. Basically, you get all the singles as individual CDs, so from 'Less Than Zero' to 'I Can't Stand Up' they are exactly as per the UK 7" releases (and for that reason, box 1 probably isn't worth your money).

Box 2 includes, on their respective singles, 'Clowntime is Over (No 2)', the 4 tracks from the 'New Amsterdam' EP, all the B-sides from 'I'm Your Toy' (on one CD), and the 'Man Out of Time' single includes the alternative 'Town Cryer' and 'Imperial Bedroom' (as per the UK 12" release) plus a 'DJ Edit' of 'Man Out of Time' (which starts around 10 seconds in and fades out around 4:18, so it basically omits the spliced-in intro and outro). So, as above, nothing that hasn't appeared on the Rhino/Rykodisc reissues.

Box 3 is where it gets really useful. 'Every Day' has the UK 7" mix, the UK 12" 'extended' mix, a so-called 'special version' (which I don't know if it was ever released on vinyl or not) and an instrumental - so, four versions of 'Every Day' (plus, of course, 'Heathen Town' and 'Night Time'). 'Let Them All Talk' includes UK 7" and 12" versions. 'I Wanna Be Loved' includes the UK 7" version and two extended versions (the 'Smoochy'n'Runny' and the 'Version Discotheque'). 'Only Flame' has the UK 7" version, the 12" 'Version Discotheque' plus 'The Comedians', 'Baby It's You' and the 'dance mix' of 'Pump It Up'. 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' includes a live version of DLMBM (again, I don't know if that was released in the UK at the time - maybe on a promo?) plus the two UK 12" B-sides. 'Town Called Nothing' only has the UK 7" version, 'Return to Big Nothing' and the 'Long March' mix (which I'm pretty sure all appeared on the UK 12").

So all-in-all, a really good one-stop-shop for the UK B-sides 1977-1986, including several tracks that are otherwise really hard to track down. Although, as you can see above, it is Box 3 that really rewards, including several remixes and extended versions that haven't - so far - appeared on any bonus-track versions of the LPs. You can still pick up copies of each individual box for around £25-£30 on Amazon used'n'new. Oh, and if it's any extra incentive, the packaging and presentation are absolutely spot-on.
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

That's a really helpful summary Hawksmoor, many thanks. Can I just add that the Live DLMBM is probably the live track on the 12 " US promo from
WNEW-FM. Meanwhile, 2 different versions of EIWTB appeared on 12 " in the UK with different running times. The first issue was on F Beat XX32 T and runs for 3 minutes 50 seconds whilst the second was issued once the single had hit the charts as F beat XX32 T REMIX and runs for 4 minutes 52 seconds !!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:That's a really helpful summary Hawksmoor, many thanks. Can I just add that the Live DLMBM is probably the live track on the 12 " US promo from
WNEW-FM. Meanwhile, 2 different versions of EIWTB appeared on 12 " in the UK with different running times. The first issue was on F Beat XX32 T and runs for 3 minutes 50 seconds whilst the second was issued once the single had hit the charts as F beat XX32 T REMIX and runs for 4 minutes 52 seconds !!
Interesting. Let's see if we can work this out. My 12" vinyl (bought from Emir ac Elwyn's in Colwyn Bay in 1983) is XX32T and is the 3:50 version, I think. The CD version in the 'Single Box Volume 3' contains a 3:56 version (presumably the original UK 12" release as above), an 'extended' version at 4:55 (which I think must be the one you have as XX32 T REMIX), plus the 'special' version at 5:05 (is that the one BA reckons was only released in the US?) and an instrumental at 3:41 (the LP version with the vocals stripped off?).
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening, via recordings, to the version of Green Shirt being done in the shows of in the last few weeks I can't help thinking it has been part inspired by this recent reappearance of this remix. Just a hunch !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm sure someone from the EC camp pursues this site and hopefully they'll remember my moniker when it comes to the need for someone to sift through all Elvis' live recordings for the next set of re-issues with a live concert included. I think we need a 1979 AF concert and a Martin Belmont enhanced Attractions show soon don't you ? :wink:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Hawksmoor wrote: ...Box 3 is where it gets really useful. 'Every Day' has the UK 7" mix, the UK 12" 'extended' mix, a so-called 'special version' (which I don't know if it was ever released on vinyl or not) and an instrumental - so, four versions of 'Every Day' ...
The "Special Version" was released in the US only - also known as the "Special Club Version"... along with the instrumental ... on 12", both remixed by John "Jellybean" Benitez, as I recall. Heathen Town and Night TIme on the b-side.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org