Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis , Detour, Gothenburg Feb. 23rd 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis , Detour, Gothenburg Feb. 23rd 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

If the audience wants to hear me, it's amazing but each tour feels like the last. I have no authority to do this indefinitely, but must show that it holds.

http://www.gp.se/n%C3%B6je/musik/jag-%C ... -1.4168299

"Jag är lyckligt lottad"

MUSIK Exklusiv intervju med Elvis Costelllo inför Göteborgsspelningen

Sofia Andersson
23 feb, 2017

Många slussar måste passeras innan jag når Elvis Costello, eller Declan MacManus som han egentligen heter. Snart hörs ett piggt hej från Vancouver, Kanada. Vi kommer snart in på samtalsämnet svensk musik.
- Att säga att Abba kommer från Sverige är som att säga att The Beatles kommer från Liverpool. Abba belongs to the world, slår Elvis Costello fast, och vem är jag att säga emot?
I fjol släppte 62-åringen sina memoarer, som av vissa läsare beskrivits som en kärleksförklaring till musiken.
- Boken har många ord och tankar i sig. Musik är den röda tråden. Det var inte menat att bli en kronologisk berättelse utan snarare en historia om musikens effekt.

Fick glasögonen av skivbolaget
I memoarerna beskriver Costello sitt första möte med popskivbolaget Stiff Records på 70-talet. De såg honom mer som en låtskrivare än artist på grund av det anonyma utseendet, tror Costello. Han fick sedan ett par glasögon i handen och de sa ”sätt på dig de här”. Det var som att bli Stålmannen, fast baklänges, skriver han.
- Jag känner mig fortfarande som en outsider. Jag är inte berättigad att göra någonting. Om publiken vill höra mig så är det fantastiskt men varje turné känns som den sista. Jag har ingen auktoritet att göra det här i all oändlighet utan måste visa att det håller.

Droger, alkohol och otrohet
I boken finns även skildringar som bekräftar den stereotypiska bilden av rockstjärnelivet ute på vägarna. Åren har kantats av droger, alkohol och otrohet.
Hur lyckades du hålla dig borta från trubbel?
- Det gjorde jag inte. Men trubbel definierade mig inte. Jag har aldrig berättat historier för att de skulle bli applåderade.
Karriären sträcker sig över fyra decennier och listan med samarbeten kan göras lång. När han får frågan om vilka som betytt mest nämner han svenska operasångerskan Ann Sofie von Otter, som enligt Costello alltid gör saker på ett ovanligt och vackert vis.
- Jag är lyckligt lottad som kan försörja mig på yrket. Jag ser inte på det som att jag är en del av en musikindustri. Det har bara blivit så, säger han.
- Ingenting har varit planerat men möjligheterna har dykt upp en efter en. Och när någon frågar om man vill skriva musik med Paul McCartney så vore det galet att säga nej, eller hur?

Google translation -

"I am lucky"
MUSIC Exclusive Interview with Elvis Costelllo for Gothenburg gig

Sofia Andersson
 07:00 - 23 February 2017
Many locks have passed before I reach Elvis Costello, or Declan MacManus as his real name. Soon you will hear a spirited hello from Vancouver, Canada. We will soon enter the talk of Swedish music.
- To say that ABBA from Sweden is like saying that The Beatles from Liverpool. Abba belongs to the world, beat Elvis Costello firm, and who am I to argue?
Last year, 62-year-old released his memoirs, which some readers described as a declaration of love for music.
- The book has many words and thoughts in themselves. Music is the common thread. It was not meant to be a chronological narrative but rather a story about the power of music.

Got glasses of record company
In his memoirs, Costello describes his first meeting with popskivbolaget Stiff Records in the 70's. They saw him more as a songwriter than an artist because of the anonymous look, think Costello. He then got a pair of glasses in his hand and said, "Put on these." It was like being Superman, in reverse, he writes.
- I still feel like an outsider. I'm not authorized to do anything. If the audience wants to hear me, it's amazing but each tour feels like the last. I have no authority to do this indefinitely, but must show that it holds.

Drugs, alcohol and infidelity
The book also includes stories that confirm the stereotypical image of the rock star life on the road. The years have been marked by drugs, alcohol and infidelity.
How did you manage to keep yourself out of trouble?
- I did not. But trouble-defined me. I never told stories that they would be applauded.
His career spanning four decades and list of collaborations is long. When asked about who meant the most he mentions the Swedish opera singer Anne Sofie von Otter, which according to Costello always does things in an unusual and beautiful way.
- I am lucky that can support myself in the profession. I do not look at it like I'm a part of the music industry. It has just been so, he says.
- Nothing has been planned but the possibilities have emerged one after another. And when someone asks if you want to write music with Paul McCartney that would be crazy to say no, right?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The story of the new blue chair

https://twitter.com/ReCreateCompany/sta ... 0572921859

Photo by ReCreate Design Co.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello på Göta Lejon - DN.SE
http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrec ... ota-lejon/

I'm at the airport, about to fly to Oslo for Monday's show . With only my 'phone I can't access this text or translate it - maybe someone else will do it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rough translation from software via Jill on f/book-

Between The talk will be the greatest benefit when Elvis Costello stands on the Gota Lejon scene. Musically, however, it is quite shaky during the long solo show.

Johanna Paulsson

It's almost wrong to call it a concert. Elvis Costello's "Detour" tour is more of a solo performance with the sextiotvåårige singer himself in the lead role. As well as "special guest" after a hat replacement.

The tracklist looking up sympathetically developed through a career that continues to shelter from the wind; This is both finds and rarities as well as brand new songs from the upcoming musical "A face in the crowd." In the background, he has placed a giant tube televisions of childhood model, where videos, photographs and other nostalgia rock roll past. Such a device he has once tried to open with a screwdriver to find my father, Ross MacManus dance band musician who performed in the box.

Father and idol passed away in 2011, but is very much alive among Costello many anecdotes. And for me it will be warmly humorous talk between (spiked with some Trumpsmockor) proceeds. Like when he faced "Poison Moon" says he turned off the lights at home to no one would see that he was listening to their own song on the radio.

Musically is the other hand fairly uncertain for two and a half hours. Some versions become too skramligt grated on any of the many different guitars, acoustic stålsträngat or electrified. This applies both to the opening song "Waiting for the End of the World" as when he is making a mess "Watching the Detectives" by sampling itself. The voice is erratic scant, especially initially, but later also noticed obvious limitations.

It works best at the piano in a dark and dramatic thunderous "Shipbuilding", written during the Falklands War but viable today. Or when he embarks on a standard "Walkin 'My Baby Back Home" with delicate finger picking and echo from the past. "Alison" is performed without a microphone, but the second time around encore claws he presented "Pump It Up" followed by skivhyllningen "45". Parts of the audience is ready to go long before "(What's so funny 'bout) Peace, love and understanding" set point. It feels more like pathetic separation anxiety than generosity.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Now I'm told this is of the Stockholm show
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Gothenburg is Sweden's "second city," a pretty big, culturally aware place.

So....why no setlist?
krm

Post by krm »

https://www.gp.se/n%C3%B6je/musik/coste ... -1.4170705

Costello är en storartad underhållare
Konsertrecensioner Genom hela sin karriär har Elvis Costello prövat nya och spännande samarbeten. Han har medvetet valt bort de breda genvägarna för mer otrampade stigar, alltid varit öppen för och nyfiken på annorlunda ingångar till sitt eget artisteri.

Jan Andersson
22:09 - 23 feb, 2017

Men trots en tydlig ambition att utforska och gärna växelverka med sin musikaliska samtid, nu senast med The Roots, har Elvis Costello samtidigt haft ett vakande öga i backspegeln.

Det blir inte minst tydligt den här kvällen i Konserthuset som Costello delvis tillägnar sin döde far, storbandssångaren och trumpetaren Ross MacManus. Och det gör absolut ingenting. Få artister kan hantera känslofylld nostalgi med sådan skärpa och briljans som Elvis Costello.

Han inleder med gamla Waiting for the end of the world och strax efter Accidents will happen, Church underground och en jättefin Everyday I write the book, och redan där står det klart att Elvis Costello är spelsugen och liksom på tårna.

Scenen är enkelt men effektivt uppbyggd med en jättelik gammal tjock-tv som visar filmer, familjefotografier och annat som hjälpte till att forma och förvandla Declan MacManus, från en ung spoling i 60-talets swinging London till en lillgammal pubrockare, argsint new wave-punkare och storögd Tin Pan Alley-konnässör, hela vägen fram till dagens 62-åriga popstjärna Elvis Costello.

Han är såklart en storartad underhållare. Rolig, avslappnad och uppenbarligen bekväm med att bjuda på personliga anekdoter och sköna historier ur sin hyllade biografi Unfaithful music & disappearing ink som kom härom året. Jag skulle gladeligen sitta i två timmar och bara höra honom prata. Men det är ändå när Elvis Costello spelar – och sjunger – som kvällen verkligen lyfter.

Ensam på scen med sina sex gitarrer och en flygel bjuder han på en underbart vacker Shipbuilding och en nervig, intensiv Deep dark truthful mirror. Lite senare får vi Veronica, en distad och stökig Watching the detectives, Charles Aznavours längtansfyllda She och en Alison ute bland publiken.

Så visst blir det en slags best of-kväll men det är ändå så många sånger som saknas att han hade kunnat köra en helt ny konsert i morgon, med helt olika förutsättningar och helt andra låtar – och vi hade troligen varit lika nöjda då. Så omfattande är hans låtkatalog.

Det sagt är det bara två låtar jag hade velat byta ut, sega Viceroy's Row och Oliver's Army, som nog kräver fullt band för att riktigt komma till sin rätt.

Jan Andersson
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You Tube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXP55z-6fTQ ) with following partial songs:
EDIWTB
Accidents Will Happen
Oliver's Army
Deep Dark Truthful mirror
Little White Lies
Veronica
She
WTD
Tears Of A Clown (Alison medley?)
That Day Is Done
Man Out Of Time
No Man's Woman
PLU
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.