On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Can someone who was there please give us a review. It's one of your forum duties!
A brief but fun concert preceded by the usual boring LKR fundraising activities - kids playing rock music covers, speeches, a dinner break (for those at the tables, for the rest of us FF members in the cheap seats a chance to convene in the aisles), and finally the auction. They raised lots of money for a worthy cause, so that's all good.

Mike Myers introduced Elvis with an amusing three minute speech. The house band played an instrumental version of Radio, Radio as Elvis took the stage. Elvis' speech was basically not a speech. After a brief thanks he said "Why don't we have some music?" and away we go.

He started with very spirited Alison with the full band, led by Will Lee on bass, 3 vocalists, 3 horns, 2 guitars, keyboards, drums. I think Bernie Williams was playing the lead guitar fills and he did a really nice job with that.

I really liked the way he segued the acoustic version of Forbidden Nights [live premiere] into the full band version with Darlene Love. Paul Shaffer joined the band as a second keyboardist.

Elvis introduced Bonnie Raitt with a story of how they first met at a party about 40 years ago..."the end of a terrible romance". Agree with jmm that Elvis' voice sounded awful compared to Bonnie's but it was a nice duet overall.

Next he played PLU with the kids, a very nice choice as jmm said. It was unclear if that was the end of the show, but as I saw Elvis hang on to his guitar it became clear there was more (yay!).

For the grand finale, All You Need Is Love, all the artists returned to the stage. Verses were sung by Elvis, Bonnie and Darlene. Yes, they ended with the "She Loves You" bit, but putting that in the Elvis live songlist is quite a stretch, even for ba.

As everyone left the stage, the house band played a beautiful version of "People Get Ready" with Bernie taking a nice long solo.

It's all on YouTube.
Haha...two points doc. According to wiki for FORBIDDEN NIGHTS, thought I saw all the performances having attended Colbert when Darlene performed the song there. But, there is a DETOUR performance of the song also squeezed in in between then and now. And as per SHE LOVES YOU, with the GREAT video of the performance available, perhaps if Elvis was NOT QUITE SO ANIMATED about leading all to begin the SHE LOVES YOU refrain, I would NOT be so adamant about including it. :lol: :lol: :lol: go give a look see.
stricttime81

Re: On Oct. 18, 2017 the Little Kids Rock organization is honoring Elvis Costello for their annual event

Post by stricttime81 »

docinwestchester wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Can someone who was there please give us a review. It's one of your forum duties!
A brief but fun concert preceded by the usual boring LKR fundraising activities - kids playing rock music covers, speeches, a dinner break (for those at the tables, for the rest of us FF members in the cheap seats a chance to convene in the aisles), and finally the auction. They raised lots of money for a worthy cause, so that's all good.

Mike Myers introduced Elvis with an amusing three minute speech. The house band played an instrumental version of Radio, Radio as Elvis took the stage. Elvis' speech was basically not a speech. After a brief thanks he said "Why don't we have some music?" and away we go.

He started with very spirited Alison with the full band, led by Will Lee on bass, 3 vocalists, 3 horns, 2 guitars, keyboards, drums. I think Bernie Williams was playing the lead guitar fills and he did a really nice job with that.

I really liked the way he segued the acoustic version of Forbidden Nights [live premiere] into the full band version with Darlene Love. Paul Shaffer joined the band as a second keyboardist.

Elvis introduced Bonnie Raitt with a story of how they first met at a party about 40 years ago..."the end of a terrible romance". Agree with jmm that Elvis' voice sounded awful compared to Bonnie's but it was a nice duet overall.

Next he played PLU with the kids, a very nice choice as jmm said. It was unclear if that was the end of the show, but as I saw Elvis hang on to his guitar it became clear there was more (yay!).

For the grand finale, All You Need Is Love, all the artists returned to the stage. Verses were sung by Elvis, Bonnie and Darlene. Yes, they ended with the "She Loves You" bit, but putting that in the Elvis live songlist is quite a stretch, even for ba.

As everyone left the stage, the house band played a beautiful version of "People Get Ready" with Bernie taking a nice long solo.

It's all on YouTube.
Great summary by the venerable Doc.

I might add that I had never seen Bonnie before and her voice was freakin' amazing. Elvis was in pretty poor voice the whole night, making the difference very stark during the duet.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I got to add...as a Bonnie fan since i first saw her at Wollman RINK 1976 with Elton John guesting on a Buffalo Springfield song and MUDDY WATERS as the opener, SHE NOT ONLY SOUNDS BUT LOOKS PHENOMENAL