Post by krm »

I am!
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis solo - detour- plays Hamburg, Germany , March 14th 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mopo.de/hamburg/ausgehen/mus ... 1489154179

Elvis Costello Ohne Musik geht bei ihm nix

Von Frederike Arns.

Eindrückliche Beweise sind „She“, „Alison“ oder „Veronica“ – in Elvis Costellos Songs geht’s viel um die Frauen. Der Mann mit der Schmelzstimme ist auch schon zum dritten Mal verheiratet. Aber die innigste und längste Beziehung führt er sicherlich mit der Musik.

Mit ihr hat der 62-jährige Brite, der durch seinen Namen und seine Brille wie eine Mischung aus Elvis Presley und Buddy Holly wirkt, in mehr als 40 Jahren Karriere wirklich alles durch: Er hat jedes Genre zwischen Pop und Klassik gestreift, Soundtracks zu Kultfilmen beigesteuert („She“ etwa kennt man aus „Notting Hill“), und mit unterschiedlichsten Bands und Musikern wie den Specials, Pogues, Roots, Burt Bacharach oder sogar Paul McCartney zusammengearbeitet.
Deswegen tut er sich im MOPO-Interview auch schwer, seine Beziehung mit der Musik zu beschreiben: „Musik ist bei mir allgegenwärtig. Ich daddel’ auf meiner Gitarre herum und auf einmal entstehen aus dem nichts Melodie, Strophe und Text. Aber wenn ich versuchen würde, sie in Worte zu fassen, würde ich ganz schnell in Klischees abdriften und ihr nicht gerecht werden. Wenn wir komplett beschreiben könnten, was Musik in uns auslöst, wäre sie überflüssig.“

Das könnte Sie auch interessieren
Musik Elvis Costello lässt Andersen-Oper unvollendet

„Menschen mag ich meistens nicht besonders“

Deswegen würde Declan Patrick MacManus, wie Elvis Costello bürgerlich heißt, auch Musik auf eine einsame Insel mitnehmen, wenn er zwischen ihr und einem Menschen wählen müsste: „Definitiv die Musik! Menschen mag ich meistens nicht besonders.“

Ziemlich hart klingt das – andererseits sieht er ein, dass Musik auch oft nicht ohne die Menschen funktioniert: „Wenn ich nur im Studio sitzen und Songs produzieren würde, wäre das irgendwann reinstes Business. Man muss auch live vor Publikum spielen, denn erst mit der Neugier und der Liebe der Menschen beginnen die Songs zu leben.“

Bei der Frage nach dem Künstler, mit dem er am liebsten zusammengearbeitet hat und wer von ihnen am verrücktesten war, gibt er sich sperrig-verschwiegen: „Natürlich war es mit Paul McCartney etwas ganz Besonderes, aber wenn ich hier jetzt irgendwelche Namen nennen würde, wäre das indiskret und respektlos. Und ,verrückt' ist das falsche Wort. Jeder Mensch hat seine Spleens und Unsicherheiten. Wenn es danach gehen würde, wäre ich selbst wohl der verrückteste!“

Diesen eigenen und – er sagt es selbst – verrückten Künstler sollte man live unbedingt erlebt haben – am 14. März spielt er solo in der Laeiszhalle. Auch wenn er Menschen eigentlich nicht mag, gibt er zumindest denen im Zuschauerraum dann sicher die Chance, seinen Songs Leben einzuhauchen.

Google translation -

Elvis Costello Without music is nothing for him

By Frederike Arns.

Impressive proofs are "She", "Alison" or "Veronica" - Elvis Costello's songs are all about the women. The man with the melody is also already married for the third time. But the most intimate and longest relationship is certainly with the music.

With her, the 62-year-old Briton, whose name and glasses are like a mixture of Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly, has really done everything in more than 40 years of career: he has pranced every genre between pop and classical, soundtracks to cult films ("She", for example, from "Notting Hill"), and collaborated with various bands and musicians such as the specials, Pogues, Roots, Burt Bacharach or even Paul McCartney.
That is why, in the MOPO interview, he also finds it difficult to describe his relationship with music: "Music is omnipresent with me. I daddel 'on my guitar around and suddenly emerge from the nothing melody, stanzas and lyrics. But if I tried to put it into words, I would quickly drift into stereotypes and not do justice to her. If we could completely describe what music triggers in us, it would be superfluous. "

You might also be interested in
Music Elvis Costello leaves Andersen's opera unfinished

"People mostly do not like me"

That's why Declan Patrick MacManus, as Elvis Costello calls himself bourgeois, would also take music to a deserted island if he had to choose between her and a man: "Definitely the music! I do not particularly like people. "

Quite a bit hard - on the other hand, he also thinks that music often does not work without people: "If I were only sitting in the studio and producing songs, that would be the purest business. You also have to play live in front of the audience, because only with the curiosity and the love of the people begin to live the songs. "

When asked about the artist with whom he liked to collaborate, and who was the most crazy of them, he gave himself a secret: "Of course it was something special with Paul McCartney, but if I were to name any names here, That would be indiscreet and disrespectful. And 'crazy' is the wrong word. Everyone has his or her senses and uncertainties. If it were to go after that, I would probably be the craziest! "

This is his own and - he says it himself - crazy artists should be experienced live - on 14 March he plays solo in the Laeiszhalle. Even if he does not really like people, he certainly gives them the chance to breathe life into his songs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Kjell's photo -

Miroslav Menschenkind's photo -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Erich Sellheim, who did those albums of covers of Elvis's albums in German , emails -

John,

find below tonight's set list from Hamburg. It was a great show, including six songs I had never heard
before. Looking forward to doing covers of these at some point - for the time being, I'm putting the
finishing touches to my Punch The Clock and Goodbye Cruel World recordings. I'll send them your
way when they're done.

Best wishes,
Erich

Video: Monkey To Man

1) Watch Your Step
2) Poison Moon
3) Church Underground
4) Stella Hurt
5) Everyday I Write The Book (including guitar riff from "Big Sister's Clothes")
6) Shipbuilding (piano)
7) Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (piano)
8. Stripping Paper (piano)
9) A Face In The Crowd (piano)
10) Walkin' My Baby Back Home
11) Toledo
12) Watching The Detectives
13) Alison (off-mike)

Video - Ross McManus: If I Had A Hammer

14) Blood And Hot Sauce (piano)
15) No Man's Woman (piano)
16) Accidents Will Happen (piano)
17) This Uneasy Hour (piano)

Encores:

18) 45
19) Jimmy Standing In The Rain (with "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime" off-mike)
20) Vitajex (ukulele)
21) She
22) I Want You

23) (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
24) Almost Blue (piano).
25) I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down (piano)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love that he finished with I can't stand up 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I love that he finished with I can't stand up 8)
he was unfocused once again and missed part of the first verse....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Imke Staats in Die Tageszeitung on 16 March 2017:

"Mit Scherz und Leidenschaft

KONZERT Hutwerfen in der Hamburger Laeiszhalle: Elvis Costello beim letzten Stopp seiner autobiografisch inszenierten Detour-Deutschlandtour

„Finally welcome!“, begrüßt der britische Weltstar am Dienstagabend die Gäste der Hamburger Laeiszhalle. Es ist die „last night of the german tour“, der letzte Stopp der – sehr kurzen – Deutschlandtour. Der andere war in Bochum.Eigentlich sollte er im vergangenen Mai hier seinen exklusiven Deutschlandstopp auf der „Detour“, so der Name der Einmannshow, einlegen. Das Konzert wurde jedoch so kurzfristig abgesagt, dass viele erst an der Tür – und deshalb umso herber – enttäuscht wurden. Damals war zu beobachten, wie einem in letzter Minute angerauschten Taxi drei stilvoll gekleidete Damen entstiegen und nach einem erkenntnisbringenden Sprint zum Einlass um Fassung rangen.

Bezeichnend an dem Trio war der Generationsverbund: Es handelte sich dem Anschein nach um Mutter, Tochter und Großtochter. Das geht bei Cos­tello: Der 62-Jährige hat in den mehr als 40 Jahren, in denen er Musikgeschichte schreibt, fast alles gemacht. Von Punk bis Oper hat er beinahe jedes Genre für sich adaptiert, es mit seinem eigenen Stil durchsetzt. So ist die Wahrscheinlichkeit hoch, dass für jeden (anspruchsvollen) Musikfan etwas dabei ist.

Musik für Gourmets

Trotz dauernder Chartbrecherei in vergangenen Dekaden macht er keine Mainstreammusik, die wenigsten Radiosender dudeln regelmäßig seine Hits. Es ist eben Musik für Gourmets, denen liefert der Londoner Sohn eines Berufsmusikers und einer Mutter, die in den 50er Jahren bereits in einem angesagten Plattenladen jobbte, Virtuosität, Stil, Ideen und Aussage; kurz: Können auf der ganzen Linie plus seine markante, leicht heisere Stimme.
----
Er liefert Virtuosität, Stil, Ideen und Aus­sage; kurz: Können auf der ganzen Linie plus seine markante, leicht heisere Stimme
----
An diesem Abend sind diese Fans zumeist männlich und Ü60. Ein paar Damen jeden Alters und wenige Kinder ergänzen das Bild. Das Bühnenbild kontrastiert mit dem neobarocken Stuck im Saal, wo in einem riesigen altmodischen Fernseher das quirlige Video „From Monkey to Man“ läuft, bevor der Star selbst auf die Bühne tritt: allein, in Schwarz, mit Sonnenbrille, nur in Begleitung eines Gitarrenmuseums, eines Pianos und dreier Hüte, die er per Wurf nach Backstage wechselt (schade, nie ins Publikum).

Die Hutwechsel entsprechen Stimmungswechseln der Songs wie auch Facetten seiner Persönlichkeit, denn auf der autobiografisch inszenierten Detour stellt er sich selbst als seinen Gast vor. Der beginnt mit einem guten Rat von 1981, „Better Watch Your Step“, auf einer akustischen Gitarre, gefolgt von der „Poisened Rose“, dann von „Church Underground“ auf einer anderen Gitarre. Auf dem TV flimmern Bilder von alten Filmplakaten, Femmes fatales und Familienmitgliedern (inklusive eigener Kinderfotos des kleinen Declan Patrick MacManus).

Nach dem vierten Song wirft er schwungvoll die Jacke ab und spielt und erzählt sich mit Elan weiter durch Stationen seines Lebens, geht dabei mal ans Piano oder zu einem Stuhl. Die Bühnenmitte gehört den rockigen Titeln, wie „I Want You“ . Er erzählt von seinem frühen Job als Computertechniker, wir lernen seinen Vater Ross MacManus kennen, seine Mutter und seinen Großvater Patrick, dem er den nostalgischen Songbook-Song „Jimmy Standing in the Rain“ zuordnet, den er ohne Mikrofon vorträgt.

Dazu passt das flotte „Vitajex“ auf der Ukulele, welches seinem werdenden Musical „A Face in the Crowd“ ( nach dem Film von Eliah Kazan) entstammt. Kurz stutzt das (durch seine Autobiografie kundige) Publikum, als er einen Song von „seiner Flamenco-Platte“ ankündigt. Die gibt’s (noch) nicht. Alles gut – es folgt der Filmhit „She“. Mit Scherz und Leidenschaft prescht er durch 24 Songs, bedient zwischendurch noch hartnäckige Autogrammjäger, um sich am Piano mit „I Can’t Stand up for Falling Down“ ein bisschen erschöpft zu verabschieden."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"With joke and passion

CONCERT Hat throwing in the Laeiszhalle in Hamburg: Elvis Costello at the last stop of his autobiographical staged Detour Germany tour

"Finally welcome!", The British world star welcomes the guests of the Hamburg Laeiszhalle on Tuesday evening. It is the "last night of the german tour", the last stop of the - very short - Germany tour. The other one was in Bochum . Actually he should have made his exclusive Deutschland stop on the "Detour" last May, according to the name of one-man-show. However, the concert was canceled so quickly that many were only disappointed at the door - and therefore all the more. At that time it was observed, as a taxi drunk at the last minute, three stylishly dressed ladies escaped and after an insightful sprint to the inlet for struggling.

Characteristic of the trio was the generational alliance: it was apparently mat, daughter and grand daughter. Costello: The 62-year-old has done almost everything in the more than 40 years of writing music history. From punk to opera, he has adapted almost every genre for himself, with his own style. So the probability is high that there is something for every (demanding) music fan.

Music for gourmets

Despite a permanent chartbreak in past decades, he does not make a mainstream music, the fewest radio stations doodle regularly his hits. It is music for gourmets, the London son of a professional musician and a mother, who has already worked in a trendy record store in the 1950s, delivers virtuosity, style, ideas and statement; In short: Can be along the line plus his striking, slightly hoarse voice.

---
It provides virtuosity, style, ideas and statement; In short: Can be on the whole line plus his striking, slightly hoarse voice.
---

On this evening, these fans are mostly male and over 60. A few ladies of all ages and a few children complement the picture. The stage design contrasts with the neo-baroque stucco in the hall, where the lively video " From Monkey to Man " runs in a huge old-fashioned TV before the star himself steps onto the stage: alone, in black, with sunglasses, accompanied by a guitar museum, A pianos and three hats, which he changes by throw to backstage (unfortunate, never into the audience).

The hat changes correspond to mood changes of the songs as well as facets of his personality, because on the autobiographically staged Detour, he presents himself as his guest. It starts with a good advice from 1981, " Better Watch Your Step ", on an acoustic guitar, followed by the " Poisened Rose ", then by " Church Underground " on another guitar. On the TV, pictures of old filmmakers, femmes fatales and family members (including their own children's photos of little Declan Patrick MacManus) flicker.

After the fourth song, he throws off his jacket and plays and talks with elan through his life, going to the piano or to a chair. The stage center belongs to the rocking titles, such as " I Want You ". He talks of his early job as a computer engineer, we meet his father Ross MacManus, his mother and his grandfather Patrick, to whom he assigns the nostalgic songbook song " Jimmy Standing in the Rain ", which he plays without a microphone.

The " Vitajex " on the Ukulele, which comes from his upcoming musical " A Face in the Crowd " (after the film by Eliah Kazan), fits in with this. In short, the audience (known through his autobiography), as he announces a song of "his flamenco record". They have not (yet). Everything is fine - it follows the film hit " She ". With jest and passion, he swoops through 24 songs, and serves up even more stubborn autograph hunters to say goodbye to the piano with " I Can Not Stand Up for Falling Down " a bit exhausted."

MOOT