Elvis sings duet with Vega , in Italian, March 2017

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis sings duet with Vega , in Italian, March 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

It seems unlikely but this blog seems to suggest that Elvis has guested on a duet recording by a Spanish singer of a Eurovision song from the 1960s. Pete Thomas plays drums on the recording so maybe something got lost in translation.

http://santiagoalcanda.blogspot.ie/2017 ... obras.html

Extract via Google translate -

The Cordovan Vega has gone back to her childhood days when her parents put Italian songs on her and she has dared to record her first album of versions, all in Italian, and with a providential duet nothing less and nothing less than with Elvis Costello.

VEGA & Elvis Costello Dio Come Ti Amo

http://www.subterfuge.com/noticias/vega ... singl-1871

http://www.lahiguera.net/musicalia/arti ... isco/7465/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY9vR0DsNY
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis guesting on album by Vega (March 2017) ?

Post by Man out of Time »

Vega's official Facebook page includes a post she made on 5 June 2016 (when Elvis was on Detour in Spain). There is a photo of EC and Vega (right) and Sebastian Krys (left). According to Wikipedia, Sebastian Krys is "an Argentine-born American audio engineer and record producer." Interestingly, Krys produced albums for La Santa Cecilia in 2014 and 2016. La Marisoul from La Santa Cecilia sang on Wise Up Ghost of course.
Vega Official Facebook page
Vega Official Facebook page
Facebook VegaOficial 050616.JPG (54.86 KiB) Viewed 13384 times
The caption translated into English reads: " Nothing better than a weekend with friends. Thank you Elvis Costello and @sebastiankrys for a wonderful dinner and an unforgettable evening show."

No hint that she had done any more than have dinner with EC and watch his show (presumably either the one that night in Madrid, or the one on 4 June in Zaragosa). But it seems possible that EC has recorded with her, during his time in Spain, which would explain why he is in the company of Vega and Sebastian Krys.

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:It seems unlikely but this blog seems to suggest that Elvis has guested on a duet recording by a Spanish singer of a Eurovision song from the 1960s. Pete Thomas plays drums on the recording so maybe something got lost in translation.

http://santiagoalcanda.blogspot.ie/2017 ... obras.html
This is a link to a radio show playlist, and you can hear the show here:
http://mvod.lvlt.rtve.es/resources/TE_S ... 238180.mp3

The song with Elvis is 36 minutes in. He sings entirely in Italian!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's a cover of the entry for Italy in Eurovision song contest in 1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY9vR0DsNY

A version that predated the Eurovison contest -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KDpfvb2-Y

Shirley Bassey covered it in 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIpuuPJirMQ
And No Coffee Table

http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2017/ ... 67113.html

Escucha la nueva canción de Vega cantando en italiano con Elvis Costello
La composición forma parte del próximo disco de la intérprete, 'Non Ho L'età'

Non Ho L'età, es el nuevo álbum de Vega. Editado por La Madriguera Records y Subterfuge Records, en este trabajo la artista cordobesa hace un recorrido por sus canciones favoritas de la música italiana. Se centra en las décadas de los 50 y los 60 teniendo como referentes a Modugno, Celentano, Mina, Cinquetti o Conte.

Es un disco cantando íntegramente en italiano y el primero de la artista exclusivamente como intérprete. Vega desgrana el repertorio desde un punto de vista muy personal pero respetando la esencia de los originales. En este álbum, merece una mención especial la colaboración en Dio come ti amo de Elvis Costello, la primera colaboración del londinense con un artista español hasta la fecha. Costello aporta su inconfundible sello en esta peculiar versión de la canción, popularizada en el 1966 por Domenico Modugno. Vega y Costello, unen sus voces cantando ambos en italiano logrando una reinterpretación de este clásico de la música italiana.

"Estas cosas si las piensas no salen. Conocí a Elvis Costello en Los Ángeles, en la presentación de su libro. Se lo propuse. Me dijo que le mandase las canciones y de ahí surgió el contacto. Finalmente, el tema lo eligió él. Y me dijo que lo quería cantar en italiano", cuenta Vega. "Aún la oigo y a veces no me lo creo. Me siento muy afortunada. Esta colaboración te da aliento. Porque a veces tenemos demasiadas noticias negativas sobre la música y cómo está de mal la industria y esta colaboración es algo positivo. Estoy encantada", añade la cantante.

Non Ho L'età significa "no tengo edad", lo que explica a la perfección la esencia del disco: es un álbum familiar, para disfrutarlo con padres, hijos, sobrinos, abuelos y amigos. Lleno de canciones que han forjado muchos recuerdos imborrables en la memoria de distintas generaciones, es un álbum para compartir.

Non Ho L'età fue grabado en Los Ángeles en los estudios Capitol Records. Producido por Sebastian Krys y Vega, y masterizado por Antonio Baglio. Cuenta con Pete Thomas a la batería, John Falcone al bajo, Kike Fuentes a las guitarras, Roger Manning Jr. a los teclados, Sean Billings a la trompeta, Humberto Ruíz al trombón y Pepe, de La Santa Cecilia, al acordeón.

Google translation:

Listen to the new Vega song by singing in Italian with Elvis Costello
The composition is part of the singer's next album, 'Non Ho L'età'

Non Ho L'età , is Vega's new album. Edited by La Madriguera Records and Subterfuge Records, in this work the Cordovan artist makes a tour of her favorite songs of Italian music. It focuses on the decades of the 50s and 60s having as reference to Modugno, Celentano, Mina, Cinquetti or Conte.

It is an album singing entirely in Italian and the first of the artist exclusively as an interpreter. Vega reveals the repertoire from a very personal point of view but respecting the essence of the originals. In this album, the collaboration in Dio come ti amo by Elvis Costello, the first collaboration of the Londoner with a Spanish artist to date, deserves special mention. Costello brings his unmistakable stamp in this peculiar version of the song, popularized in 1966 by Domenico Modugno. Vega and Costello, join their voices singing both in Italian achieving a reinterpretation of this classic of Italian music.

"These things if you think about them they do not go out. I met Elvis Costello in Los Angeles, in the presentation of his book.I proposed to him. She told me to send him the songs and from that came the contact. Finally, the subject chose him. And he told me that I wanted to sing in Italian, "says Vega. "I still hear it and sometimes I do not believe it. I feel very lucky. This collaboration gives you encouragement. Because sometimes we have too much negative news about music and how bad the industry is and this collaboration is a positive thing. I'm delighted," Adds the singer.

Non Ho L'età means "I'm not old", which explains perfectly the essence of the album: it's a family album, to enjoy with parents, children, nephews, grandparents and friends. Filled with songs that have forged many unforgettable memories in the memory of different generations, it is an album to share.

Non Ho L'età was recorded in Los Angeles at Capitol Records. Produced by Sebastian Krys and Vega, and mastered by Antonio Baglio. He has Pete Thomas on drums, John Falcone on bass, Kike Fuentes on guitars, Roger Manning Jr. on keyboards, Sean Billings on trumpet, Humberto Ruiz on trombone and Pepe on La Santa Cecilia on accordion.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis sings duet with Vega , in Italian, March 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

Didn't Elvis sing at least a verse of All This Useless Beauty in Italian during some shows in Italy ? I'm guessing it was probably during shows there in 1998. Maybe someone with more time could check recordings of these shows

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2-05_Genoa

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2-09_Turin

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -11_Modena

That song was , of course, inspired by time Elvis spent in Italy while Cait was learning Italian.
And No Coffee Table

He sings the Italian lyrics on the Costello & Nieve box set.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes...I saw many times ATUB sung with Italian lyric. I think I always notated it. Will check the archives tomorrow John.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Thanks for the heads up. :)
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
And No Coffee Table

https://www.facebook.com/VegaOficial/po ... 3359839544

DIO, COME TI AMO
Vega ft. Elvis Costello

Probablemente sea una de las canciones más especiales en el repertorio de “Non Ho L’età”. La canción compuesta por Domenico Modugno, fue la representante de Italia en el Festival de Eurovisión de 1966, interpretada por el propio Modugno. Pero antes de su debut en el concurso europeo fue presentada como un duo en el Festival de Sanremo de ese mismo año, por una joven Gigliola Cinquetti y el mismísimo Modugno.

También es muy conocida la versión en solitario que hizo Cinquetti, más dulce e inocente de cómo yo la entiendo.

En octubre de 2015 tuve la suerte de conocer a Elvis Costello en la presentación de su libro “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink” en Los Angeles. Más allá de lo bonito y lo mágico del momento de compartir un rato de backstage con alguien a quién admiras, quiero compartir con vosotros el momento en que no sólo dijo sí a nuestra propuesta de colaborar en “Non Ho L’età” (fue Sebastian Krys quién se lo propuso con una “yo” a su lado nerviosa mirando al suelo muerta de vergüenza; aún recuerdo cuando conocí a Jack Johnson y me pregunto si era músico y mi respuesta también mirando al suelo fue “ a veces” jajaja en fin ..). ¿Por dónde iba?… eso, no sólo dijo que sí a participar en el disco, dijo que sí a hacerlo en italiano y lo más importante dijo sí eligiendo esta canción de entre todas las demos de “Non Ho L’età” que le mandamos. ¿Por qué “Dio, come ti amo”?

Hay unos versos destacados al principio de su libro que llamaron mucho mi atención: “Don’t try to touch my heart, It’s darker than you think, And don’t try to read my mind because it’s full of disappearing ink”. Alguién que habla así de sí mismo no podría haber elegido otra canción. La demo que le mandamos de “Dio, come ti amo” ya respiraba esa oscuridad que tiene la versión definitiva. Es propia de quienes sienten el amor de una forma tan profunda, tan tan profunda, que acaba llegando a las profundidades de uno mismo, a nuestra parte mas oscura. Mi, nuestro, “Dio, come ti amo” esta re-versionada para acompañar mentalmente una escena de “El Padrino”, cualquiera en la que sentir ese amor de esa forma sea un pecado, un drama de consecuencias tortuosas, pero por otro lado inevitable. Como Romeo y Julieta.

Los metales de Sean Billings y Humberto Ruiz, así como las guitarras de Kike Fuentes, hacen de esta peculiar versión una pieza casi de cine. La interpretación tanto de Costello como la mía estan en esa clave casi lírica dramática, otorgándole en mi opinión el peso necesario para transportar al oyente a la experiencia de un amor desgarrado, profundo, que permanece impertérrito y solemne en la vida venga lo que venga.

Una de las joyas del disco, espero que ya la hayáis disfrutado. Esta disponible en todas las plataformas digitales de streaming, y con descarga inmediata con la preventa digital del álbum en itunes. Tenéis los enlaces en el post prefijado en mi página oficial de Facebook arriba del todo ;)

Un abrazo!
V.

Google translation:

Dude, eat it, I love it.
Vega ft. Elvis Costello

It is probably one of the most special songs in the repertoire of "Non Ho L'età". The song composed by Domenico Modugno, was the representative of Italy in the Festival of Eurovision of 1966, interpreted by the own Modugno. But before its debut in the European contest was presented like a duo in the Festival of Sanremo of that same year, by a young Gigliola Cinquetti and the very Modugno.

It is also well known the solo version that made Cinquetti, sweeter and innocent of how I understand it.

In October of 2015 I was lucky enough to meet Elvis Costello at the presentation of his book "Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink" in Los Angeles. Beyond the beautiful and magical moment of sharing a moment of backstage with someone you admire, I want to share with you the moment when he not only said yes to our proposal to collaborate in "Non Ho L'età" (it was Sebastian Krys who proposed it with a nervous "I" on his side staring at the floor dead with embarrassment, I still remember when I met Jack Johnson and I wonder if he was a musician and my answer also looking at the floor was "sometimes" lol in the end (I.e. Where did he go? ... that, not only said yes to participate in the album, he said yes to do it in Italian and most importantly he said yes choosing this song from all the demos of "Non Ho L'età" we sent. Why "Dio, come ti amo"?

There are a few highlights at the beginning of his book that called my attention: "Do not try to touch my heart, it's darker than you think, and do not try to read my mind because it's full of disappearing ink." Someone who speaks thus to himself could not have chosen another song. The demo that we sent of "Dio, come ti amo" already breathed that darkness that has the definitive version. It is characteristic of those who feel love in a way so deep, so deep, that it reaches the depths of oneself, our darkest part. My, our, "Dio, come ti amo" is re-versioned to mentally accompany a scene of "The Godfather", any where feeling that love in that way is a sin, a drama of tortuous consequences, but on the other hand inevitable. Like Romeo and Juliet.

The metals of Sean Billings and Humberto Ruiz, as well as the guitars of Kike Fuentes, make this peculiar version an almost cinematic piece. The interpretation both of Costello and mine are in that almost lyrical key dramatic, granting in my opinion the necessary weight to transport the listener to the experience of a deep, broken love that remains unbroken and solemn in life come what may.

One of the jewels of the album, I hope you already enjoyed it. It is available on all digital streaming platforms, and with immediate download with the digital album preview in itunes. You have the links in the post preset on my official Facebook page at the top;)

A hug!
V.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The album featuring this will be on sale tomorrow, March 3rd. Any orders through this link will pay a fee to the forum -

https://www.amazon.es/Non-Ho-LEta-Vega/ ... ar-strip-0

It's even available on cassette.

Other options here -

http://www.vegaoficial.com/

Vega reads Elvis -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvZDTABSSf/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I have to have physical copies of anything featuring Elvis. I didn't go as far as getting the vinyl but couldn't resist the cassette . Amazon Spain say they are still waiting to get it in stock.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Love from Vega for my tongue in cheek Tweet.