Alison was first released ,as Elvis's second single, 40 years ago this month, in May 1977

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Alison was first released ,as Elvis's second single, 40 years ago this month, in May 1977

Post by johnfoyle »

Oswald Mosley

David Pryce-Jones

Published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (1976)

In November 1976 , a late night arts show on BBC TV was given over to a discussion of a book David Pryce-Jones (b.1936) had written about Unity Mitford (1914-1948), a British society figure who had dealings with Hitler in the 1930s. Pryce-Jones discussed his book with Unity's brother in law Oswald Mosley (1896-1980). Mosley had been leader of a fascist movement before and during World War 2 (1939-1945) and remained unapologetic of his views.

There is no known recording of the show but Clive James' review at the time gives an account of the proceedings.
http://www.clivejames.com/node/428

The show was seen by Elvis Costello (b.1954) , who was recording his first album at the time. He would later (2001) write -

"Less than Zero" was a song that I had written after seeing the despicable Oswald Mosley being interviewed on B.B.C. television. The former leader of the British Union of Fascists seemed unrepentant about his poisonous actions of the 1930's. The song was more of a slandering fantasy than a reasoned argument.

Less Than Zero was first released ,as Elvis's first single, 40 years ago this weekend, on March 25th 1977 .

This is the mix on the first batch of the vinyl single - it would be replaced by the mix that has featured on releases ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwq3eKf0xQ
sulky lad

Re: Less Than Zero was first released ,as Elvis's first single, 40 years ago this weekend, on March 25th 1977

Post by sulky lad »

Clive James doesn't seem to have changed over the year but this piece was a great put-down of Sir O. I was in my last year of A levels, contemplating University and revising for 4 months (as if !!) and our sixth form in a small market town in Devon had a smattering of people who insisted on playing the new "punk" singles in the coffee lounge. Most of them were mocked or even taken off before they finished (the records not the students !) . I don't remember hearing this and it certainly did't ever appear on a turntable of mine until I ended up in London for my degree. At the time we thought it would all peter out and the disco craze would continue to escalate.
As we're now entering the "It was 40 years ago today", perhaps we should have a topic just dedicated to this and reviews and memories shared from now on. I've always intended to do some reviews of the live shows that I've got, but maybe only from the U.K. perspective, perhaps some kind person could do the same for US and European shows and we might even rustle up a knowledgeable Irish correspondent !?
johnfoyle

Re: Less Than Zero was first released ,as Elvis's first single, 40 years ago this weekend, on March 25th 1977

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis didn't really hit my radar until 1979. As I've shared elsewhere on the night he played Dublin in March 1978 , a few streets away from where I grew up , I , aged 13, was probably more interested in what was on Irish TV , that night's episode of The Bionic Woman ( it was the one with the bionic dog - yes , that classic). I didn't get to see Elvis 'live' until 1984 so I wouldn't have any relevant ''it was 40 years ago" comments for a while .
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

My copy of Less Than Zero

My head is spinning and my legs are weak
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

johnfoyle wrote: This is the mix on the first batch of the vinyl single - it would be replaced by the mix that has featured on releases ever since.

This begs a question that has been bothering me for a while...
I know that this, the 'organ mix', has been reported for some time to be the original release but I've never seen any actual evidence to support this claim. I own approximately 15 copies of Stiff BUY 11 including several first pressing "Delga" copies & I have never encountered a single one that contains this mix. It is my theory that the confusion stems from the 1979 Stiff Records Box release which did (inexplicably) use the 'organ mix' & which, attempted to recreate the original picture sleeve. Of course, I did not purchase this single in the UK in March 1977 so I can't be 100% certain. But in my many years of collecting/buying/selling/trading records I've yet to find a single square-cut "Delga" sleeve that contained this mix. Does anyone actually own a copy without "Made In England" on the label that does contain the 'organ mix'?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

IbMePdErRoIoAmL wrote:
johnfoyle wrote: This is the mix on the first batch of the vinyl single - it would be replaced by the mix that has featured on releases ever since.

I know that this, the 'organ mix', has been reported for some time to be the original release but I've never seen any actual evidence to support this claim. I own approximately 15 copies of Stiff BUY 11 including several first pressing "Delga" copies & I have never encountered a single one that contains this mix. It is my theory that the confusion stems from the 1979 Stiff Records Box release which did (inexplicably) use the 'organ mix' & which, attempted to recreate the original picture sleeve. Of course, I did not purchase this single in the UK in March 1977 so I can't be 100% certain. But in my many years of collecting/buying/selling/trading records I've yet to find a single square-cut "Delga" sleeve that contained this mix. Does anyone actually own a copy without "Made In England" on the label that does contain the 'organ mix'?

i'm so confused....all i can do is try spinning mine and seeing what i can figure out. i would say mine is with me since late 1977. i believe my first EC purchase proper was MAIT lp USA Columbia vinyl from E.J. Korvette's in Nanuet, NY within two weeks of release stateside...probably $4.99; $5.99 tops!!!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

That "organ mix" was on the "Bunch of Stiffs" compilation.

Of that much I am certain.
It was the first place I heard it -- and it was a real jolt, being totally unexpected.

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:
IbMePdErRoIoAmL wrote:

i'm so confused....all i can do is try spinning mine and seeing what i can figure out. i would say mine is with me since late 1977. i believe my first EC purchase proper was MAIT lp USA Columbia vinyl from E.J. Korvette's in Nanuet, NY within two weeks of release stateside...probably $4.99; $5.99 tops!!!
BA, that's so funny. I bought my MAIT in late 77 around Thanksgiving and I bought it at Korvettes too! Under "Rock C"!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Cool Dr. LUTHER....I know I have that BUNCH OF STIFFS comp. So, to celebrate 40...I will spin a few things. Hope you have been great my good friend, as well as another good old pal fave dave. Thanks for checking in here also. Off to best buy in the morning for sure for my two cd FLOWERS IN THE DIRT + bonus 45. 8)
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
krm

Post by krm »

The release from Holland contains the version with organ intro - the same as Bunch of Stiffs version.
http://www.45cat.com/record/17787at

some interesting discussions here on the UK release
http://www.45cat.com/record/buy11

it deals with possible versions of this relase lamintd or not laminated sleeve, organ version or not, reissuse from stiff boxset and 4pack "GRAB 3"

will we ever see this sorted?

and by the way. The German 7" version is supposed to be the organ version. HOwever, th b-side of the German ALison single is the LP version.....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Giving it a spin on a few formats....

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello's classic song Alison is 'Forty-Year Old Stereo' this week , debuting on a 7" single in May 1977

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... le:_Alison