On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Post by bronxapostle »

Has the wording at the LKR site changed recently, thereby definitely improving the night for us all; if my interpretation is accurate??? It now reads:

HONORING ELVIS COSTELLO AND BONNIE RAITT: performing with....and then the short list of guests. Without a monstrous guest line-up, i would say this can be very promising if both are on stage for most of the night. Kinda makes up for Macca being in Brazil and Weller and Little Steven on the West Coast. I know Bruce is 6 short blocks away, but will he make the effort as he clearly should after his own show? Not yet checked if Jackson Browne is on the road that night as he should definitely chime in if available. Or does Diana at last sing a song with her husband this night? 8 days to go...

Oh my, just checked...JACKSON BROWNE in Japan this night. I just might have to drink 200 dollars worth of Scotch!!! :lol:
Eugene

Re: On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Post by Eugene »

And, no mention of Attractions/Confederates/Imposters! Nick Lowe is at the Birchmere that night! Is Burt Bacharach available?
jmm

Post by jmm »

If only we could have them do a show like Elvis and nick did with each other's sings in SF a few years back. One of my favs!!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I am the First Aid Kit show at the Town Hall the same night, will stop by later and see i i can sneak in if they are still going.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Eugene,
Tomorrow’s the big night and we can’t wait to rock with you! Here are some details you and your guests will need to help you get to, and enjoy, the event:

TIME AND LOCATION
Doors open at 6:45pm. The theater is at 1515 Broadway at 44th Street. Entrance is on 44th Street, between Broadway and 8th Avenue, in the Minskoff Theater Alley.

CHECK IN
You must have ID and your printed ticket. There will be security with screening, so if possible, leave large bags at home.

To speed up the process, you can pre-register for the auction at https://www.501auctions.com/littlekidsrock. (If you’ve already done this, thank you! You’re set.) You can even begin browsing and placing bids now! Share this link with friends who aren’t able to attend the event so that they don’t have to miss out on a chance to win some fabulous items!

PARKING
We have a special rate with Meyers Parking, located at 141 W. 43rd Street / 146 W. 44th Street (between 6th and Broadway - entrances and exits on both streets.) Click here to print the voucher, which you must have with you to get the special rate of $25 for 10 hours of parking. (After 10 hours, regular rates will apply. Oversized vehicles will be charged an additional $15.)

ATTIRE
Rocktail! That’s cocktail, with a rocker’s edge.

See you soon!
Your friends at Little Kids Rock
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh LORD.... i am so fearing that this just might be the disappoint of the year; AND AT $205!! please let there be a small handful of surprises.
jmm

Post by jmm »

BA, just keep expectations low and you won’t be disappointed

I’ve been thinking of the past combo shows with Rosanne and nick, but doubt they’ve had the time to prepare something along those lines.

We shall see in a few hours
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:BA, just keep expectations low and you won’t be disappointed

I’ve been thinking of the past combo shows with Rosanne and nick, but doubt they’ve had the time to prepare something along those lines.

We shall see in a few hours
YES Jack....and alongside getting to say HELLO to you and the Mrs. ANY EC appearance is always a welcome addition to my archives, though THIS an expensive one. Anyway, FWIW...I received this response from LKR employee when I emailed a question or three...

Elvis and Bonnie both have great sets tonight along with some of the other artists set to perform. It's going to be a great night.

Okay, I'll keep the faith...YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!! :wink: :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW.....more tomorrow, but five small words: ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. great time and great friends.

Alison plus big medley
Forbidden Nights solo EC
FORBIDDEN with Darlene
Love Has No Pride with Bonnie
PLU
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE all

O could be wrong with order...a little buzzed
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote: Alison plus big medley
Forbidden Nights* solo EC
FORBIDDEN with Darlene
Love Has No Pride with Bonnie
PLU
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE all

O could be wrong with order...a little buzzed
The order is correct.

Alison "monster medley": The Tracks Of My Tears, Tears Of A Clown, No More Tearstained Make-Up**, The Wind Cries Mary, Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Paul Shaffer joins the stage with Darlene.

*http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... den_Nights

**http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ed_Make-Up
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Forbidden Nights: https://youtu.be/8iVeSFTi3Oc
Forbidden Nights (two versions): https://youtu.be/u1jpdpy7Gig
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Here's my front table video of solo FORBIDDEN NIGHTS.

https://youtu.be/oTmKJX1J-E4
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Dashed across from the Town hall after First Aid kit just as everything ended unfortunately. Will be at Austin on Sunday instead. Sounds i missed a good night. ps if you have chance go see First Aid Kit on their tour next year, my first time in the Town Hall, lovely venue for the performance.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

BA's photos via Instagram

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mike Myers, EC, Bonnie Raitt, Michael McKean and Darlene Love backstage last night. Photo credit to Kevin Mazur/Getty Images.

Elvis & Mike channeling Dieter , one of Mike's characters on SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZMoGyr1BFU
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

It was for a good cause, but that was painful. Although Forbidden Nights probably made it worthwhile.

Also, don't forget "Somewhere" (There's a Place For Us) at the end of the Alison medley!

Good to to see my friends from the board!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis and Bonnie talk about Tom Petty: https://youtu.be/_OtQqmxZEwA
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Can someone who was there please give us a review. It's one of your forum duties!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Can someone who was there please give us a review. It's one of your forum duties!
Sorry, grampa duty today...later VG
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I will say this...LOVE HAS NO PRIDE Bonnie duet AND Live Aid rebate for me being in Philadelphia THAT July 13, 1985 day....along with three JOHNNIE WALKER BLACK doubles WAS worth my $200. Oh and you know me, was sitting at the $10,000 table with Mike Myers and Jesse Malin for Bonnie and Elvis sets nearly completely. :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

(L-R) Keb' Mo', Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello, and Darlene Love perform onstage during the Little Kids Rock Benefit 2017 at PlayStation Theater on Oct. 18, 2017 in New York City.

Cindy Ord/Getty Images for Little Kids Rock

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... and-bonnie

Little Kids Rock Honors Elvis Costello and Bonnie Raitt, Who Likens Cutting Music Education to a 'Criminal Act'

By Rob LeDonne

October 19, 2017

Little Kids Rock founder David Fish said it best: "The world is a f--ked up place right now," he noted on stage at New York's Playstation Theater last night. "But in these days of discord, dissonance and distraction, I'm constantly reminded by a truth that is as old as the human family itself: music can bring people together in ways that virtually nothing else can."

That is the thesis behind Little Kids Rock and its annual benefit, which aims to provide music education to public schools. This year's benefit honored longtime supporter Bonnie Raitt, along with Elvis Costello, and the CEO of City Winery and founder of New York's Knitting Factory, Michael Dorf.

"Over the past 15 years, Little Kids Rock teachers have turned this into a national movement," said Fish of the charity he initially conceptualized in 1996 when he was a teacher frustrated with the nonexistent funding for music programs at his school, leading him to launch an after-school program that taught students how to play guitar. "Since then, Little Kids Rock has been restoring, expanding and innovating music education around the country."

For Dorf, who was honored for fostering a series of tribute shows that have raised $1.5 million dollars for music education, the cause is an important one. "With Mother Nature and Father Trump causing such havoc in our world, we are constantly putting on benefits to support the environment, health issues and protecting human rights," said Dorf to Billboard. "What gets lost with all of these on-going topical issues and cut from budgets, are music programs — especially in public education for underserved youth."

That's especially true for kids like Amanda Medina, a 10-year-old student at the Equity Project Charter School in the Bronx, who also performed at the benefit as part of her after-school music group the Tep Combos. "Singing is my life, so I'm grateful for this because they're giving money to buy kid's instruments," said Medina, who cited Beyonce as an influence. "I always look forward to rehearsing; tonight is our first performance that's not in front of our school."

Throughout the night, various luminaries attested to the importance of both music and its education. Harry Connick Jr., who introduced honoree Bonnie Raitt, said he started taking piano lessons when he was four, noting, "They say music changed my life, but for me that doesn't go far enough. Music is my life."

Raitt expressed similar sentiments. "I came from a musical family and was blessed to grow up in an era when there was school orchestra with 16 percussion players," she recalled, citing Joan Baez as an early influence. "The guitar allowed me to expressed myself. It was my voice and it helped me build (since) I had a confidence problem and a self esteemed problem. There's been study after study proving the benefits of music education and exposure to the arts makes all the difference."

Raitt, who likened the cutting back of music education a "criminal act," praised the work of Little Kids Rock. "To see from where he started with his wonderful team and all those teachers and all of those kids whose lives have changed. It's one of the most successful and well-run organizations, with every dollar going to the right place that I know."

And before launching into a spirited cover of Aretha Franklin's 1967 track "Baby I Love You," Raitt expanded on the theme of the evening: "Here's to the power of a beautiful ballad to break hearts and heal."
jmm

Post by jmm »

Fun night for a good cause. Was nice that they all took to the theme of “music that changed my life”

Highlight for me was EC choosing to play PL&U with the kids band (vs the pros) and them all obviously enjoying it a great deal

EC’s voice was a bit ragged, especially compared to Bonnie.

Glad I went and that they didn’t just play “hits”
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Can someone who was there please give us a review. It's one of your forum duties!
A brief but fun concert preceded by the usual boring LKR fundraising activities - kids playing rock music covers, speeches, a dinner break (for those at the tables, for the rest of us FF members in the cheap seats a chance to convene in the aisles), and finally the auction. They raised lots of money for a worthy cause, so that's all good.

Mike Myers introduced Elvis with an amusing three minute speech. The house band played an instrumental version of Radio, Radio as Elvis took the stage. Elvis' speech was basically not a speech. After a brief thanks he said "Why don't we have some music?" and away we go.

He started with very spirited Alison with the full band, led by Will Lee on bass, 3 vocalists, 3 horns, 2 guitars, keyboards, drums. I think Bernie Williams was playing the lead guitar fills and he did a really nice job with that.

I really liked the way he segued the acoustic version of Forbidden Nights [live premiere] into the full band version with Darlene Love. Paul Shaffer joined the band as a second keyboardist.

Elvis introduced Bonnie Raitt with a story of how they first met at a party about 40 years ago..."the end of a terrible romance". Agree with jmm that Elvis' voice sounded awful compared to Bonnie's but it was a nice duet overall.

Next he played PLU with the kids, a very nice choice as jmm said. It was unclear if that was the end of the show, but as I saw Elvis hang on to his guitar it became clear there was more (yay!).

For the grand finale, All You Need Is Love, all the artists returned to the stage. Verses were sung by Elvis, Bonnie and Darlene. Yes, they ended with the "She Loves You" bit, but putting that in the Elvis live songlist is quite a stretch, even for ba.

As everyone left the stage, the house band played a beautiful version of "People Get Ready" with Bernie taking a nice long solo.

It's all on YouTube.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks doc!

Sounds like fun. I look forward to watching it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?